AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: You're not fit to referee??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The 52-year-old, who hung up his whistle at the end of last season, reckons only eight of the current crop are good enough.

The Sun's newspaper leads their back page with Halsey's revelations with the headline 'Named N' Shamed' before listing the "six Premier League referees that are not good enough for the job."

The six referees that are singled out by Halsey and the newspaper as needing "urgent help" are Mike Jones, Jon Moss, Kevin Friend, Lee Mason, Roger East and Neil Swarbrick.

Halsey says that Jones is "poor and lacks authority," comments that East "does not look up to it" and describes Friend as "middle order."

Halsey believes referees' chief Mike Riley and his assistant Keren Barratt are part of the problem.

He told the Sun: "Don't get me wrong, there are some really top referees out there.

"I reckon currently there is a 'great eight', in no particular order: Mark Clattenburg, Howard Webb, Mike Dean, Andre Marriner, Lee Probert, Martin Atkinson, Phil Dowd and Chris Foy.

"But as for the other 10 on the elite list, well... some are just not up to it while others need more experience, better nurturing and coaching."

Halsey believes much of the blame lies with the body that oversees referees - Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (PGMOL) - as well as their general manager Riley and select group manager Barratt.

"[PGMOL] are running the whole show on an apparent power trip while creating an atmosphere of fear and paranoia," Halsey said.

"That is not helping the weaker officials improve and the system often confuses and frequently frustrates the best referees who get mixed messages about what is expected of them."

Halsey believes the wrong officials are often picked for big games and blames that on Riley and Barratt.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: You're not fit to referee??
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Mark Halsey and Graham Poll, two former Premier League referees, were embroiled in a bitter war of words on Tuesday following criticisms from Halsey that a number of current top-flight officials are not up to the required standard.

Halsey retired at the end of last season but has since questioned the ability of certain Premier League officials and Professional Game Match Officials Ltd (PGMOL), the organisation in charge of referees, for "creating an atmosphere of fear and paranoia" within officiating.

The 52-year-old claimed a number of current elite referees are not good enough and also said that statistics used by a US company were used to examine the performances of officials, potentially resulting in pay and bonus cuts.

PGMOL did not respond to Halsey's criticisms of the referees' chief, Mike Riley, and his assistant, Keren Barratt, when approached. However Poll, who represented England as a referee at the 2006 World Cup, believes Halsey is "betraying" the refereeing fraternity who are "appalled" at his recent actions.

"He is 100% betraying what paid him a living he would never have earned as the warehouse manager he was or the taxi driver he was," Poll told Talksport. "The refereeing fraternity are absolutely appalled at what he is doing. He hasn't thought it through. Mark has got to take a long, hard look at himself. He won't. I know the guy. I have known him for years. He is that type of character."

It did not take long for Halsey to launch a riposte, claiming some of Poll's comments over his career have been unworthy. "I've not let the profession down. If anybody is letting the profession down, some of his comments over the years have been atrocious," said Halsey. "I found that 'unfitting' from him what he's come out with. But that's Graham. We don't get on and I don't like the way he's done things over the years."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has defended top flight match officials from Mark Halsey's criticism.

Former whistle-blower Halsey has questioned the quality of many of those currently controlling Premier League matches in his book 'Added Time'.

Halsey claims too many officials are not up to standard and has accused the Professional Game Match Officials Limited board of making bad selections for certain fixtures.

Scudamore has condemned the comments, accusing Halsey of 'doing the dirty' on those he once worked alongside, and has offered his full support to the Premier League's men in the middle.

"I personally expect better behaviour from those that we appoint to be match officials," he said in The Times of Halsey.

"It is disappointing... the game has given somebody so many years of matches and enjoyment and he chooses to go out and basically do the dirty on his colleagues. It is poor form for someone you have trusted to be an arbiter.

"My understanding through the (elite) group is that they are not happy. Why would they be? These are perfectly competent, good people who are effectively being openly criticised. It is unnecessary.

