AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:13 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Saints Go Marchin' On
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton made a £33.4m profit last year - the first since the club went into administration in 2009.

The Premier League club's results for the year ending 30 June 2014 showed an increase after a £7.1m loss in 2013.

A record TV rights deal helped total revenue increase from £71.8m to £106m.

The figures do not include fees recouped from the sale of Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Rickie Lambert to Liverpool, Luke Shaw to Manchester United and Calum Chambers to Arsenal.

However chief financial officer David Bence said: "The profit from player trading has all been reinvested in transfer fees, player wages and additional football-related costs, in order to support the aspirations of the 2014/15 season."

The annual figures also confirmed that the club has approximately £50m debt, although the balance sheet showed net assets worth £31.8m, compared to liabilities of £1.6m last year.

Chief executive officer Gareth Rogers said: "It shows the health of the club and the group is strong and the foundations are there to be built on."

Swiss investor Markus Liebherr brought the then League One club out of administration before successive promotions earned Saints a Premier League place in 2012.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:06 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Nathaniel Clyne says he wants to play Champions League football after being linked with a move away from Southampton.

The right-back insists he is focused on playing for Saints at the moment, though, and is set to hold talks about his future at the end of the season.

Southampton boss Ronald Koeman has admitted it will be difficult to keep the England defender, who is reportedly a target for Manchester United.

And Clyne said he wants to win trophies and play in Europe’s premier competition.

Speaking at a fund-raising event for the Football Fighting Ebola campaign, he told Sky Sports News HQ: “It’s always good to have teams looking out for you, it shows how well you’ve been doing all season.

“I am going to take that, and keep on performing and be the best player I can be.

“Right now I’m concentrating on playing for Southampton, there are still games to play, and try to push for that fourth spot.

“I am an ambitious person and I want to play Champions League football. To win the title and the FA Cup, that is what I want.”

The south coast club currently lie fifth in the Premier League table, four points off a Champions League spot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:39 am 
Colonel
Colonel

I talked about Cline when we got beat by Palace in one of the cups a few seasons back (Darien Ambrose scored a peach IIRC). But Rafael came good shortly after that. Would happily take Clyne this close season. Think he deserves a chance at the CL. Although if Saints can get 4th (big ask currently) then he should stay, develop a bit more there and seal them a bumper pay-day should he then move after that.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:59 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

the nut's named eric wrote:
I talked about Cline when we got beat by Palace in one of the cups a few seasons back (Darien Ambrose scored a peach IIRC). But Rafael came good shortly after that. Would happily take Clyne this close season. Think he deserves a chance at the CL. Although if Saints can get 4th (big ask currently) then he should stay, develop a bit more there and seal them a bumper pay-day should he then move after that.

It depends on the price really he's only got 1 year on his deal in the summer and he's 24 so you're not buying potential you're buying the ready made article so if you compare him to say Debuchy who went to Arsenal last summer from Newcastle we should be paying between £10-15m for him and at that price it makes some sense as LVG clearly doesn't fancy Rafael.

I think it's probably time for him to make the jump if he gets the chance because his stock will never be higher and these are his peak years there's no guarantee that Southampton can push again next season.

He's a player I've always liked the look of but he made a smart move going to Southampton rather than going straight to a top club as they were all watching him he's developed well he broke in at Palace when he was 17/18 so he's got plent of experience.

For a CL club he's still a risk we've seen this season that the PL isn't really all that especially defensively and Clyne has no experience of European Football and only 3 or 4 caps for England so he would be a gamble.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 6:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton boss Ronald Koeman says Nathaniel Clyne's future needs to be sorted before the end of the season.

The 24-year-old, who joined from Crystal Palace in July 2012, is under contract until the summer of 2016.

The England defender has been linked to a number of clubs and recently said he believed the Champions League was the "next step" in his progression.

"We are talking to Clyne and his agent. We can't wait until the end of the season," Koeman told BBC Radio Solent.

"It's not like we need to know today or tomorrow but we are talking to them and we will try to do everything to keep the player but you need both parties for that."

Earlier in the week, Clyne said: "I'm flattered by the interest from the big clubs. It shows that I'm doing well and I've had a good season.

"I'm definitely ambitious. Every player would love to be playing in the Champions League and winning trophies and titles. That's what you play football for - that's the dream.

"I think I need experience playing European football. We're doing well with Southampton and hopefully we can get there.

