AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manchester City Thread
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:01 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Worth remembering they won their first 6 league games last season including smashing the reigning champs at home then it all fell apart.

I don't expect this to happen at Pep but they still feel like a side who has that sort of blip in their locker if they keep Aguero & Silva fit all season which has been a problem then I think they'll win the league. In Europe I still think against the better sides they'll have to give up possession of the ball to the better players and they'll just fall short.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:48 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

firm favorites in my opinion.

way too much class in that side and a manager who is relentless in his pursuit for excellence.

Gundogan and Jesus are yet to kick a ball :ohmy:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:32 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Nee-mania Vidic wrote:
Jesus yet to kick a ball :ohmy:

Probably better for City if its stays that way.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Not trying to nit pick BUT

Gundogan started the game last night
Jesus isn't a City player until January

:p

People seriously under rating that Iheanacho kid as well obviously not being English and playing for City he doesn't get the hype but that kid is on a level with Rashford his goal scoring record is very very impressive.

Nollito, Sane, Sterling, De Bruyne, Silva is a lot of fire power that isn't playing up front add Aguero/Iheanacho and that's a lot of goals in that squad.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:28 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

my bad. did not realize he played

I knew about Jesus joining in Jan. what an addition to that stellar list of attackers !

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he will not pick Yaya Toure until he apologises to the club and his team-mates for comments made by his agent.

Toure, 33, has made one appearance for City this season and was left out of their Champions League squad.

Toure's agent, Dimitri Seluk, said the midfielder had been "humiliated" and Guardiola should apologise to him if City do not win the competition.

Guardiola said: "He must apologise. If he doesn't, he won't play."

So far this is the main difference between Pep & Jose.

Pep has canned 2 Man City legends in Hart & Yaya basically doing everything he can to force them out of the club.

Jose hasn't really done that he's played along with Rooney up to a point and picked on Schweinstieger who I don't think was that big a thing for the dressing room.

Will be interesting to see what he does with Kompany Stones & Otamendi have started to build a nice little partnership together now that Kompany is fit will he come back in?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:09 pm 
Major General
Major General

Pep has bossed the way the manager should ..Hart was fan favorite and Yaya has basically been cornerstone of every league title ...

I think Jose will eventually drop Rooney out ..Maybe he is doing it on purpose or to a point where fans and most importantly press cant get on to his back .. As for Schweini i still believe he wasnt treated the right way maybe Jose thought he will move on or either Bayern will welcome him back and free up wage slot for further signings ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola says he will not pick Yaya Toure until his agent apologises for criticising the decision to leave the player out.

Toure, 33, has made one appearance for City this season and he was left out of the Champions League squad.

His agent, Dimitri Seluk, claimed the midfielder had been "humiliated", and Guardiola said: "Seluk must apologise. If he doesn't, he [Toure] won't play."

But Seluk told BBC Sport: "What do I need to apologise for?"

He added: "He should speak to Yaya. Yaya is doing his
"We will see what happens. His contract expires at the end of the season and in January he will be free to go."

Guardiola, who was Barcelona boss when Toure was sold to City in 2010, said of the player: "It was so difficult for me to put him out of the Champions League, so difficult. I know him, I know he's a good good guy.

"But the day after his manager [Seluk] spoke. In that moment Yaya is out.

"I cannot accept as a coach, when his player doesn't play, going to the media to speak and speak and speak."

He said Seluk did not have the "courage" to call him but said Seluk could always apologise via the media. "When that happens Yaya will be part of the group and he will have the same chance to play all the games."

It is understood the first Toure knew of his manager's stance against playing him was when he announced it at Tuesday's news conference.

Guardiola was speaking soon after Toure announced his international retirement.

Having made his debut for the Ivory Coast in 2004, Toure won 113 international caps, winning the Africa Cup of Nations in 2015.

"Writing this note was probably 'the most difficult match of my life'," he said in a statement.

"After 14 years at the highest level, I'm sure this is the right time for me."

Meanwhile, City captain Vincent Kompany could make his first appearance of the season in Wednesday's League Cup third-round tie at Swansea.

"He has trained a lot and he will be ready and be part of the group and compete with other central defenders to win his position," said Guardiola.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:40 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Not saying City don't look good, because they do.

