AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:10 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Saints Go Marchin' On
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:25 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

its beyond a joke now

Luke Shaw
Adam Llana
Dejan Lovren
Morgan Schneiderlin (on the verge)
Chambers
Jay Rodriguez (linked to 'Pool , now that Remy has failed his medical)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The owner is clearly looking to cash in on her assett she inherited the club from her father when he died and has no real interest in keeping it.

I imagine that the club loses money every year and at least the club can say they've got top money for the players they've not really let any of them go on the cheap apart from Lambert. Once players decide that they want to go there's little you can do to really stop it as I imagine other players like Osvaldo & Ramirez will also be out the door back to Italy (assuming they haven't already gone).

I'm sure players will come in to replace these guys but it's a huge overhaul and it might mean that a lot of young players get a chance in the first team next season.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:46 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

haha...ronald koeman tweeted a pic of an empty training ground captioned under "S'ton pre season training "

:D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:49 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

JSP wrote:
The owner is clearly looking to cash in on her assett she inherited the club from her father when he died and has no real interest in keeping it.

I imagine that the club loses money every year and at least the club can say they've got top money for the players they've not really let any of them go on the cheap apart from Lambert. Once players decide that they want to go there's little you can do to really stop it as I imagine other players like Osvaldo & Ramirez will also be out the door back to Italy (assuming they haven't already gone).

I'm sure players will come in to replace these guys but it's a huge overhaul and it might mean that a lot of young players get a chance in the first team next season.

true...but they were good last season , and i feel it is going to be damn difficult for them to sustain it this term...

i am sure Koeman will wheel and deal to get in a few players from the Feyenoords and psv Eindhovens of the world , but I can see them struggling , unless the new signings hit it off and work like a charm

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Nee-mania Vidic wrote:
true...but they were good last season , and i feel it is going to be damn difficult for them to sustain it this term...

i am sure Koeman will wheel and deal to get in a few players from the Feyenoords and psv Eindhovens of the world , but I can see them struggling , unless the new signings hit it off and work like a charm

I think the club changed direction half way through last season last summer they spent a lot of money to push forward with the ambition of establishing themselves as a Europa League side before eventually selling the club. Something happened to change that and the owner has clearly decided to turn off the taps financially and as a result Cortese left and all those who came in under his watch have gone. What is effectively going to happen is Southampton will regress to their natural position which will be towards the bottom end of the table.

I don't think they would've hoped it would be this bad in terms of the players going out the door but from a business sense the money they have been getting in has been well above true market value for the players who all clearly want to go.

I don't think anyone would be surprised if they went down this season but there's a lot of "meh" teams in this league so they could easily stay up if they can get themselves off to a half decent start.

I'm sure fans will be dissapointed with what has happened but no club should expect an owner to run the club with an bottomless pit of money they over spent to get back up the leagues now they're feeling the reverse of that I think the debts have finally been called in.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The remarkable summer exodus of talent from Southampton is set to continue with Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez close to a reunion with their former manager, Mauricio Pochettino, at Tottenham Hotspur in the wake of the sale of Calum Chambers to Arsenal.

The south coast club, then overseen by Pochettino, finished in eighth place last season yet Chambers, who has signed a long-term contract at the Emirates stadium, is the fifth key member of that team to be sold this summer for combined fees in excess of £90m.

The Southampton hierarchy, apparently with the blessing of the new manager, Ronald Koeman, has determined that any player who expresses a desire to leave will be allowed to exit St Mary’s for the right price though, at present, the first-team squad is increasingly appearing asset-stripped.

They had hoped to dissuade suitors from bidding for Schneiderlin, a player Koeman had considered vital to his approach, by demanding in excess of the £27m fee that took Luke Shaw to Manchester United earlier this summer. But the France midfielder has expressed a desire to rejoin Pochettino and, with talks ongoing over a compromise fee, he will be accompanied by Rodriguez despite the England striker still recovering from an anterior cruciate knee ligament injury that denied him a place at the World Cup.

The 24-year-old is back in light training and, with the player due to be fit again in October, it is understood personal terms have already been agreed in principle for a move to White Hart Lane.

Aside from Shaw and Chambers, Southampton have sold Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren to Liverpool for a combined £49.5m this summer, with Dani Osvaldo expected to depart before the start of the season and José Fonte having attracted a £3m bid from Cardiff City.