"I don't accept the criticism. We are at the leading edge of referee development. We are at the leading edge of referee fitness. We are at the leading edge around Europe in terms of what we are doing with our referees.

"Are they perfect? No. Do they make mistakes? Yes. Are those mistakes reducing in frequency? Yes. Would we swap them for another group in Europe? No."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Wes Brown's red card for a tackle on Stoke's Charlie Adam on Saturday, is expected to be overturned by the Football Association.

Sunderland have appealed against the sending off after the defender, 34, appeared to take the ball cleanly.

Referee Kevin Friend, 42, has not been given a match for the next two rounds of Premier League games.

Crystal Palace have also appealed against Yannick Bolasie's red card for a tackle on Hull's Jake Livermore.

Meanwhile, the FA says no retrospective action will be taken against Manchester United's Wayne Rooney, Everton's Kevin Mirallas and Cardiff midfielder Gary Medel for incidents in their sides' matches.

Sunderland manager Gus Poyet demanded an apology from referees' chief Mike Riley for the decision which saw Brown dismissed with the score at 1-0.

On a weekend on which there were a number of controversial refereeing decisions, Rooney admitted he made a "bad tackle" after kicking Cardiff's Jordon Mutch in a 2-2 draw at the Cardiff City Stadium.

And Medel appeared to slap Manchester United midfielder Marouane Fellaini in the same game.

New FA rules designed to make retrospective action more usable came into action ahead of the weekend's games.

But England striker Rooney will receive no further punishment other than the yellow card handed to him by Neil Swarbrick, as retrospective action cannot be taken when match officials have seen the incident.

None of the match officials saw the incident involving Medel, so it went before the FA's new "not seen" panel, who can punish players retrospectively, but the panel felt no action was necessary.

Mirallas will also escape any ban as a result of a knee-high tackle on Liverpool's Luis Suarez in the first half of the 3-3 draw at Goodison Park.

"When I made the challenge the first thing I thought was that it was going to be a red card," admitted Mirallas, who Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers said should have been sent off.

"I was genuinely going for the ball but I know I caught him on the knee and I said sorry straight away.

"I might have been OK because it was the derby, because in those matches there is always a lot of contact, a lot of tackles going in."

1) What is the point of these new rules if you can't change the outcomes?

Rooney, Miralles & Medel should all be getting retrospective punishment for what they did and got away with. Not a lot has been made of what Medel did he took a swing at Fellaini and didn't get booked which is similar to what Rooney did he lashed out against someone who was fouling him. Now the Rooney incident would've had more of an impact on the game as it happened after 8 minutes where Medel's was in injury time but they are both potential red card offences. I can only suggest that in both cases the ref didn't have a clear view of what happened he knew something happened but not the full extent so didn't want to bring out the red card. As for Miralles someone made a good point in the derby last season Suarez should've been sent off for a stamp on his achiles which put him out for a while. That tackle could've been a little bit of pay back from him for last season but unlike Miralles Suarez is a hard little bast*rd who just pops up from these sort of things and carries on.

2) Wes Brown's tackle on reflection was borderline dangerous simply because of the force he went in with. If Adam hadn't pulled out of the tackle he could've really been hurt. That said punishing Brown for making a perfectly timed tackle seems ridiculous. On top of this I'd be sticking Poyet in the stands for the ridiculous suggestion he made after the game that the refs apologised to a British manager and they might not give him one because he's foreign. For a start this apology was apparently an explination from the head referee to the WBA manager of what the ref said he saw and acceptance that on the basis of a video review he'd made a mistake something that apparently happens all the time. That is part of the Mike Riley's role as the head of the referees.

