AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Saints Go Marchin' On
PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:21 am 
Major General
Major General

No Smoke without Fire ...

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Didn't realize Forster was back. That's great stuff! :thumbup:

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 11:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Didn't realize Forster was back. That's great stuff! :thumbup:

Yep

Noticed Ben Foster was back for West Brom as well both of them had some nasty injuries

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton have signed QPR striker Charlie Austin for a fee reported to be about £4m.

The 26-year-old has joined the Saints on a four-and-a-half-year contract after passing a medical.

Austin scored 18 Premier League goals as QPR were relegated last season, and was rewarded with an England call-up.

The former Burnley player, whose contract at Loftus Road was due to expire in the summer, has scored 10 goals in 16 appearances this season.

Austin has not featured for Rangers, who are 17th in the Championship, since mid-December because of injury.

He joins a Southampton side 12th in the Premier League.

Les Reed, Saints' executive director of football, said: "This signing is an indicator of our intent to finish the season strongly and continue the progress we've made in the last few years.

"Charlie shares that ambition. He has a fantastic goalscoring pedigree, but remains hungry to improve and develop as a footballer - something that convinced him that Southampton is the ideal next step in his career."

Austin, who has scored 130 goals since joining Swindon Town in 2009, will join up with his new team-mates next week.

"As soon as Southampton showed an interest that was the one club I wanted to go to," said Austin, who was linked with a move to Newcastle last summer.

"You see the progression from when I was playing against Southampton for Swindon. For me, it was important to come to a club that's on the up and that's what I've got here."

Think it's a good signing for them he's a similar style to the strikers they have I wonder if this might mean Pelle is off either in this window or in the summer seen a few rumours linking him back to Italy as they only play 1 striker up top.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:22 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton will be without striker Charlie Austin for "several weeks" because of a hamstring injury, according to manager Ronald Koeman.

Austin was injured during Tuesday's 2-0 defeat at Bournemouth, limping off after an hour at the Vitality Stadium.

The 26-year-old, who joined Saints from QPR in January, scored the winning goal against Manchester United on his debut.

But he has failed to score in his four subsequent appearances, including two successive starts.

Fellow forward Shane Long took a knock to a knee at Bournemouth, but his injury is not as serious.

Steve Cook and Benik Afobe scored as Saints lost a league match to the Cherries for the first time since 1958.

Manager Ronald Koeman changed his formation from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2 in the first half, but said his side's defeat had more to do with attitude than tactics.

"We've played this system for several weeks - the system is perfect if you play against two strikers," said Koeman.

"But I had to recognise the left full-back of Bournemouth [Charlie Daniels] was very good, he created a lot of problems.

"There was a big difference with the way Bournemouth started the game. They were hungry and winning challenges. We didn't, and that's not tactics - that's belief, spirit, character, mentality.

"If you analyse the game and ask every player of Southampton, 'did you win or lose more battles?' all 10 will recognise they lost more."

He added: "Normally I like to defend the players, but not this time, I think. Bournemouth were more hungry than we were."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton are closing in on the appointment of Claude Puel as their manager. A deal to hire the 54-year-old as the replacement for Ronald Koeman following the Dutchman’s move to Everton is expected to be concluded by the end of the week.

Puel has never worked outside of France, having spent his playing career at Monaco, where he was coached by Arsène Wenger, before making his management debut in the principality. He won Ligue 1 in 2000 and then went on to enjoy a six-year spell at Lille, before taking over at Lyon and leading them to the Champions League semi-finals. He has spent the last four years as the coach of Nice, who last season finished fourth in Ligue 1.

Puel will be taking over a club that qualified for the Europa League following a sixth-place finish in the Premier League but yet again face a summer of transition. Alongside Koeman, Victor Wanyama has also left Southampton, joining Tottenham for £11m, while the striker Saido Mané is close to joining Liverpool for £30m.

Southampton signed Nathan Redmond from Norwich for £10m over the weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton are in negotiations with Lille over the transfer of Sofiane Boufal, with the clubs close to agreeing a deal that could be worth up to £21.2m (€25m) for the Morocco forward.

Boufal, who has also been tracked by Chelsea, Arsenal, Tottenham and Watford, has been told he will be allowed to leave Lille this summer after a spectacular breakthrough campaign that saw him score 11 times in his first full top-flight season.

The 22-year-old is currently recuperating after injuring a knee in May and is not expected to play again until the middle of next month. However, that has not stopped Southampton from firming up their interest, with the manager Claude Puel understood to have pushed for the signing after watching Boufal in action last season.