The club’s executive director, Les Reed, admitted disappointment at Chambers’ departure for a fee that could eventually rise to £16m,but called for calm amid growing concern among supporters.

“We have an abundance of talent in the Academy coming through, and everybody at the club is continuing to work hard on bringing in quality new players as we build a team capable of taking us further forward in the coming seasons,” he said. “It is important in the transfer window to remain calm, resilient and above all patient. We have targets, and we are working hard to get them across the line.

“Calum made it clear to us that he did not see his future at Southampton. He went on to point to the opportunities that lie ahead for the likes of James Ward-Prowse, Sam Gallagher, Jack Stephens, Jordan Turnbull, Matt Targett and Sam McQueen next term, with Koean having only recruited Dusan Tadic and Graziano Pelle from Dutch football to date.

Chambers has been assured of significant opportunities in the Arsenal first team in the new season despite initially arriving as cover for another signing, the £10m Mathieu Debuchy, at right-back and also at centre-half.

Arsène Wenger is convinced the 19-year-old will eventually graduate more permanently into a central midfield berth at the Emirates. With Arsenal also set to compete in the Champions League, Chambers has been told he will play at least 20 senior matches this season.

The defender, who will wear No21, boasts only 23 first-team appearances, all but one accrued last season at St Mary’s when he started 18 Premier League games. Those fleeting glimpses of his talent persuaded Wenger that Chambers should be lured to London. “It was an opportunity that I couldn’t turn down,” said Chambers. “To get the opportunity to work with (Wenger) will be amazing. He said that he sees me at right-back, centre-back, holding centre midfield.

“He sees me in a variety of different positions, which I like because then I can find out where I am best at and push myself as far as I can go in that position. I’m just excited to get started really.”

Chambers’ arrival will allow Carl Jenkinson to depart Arsenal in search of more first-team opportunities, with West Ham United and Hull City competing to sign a player capped once by England. Hull have bid £3m with the Londoners seeking nearer £5m for his signature, and the player himself thought to be keen to remain in the capital.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Morgan Schneiderlin has reacted angrily on social media after being told he will not be allowed to leave Southampton.

Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger insisted to Sky Sports News on Tuesday that neither Schneiderlin or Jay Rodriguez will be sold this summer after both players were linked with a move to Tottenham.

The Frenchman, who has told executive director Les Reed and CEO Gareth Rogers he wants a move, then took to Twitter to give his opinion.

Schneiderlin tweeted: "6 years of an amazing journey #saintsfc DESTROYED in 1 hour !!!"

Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Luke Shaw, Dejan Lovren and Calum Chambers have already left Southampton during this transfer window following the departure of former boss Mauricio Pochettino to Tottenham.

Southampton chairman Ralph Krueger has told Sky Sports News that Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin are not for sale.

However Krueger has dismissed speculation surrounding the futures of Schneiderlin and Rodriguez – who is understood not to have signed a five-year contract tabled to him - insisting they remain central to the club's plans for the future.

"They are part of the core that we have decided to keep in Southampton," Krueger said. "Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin are not for sale.

"They will be a part of our club as we enter the new season, and in and around Jay Rodriguez and Morgan Schneiderlin and the rest of our core players, we’re excited to continue to build forward but all of those stories (linking the pair with a move away) are false."

Quote:
@SchneiderlinMo4

6 years of an amazing journey #saintsfc DESTROYED in 1 hour !!!

When asked if he could categorically guarantee Southampton fans the pair would remain with the club, Krueger replied: "That's correct.

"It is come September that will be judgement day and I think that people need to realise we are in a process right now. The match is far from over and on September 1 let's have a conversation."

Krueger insisted he sympathised with the club’s supporters over the raft of departures this summer but has assured them the club have sufficient money to rebuild the squad ahead of the new season.

"Now we have finances and once again we are excited to continue in the rebuilding process in the next few weeks," he added.

"We will have players coming in. We will make transfers to strengthen the squad. I can understand some frustration maybe in and around our fans but we needed to stay silent (on the departures) to bring in the best deals for the club.

"Ronald Koeman has done an outstanding job with his staff thus far in pre-season. We're extremely pleased with the work that’s going on at St Mary's. We know we are going in the right way but we also know we need more players and we need more depth in our line-up."