3) I'd be calling Rodgers in to explain his comments about if Suarez made that tackle he'd of seen red. Why keep bringing up this Suarez issue he's actually been well behaved since coming back and he's been on fire. Just because you're so sh*t scared that if he leaves you'll be f*cked doesn't mean you have to b*m him at every press conference.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:17 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Mark Clattenburg is reportedly being investigated by Mike Riley, head of the Professional Game Match Officials Ltd, after Southampton complained about the referee's use of "abusive and insulting" language against their captain Adam Lallana.
According to the Daily Mail, Clattenburg is understood to have insulted Lallana after the player complained over his decision not to award Southampton a penalty during their recent 2-1 loss at Everton. The south-coast club, report the Mail, have asked the Premier League not to appoint Clattenburg for any of their matches until PGMOL's investigation has been completed.
Speaking after Southampton loss at Goodison Park on 29 December, their manager, Mauricio Pochettino, said: "I don't mean any disrespect against any referees, but anyone watching the game can see there were two clear penalties that weren't given or should have been given. That would have changed the game completely but we weren't given them and, of course, we are angry and upset about this. I am saying that should not be forgotten in the overall analysis of the game and they need to be said. We don't want to be judged by our young, handsome, good-looking players. We just want what's fair."
The allegations come a little over a year after Clattenburg, who will take charge of Arsenal's FA Cup tie against Tottenham on Saturday, was cleared by the Football Association of using "inappropriate language" against Chelsea's Mikel John Obi.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Football Association will not take any action against referee Mark Clattenburg over alleged comments made to Southampton's Adam Lallana.

The Saints objected to the language Clattenburg used in an exchange with the England midfielder during last month's 2-1 defeat at Everton.

This complaint was dismissed by the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL), but the club were unhappy with the verdict and called for Clattenburg not to officiate games involving Southampton until the 'matter is resolved.'

The FA now appear to have put an end to the dispute by ruling that the match official will not face any action.

A statement from the FA said: "The FA can confirm it received a complaint from Southampton concerning referee Mark Clattenburg and his alleged comments made to their player Adam Lallana.

"The FA has given its full consideration to this matter and it is our view that the comments, as disclosed in Southampton's letter of complaint, do not constitute misconduct under the FA's rules.

"Consequently, the FA will not be taking any further action in relation to this matter and now considers this case to be closed."

The exchange in question is believed to have occurred after Clattenburg had turned down vociferous Southampton appeals for a penalty.

The letter from Southampton claimed Clattenburg said to Lallana: "You are very different now, since you've played for England. You never used to be like this."

I thought they were going to record the audio from the refs microphones from this season after the allegations made against Clattenburg last year over racial abuse aimed at Mikel.

I'd quite like it if the commentators had access to this audio live similar to the stump mic in cricket so when the ref is explaining his decision to players they aren't second guessing they can actually relay that info to fans. You obviously couldn't broadcast this live through the TV because of the industrial language but no reason why you couldn't have commentators using it so they can give proper informed information not just the usual drivel they come out with.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Premier League referee Dermot Gallagher believes the officials were wrong in disallowing Cheick Tiote's goal against Manchester City.

Newcastle midfielder Tiote thought he had cancelled out Alvaro Negredo's opener when he cracked a stunning 30-yard strike past Joe Hart.

However, the goal ruled out after referee Mike Jones consulted with his assistant Ron Ganfield and decided that the offside Yoan Gouffran was interfering with play.

Gallagher, who refereed in the Premier League for 16 years, told Monday View that the officials had erred in disallowing the goal.

"Jones' first priority would be whether the ball touched Gouffran," said Gallagher, "and from Ganfield's position, he would not be sure. I can understand why he called him over.

"The minute Ganfield said that the ball didn't touch Gouffran, the second question would be whether he is line with Joe Hart.

"It's an afterthought from Hart - he puts his hand up after the ball has flown past him. His last resort is to appeal for offside.

"For me, that's a goal and a mistake by the officials."