"That would be great. So I'm just concentrating on Southampton. There are a few more games to play, so I'm just concentrating on getting to the fourth spot."

Clyne was rested at the weekend but Koeman said it was not contract related and that he would return for Saturday's game at Stoke.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Nathaniel Clyne says he is happy to stay at Southampton, despite reports linking him with a move this summer.

The 24-year-old is out of contract at the end of next season, with talks over a new deal yet to bear fruit.

Chelsea and Manchester United have been credited with interest in the right-back, who has made 101 appearances for the south coast club since making his debut three years ago.

Ahead of Saturday's match at Sunderland, Saints boss Ronald Koeman hinted he wanted an answer one way or another, saying: "In football, if you go in the last season of your contract, we don't like that."

Clyne told the Southampton Daily Echo: "I am enjoying my football for Southampton, playing week-in, week-out and it is an up-and-coming club. I am happy playing for Southampton and happy to stay at Southampton as well.

"My agent is negotiating, so I will just leave it with my agent and I am just going to concentrate on playing my football."

I wonder if the story of the link to Utd came from his agent or a genuine interest from Utd

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:22 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton forward Jay Rodriguez has signed a new contract with the Premier League club until 2019.

The 25-year-old has been out since April 2014 after rupturing his anterior cruciate knee ligament, but recently returned to full training.

Signed from Burnley in 2012, he has scored 21 goals and made his England debut in November 2013 against Chile.

"It's been a tough year," he told the club's website. "It's now about looking forward to the future."

He added: "I'm delighted. It's a great club and we've done amazingly this year."

Rodriguez's previous deal was due to run until 2016 and he was linked with a summer move to Tottenham, despite the injury suffered in a 4-1 defeat at Manchester City, after scoring 17 goals last season.

"This is very good news for the club because there was some speculation about Jay and interest from other big clubs," said Southampton manager Ronald Koeman.

"It is a compliment to the club that we have an agreement."

Be good to see him back next season

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 1:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton manager Ronald Koeman insists there will be no repeat of last summer's mass exodus when the transfer window opens at the end of the season.

Saints raked in almost £100million last year by selling the likes of Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Calum Chambers but Koeman's side regrouped and are on course to qualify for next season's Europa League following an excellent campaign.

Jay Rodriguez, who is back in training after a 13-month absence with an anterior cruciate ligament injury, signed a new four-year contract earlier this week while the club are increasingly optimistic that Manchester United target Nathaniel Clyne can be persuaded to follow suit.

"I don't think it will be the same changes in the club that we had last season, I don't think so," Koeman said.

"It's still quiet regarding all the players, there has not been one serious bid on the table for a player of Southampton.

"It's all about rumours in the press, but nobody, no club, has knocked on the door to have questions about players of Southampton.

"Of course, it's maybe too early. Everybody is waiting until the end of the season to make decisions about players and transfers and we will wait, but normally, it will be a more quiet summer than last year."

Southampton face a fight to hold on to Toby Alderweireld, whose impressive loan spell may persuade Atletico Madrid to keep the defender or sell him elsewhere for a higher price.

Saints are believed to have a £6.8m option to make Alderweireld's move permanent but Atletico are able to cancel that agreement for a fee of around £1.5m.

"(Chief executive) Les Reed is trying to have contact with Atletico Madrid," Koeman said.

"We know that Toby would like to stay, we would like that he stays at the club but he has a contract with Atletico Madrid and that's sometimes the difficulty.

"I think we need one or two weeks more to know exactly what will happen to Atletico Madrid about Toby Alderweireld."

If Alderweireld does not extend his stay on the south coast, Koeman could rekindle an interest in Ron Vlaar, who is out of contract in the summer and will line up for Aston Villa at St Mary's on Saturday.

"I know Vlaar very well, he is a very good defender," Koeman said.

"The interest before was true but now if we can keep Toby in the team and in the club then we don't need another one in that position."

The focus for now remains on Clyne, with Reed claiming that recent talks have been "very, very positive" and he expects a resolution to be found "sooner rather than later".

"I've been in football a long time and until the contract is signed, anything can happen," Koeman said.

"Of course, that's important that Jay signed a new contract and, of course, to keep Clyne in the club.

"It's not easy to find a good right full-back in the way we play and in the way I like to play with my right and left full-backs.

"He's an international player and if we can keep that kind of player in the club that will be very positive to everybody."