Sky sources understand Southampton hope to sign three players by the end of the week - a keeper, defender and forward, but Krueger is unwilling to put a time-frame on the completion of any deals.

"It's not about getting them in today or tomorrow, it's about getting in the right players on the right deals that fit the way Ronald wants to play and that we want to play," he said.

"Of course we would all like to see these players in sooner rather than later but we will make the deals at the time that we feel are right for the club.

"We are very close to a few deals and by the time we are close to kicking off against Liverpool of course for Ronald and his staff it's better that we get them in tomorrow so that he can begin the process of integrating them into the team and integrating them into the system of play.

"But we are working as quickly as possible to make that a fact. I don’t like to talk in definites when we don’t know them."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin has handed in a transfer request, according to Sky sources.

The 24-year-old France international posted a tweet on Tuesday that suggested he was unhappy to be told his future lay at St Mary's, and he has followed that up with an official transfer request despite reports he has no release clause and three years left to run on his contract.

Saints lost manager Mauricio Pochettino to Tottenham at the start of the summer and several big-money sales have followed - Luke Shaw joining Manchester United for £27million, Adam Lallana and Rickie Lambert joining Liverpool for £25m and £4m respectively, and Calum Chambers joining Arsenal for £16m.

Pochettino is reportedly keen for Schneiderlin and Southampton striker Jay Rodriguez to join him at White Hart Lane but executive director Les Reed and chairman Ralph Krueger are adamant that there will be no further departures from the club, prompting Schneiderlin to demand a move.

Spurs are thought to be ready to pay £20m for Schneiderlin, who said via his Twitter account in the wake of talks over his future: "6 years of an amazing journey #saintsfc DESTROYED in 1 hour !!!(sic)."

Schneiderlin came through the youth ranks at Strasbourg before Southampton paid £1.2m for his services in 2008.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand has become Southampton's third summer signing as they rebuild after selling five players for £92m.

The 24 year-old has joined on a season-long loan but, according to the Press Association, there is an option to make the deal permanent for up to £10m.

Saints have already signed striker Graziano Pelle from Feyenoord and midfielder Dusan Tadic from FC Twente.

"I'm very happy to be able to bring Ryan in," manager Ronald Koeman said.

"I spoke to him on Monday afternoon and I was very impressed with his attitude and how keen he was to play games for Southampton."

Bertrand has been at Chelsea since 2006 but has only made 28 league appearances for them and spent the second half of last season on loan at Aston Villa.

He was famously selected in the starting XI when the Blues won the Champions League final against Bayern Munich in 2012.

"I had a lot of options and a lot of interest but, having met the people and spoken to the manager and seen what the club is about, in my mind this was the perfect decision," said Bertrand, who has won two caps for England.

Saints have been under scrutiny in recent days in the wake of the exodus of players from St Mary's this summer.

Teenage full-back Calum Chambers became the fifth player to leave following his £16m move to Arsenal on Monday.

Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana and Dejan Lovren have all joined Liverpool while left-back Luke Shaw signed for Manchester United.

Midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin and striker Jay Rodriguez were also strongly linked with Tottenham but Saints chairman Ralph Krueger insisted on Tuesday the pair would not be sold.

Chief executive officer Gareth Rogers said: "Ryan is a young, attacking full-back and will fit in perfectly with the club's philosophy and style of play.

"This is another important step forward in terms of rebuilding our first-team squad with exciting English talent at its core."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ronald Koeman did not see the irony until later.

The new Southampton manager tweeted a photograph of a training field at the club's Marchwood complex this week - cones out, balls ready. "Ready for training," it read. But the pitch was deserted.

Southampton fans have learnt to smile at such things this summer - it is better to laugh than cry. In the space of eight incredible weeks, the club has lost a highly rated young manager, along with five of its best players. More are likely to follow.

For the past five years, Southampton fans have known only success and stability. But that has given way to players publicly questioning the newly installed hierarchy, demanding moves, undermining those who run the club. The question now is why?

Rumours of instability and unhappiness had been rumbling for some time. In April, Les Reed, Southampton's new executive director, attempted to clarify the situation.

"No club has been given permission to talk to any of our players and that will remain so," he said.