Gallagher also felt Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa should have been sent off for his challenge on Samir Nasri, but believed the fourth official sufficiently dealt with the touchline spat between managers Alan Pardew and Manuel Pellegrini.

"Martin Atkinson, who is the one of the best referees in Europe, was the fourth official," said Gallager. "He acted as peacemaker and tried to calm things down.

"The fact you have someone to do that on the line aids the referee no end. I don't think referee would have any concerns about that situation."

There was further controversy on Sunday afternoon at the Britannia Stadium, where Liverpool were awarded a second-half penalty after Raheem Sterling tumbled in the area under a challenge by Marc Wilson.

Stoke boss Mark Hughes accused Sterling of conning referee Anthony Taylor, while the Liverpool midfielder also appeared to handle the ball in the build-up to the incident.

"I think is more of a case to answer for handball," said Gallagher. "I can understand why the referee has given the penalty. The defender has given him a decision to make.

"Sterling looked around after the handball; I think he expected a free-kick to be given against him. I think it's a clumsy tackle by Wilson and can understand why the referee gave that."

The Tiote one yesterday was a howler the linesman did the right thing kept his flag down and called the ref over as he knew the players were in an offside position but from side on there was no way he could tell if Gouffran was blocking Hart but neither could the ref as he was also side on so he couldn't be 100% sure Goufrann was active. For me he guessed on the basis that Hart didn't dive for it that he had been distracted by Goufrann (which may be true) but the reality is by the time Hart would've even seen the shot through the crowd it was in so I don't think the ref can be sure so he should favour the attacking team which I believe is still a directive.

As for the others one the penalty at Stoke that comes down to those you win some you lose some decisions it's not a penalty but there will be a point where Liverpool don't get a penalty (Chelsea away this season Eto'o on Suarez) & Stoke do get a cheap one so you just have to accept that until the refs can use the cameras or players stop cheating that this will happen. That one can definitely be filed under the "penalty won" category for me Streling changed direction (away from the ball) to make sure that the defender made contact with him so he could go down in the modern game it's clever play from Sterling to win a penalty.

As far as I'm concerned the game has become impossible to referee without the help of technology and even then it wouldn't be 100% as so much is down to opinion rather than black and white fact like Tennis/Cricket where the technology is used more for fact based decisions like in/out in Tennis or in Cricket did a batsmen hit the ball. All video review would do is get rid of the howler where the ref doesn't have a good enough view to make a 100% decision because players have got so good at cheating that first time round it's so hard to tell if a player is cheating or not.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The popularity of some things are just hard to explain. The Daily Mail, Coldplay's musical anaesthetic or the modern affliction for starting every opening sentence with the word "So" - the world would surely be a more joyous place without all of them.

However, a Buddhist monk once told me something quietly profound. 'How would we know anything was good if nothing was bad?' And, of course, everything is relative, nothing absolute - except for my fury at that "So" thing, obviously.

Yet modern football, through wall-to-wall TV coverage and media analysis, has encouraged us to believe that absolutism is possible when it comes to officiating a football match. The limitless pleas for technology to be used to find out the truth in any given circumstance are all part of this. Every weekend in football, and the one that has just passed was no different, we have another new refereeing outrage with some decisive decision being made in error and then being discussed, analysed and opined upon for days.

How did they miss Carroll's punch to the goalkeeper's head for the West Ham goal? Did they give the second penalty to Liverpool to even it up? The officials are slated, insulted and even despised. They're spoken of with a sneer and shake of the head as though making a mistake while you're running around a lot is the most ludicrous of weaknesses.

The game is enforced by one man in a split second, his lungs burning from the ten kilometres he's already run, a man with tens of thousands of voices of abuse in his ears, with officialdom and a hundred cameras scrutinising their every move. On top of that, all the participants are dishonest and trying to fool you. Who else has to operate in a work place under those conditions? No one.

