AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:27 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next
 Post subject: Re: Manchester City Thread
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:58 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Stones done for 47.5m

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:24 pm 
Major General
Major General

50million includung add-ons ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Pep Guardiola has suggested that Joe Hart’s career at Manchester City could be in the balance, the new head coach saying the goalkeeper’s future will be decided within the club.

Hart is the current No1 and is expected to start the Spaniard’s first competitive game, Saturday’s Premier League opener against Southampton at the Etihad Stadium. Yet there is uncertainty regarding Hart and, as reported by the Guardian in April, Guardiola views the Barcelona goalkeeper, Marc-André ter Stegen, as a potential recruit. He said: “Joe is a player I’m so happy about [with] his qualities, his behaviour, and what he means to this club. After we are going to decide inside the doors. Now, he is a player of us. Today is not about Joe. Today is the day before the start of the Premier League.”

John Stones, meanwhile, one of eight summer City signings, may start against Sunderland after a full pre-season with Everton. “It is important for us – an English player, a young player, a huge talent, not just with defending but with his intelligence to read the next step, the next pass, behind the line,” Guardiola said. “He is a good, good, good player, so we are happy to have him and he is fit. He played with Ronald Koeman [at Everton] four, five or six friendly games, of 90 minutes, so he is fit.”

Vincent Kompany remains injured and fitness doubts over Nicolás Otamendi and Eliaquim Mangala have cleared the way for Stones to be considered for the XI and Guardiola issued a rallying cry to his new team before the new season. “I know maybe 80 or 90% who will play. Maybe I need my dream tonight to make the right decision,” he said. “To create something we need time, to create something with ideas to attack we need time. But to play with soul and something inside we don’t need time. On Saturday we don’t know if everyone is going to play good or if we will get the result but I will not accept not playing with soul.

“We can do that from the first day and that is exactly what I am looking for from my team and my players. To create something, obviously we have to play games and it is so important to win for our confidence.”

The Catalan is open to strengthening his squad further. “August 31 is the last day. We are going to see which players will stay, which players are going to be loaned, which are going to be sold, which players coming,” he said. “We are going to see, these three weeks, how is the game, how is the team, how is the smell. With Txiki [Begiristain, sporting director], with the chairman, we are going to talk about that. We are going to decide.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:45 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

City's flight carrying players, staff and media had to be evacuated on the runway due to smoke filling the cabin everyone got off safe and the fire brigade are now on the scene.

City were due to fly to Bucherest for the first leg of their CL qualifier.

EDIT ~ While some fans would probably have enjoyed something tragic involving a plane to happen to City considering how some of there fans treat the munich air crash I'd like to think the majority of Utd fans are glad everyone got off safe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Can't imagine anyone not being happy everyone is safe. Lives come before any rivalry

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sadly some people celebrate other clubs tragedy we're no saints our fans constantly taunt Liverpool fans over Heysel & Hillsborough and some fans of other clubs taunt us over Munich. It's sad and pathetic but you can't ignore it and it's not a minority if you've ever been to a Utd game vs City/Liverpool.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Only game against either I've been to was the 6-1 loss at Old Trafford. Most of the day is erased from my memory.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:33 pm 
Major General
Major General

Thise celebrating are pure kun8s

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Yaya Touré has not been included in Manchester City’s travelling party for Tuesday’s Champions League play-off first leg against Steaua Bucharest, casting further doubt over his future at the club under Pep Guardiola.

The Ivorian was also not involved in Saturday’s Premier League opening day win over Sunderland.

Speaking in his pre-match press conference at the Arena Nationala, Guardiola said: “He is a player of us and he is training amazing, but I was not sure if he was going to play, and so I prefer it if he stays there training good in Manchester.

“We travelled with two young guys and for the selection I prefer it to be the young guys than Yaya Touré.

“I prefer it if he stays there training and focuses on the next game. I have a lot of respect of him, for his career and quality, but for the first days – against Sunderland – we were looking for a more intensive game. That is why he didn’t play, the only reason why.”

Jason Denayer, the Belgian centre-half, is also absent from the group that travelled to the Romanian capital amid reports of a possible move away from the club, though young players Angus Gunn, Tosin Adarabioyo and Angel Tasende have made the trip.