"We want to retain the players we've got. Any enquiries will probably be met with a 'no, not for sale.' Our intention is to keep this very good team together," he added.

"Probably" was the key word. As a statement it was paper thin. A few weeks later boss Mauricio Pochettino joined Spurs. A week after that, striker Rickie Lambert was gone.

It had all began to unravel on the final day of the season. A few hours after the draw with Manchester United, the players, staff and families gathered for an end-of-season dinner. It was there that Luke Shaw told the club's hierarchy that he wanted to join Manchester United. A £27m bid had, by that stage, been made.

Adam Lallana also told the club he wanted to move on. He had been made aware of Liverpool's interest by then. The club, perhaps understandably, responded with a wall of silence. Phone calls were not returned, attempts to arrange talks, ignored.

Southampton were in denial and both players left for the World Cup frustrated and disillusioned. Both said they had no intention of going back to the south coast.

There was no attempt to persuade Lallana or Shaw to stay. Not once did a club official hold talks with the players to ask them to reconsider, to delay their moves.

Lallana had been the glue which had held the team together. In the dressing room, he was the most popular, a leader who demanded respect and admiration. He joined the club as a 12-year-old and was a key figure as Southampton fought their way back from League One. When word spread that Lallana wanted out, that he was angered by his treatment, others began to question their own futures.

The bond between the Southampton players had been key to the club's rise from the depths of League One to the cusp of European football. Nicola Cortese, the former executive chairman, had encouraged it. For example, Lallana and Lambert had persuaded Shaw to stay for another season amid strong interest from Chelsea. As did Cortese.

Cortese's sheer ambition was, of course, a factor as was the respect the squad had for Pochettino. The promise from Cortese was that he would do his all to progress the club, give the players the best tools to succeed. In turn, he expected the same back from the players.

It was a pact that brought huge success, but a pact that had now been broken.

Shaw and Lallana went in the space of 24 hours after they returned from the World Cup. Lovren threatened to go on to strike to force a move to Liverpool. In the end it was not necessary and he too moved on. Calum Chambers was next, a £16m move to Arsenal.

France midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin has told the club he wants to be allowed to move on. An outline agreement is in place with Spurs, but Arsenal are also interested. Jay Rodriguez is also hopeful of joining Tottenham, despite chairman Ralph Krueger saying neither will be sold before the new season. That could yet be another hollow statement.

"We see them as a part of our core group players," he said. "I met Spurs officials in Toronto but not a word was exchanged about (Rodriguez or Schneiderlin). They hosted me for a MLS match as we look to grow the brand. I did not have one single word of a conversation with them about players of Southampton."

Portuguese defender Jose Fonte is known to be unsettled, having been offered a new contract by letter. Full-back Nathaniel Clyne is considering his options, with interest building. Midfielder Jack Cork is another player whose future is uncertain, while Dutch defender Jos Hooiveld has had an offer to move to Germany.

Perhaps most worrying of all, is the fear the discontent might spread to the club's highly regarded academy. The parents of one 15-year-old player have already decided they no longer want their son to stay on at the club amid the uncertainty. The question now, is where will it all end? When will it all stop?

Southampton did not have to sell the players. The club appears in good financial shape, in the context of modern top flight football, posting a net loss of £7.1m in March. They entered the summer window owing £27m in outstanding transfer fees, although the total is being paid in instalments. In March Hans Hofstetter, a Southampton director, said: "The most important point is that we are in a position where we do not need to sell any player Mauricio [Pochettino] wants to keep." It could not have been clearer.

And yet when big offers come in from big clubs, Southampton said yes. In isolation each deal makes sense. Shaw was sold for £27m, a record for a teenager. Lallana at the age of 26 went for £25m. Lovren was sold for £20m, £12m more than Saints paid last year. Chambers, who made just 25 first-team appearances, raised £16m.

Each sale is logical. But when viewed together, it has the feel of an exodus and Southampton have the feel of a lost club, desperately scrambling to find its way again. The selling may continue but Southampton are now struggling to spend the £92m, and counting, they have in the bank. They are being quoted inflated transfer fees for all of their potential targets.

Krueger has not been in Southampton for the past eight weeks, having spent the summer abroad. Reed is in charge of all football affairs after being promoted from the academy role he held under the previous regime.