But what are we doing generating all this hate and invective every week of every season? He's just some bloke, not Robocop. Inside, his head is exploding with a miasma of neural signals as an incident occurs.One blink at the wrong time, one speck of dirt in the eye, one second of distraction, a glance in the wrong direction and you missed it. Everyone is screaming, people are on their feet telling you what to do, insisting they saw it. But you didn't. Oh god.

Players are all around you shouting. But they're all liars, they're cheats, they don't even know what happened, or do they? He didn't do it, he did do it - who do you believe now? You missed it. Someone got in the way, you can't apologise to everyone, you have to maintain the illusion of control or all hell will break loose.

Go to the linesman or woman. They'll help. No. They didn't see it. They couldn't. Something happened. But what? Don't know. It all happened so quick. Its down to you. Was it a trip or did he dive? What's the difference between falling over a foot and tripping someone up anyway? Did he intend to handle the ball or was it unintentional? How do you assess intent anyway? How can you read what was in a man's mind? Does that mean it is penalty or not?

The faces of the ex-pros in the commentary box and TV studio, some of whom who don't even know the laws of the game are looking on, ready to hammer you, to attack you, to tell you what you should have done. They're so good at getting the right call after three slow-motion replays. They will excuse the player, especially if he's English, and they will destroy you instead.

It's all in your brain now. It's all bearing down on you. More yelling. Should you send him off? What'll happen if you do? Mayhem, that's what. It's just football. Its a damn sport. It doesn't matter. It's not war. No one dies, it's just a bit of fun. And now all this. Oh god, please make it stop. What are you supposed to do? You'll be hauled over the coals by the FA, by the tabloids, by the bloke in the corner shop. Your kid will get bullied at school because you got this wrong. Someone will spit at your wife in the supermarket because you didn't see it. But you didn't see it. You can't pretend you did or can you? They'll all think you're a bad person but you just blinked at the wrong time that's all. It's not your fault, everyone has to blink. It all happens so fast it's a wonder you see anything at all.

So did you see it? Referee? Did you see it? What are you going to do? Yes. I saw it. Yes. Just say yes. Make a call, one way or another, just do something, do anything. Every decision has consequences. Blow the damn whistle. Penalty. It's a penalty. Definitely. Look sure about it. Wave away the dissenters. You know. You bloody do. Definite pen.

Inside you're already broken. Another terrible day for football. Another example of awful refereeing. Another useless official spoiling everyone's day, spoiling the game, ruining the spectacle and then the dissection, the gutting, the filleting of your performance by TV, by radio, by smart, post-modern websites and, just when you think it can't get any worse, by Robbie Savage.

But all you had was a just a split second; a fragment in time; a shard of your existence, so how can it have all come to this? To all this horrible nastiness. It's just football, it really doesn't matter and now so many people are so angry at you. It's not right. And, in the night, the unseen, sleepless tears of humiliation, upset and rage will fall to the echoes of people making a living from your disgrace.

Referees will always get things wrong. Even if we give them the option to default to technology for the big stuff, they'll look at the screen and make the wrong call, sometimes. They'll get some little stuff wrong too. They'll never be always right. There'll always be room for outrage if outrage is what we want to feel.

As another tirade of opprobrium is poured upon an official's head, maybe it's time we learned that to err is to be human and to feel some sympathy for the refereeing devils, rather than outrage. Save that for the Daily Mail, Coldplay and starting sentences with "So".

Article by John Nicholson

Not sure if they're still doing it but BT Sport going to a 3rd man ref (normally Mark Halsey) during the game is one of the things I've enjoyed this season as he at least tells you the laws of the game and says how the ref has applied those laws and then says if he thinks the ref made the right or wrong call based on the laws of the game.

Didn't stop Michael Owen disagreeing with him a few times though even though the ex PL ref explained the rules in black and white for Michael who then use the "in my opinion I don't think it's a red/yellow card" rule.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:11 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Referee Mark Clattenburg will miss this weekend’s fixtures amidst reports that he broke travel rules to attend a pop concert.