But other than united, all their other 4 games have been against the bottom 4 teams.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Very true but they absolutely demolished a decent Monchengladbach side in Europe as well and while utd were bad in that first half I think a lot of that was down to how good City were they destroyed us and had they been a bit more clinical the margin would've been much more flattering.

I think it's to early to declare them title winners tougher challenges will come but so far they are looking much better than last season the speed of their attacks is scary and the thing is you'd expect them to keep getting better as players settle into the method. What is impressive is he seems to have total buy in from the players everyone is on board with the plan and those that aren't are gone. Defensively they still look like they'll give you a goal in most games but they're sticking 4 or 5 past most teams without breaking sweat.

People are sort of failing to point out though that they were this summers top spenders and I'm guessing they were also last summers top spenders as well and the signings made last summer were clearly players identified for Pep.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:54 pm 
Major General
Major General

Toure agent is hitting hard on Pep. When toure left barca Pep told him he is leaving for shit team.

Quote:
Toure’s agent Seluk told Radio Barcelona: “When Toure left the club to come to the City, Guardiola told him he was leaving to a s*** team.

“Now, Guardiola has come to this s*** team. Guardiola likes money more than football.”

Guardiola has been accused of taking ‘easy’ jobs since he left Barcelona. The jobs he’s taken since have been with Bayern Munich and City, the richest clubs in their respective leagues.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:12 am 
Major General
Major General

Quote:
[/quoteYaya Toure’s outspoken agent has once more publicly criticised Manchester City manager, Pep Guardiola , suggesting to prove himself as a great manager he should go to a team like Sunderland .

Guardiola has made a perfect start as City boss, winning all of his first eight games in charge. However, his decision to oust Manchester City legends, Toure and Joe Hart out of the squad has provoked much debate and it hasn’t went down well with Toure’s agent, Dimitri Seluk.

Seluk declared earlier in the week “if Pep Guardiola wants a war then he can have one,” and has shown no signs of relinquishing that stance since.

Since managing Barcelona ‘B’, Guardiola has only managed European heavyweights, Barcelona, Bayern Munich and City so far in his managerial career, and Seluk bizarrely claimed in order to truly prove he is a great manager, he should take charge of the 19th placed Black Cats or Spanish Segunda division side, Real Zaragoza.

Speaking to Sky Sports News, Seluk said: “Pep was successful at Barcelona and Bayern Munich, but take a look behind that success.

“The team he took at Barca had been built by Frank Rijkaard and then he was lucky to have Lionel Messi. It was Messi who made Barca, not Pep. Luis Enrique has shown that Barca’s success was not down to Guardiola.

“If Pep wants to prove himself as a great manager, then he should go to Zaragoza or Sunderland. Let’s see how good he is when he doesn’t take over a great team and hasn’t got half-a-billion pounds to spend.

He continued: “Could he do what Claudio Ranieri has done at Leicester or Mauricio Pochettino has done at Tottenham?

“Well we will never know because if City don’t win the league and the Champions League this season they will just give him another £100million or £200million to spend until he gets it right. That isn’t good management.”

Seluk’s comments wouldn't have gone down too well on Wearside, although I’m sure given their recent woes in the Premier League, they wouldn't mind a manager who was won 22 trophies in a nine year managerial career.

Quote:
“Guardiola treats players like dogs”

The agent looks to be digging an even deeper hole for Yaya Toure to climb out of as he has today stated that Guardiola ‘treats his players like dogs’.

He also added that the manager should ‘go to coach in Afghanistan’ and that he is only interested in money.

It is hard to understand what Seluk’s game-plan is (if any) in all of this.

As it stands, instead of making things better for Yaya Toure, it appears Seluk is only making things worse.