The owner, Katharina Liebherr, has been silent this summer. She has ended her association with a leading London PR company in recent months, perhaps a sign of trust in those who are now running the club. There is no question that, in the past, she has seriously considered selling the club. Few really know her intentions now.

And what of Koeman? The man who has walked into this maelstrom. Those around him say that while it would be wrong to describe him as relaxed, he does know what he has to do.

When he took the club job he knew Lallana, Shaw and Lambert had either gone or were going. He was also aware of Lovren's feelings and is known to view the sale of Chambers for £16m as a 'present' - given the player may not have featured in his starting XI, anyway.

He is a manager who has rebuilt teams before, most notably at Feyenoord, with a core of young players. There he put faith in emerging talents such as Jordy Clasie and Bruno Martins Indi, both of who were in the Netherlands World Cup squad.

In pre-season he has used a host of Saints' academy players. But by signing three players, Graziano Pelle, Dusan Tadic and Ryan Bertrand, for a combined potential outlay of £30m, the hope is he will not have to rely on them. The fans are not yet convinced they have replaced the lost talent.

This is, arguably, a bigger challenge than anything Koeman has faced elsewhere. No other non-relegated club has sold off as many key players in one fell swoop before with a new manager, a new chairman and a new chief executive in charge. Where once there was stability, now there is doubt and uncertainty. Having finished eighth last season, the sights have been lowered.

"The fans have been willing to give the club the benefit of the doubt," said Nick Illingsworth, editor of 'The Ugly Inside' Saints fanzine. "A lot of basic mistakes have been made and I think the current hierarchy have underestimated the fact that they needed a strong leader.

"The fans are upset, of course they are. This is unprecedented. When you lose five players as we have there is bound to be uproar. What happens next is vital."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Dani Osvaldo is due for a medical at Internazionale as the exodus of players from Southampton continues, according to reports in Italy.

Gazzetta dello Sport say the 28-year-old will join Inter on an initial six-month loan deal with and a £5.6m option to buy next summer. The two clubs have agreed the terms of the transfer and Osvaldo will fly to Italy from Argentina in the next couple of days to take his medical.

Southampton broke their transfer record to sign Osvaldo from Roma for a fee rising to £14.6m last summer. But the Italy striker was shipped out on loan to Juventus for the second half of the season following a training ground bust-up with his Saints team-mate José Fonte. His record on the south coast currently stands at three goals in 13 games.

Osvaldo follows Luke Shaw, Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Dejan Lovren and Calum Chambers out of the St Mary’s exit door. Tottenham Hotspur retain a serious interest in Morgan Schneiderlin and Jay Rodriguez, while Cardiff have tabled a bid worth around £3m for Fonte.

The new Saints manager, Ronald Koeman, has added only Dusan Tadic and Graziano Pellè from Dutch football to his squad on a permanent basis, as well as Ryan Bertrand on a season-long loan, although he is in the market for new additions.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton’s response to the player exodus at St Mary’s has continued with the signing of Saphir Taider on a season-long loan deal.

However, as part of the agreement Dani Osvaldo has moved in the opposite direction on the same terms, leaving Saints with no net gain as they seek to bolster a squad short on numbers.

Taider, a 22-year-old midfielder, played in two of Algeria’s matches at the recent World Cup and joined Internazionale a year ago following a two-season stint at Bologna.

“It’s part of our philosophy to bring in talented young players who like to learn and develop themselves, and that’s true of Saphir,” the Southampton manager Ronald Koeman said.

“He can play as a controlling midfielder, but he can also move up around the box and up front.That’s a good thing for a coach or manager because it brings more possibilities to the players in the team. He brings competition to the squad.

“He can still learn some things, so we will train him and develop him this season. Over the course of the year, we will then make a decision about the future of the player.”

Dusan Tadic, Graziano Pelle and Ryan Bertrand had already joined the club, with Saints hoping the arrival of Taider will appease fans who are regretting the sales of Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw, Adam Lallana, Calum Chambers and Dejan Lovren.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton are to raid Celtic for the second time in little over a year, with a fee in the region of £10m agreed for the goalkeeper Fraser Forster.

The 26-year-old is expected to sign a four year contract on the south coast, thereby following in the footsteps of his former Celtic team-mate Victor Wanyama. The Kenyan midfielder joined Southampton for £12.5m last July. Forster travelled to Southampton on Friday evening.