Alderweireld, Schnierderlin & Clyne will probably go but they are probably the only first team players likely to leave in the summer can't see the rest of their first team regulars getting better offers.

They sound pretty positive about Clyne and if Alderweireld wants to stay they might be able to negotiate a slightly higher fee to secure the deal with Atletico.

They will probably need to look for a better number 2 keeper in the summer as he will need to start the season in goal while Forster recovers from his knee injury.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton are close to the €5m (£3.6m) signing of the right-back Cédric Soares from Sporting Lisbon. The 23-year-old Portugal international is due a medical at the south-coast club and the deal, which stands to rise to €7m with add-ons, could be a precursor to the departure of Nathaniel Clyne for Liverpool.

Clyne, who has one year to run on his contract at St Mary’s, has been the subject of a failed £10m bid from Liverpool but they are expected to return with a better offer. Clyne is valued by Southampton at £15m.

Southampton have also explored the possibility of taking another right-back, Carl Jenkinson, on loan from Arsenal, as they look to bolster their squad before a season that will feature the extra demand of a Europa League campaign. If the club were to progress from the third qualifying round to the group stage, they would add 10 matches to their season before Christmas.

Cédric, who played in Portugal’s 1-0 friendly win over Italy in Geneva on Tuesday, has been chased by Stoke City but Southampton appear to have won the race. His contract at Sporting is due to expire next summer and talks over fresh terms have broken down.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 4:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton have terminated the contract of record signing Dani Osvaldo.

Striker Osvaldo joined the Saints in the summer of 2013 for a fee of around £15m but, after a bright start to his career in England, the wheels soon fell off.

By the end of January 2014 he had been banned for three games for violent conduct, fined and suspended by the club for a training ground incident - he was alleged to have head-butted team-mate Jose Fonte - and loaned out to Juventus.

He returned to Italy at the start of last season, this time with Inter Milan, and scored seven goals in 18 matches before further off-field trouble.

Osvaldo failed to turn up for training on two successive days and, after giving no reason for his absence, he was suspended by the Serie A club and eventually sent back to England.

A loan move to Argentina with Boca Juniors followed, but that deal came to an end on June 30 and Southampton have cut their losses with two years remaining on his contract.

For a club who get so much right in the transfer market they really got this one wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Netherlands and Feyenoord midfielder Jordy Clasie is to have a medical at Southampton in the next 24 hours.

Clasie's intermediary has told Sky Sports News HQ that his client is in the final stages of talks with Southampton and is scheduled to have a medical on Wednesday.

Saints boss Ronald Koeman hopes the 24-year-old Feyenoord captain can be a replacement for Morgan Schneiderlin, who has joined Manchester United in a four-year deal worth around £25m.

Clasie, who has won 11 caps for the Netherlands, was left out of the Dutch club's pre-season friendly against Fortuna Dusseldorf on Sunday, adding to speculation he is set to leave the Eredivisie outfit.

He made two appearances as part of Louis van Gaal's 23-man Netherlands squad in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, coming on as a substitute for former Manchester City midfielder Nigel de Jong in their semi-final defeat to Argentina, and then starting the third-place play-off in which they beat hosts Brazil 3-0.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:17 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
They've signed him for £8m. We were widely expected to sign him last year. Think that's another astute signing by them.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:38 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
They've signed him for £8m. We were widely expected to sign him last year. Think that's another astute signing by them.

That was the summer where we were linked pretty much every Dutch player past or present by the press.

Was never sure how strong the actual link was.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Les Reed is not generally given to overstatement but the Southampton executive director is happy to make an exception. “Matt Targett has gone from base camp to the top of Everest,” Reed says. “His is the perfect illustration of the Southampton journey.”

Targett’s story is one that fires the dreams of boys across England. He enrolled in an after-school club at Cherbourg primary in Eastleigh, which was run by the Saints Foundation, and, when his ability was noted, he was recommended to one of Southampton’s 25 development centres.

From there, as an eight-year-old, Targett was taken on by the club’s academy and, having progressed through every age group, he made his first-team bow last season. The 19-year‑old left-back played 12 times for Ronald Koeman’s team and was a part of Gareth Southgate’s England squad at the European Under-21 Championship.

They love the Targett story at Southampton and who can blame them? The club are proud of their record of developing players and when Reed talks, he can drop plenty of names, from Alan Shearer to Theo Walcott, Gareth Bale and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain; from Calum Chambers and Luke Shaw to the current crop of James Ward‑Prowse, Harrison Reed and Targett.