A number of newspapers claim the official travelled in his own car to oversee West Brom’s 2-2 draw with Crystal Palace last weekend as he wanted to return in time to watch Ed Sheeran in Newcastle.

Under Premier League regulations, the referee and his assistants must travel together for integrity and security purposes.

Clattenburg had already earned criticism from Palace manager Neil Warnock, who complained that Victor Anichebe’s goal for West Brom should have been disallowed after Craig Dawson clashed with goalkeeper Julian Speroni.

Newspapers also suggested the referee broke Premier League code by talking to Warnock while in his car.

Officials are only allowed to speak to managers after a game when all the assistants are present, or with the permission of a referee’s governing body.

Should've taken his assistants with him to the concert :doh:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Why do they have to travel to and from the ground together?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Why do they have to travel to and from the ground together?

I assume it stops the potential for one of the officials to be corrupted if they travel to and from the game together less chance of one official being threatened or bribed on the way to and from the ground.

It's a rule he knows and obeys 99% of the time he's decided to break the rule and has been punished for it which for me is fair enough.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
But where does it start stop. Do they have to travel all the way to FA headquarters meet up and travel to the game. Travel back to HQ and then home?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
But where does it start stop. Do they have to travel all the way to FA headquarters meet up and travel to the game. Travel back to HQ and then home?

I don't know the exact details but I believe they stay in a hotel the night before a game then travel from the hotel to the game and back in the same car.

i reckon the ref gets the bed then the assistants sleep either side of him on the floor sometimes he lets them get in to top and tail if he's feeling lonely.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:38 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
idontfeardeath wrote:

I don't know the exact details but I believe they stay in a hotel the night before a game then travel from the hotel to the game and back in the same car.

i reckon the ref gets the bed then the assistants sleep either side of him on the floor sometimes he lets them get in to top and tail if he's feeling lonely.

:lol:

They probably have to bunk up the moment they get assigned the match (which I reckon is a few days before?)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former referees' boss Keith Hackett claims officiating standards in the Premier League over Christmas were "bordering on appalling".

Hackett, 70, has named five current top-flight referees who should be removed at the end of the season.

In addition, he believes successor Mike Riley should step down from his job.

Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) has rejected Hackett's claims, stating standards have risen since Riley replaced Hackett in 2010.

Former Fifa referee Hackett claims he counted "over 20 major errors" during the Christmas period.

He cited Wayne Routledge's red card during Swansea's game at QPR on 1 January, which was later overturned, as being of particular concern.

"I see standards falling," he said. "Over the Christmas period it reached standards that were bordering on appalling.

"Routledge received a reckless challenge. My expectation was that his opponent might receive a red card."

Hackett added: "There was a pretty poor performance from Andre Marriner in the Manchester City-Everton game. First of all the failure to spot a challenge that resulted in Sergio Aguero having to go off, then a non-penalty decision.

"I was with a group of Fifa referees from Nigeria who watched with amazement. Do you think I took joy in that?"

Marriner is one of the five referees identified by Hackett in his blog, You Are The Ref, who in his view should finish at the end of the season. Mike Jones, Lee Mason, Chris Foy and last season's FA Cup final referee Lee Probert are the others.

"You can't live on your reputation," Hackett said. "At the moment, these guys are performing well below the level."

Hackett, who refereed at the European Championship and the Olympic Games in 1988 and who led PGMOL for almost six years after replacing Philip Don in March 2004, feels Riley should take responsibility.

"I am criticising very strongly," said Hackett. "If the guy is at the bottom of the league then his job is at risk. At this moment in time he [Riley] is more than bottom.

"I am seeing a regression. The performances of the referees are not acceptable. He must carry the responsibility."

Information supplied to the BBC by PGMOL states that the accuracy of decision-making by referees in the Premier League is currently at an all-time high.