Leroy Sané remains injured, while Samir Nasri, Wilfried Bony and Eliaquim Mangala have been left out.

Touré’s agent said the midfielder would stay and fight for his place. “Pep is the best manager in the world and I just hope he gives Yaya the chance to prove he is still good enough for City,” Dmitri Seluk said.

“He has not been included against Sunderland or Bucharest but that’s OK. He is fit to play right now.

“Guardiola has to learn all about the players he has available. The performance against Sunderland was far from perfect,” added Seluk.

“This is a very good process for Yaya. It will allow him [to prove] in training and in matches that he is still a wonderful player. But there is no talk of a transfer. Yaya will stay and fight.”

Touré, who captained Ivory Coast to the African Nations Cup title in 2015, has won both La Liga and the Premier League twice, as well as the Champions League with Barcelona in 2009 when Guardiola was coach

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:13 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Didn't see it but sounds like a really good performance last night. 5 - 0 missed two pens.

Pep seems to be getting it right.

Hart looks gone, Everton apparantly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:20 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

yup. was just about to post the same.

I think he is a brilliant shot stopper, but the last few years has seen him drop a clanger or two.

Still, he has been a key player for City in the last 6/7 years. harsh, dont you think ?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
Didn't see it but sounds like a really good performance last night. 5 - 0 missed two pens.

Pep seems to be getting it right.

Hart looks gone, Everton apparantly

Watched the game and it wasn't a case of Man City being good they played an absolute shocking side. Would struggle to get out of league 1 playing like they did last night.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Scored 5 goals and missed 2 penalties as poor as the opposition were by the sound of it that has to be pretty impressive.

Saw some thing on twitter about Dinamo Bucharest fans doing the pre game mosiac thing in the Steau ground the posed as Steau fans put everything in for the pre game mosiac and no one noticed until they held up something saying "Dinamo are great" or something like that. Top level fan bants

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:33 pm 
Major General
Major General

Some food bit of football ... but still PL is diff animal ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Pep Guardiola has said he will allow Joe Hart to go on loan or leave Manchester City permanently should the goalkeeper ask to do so. Hart was omitted for City’s first two competitive matches and it is known that Guardiola wants to sign Barcelona’s Claudio Bravo to be his new No1. The 29-year-old England goalkeeper is considering his options and, as the manager prepares for City’s visit to Stoke on Saturday, Guardiola was asked if Hart can leave or sign a temporary deal if this was requested.

The Question: can De Bruyne and Silva prosper in their ‘free No8’ roles?
“Of course. I don’t want players who are unhappy,” the City manager said before stating he has been honest about Hart’s prospects. “I spoke with Joe the first moment we met in China [on the pre-season tour], I have a lot of respect for him as a person and as a keeper. He’s valuable.

“Until 31st [August], everything is open – If Joe is still here, he will fight for his place.”

Guardiola said that Ilkay Gündogan and Leroy Sané had their first full training sessions on Friday after injury, while Vincent Kompany has begun non-contact work as he tries to fight back from a thigh injury.

Speaking about Sane, a £37m purchase from Schalke at the start of the month, Guardiola said: “Leroy made his first part of the training session, he still has a little muscular problem but in 1-2 weeks when we’re back from the national team break, he’ll be ready.”

Bacary Sagna, meanwhile, should soon be back in action. Guardiola said: “Bacary has a little, little problem but it’s nothing big. That’s why he didn’t start in Bucharest, we don’t want to take a risk.”

Hart is not the only high-profile figure at City finding himself out in the cold. Yaya Touré has also yet to feature under Guardiola and was not even included in the match-day squad for the victories over Sunderland and Steaua Bucharest.

Given Guardiola sold Touré at Barcelona, it was felt that the Ivorian would not have a future at City. Guardiola is adamant, however, that he is part of his plans. “Yaya is trying very well, he loves football. I spoke with him about his situation, he’s a player with huge quality and I’m really glad that his agent said I’m a good coach – thank you, Dimitri [Seluk].