Reed highlights how each of them has retained a strong connection to the club. “Gareth is a massive inspiration, because he is proof of the pudding,” Reed says. “He was here from eight years of age, he worked his way through and he ended up as the world’s most expensive player at Real Madrid. But he’s never really gone away.

“You get in touch with him and say: ‘Could you do a little voiceover for our academy induction video?’ And it’s no problem at all. The Ox is the same; Theo is the same. Calum still comes down to watch his mates playing for our under-21s.”

Targett, though, ticks a new box; he is the symbol of a breakthrough in talent identification that has delighted everyone at Southampton and the Premier League. Targett was spotted not by a flat-capped scout at the park or the Sunday league playing fields but by a foundation coach, who was working at his school.

Jake Flanagan, a midfielder who has been on the fringes of Southampton’s first team, was in the same year as Targett at Cherbourg primary and that was where he, too, came to the club’s attention. Greg Baker, the head of the Saints Foundation, says 12 boys over the past year have been recommended to the club’s development centres via the schools programme.

The foundation sends its coaches into 41 schools in the region and runs holiday courses and Baker is clear the charity’s work, which uses football as “the hook and the tool” but regularly goes beyond the game’s parameters, owes much to funding received from the Premier League.

The foundation gets a core grant of £75,000 from the league each year – which represents the majority of its grant funding – and it helps it to set up its outreach programmes, which engage with children, people with disabilities and vulnerable adults, such as those with addiction and mental health issues.

Baker talks about how the power of the Southampton badge, not to mention appearances from the club’s senior management and players or access to the facilities at St Mary’s Stadium, can draw in people who may otherwise be uninterested.

The foundation has links to local businesses and charitable agencies, which it can help, to borrow a phrase from Baker, by “sprinkling Saints dust on top”. The breadth of their activities is impressive, ranging from fishing, golf, kick-boxing and street-dance sessions to various innovative workshops.

Baker says the foundation employs 24 full or near full-time staff, plus 45 casual coaches, and it is financially independent, with no money coming directly from Southampton. The club, though, supports it in any number of ways, including accommodating its staff at St Mary’s. The foundation raised £2,700 from the auction of the match-ball from the 8-0 win over Sunderland.

The Premier League’s benevolent side rarely makes for big box-office. With the organisation set to collect more than £8bn from its new TV deal alone, the temptation is to ask what more it can put back. Under the current £5.5bn three-year deal, the Premier League distributes £168m to community programmes and facilities. A tiny amount it can be argued and it has been urged to do much more, such as contributing 5% of its total TV income – rather than just its domestic TV revenue – which would be around £400m.

The clubs see it differently, though. Baker’s previous job, for example, was at Comic Relief and he remembers how the league would donate £1m each year, which was broadly the same as businesses of a similar size. But while the others were applauded, the league was condemned. “We’d see tweets like: ‘The Premier League should have given more, £1m is the weekly wage of four footballers, this is ridiculous,’” Baker says. “But if you take a similar-sized business like, for example, a large supermarket, I can bet that the Premier League puts a lot more back in. The league gives so much to good causes.”

The Southampton chairman, Ralph Krueger, says the league ought not to be embarrassed about the money it makes: “If we are only looking at our personal interests and not giving back in any way, shape or form, then we should be embarrassed and ashamed. But right now, the Premier League has nothing to be ashamed about. I could throw a golf ball from our stadium and hit a multisport facility the foundation built at the St Mary’s school. To see what that has brought to that environment and those kids living in those block houses is really emotional.

“If we can invest in those kind of long-term facilities or take one person who is off a drug rehab project, give them support, take them out fishing and spend time with them … if only one person’s life changes so completely because of the foundation, that is such a beautiful thing. I have been able to see a few of those things.”

The elite player recruitment aspect of the Foundation’s work feels incidental, almost trivial, when set against the tales of hardship and rehabilitation, and yet few things fire the feel-good factor in a football community more surely than a local boy rising to play for his club. Reed has long been adamant the starting XI ought to include six academy-reared players.

The Premier League has poured £340m over four years into its elite player performance plan, which sought to overhaul academies, and Reed is a huge supporter of the headline reforms, chiefly the improvements in coaching and the better links to schools and education. Reed notes the league, through the EPPP, has assumed a lead role in player development – an area that would traditionally have been the preserve of the Football Association.