Talks began this week, with Southampton initially having a €15m bid rejected. But a source close to the player has indicated that there is a confidence between both parties that a deal can be agreed, with Lille holding out for a fee worth an initial €20m and €5m in potential future bonuses.

Boufal won the award for Best African Player in Ligue 1 and a product of the youth system at Angers, he is comfortable out wide or as a No10. Born in Paris, he opted to represent Morocco – for whom he qualifies through his parents – this year and made his debut against Cape Verde in March.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton have announced the signing of the attacking midfielder Sofiane Boufal from Lille for a club-record undisclosed fee. The 22-year-old Morocco international has agreed a five-year contract.

Boufal said: “I’m very, very happy to sign for Southampton and I am really excited to play in St Mary’s Stadium in front of the fans.

“Southampton showed big interest in signing me, and I can see that this club is the best place for me to continue my progression as a footballer.

“I hope I can achieve many great things with Southampton. It is a very good club, with excellent facilities, and I feel it is the perfect environment to continue my development.”

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton club captain Jose Fonte has handed in a transfer request.

The 33-year-old Portugal defender has 18 months left to run on his current deal, which he signed in October 2015.

Southampton's director of football Les Reed says the player has had the chance to sign an improved deal, but Fonte has now asked to leave the club.

"He's had several opportunities to improve the contract situation. He's reserved his right not to do that," Reed told BBC Radio Solent.

"He's made it very clear he would like to explore the opportunities for a transfer.

"That's where we are at the moment, Jose wants to leave the club. He's formally asked for a transfer."

Reed went on to confirm the club have not yet received any formal bid for the player, who joined Saints from Crystal Palace in January 2010, and has made 288 appearances.

Fonte was linked with a move to Manchester United in the summer after helping his country win Euro 2016, and he wrote on Instagram last month: "Just to set the record straight I did not reject a new contract. In fact, I have been informed by Southampton that they are not offering me a new contract."

However, Reed insists new terms have been offered to the former Benfica player: "What was offered to Jose was, in my view, quite significant off the back of the contract he signed in October 2015.

"Six months later we were prepared to improve that contract and extend it. He has turned down the opportunity to increase his salary, and he's turned down the opportunity to get another permanent year on his contract."

Think he'd be a big loss to them as he's been one of the few constants at that club and as captain he probably helps settle new managers and players in but it sounds to me like he's trying to cash in at 33 he's probably looking for a big deal off the back of Euro 2016.

Will be interesting to see what's on offer could he get a good offer in China so far they seem to be spending big on attackers rather than defenders but I guess a lot will depend on who his agent is and what his contacts in China are like. Obviously he's not going to get a mega bucks offer but a Euro 2016 winner might be able to get some interest.

He might get a good offer for a PL club who are looking for an experienced CB but not sure the big names would really go for him. Utd could do with some experience, Spurs/Arsenal are well stocked, City & Liverpool probably defend to high for him to be useful, Chelsea/Everton maybe have a use for him but not 100% sure they do anyone outside that top 7 is a step down.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton have reassured fans that the "best interests of the club" have been considered as news emerged of possible Chinese investment.

Stadium builder Lander Sports Development said it had struck a deal with Saints' owner Katharina Liebherr to buy into the club's holding company.

Liebherr said: "A potential partnership would need to clear multiple approvals and fulfil strict criteria."

Chinese companies have also invested in Manchester City and West Brom.

The Saints were rescued from the brink of bankruptcy by German-born Swiss businessman Markus Liebherr in 2009. Katharina inherited the club after her father's death in 2010 and became non-executive chairman in 2014.

Liebherr, who did not confirm a deal had been agreed, added: "Please understand that I can only make limited comments regarding this process but I can assure you that any steps we do take will be in the best interests of the club."

Southampton are 11th in the Premier League.

From what I can tell the club is basically self sustaining now Markus Liebherr invested a decent sum of money to get them back up the leagues but I don't think his daughter had any interest and has wanted to sell it so that owner investment stopped.

From what I see of the Chinese investors so far is those who invest as individuals are more interfearing but the investment companies tend to just want to learn what these clubs do so they can feed back to China and considering China is investing huge sums in youth football a club like Southampton who've developed loads of top British talent makes a lot of sense.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton are close to agreeing a deal to sign former Barcelona and Juventus centre-back Martin Caceres.

The Uruguayan, 29, will complete a move once a work permit has been granted and other formalities are concluded.

Caceres will provide cover after Virgil van Dijk was ruled out for up to three months with an ankle problem and Jose Fonte left for West Ham.

The 68-times capped defender left Juventus in the summer.

He made 77 appearances for the Italian champions across three spells and also played for Barcelona and Sevilla in the Spanish top flight.

Caceres has not made a competitive appearance since last February after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9