Forster’s performances in Europe for Celtic have catapulted him into the England international set-up. He was therefore keen to strengthen that position by moving to the Premier League. Southampton’s goalkeeping coach, Dave Watson, has been a long-time admirer of Forster.

Newcastle United will receive a sell-on payment for the player they sold to Celtic for £2m in 2012 after an initial loan spell.

Celtic’s Champions League qualifying reprieve has had no bearing on the transfer.

They have a ready-made replacement in the form of Craig Gordon. The ex-Sunderland goalkeeper signed on at Parkhead this summer, having proved his fitness following a two-year spell on the sidelines with a knee problem.

Forster’s imminent arrival increases the likelihood of Southampton selling the 34-year-old Artur Boruc, another former Celtic player.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 5:10 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

shane long to s'oton for 12m... :ohmy: :|

steve bruce " ching...ching"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:04 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton have agreed a £12million fee for Hull City striker Shane Long, according to Sky sources.

The Republic of Ireland interantional only moved to the KC Stadium in January for £7.5m from West Brom and scored four goals in 15 games for Steve Bruce’s side.

Saints’ new manager Ronald Koeman wants the 27-year-old to form a strike partnership with Italian Graziano Pelle, who followed the Dutchman from Feyenoord.

Koeman made the former Reading forward his number one target after Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez apparently rejected a move to the south coast club.

The Mexico international has been told he can leave United, but is keen to move to a club playing in Europe.

Long‘s possible arrival at St Mary’s follows the departures of Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw, Dejan Lovren, Dani Osvaldo and Callum Chambers.

Considering he's their best striker I'd say Long is worth more than £12m to Hull even though they'd be doubling their money without him where are their goals coming from?

If Lukaku is valued at £28m then surely they can push for a lot more for long especially when everyone knows Saints have loads of cash.

He'd be a good signing for them though he's by no means an amazing striker but he's an effective PL striker who'll get you 10-15 goals a season imo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:50 am 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
Quote:
Southampton have agreed a £12million fee for Hull City striker Shane Long, according to Sky sources.

The Republic of Ireland interantional only moved to the KC Stadium in January for £7.5m from West Brom and scored four goals in 15 games for Steve Bruce’s side.

Saints’ new manager Ronald Koeman wants the 27-year-old to form a strike partnership with Italian Graziano Pelle, who followed the Dutchman from Feyenoord.

Koeman made the former Reading forward his number one target after Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez apparently rejected a move to the south coast club.

The Mexico international has been told he can leave United, but is keen to move to a club playing in Europe.

Long‘s possible arrival at St Mary’s follows the departures of Adam Lallana, Rickie Lambert, Luke Shaw, Dejan Lovren, Dani Osvaldo and Callum Chambers.

Considering he's their best striker I'd say Long is worth more than £12m to Hull even though they'd be doubling their money without him where are their goals coming from?

If Lukaku is valued at £28m then surely they can push for a lot more for long especially when everyone knows Saints have loads of cash.

He'd be a good signing for them though he's by no means an amazing striker but he's an effective PL striker who'll get you 10-15 goals a season imo.

He doesn't score that many. He's a hard worker but much like Doyle he is hardly clinical. I think £12M for him is a good shout. They'll be able to look at a few options with that cash. Jordan Rhodes at Blackburn has scored goals all up the League, but would he cut Premier League, who'd have thought that Rickie Lambert would do well in the Premier League.

Also overseas where Bruce appears to have good scouting networks. Especially South America, again what's to say they'll do well, but what's to say they won't. I think with that cash they could even look at securing a young striker from a top team (Joel Campbell anyone?) on loan or permanent.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:41 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

the nut's named eric wrote:
He doesn't score that many. He's a hard worker but much like Doyle he is hardly clinical. I think £12M for him is a good shout. They'll be able to look at a few options with that cash. Jordan Rhodes at Blackburn has scored goals all up the League, but would he cut Premier League, who'd have thought that Rickie Lambert would do well in the Premier League.

Also overseas where Bruce appears to have good scouting networks. Especially South America, again what's to say they'll do well, but what's to say they won't. I think with that cash they could even look at securing a young striker from a top team (Joel Campbell anyone?) on loan or permanent.