But he says the plan has not affected Southampton because they already had the same one themselves. “There is a myth about youth development in England and it’s born out of this excuse that only 0.1% make it to the top,” Reed says. “Therefore, if an academy gets one player through, they’ve done a great job.

“I said: ‘No.’ That’s got to be six. There’s no point running an academy at category one level if you think you’re only going to get one through every now and again. We have raised a banner and shown you can produce homegrown talent. You can get them on a journey.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Steven Caulker has joined Southampton on loan and is keen to prove himself after suffering back-to-back Premier League relegations with Cardiff City and last season, Queens Park Rangers.

The 23-year-old centre-back, a graduate of Tottenham’s academy, has signed for the season. Caulker, who has one England cap, scoring against Sweden in a November 2012 friendly, will fill the defensive void left by Toby Alderweireld’s move to Tottenham and a serious knee injury sustained by Florin Gardos.

Southampton are not understood to have a buy-out option as part of deal for which they paid a “substantial undisclosed loan fee”, according to QPR.

Caulker failed to impress after moving to QPR last summer for £8m – a similar fee to that paid by Cardiff to take him from Spurs in 2013. He is unavailable for Ronald Koeman’s side for Thursday night’s Europa League third-qualifying-round first leg at home to Vitesse Arnhem.

“As soon as I got the phone call to say a fee was agreed with Southampton I was delighted to get the opportunity to come and play under a great manager,” Caulker said. “This club is an ambitious one, so to be part of this is a great opportunity – it’s a chance for me to prove myself.”

Let's see if he can avoid 3 relegations in a row

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ronald Koeman has told Victor Wanyama that he is putting his career at risk with his current mindset while the Southampton manager suggested the midfielder ought to look at Morgan Schneiderlin for his inspiration.

Wanyama has told Koeman that he wants to leave Southampton, with Tottenham Hotspur keen to sign him, exactly as Schneiderlin did last summer. Southampton, though, stood in the way of Schneiderlin’s proposed move to White Hart Lane and, after refocusing to enjoy a fine season, the France midfielder has earned a transfer to Manchester United this time out.

Koeman omitted Wanyama from the squad that beat Norwich City 3-0 at St Mary’s on Sunday afternoon, after the Kenyan said that he was not in the right frame of mind to play. But Southampton will refuse to let him leave and Koeman made it clear that if Wanyama reapplied himself, he could earn a bigger move than one to Tottenham next summer, when he would have only one year to run on his contract.

“Maybe it’s good for Victor to talk to Morgan,” Koeman said. “Because I think Morgan is more happy now than he was last year, even to do the move that he wanted at that moment. We like to grow, we like to keep the best players. Of course, if there is a player with one year to go or who finishes his contract, then that situation is totally different.

“Victor has two more years of contract. Come on. If Victor comes back how we like, then there’s no problem. If he keeps going like this, then he is playing with his own future and that’s not good.”

Koeman was asked directly if Wanyama had specifically asked for a transfer. “Yes,” Koeman replied. “We had a meeting, and that’s true. But it’s the same as with Sadio [Mané] or anyone – nobody is for sale. It’s an easy answer and the players have to accept that.”

Southampton lost key players at the beginning of last summer and, by the time Schneiderlin said he wanted to get out for Tottenham, the club had closed the door on departures. It is a similar situation this time, with Southampton again having lost important players although, from the club’s point of view, there is even less scope for discussion because it is so late in the window.

“Schneiderlin’s situation [last summer] was still in the pre-season and this situation is in the last week of the transfer window – that makes difference,” Koeman said. “Victor can get his focus back. He is one of the key players and, after losing again for this season some good players, it has been the same statement as what we did to Morgan last year. No changing, nothing.

“It’s a difficult situation because Victor mentioned himself that he is not with his mind to the team. He did the training last Friday and, of course, it was so important to play against Norwich with players who are really committed to the team and really focused. The situation with Victor is that he has lost some focus to the team, to the club, and that was the reason why I decided to keep him out of the squad.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:04 pm 
Major General
Major General

You have to give it to southampton and koeman they keep loosing key players .. and its too late for koeman to find adequate replacement...

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Victor Wanyama is keen to put his failed transfer attempt from Southampton to Tottenham behind him.

The midfielder told Southampton that he wanted to move to White Hart Lane earlier in the season only for the St Mary’s club to insist he was not for sale. That led to Wanyama declaring himself to not be in the “right frame of mind” to play for the team he joined from Celtic in 2013.