The figures claim accuracy on major decisions was up to 95% from 94.1%, accuracy on decisions in the penalty box stood at 98%, and offsides were now 99% accurate, compared to 92% when Riley took over.

PGMOL adds that delegate marks for referees have gone up every season since Riley succeeded Hackett and the latest data shows referees are being asked to do 176 high-speed runs and 50 sprints in a game - a 64% increase on five seasons ago.

I think it's verging on impossible to ref the game these days because players are trying to con you all the time and the added situation of the yellow card for a player suspected of simulating makes it even worse when they get it wrong like in the cases with Aguero & Fabregas this season where they'v been booked for getting fouled in the box.

I personally believe that they do a fantastic job and they don't really get praised by managers when they get everything right but they get one big call wrong and the managers/pundits are all over them. If you watch MOTD now after every game the first thing they do is analysis the big decisions by the referee.

I'm not really sure the standard is dropping they've had some bad decisions lately but that happens and a lot of the time I think a lack of understanding/clarity in the rules make it tough to find consistency especially when it comes to handball in the box or holding on set pieces.

The problem is I don't see any refs from the lower leagues being much better it's not really a career choice people are going to make if you're going to be battered for getting it right over 90% of the time. Personally I'd like to se the rules changed on managers/players discussing referee in a pre/post match interview it should be off limits no comment if you bring it up it's a ban we need to take the refs out of the spotlight.

I really don't want us to go down the route of video technology because it will slow the game down so much as where do you draw the line? If you're a striker and the flag goes up do you carry on and put the ball in the net then hope the replay shows you were onside?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Referees' boss Mike Riley has defended current officiating standards following criticism from his predecessor Keith Hackett.

Former Professional Game Match Officials Limited general manager Hackett said earlier this month that the current group of referees is "the worst that we have seen".

And several Premier League managers have also been critical of the officials this season, with Swansea boss Garry Monk stating that refs should be suspended if they make obvious mistakes.

However, Riley disputes the idea that standards are deteriorating and says performance data shows the opposite is true.

Riley told The Times: "Keith's entitled to his opinion, everyone has one.

"But Keith's description is not something I recognise of the organisation, the standards and what these officials achieve.

"It's not something that the people that I engage with - the PFA (Professional Footballers' Association), LMA (League Managers Association), FA (Football Association) - recognise. None of the data bears that out.

"You always look back and think 'wasn't life good then'. But my view is every generation is improving on the last.

"Go back over the last five years, whether we judge the data from evaluation (by former referees) or the Premier League delegates, it all suggests year-on-year the group have improved on-field standards.

"We also know it gets more demanding, so we have to keep improving. Expectations were completely different before, there wasn't the camera coverage or scrutiny.

"People forgave players more mistakes than now and forgave referees more mistakes.

"If you look at the development of PGMOL over the last five years, it's been transformational. By any measure it's been a successful organisation. We will always have a period of mistakes but judge us over 380 games."

I'm not sure the overall quality is dropping they still get most things right but there does seem to be an awful lot of absolute howlers happening these days and what isn't helping currently is the yellow card for simulation policy. When they get those ones wrong they just look stupid and we've had two big ones with Fabregas & Aguero this season where nailed on pens have ended up with the attacking player getting booked.

Personally I think the media give it to much attention and the focus on it every year gets more and more because there's more TV/Media involvement sky sports news need a story to fill a 24/7 news channel and a referee mistake can help do that. Everyone pipes up and has their say on it whereas even 15 years ago these errors were dealt with on MOTD on Saturday night then maybe a bit of coverage on Sunday but by Monday morning most of the time we'd all moved on.

I think generally they even themselves out over the season for most sides so I think it's time everyone backed off the refs and the FA banned the refs from being discussed by players/managers in pre/post game press conferences take the attention away from them as so many managers use a bad decision to gloss over a cr*p performance.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Martin Atkinson needs a rest after his "incompetent" officiating display in Chelsea's 1-1 draw with Burnley, says former referees' chief Keith Hackett.