Andy Hampson ✔ @andyhampson
Seluk at it again, telling BBC Guardiola treats players "like dogs" and should "go to be coach in Afghanistan" #mcfc
9:08 PM - 23 Sep 2016

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 11:42 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I love this guy he's brilliant just never ever sign one of his players as he's an absolute fruit loop Yaya appears to be trying to get himself sacked through his agent and Pep is handling it brilliantly.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:13 pm 
Major General
Major General

If he gets sacked he will free to join any club in January ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Pretty sure if they sack him he can go where he wants free agents can sign outside of transfer windows (I think) the only problem might be adding him to your 25 man squad

I'd be amazed if he isn't in MLS or China before end of season guessing the only reason City didn't move him to NY City is they don't have room on wage bill for him as they've got Pirlo, Lampard & Villa

Guardiola has all the cards though not like any city fans are demanding Yaya be in the team they're probably happy to see the back of him as well

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
There is a wonderful old sketch in The Goon Show when Throat, Neddie Seagoon and Justin Eidelburger, played by Spike Milligan and his partners in anarchy, Harry Secombe and Peter Sellers, intend to steal Napoleon’s piano and arrange to meet outside the Louvre on the second stroke of midnight. Except Seagoon arrives on the third stroke. “You’re late,” Eidelburger says. And the explanation is a thing of beauty. “Sorry,” Seagoon says, “my legs were slow.”

Vincent Kompany, one imagines, knows the feeling. It’s just not so funny in his case when his legs are not what they were and he is at a stage of his professional life when, to borrow an old line from Paul Gascoigne, the injuries no longer come in threes, they come in 33s. Or more, to be precise: Kompany’s latest setback is his 34th in Manchester City’s colours, and potentially the most damaging when the club have a new regime that gives the impression there is no place for sentimentality.

It is certainly startling to tot up the numbers of games Kompany has missed, the repetitive nature of his injuries and the seemingly endless churn of rehab, comebacks, breakdowns and sapping disappointment, and not be weighed down by the suspicion that a club with City’s ambitions will eventually decide there is no way back. Kompany’s 14 different calf injuries have accounted for 333 days of absence during his time in Manchester. Among the other ailments, there have been six spells of absenteeism with hamstring issues, four with groin problems and three with both knee and thigh injuries. Since August 2014, Kompany has missed exactly half of City’s first-team assignments. It is a cruel thing to say but Roberto Mancini had the wrong man when Micah Richards was hurt in one game and the Italian, showing all the tact for which he was renowned, tapped the glass in front of him. “Swarovski,” he said – meaning the player was made of crystal.

Pep Guardiola is not so bruising in his public statements but it would be easy to understand if Kompany is filled with insecurity given the speed at which City’s new manager has moved Joe Hart off the premises, ostracised Yaya Touré and made it clear he is unmoved by what has gone before. Guardiola did not even inform Touré – a mandatory pick if you were asking this correspondent for the greatest ever City XI – he was not in the club’s Champions League squad. He has asked for an apology from the player’s agent but would it really make a jot of difference if the opinionated, arrogant, selfish, gaudy, trash-talking Dimitri Seluk – and these are just his good points – sent him flowers every day for the next month? The truth is Guardiola has zero intentions of playing Touré anyway. He bends for nobody. And if Kompany isn’t worried, he probably should be.

Guardiola could certainly be forgiven for wondering whether he can ever properly trust Kompany and it isn’t easy making a case on the Belgian’s behalf when he even comes out unfavourably in a comparison with the player who went through his professional life being called Sicknote. Darren Anderton hated that nickname and with good reason bearing in mind he made 299 top-division appearances for Tottenham Hotspur – a club record, believe it or not, in the Premier League era and more than Gareth Bale and Hugo Lloris put together.

Kompany has the worse attendance record, whereas Anderton’s reputation was warped by injuries in the buildup to Euro 96 and the 1998 World Cup. He actually played until he was 36, finishing one short of 500 career appearances. Yet when he went back to White Hart Lane as a guest last season the half-time announcer could not resist making a joke about him not being fit enough to take part in the crossbar challenge.

In Kompany’s case, it isn’t easy questioning Guardiola’s methods on the back of 10 straight wins but was it really sensible of City’s manager to expect the player with the worst injury record in the Premier League to play a full match on his first appearance for five months? Last weekend, Guardiola talked about the 30-year-old being ready for 15 to 20 minutes as a substitute. Something clearly changed and the EFL Cup tie at Swansea City was in its final moments when Kompany went down in that now-familiar slump – head lowered, arms over knees, filled with anguish, this time because of another groin injury.