The 24-year-old was subsequently left out of the Southampton’s 3-0 win against Norwich on 30 August but following the close of the transfer window, has returned to Ronald Koeman’s side and now wants to move on.

“I just don’t want to remember that situation,” Wanyama told the Southern Daily Echo. “Yes, sure, now I’ve forgotten what happened. I’m now progressing on my club and it’s been good, so I’m looking forward to putting in good performances.“

Southampton beat Premier League champions Chelsea 3-1 at Stamford Bridge on Saturday and Wanyama has described the result as one of his best for the south-coast club. “We expected a very very tough game and we showed what we can do,” said the Kenyan. “I think this is one of the best away wins. They’re a really really difficult team to beat, especially at Stamford Bridge, so we were very glad to have the maximum points.”

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez could require surgery on an ankle injury, manager Ronald Koeman has confirmed.

The England forward, 26, has not played since a 2-2 draw against Leicester on 17 October.

Rodriguez made a long-awaited return from a ruptured anterior cruciate knee ligament suffered in April 2014 at the start of the season.

"Jay is not good," Koeman said. "It's now a long time and we have to make a really tough decision how we treat it."

Rodriguez has made 12 appearances for Southampton this season, scoring three goals.

"His foot is a problem, it gives him a lot of pain. We did everything and now the final call may be surgery next week," the Saints boss added.

Koeman admitted he does not know how long the former Burnley player could be out of action if he requires an operation.

However, Virgil van Dijk and Shane Long have been declared fit for the visit of Stoke on Saturday.

Defender Van Dijk has recovered from a knee problem which forced him to withdraw from the Netherlands squad following their 3-2 victory against Wales on Friday.

Striker Long did not suffer any recurrence of an ankle injury while playing for the Republic of Ireland in their Euro 2016 play-off second leg against Bosnia.

I have to admit I didn't even realise he'd come back must be a real sucker punch for him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ronald Koeman will let Sadio Mané and Victor Wanyama sit “in the stands” if they agitate for a move away from Southampton. The manager has insisted the pair will remain at St Mary’s beyond the January transfer window despite strong interest from other Premier League clubs.

Koeman dropped Mané for last Saturday’s 1-0 league defeat at Norwich City after the Senegal forward was late for a team meeting, sparking fresh speculation he was headed for a transfer. But the Dutchman has continued to reject suggestions either Mané or Wanyama is itching for a move and vowed to banish anyone misbehaving in an attempt to force a transfer.

“If there is any player thinking if his behaviour is not good that makes it more easier for the player, then I’ll put the player in the stands until the end of their contract,” said Koeman. “Because in my opinion that’s not the way you have to do your job as a football player.”

Wanyama, a holding midfielder, has 18 months left on his deal, and Koeman said Southampton are continuing efforts to discuss a new long-term contract. Mané signed a four-year deal when he joined Southampton in 2014 but has been the subject of consistent speculation amid keen interest from Manchester United.

Southampton could look to cash in on Wanyama in the summer if he opts not to sign a contract, mirroring the process with Morgan Schneiderlin, who joined Manchester United last summer. However, Koeman insisted Mané and Wanyama are focused and enjoying their football.

Wanyama was sent off at Norwich, with the second yellow card described as stupid by Koeman. The Kenyan apologised for his behaviour, which he accepted was “reckless and irresponsible”.

Koeman said of Mané’s and Wanyama’s commitment: “I’m not doubting that. That’s the daily basis in communication with the players and it’s too easy to mention after the mistake of Sadio or the second yellow that the players are showing that they like to move.

“It’s too easy and it’s not like that. The players knows the position in the club and what we think about the players. That’s no reason to doubt about that. I don’t have doubts about that. They are important players and they like to be here. They like to continue, they like to make a good season, and that’s the most important. They are still happy. The contacts is to the players, the contacts is to the agents, and I have to believe in my players.”

The England goalkeeper Fraser Forster is closing on a return after nine months out recovering from knee surgery but Koeman said Saturday’s FA Cup third-round tie against Crystal Palace had come too soon.

“First of all we’re very pleased Fraser played his first game in nine months, on a good level,” said Koeman after Forster featured for Southampton’s Under-21s. “This weekend is too soon in our opinion and he will play again with the Under-21s on Monday.

“Then after that we will have discussions about what we have to do about our goalkeepers and finally the best will start. But that will start after Monday.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next