“I have adulation and respect for Yaya’s quality – when he increases his intensity without the ball, he will be involved.”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 9:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

No surprise specially after Euros .. he isnt that good that make him out but still Guardiola asserting his authority ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Don't think the Euros played a factor think Pep made his mind up a while back on him his passing not good enough don't think he particularly rates Cabellero

Report are Claudio Bravo from Barca will happen before window closes for 17m euro Barca just need to tie up a replacement reported to be Cillessen from Ajax

Long been of the opinion that Hart is over hyped because he's English he's a decent keeper who has the odd blinder but he lets in a lot of cheap goals especially from outside the box

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 10:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Don't have Hart in the top 2 keepers for England. Behind Butland and Forster for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Thing is he was a solid performer for England for a few years when he first emerged but last few years he's not been the same imo since Pirlo dinked him in that shoot out it broke him mentally :lol:

I think he's probably still number 1 but Forster is pushing hard and if Butland gets fit they deserve a chance will be interesting to see if Allardyce decides to make the change with the national team if Hart doesn't get out of City he can't start for England

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
At this stage, it is fairly obvious what happens next. Claudio Bravo is on his way from Barcelona. Joe Hart has played his last game in Manchester City’s colours and the speed at which everything has happened, with hardly a backwards glance from Pep Guardiola, means we will presumably hear more in the coming days about how cold and hard‑faced this sport can be sometimes.

Unfortunately for Hart that is just the nature of the business and, while it is easy to understand an element of the sympathy, perhaps it might be an idea for some of the more outraged to go back to Guardiola’s time at Barcelona and consider the results of a coach who knows precisely what he wants and refuses to bend for anyone.

Barcelona also had players who saw themselves as untouchable when Guardiola took control in 2008. One was a former Ballon d’Or winner, revered for elevating the sport to such extraordinary heights even the Real Madrid fans clapped him off the pitch after one clásico at the Bernabéu. Ronaldinho, according to Xavi, “changed our history”. He was the “face of the project”, in the words of Ferran Soriano, the vice-president. “Ronaldinho has the dribbling skills of Rivelino, the vision of Gerson, the irreverence of Garrincha, the speed of Jairzinho, the technique of Zico and the creativity of Romário,” Tostão, Brazil’s 1970 World Cup striker, said.

Pep Guardiola will allow Joe Hart to leave Manchester City
At the same time, Ronaldinho’s last few seasons at the Camp Nou could also be summed up by his puppet on Las Noticias del Guiñol, Spain’s equivalent of Spitting Image, having the catchphrase “Fiesta!” The discipline had gone and the culture of the dressing room had suffered as a consequence. Nobody, however, could have imagined what would happen next. Deco, with his ability to unpick opposition defences, certainly didn’t. Samuel Eto’o, another dominant dressing-room personality, didn’t. “These three are not in my mind for the future,” Guardiola said on his first day in charge. “In fact, we will be going onwards without them. It’s time for a restart.”

AdvertisementHide
As it turned out Eto’o was unable to find a new club and the decision was reversed. Eto’o returned to the team and finished the season as runner-up in the pichichi, the award for La Liga’s leading scorer, as well as being a decisive player in the Champions League, scoring the first goal in the final against Manchester United. What he didn’t realise was that it would be his last game. That summer, Guardiola turfed him out. “I understand perfectly that people want to know why this is happening because he’s a marvellous footballer,” Barcelona’s coach explained. “On and off the pitch, he’s been fine all year, but it’s a question of feeling.”

By all accounts the same applies to Hart. He, too, has become a question of feeling and if that feels unsatisfactory to his sympathisers then it is probably worth keeping in mind that Guardiola’s instincts helped create the most devastating and beautifully assembled club side in history at Barça, accumulating 14 out of a possible 19 trophies in four years. What he is not trying to win is a popularity contest and maybe a few misconceptions about City’s new manager have been shattered in the process. “He’s not an angel,” as Graham Hunter writes in Barça, the Making of the Greatest Team in the World. “He can be intense, quixotic and hard to please – pesado they say in Spain.”

The translation is “heavy” and Hart presumably knows the feeling given he has not encountered this kind of rejection since a little-known story about Roberto Mancini – in pesado terms, a rucksack filled with breeze blocks – taking umbrage about his goalkeeper criticising the team’s performance after a defeat against Real Madrid and, in a fit of pique, demanding the club put the England international up for sale.