I didn't mean 10-15 league goals I meant 10-15 in all comps which for him I think is what you expect as a return. I think buying from the Championship is a big risk as it's a huge step up Lambert's figures were imo a little inflated by the fact he took set pieces (pens/free kicks) as he's always been a bit of a specialist at these and anyone who saw him at Bristol Rovers in League Two knew he was playing well below his level. Personally I'd like to see more lads from the Championship get the chance to move up but the problem is the prices are always to high clubs price them out of moves by trying to charge double what you'd pay for a similar quality player from other leagues in Europe.

Unless he's failed to settle or the club need the money I just think it's odd that they'd be willing to sell him as while £12m is reasonable money (McCormack Leeds to Fulham £11m though) they'll probably need to spend that and more to replace him as personally I think they'll struggle in their second season.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:57 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton signing Sadio Mane will join his new team-mates on Friday after being granted a work permit, Saints boss Ronald Koeman has confirmed.

Senegal forward Mane, 22, was a £10m transfer deadline day signing from Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg.

He will not feature against Swansea in the Premier League on Saturday.

Koeman said: "He will be assessed [on Friday] and I expect him to be involved against Arsenal in the League Cup next Tuesday."

He added: "Yesterday I got the message everything is done. He is flying back today and he will arrive tomorrow.

"It's too close for Saturday."

Koeman also confirmed striker Jay Rodriguez is recovering more quickly than expected from his long-term knee injury.

"He's doing well; everything is going very well," he said.

"I am looking forward, because it will be like having a new signing in December or January."

Koeman added that striker Shane Long has overcome a head injury sustained in their 4-0 win against Newcastle.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:23 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton goalkeeper Fraser Forster will miss the rest of the season after undergoing surgery on a knee injury.

Forster, 27, was hurt when clearing the ball in Saints' 2-0 win over Burnley on Saturday, forcing him out of England's squad to face Lithuania and Italy.

Southampton said a "longer-term" prediction on his return will be made following further assessment.

Forster joined Saints from Celtic in the summer and has played in all 30 of their Premier League games this season.

He has conceded 21 goals as part of the tightest defence in the division.

The former Newcastle player, capped three times by England, was carried off on Saturday before having surgery on his left patellar tendon.

Forster was replaced by Kelvin Davis, who was making his first appearance of the season.

The 38-year-old is now expected to start against Everton on 4 April, with either Paulo Gazzaniga, 23, or Cody Cropper, 22, on the bench.

Been a hell of a debut season for Forster I wasn't 100% convinced by him but he's played well and at times this season has pushed Hart for the number 1 shirt with England. Still think his feet are what hold him back from being a keeper at one of the biggest sides but Southampton will definitely miss him

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:39 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Morgan Schneiderlin has reiterated his desire to leave Southampton this summer if the club doesn't qualify for the Champions League.

The France international had looked set for a move away from St Mary's last summer when he was strongly linked with Tottenham, only for the club to refuse to let him leave.

Arsenal were also reportedly eyeing a £25million move for the midfielder last January, according to the French media.

Saints have exceeded expectation this season in the Premier League under new boss Ronald Koeman and are still in the hunt for a top-four finish, although they are six points behind fourth-placed Manchester United.

However, despite Southampton’s excellent progression this season Schneiderlin, who is currently away on international duty with the French squad, wants to play in Europe’s premier competition.

“In August, I wanted to take a move but the club had lost too many players to agree to sell me,” he is quoted as saying in French newspaper L'Equipe.

"Since then I have had discussions with the leaders and I want to play at the highest level: it is important at 25 years old to finally know the Champions League.

"Given that, late in the season, Southampton may qualify for the Champions League and I can stay, who knows. I have no desire to be in front of my TV on Tuesday and Wednesday."

You would assume Arsenal will be the front runner for him in the summer and I wouldn't be surprised if the two clubs weren't already working on a deal for him.

I have to admit I like what I see with him so if Utd got in to the CL I wouldn't be against going for him as a long term successor to Carrick as our holding midfield player but his price will have gone up from the £25m region being discussed last season.

Alternatively you could look to see who Southampton are looking at to replace him this summer and just sign them as that clubs scouting seems to be spot on.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next