This is not the first time either that City could be said to have over-exerted their player. “Normally you get a period to settle back in, perhaps play a couple of practice games and get yourself 100% right,” Kompany, having missed almost five months of last season, said after returning to the side in March. Not on this occasion, though. Instead, the manager, Manuel Pellegrini, put him through five games in 16 days, playing every single minute. The sixth, three days later, was the second leg of a Champions League tie against Dynamo Kyiv, when City were as good as through because of a 3-1 win from the first game in Ukraine. Pellegrini did not see it as a chance to rest his player and, seven minutes in, Kompany felt the tell‑tale flash of pain in his lower leg. He has managed only two full games since and it is mismanagement as well as fragility.

What has not come out previously is that, in the buildup to the Manchester derby two weeks ago, he and Aleksandar Kolarov, one of the players who has taken Kompany’s place, clashed on the training ground. It didn’t seem to disrupt City too badly and it was the sort of confrontation that often happens in football – a late tackle, angry words and then, for a few seconds, two players confronting each other like warring stags. Yet it was unusual for Kompany to be involved and it would not entirely be a surprise if that was linked, in part, to the stresses of his current situation.

Paul Lake’s autobiography certainly sheds a light on the grievous effects of being a non-footballing footballer. Lake was an extreme case from a different era, with a mangled knee that eventually finished a career of brilliant promise, aged 27. His book, I’m Not Really Here, is a compelling read and particularly when he talks about the ordeal of turning up for matches at City, and the ritual torture of watching other players running out in their sky‑blue shirts while he wondered if he would ever get that privilege again.

Lake tended to avoid the dressing room like the plague because “the fact you have zero team involvement and you’re more familiar with the physio room makes you feel like an outsider, an intruder even.” It became so hard for him to watch games he would try anything to distract himself, even if that meant memorising the telephone numbers on the advertising hoardings, or looking for famous faces in the crowd.

Sometimes he was asked to perform the half-time draw in one of the suites at Maine Road. Supporters would ask when he might be fit again and he would go into autopilot. “I’d trot out my trusty ‘back in six weeks’ reply even though I had no idea when – or if – I was ever going to play again.” One autograph-hunter approached him with the request: “I can’t see you ever playing again, mate, but can you sign this ball for me anyway?” Another memorable line was: “Wouldn’t mind your job, Lakey, being paid to do fuck all.”

At one point the police found Lake on a motorway bridge. He was not planning to jump but he did have full‑blown depression and his story has made me realise that all of us should have a little more understanding about how difficult it must be for an elite footballer whose body is repeatedly failing him.

In Kompany’s case, he is missing out just at the point of the Abu Dhabi era when the club might be embarking on their most exciting adventures. At his peak, he had legitimate claims to be thought of as the outstanding centre‑half in the Premier League. But those days already feel a long time ago and the harsh reality of football life makes it difficult to be optimistic on his behalf.

I think the club has to plan for life without him you can't rely on him not suggesting they bin him like Toure but they have to assume he isn't going to play then if he can be fit and contribute its a bonus but I see his future as backup when fit.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Gabriel Jesus has revealed the two clubs he turned down in the summer to join Manchester City and why.

Jesus moved to the Etihad Stadium for £27million in early August, but has yet to feature for his new club.

The former Palmeiras forward is currently in training, having spent much of the summer with the Brazilian national side, helping them win Olympic gold.

In an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport, the 19-year-old said that manager Pep Guardiola was the decisive factor in persuading him to move.

“It was not an easy decision to take, but I want to improve and that’s what made the difference in the end,” he said. “Working with a great manager like Guardiola is one more reason that has convinced me to join Manchester City.

“Guardiola’s role has been decisive. He gave me a call this summer and that was determining. I am delighted I’ll be working with him. I don’t know him personally, but he gave me guarantees about the project.”

Jesus then revealed the two clubs he turned down to join City.

“I said no to Inter and Juve, true. I am an AC Milan fan!” he said.

“Buffon and Totti are my role models. I watched them on TV and picked them in video games. My reference is Ronaldo. I like watching his videos, he won everything thanks to his extraordinary talent.”

Lets hope he's Robinho Mk II not Neymar Mk II :pray:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Pep Guardiola has blocked his Manchester City players from using the internet at the club’s training base in a drive to foster more face-to-face communication and a greater team spirit.