Mancini was talked out of that one and a few weeks later Borussia Dortmund were the visitors to the Etihad Stadium, back in the days when the Champions League anthem seemed to have the same effect on some of City’s players as the theme from Jaws might have on a nervous swimmer. City, my report stated the following morning, were “outplayed for long periods” and could conceivably have been on the wrong end of “a hiding”. Yet there were periods of the game when someone could have chucked a handful of rice at Hart’s goal and he would have kept out every grain. City somehow emerged with a 1-1 draw and the current captain of Manchester United joined in with the eulogies. “Best keeper in the world,” Wayne Rooney wrote on Twitter.

Not quite. Hart has had so many accident-prone spells it was not an absolute shock to see the errors that undermined England in Euro 2016 and they felt particularly chastening given all his extraneous pre-match preening.

Equally, there have been periods of brilliance, too, and it might need several sessions of hypnosis before this correspondent can be convinced his current replacement, Willy Caballero, is not a greater risk to City’s team.

Another memory comes from City’s visit to Barcelona in March last year and a 1-0 defeat in the Champions League when Hart prevented another rout, epitomised by a wonderful moment at the final whistle when Luis Suárez made a beeline for the goalkeeper. Suárez embraced his opponent, looked him in the eye and told him he had never seen a performance like it. It was sheer wonder on the striker’s face.

Guardiola was there that night – you might remember him rocking with laughter in the stands after Lionel Messi’s nutmeg on James Milner – and the shame, perhaps, is that a man with his coaching reputation is not willing apparently to work with Hart on what he perceives as the goalkeeper’s weaknesses. If he thinks Hart’s distribution dramatically needs to improve, could that have not been fine-tuned on the practice ground? If Hart needs to stop going long with his kicks, release the ball more quickly and understand the importance of building from the back, are these not tweaks that would have been relatively straightforward to introduce?

Or maybe, just like with Eto’o, the manager is relying on his “feeling” and, if so, let’s not forget he hasn’t done too badly so far trusting his instincts. Guardiola was 37 when he accepted the job at Barcelona, under the spotlight of the world’s media, and promptly announced the end for Ronaldinho, Deco and Eto’o. Like all great managers he can be hard, unflinching and, yes, a bit of a bastard at times. Don’t think for one second he will be concerned that Hart has the respect of the dressing room. Don’t imagine him being troubled by the risk involved, or the criticism it has attracted. Don’t presume Guardiola goes home at night worrying that Joey Barton might want to lecture him on standards of professional etiquette.

Something similar is happening at Manchester United bearing in mind José Mourinho’s decision to cut Bastian Schweinsteiger free and the froth of indignation it has caused in Germany. Karl-Heinz Rummenigge and various others at Bayern Munich have taken turns to express their outrage – though not to the point, it seems, where they are willing to buy the player back – while some bright spark from Fifpro, the worldwide players’ union, seems to be under the impression Schweinsteiger had been the victim of a serious crime rather than being removed from first-team activities. “It’s clear bullying,” Dejan Stefanovic, a Slovenian lawyer, said. “In Slovenia we would have indicted Mourinho and asked for the highest penalty – three years in prison.” In which case just about every manager in the business might be banged up and Sir Alex Ferguson can expect the key to be thrown away.

Alternatively, Mourinho has worked out that Schweinsteiger’s legs can no longer keep up with his brain. The midfielder’s performances symbolised last season’s dreariness at Old Trafford and you might recall some killer detail after Louis van Gaal’s sacking about how little time Schweinsteiger apparently spent in Manchester. Schweinsteiger was injured in January and had a tendency to return to Germany, flying in for United’s matches then straight back out again. It went down badly in the dressing room, to say the least. “Taking the piss,” was one description.

Hart is a far more established figure in his own dressing room but, in a strange way, that might work in Guardiola’s favour in a profession where he always has to be seen very much as the boss. “It’s disgusting,” Barton said. But it is nothing of the sort. Ruthless? Yes. Polarising? Undoubtedly. But there is nothing disgusting about wanting better for your team and if anyone in football is entitled to back their judgment it is a man with Guardiola’s record of achievement.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 591 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28 ... 30  Next