The Spaniard has arranged for certain areas of the City Football Academy to be free from 3G signal and disconnected from the in-house Wi-Fi system.

Pablo Zabaleta revealed the move from the Catalan which aims to make it harder for players to be distracted by their phones or other mobile devices.

“He forces us to have breakfast and lunch together at the club. The internet is cut off, we are held incommunicado. We don’t even use 3G,” the full-back told Argentina’s TyC Sports.

Zabaleta, who is enjoying a resurgence under Guardiola, is a devotee of the 45-year-old’s methodology. “You always want and dream to be trained by the best coaches, and today I have the opportunity to work with one of the best,” he said. “Actually, you learn a lot, especially the way you live it. Beyond knowledge, his passion for football.”

Other changes made by Guardiola include the banning of pizza after matches, with players now snacking on nuts. Guardiola has also instructed the squad to eat together at the Etihad Stadium following home games.

Players no longer have to stay at the CFA before home matches and if any are deemed overweight they run the risk of having to work away from the first-team squad, as Samir Nasri had to do during pre-season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester City have told their youth team players they must wear black boots in order to "create a culture of discipline in the academy set-up".

City are aiming to ensure their young players remain grounded and academy policy dictates that colourful footwear is not permitted.

Former Blackburn winger Jason Wilcox, who was recently promoted to head of academy coaching, is adamant that the club's young players must learn what it means to represent City, both on and off the field.

Wilcox told The Mirror: "There is nothing worse for me than to see a high-profile footballer who has no manners or respect for other people.

"Yes, you do have to be single-minded, but you can still be respectful to others.

"It doesn't matter whether a boy is speaking to one of the cleaning ladies or the CEO, we demand that they show respect.

"We want people to represent Manchester City the right way - not just in a sky-blue shirt, but when they are away from the club as well."

Not sure the colour of your boots dictates how you respect other people but I'm guessing it's just a headline to grab your attention.

I'd suggest they try to make the kids focus as hard on their off field education as their on field one to make sure that those who don't make it get a decent enough education.

I know a lot of clubs are now looking at ways to make the lives of their players harder so they step out of the club bubble and learn life lessons simple things like making their own way to away matches so that they learn how to use public transport etc to make sure they arrive on time and remember.

They feel club academies have become to much look school when they need to be more like university at school you are taught everything you need to know by a teacher to pass a test at university you often have to go and find the answers yourself there's a theory that says current academy players have become to spoon fed so when things go wrong on the pitch they look to managers for answers rather than solve problems themselves.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester City are embarking on a "critical new phase" after posting record turnover for 2015-16, said chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak.

City's revenue in the year to 31 May 2016 was £391.8m, an increase of 11.4%.

They made a £20.5m profit, with their wage-to-revenue ratio falling to 50%.

Khaldoon said: "We have the playing, coaching and off-field capabilities at our disposal to achieve great things in English and European football in the years ahead."

City's matchday revenue in the period rose by 21% to £52.5m, broadcasting revenue was up 19% to £161.4m, and commercial revenue grew 3% to £177.9m. The club remains debt free.

Since the financial year ended, City have spent £140m on new players, including paying Everton £47.5m for England defender John Stones.

Last season they finished fourth in the Premier League, their worst performance since 2010, but won the League Cup, and reached the Champions League semi-finals for the first time.

They have since appointed former Barcelona and Bayern Munich coach Pep Guardiola as manager, replacing Manuel Pellegrini.

Sheikh Mansour bought the club from former Thaksin Shinawatra in September 2008, and the club's turnover has risen for eight successive years.

Five years ago, the club posted losses of £194.9m in the rush to compete for major trophies.

The latest figures come from a period which included expansion of Etihad Stadium, which raised the capacity by 8,000 to 54,041 and a £265m investment in the club's parent company, City Football Group, by China Media Capital Holdings, which valued the group at $3bn.

"The 2016-17 season represents the beginning of a critical new phase in the evolution of Manchester City," said Khaldoon.

"Manchester City has now reached a level of sporting and commercial maturity that allows one to feed the other."

City are top of the Premier League but have taken only one point from their past two games.

Their sponsorship deals are huge compared to Chelsea/Arsenal but they're clearly being inflated due to their owners other interests.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30  Next