Saturday's game was Atkinson's 32nd of season and came fewer than 72 hours after he took charge of Real Madrid's Champions League win at Schalke.

Blues boss Jose Mourinho said Atkinson got four key decisions wrong.

Hackett said: "Champions League games are tiring. Martin should have been given an additional day to recover."

Atkinson sent off Chelsea midfielder Nemanja Matic for pushing Ashley Barnes to the ground in the 70th minute of Saturday's game.

But Hackett said Barnes had already made two challenges worthy of red cards.

Having not been sanctioned for an aerial clash with Branislav Ivanovic, the Burnley forward caught Matic on his left shin with his studs showing, prompting the Serb's angry response.

Barnes will face no disciplinary action by the Football Association for the challenge on Matic.

The Serb, however, will miss Sunday's Capital One Cup final against Tottenham unless Chelsea successfully appeal against a three-match suspension.

Hackett said Atkinson's performance was "one of the worst" he has seen, adding: "It was an incompetent display.

"I feel sorry for the Chelsea player because he has reacted to a leg-breaking challenge. Never mind a cup final, that could have cost him his career.

"There is no place in the game for challenges like that and it should have been punished."

Atkinson has refereed more Premier League games than any other official this season.

Hackett added: "Send Martin to a hotel somewhere, just as Liverpool did with Raheem Sterling."

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers let Sterling spend time in Jamaica last month after detecting signs of fatigue in the 20-year-old forward.

He also missed a very strong penalty shout for Burnley the guys had a shocker and he should be dropped for the next round of PL games (assuming they still do that).

On the penalties he missed on Sunday I think the Costa one was blatant but the handball one from his angle might have looked like the ball went into the defenders chest rather than hit the arm surely had he seen it strike the arm he would've given the penalty.

I don't think you can really compare Atkinson to Sterling who was given a rest because he's still a kid Atkinson is meant to be our top ref.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Alan Smith has described the weekend red card controversy at Old Trafford as a ‘dog’s dinner’.

Manchester United beat Sunderland 2-0 but the game was overshadowed by referee Roger East’s decision to send off Wes Brown, even though team-mate John O’Shea appeared to have tripped Radamel Falcao.

In a statement released via the Professional Game Match Officials Limited (PGMOL) on Saturday evening, East insisted it was not a case of mistaken identity and he did in fact mean to send Brown off.

Forner Arsenal and England striker Smith belives such incidents could be easily avoided if the sport was prepared to embrace the technology currently available.

He told The Morning View on Sky Sports News HQ: “It was obviously John O’Shea who committed the foul but Roger East clearly felt that Brown committed the final foul that denied the goal-scoring opportunity.

“He’s looking at it from behind so I don’t know whether he thinks Wes Brown has pulled back Falcao or whether he had tripped him but the way he has interpreted it then it means that it cannot be reversed. They can appeal the sending off obviously but John O’Shea, I don’t think can be suspended can he?

“We don’t know whether Roger East got confirmation from his linesman. He’s obviously spoken to his assistant but his assistant may have said ‘Sorry Roger you are on your own here, I didn’t have a good enough view of it.’ “

The issue came on the weekend after football's rule-making advisory body, International Football Association Board (IFAB), decided to delay video technology trials to help referees for at least 12 months.

This is despite various parties, including FA chairman Greg Dyke, calling for pilot studies to be introduced and Smith is backing the use of technology to help the match officials.

Smith said: “The referee may have just gone with what he thought. It’s an absolute dog’s dinner and the fourth official may have had a chance to see it on a monitor and we could clear these things up so quickly.”

The ref clearly saw a foul that wasn't there and he was in the best place to give that decision as he was right behind it the 4th official is on the half way line and assistant was side on. He clearly asked for help from the rest of his team but none of them had the view required to correct him so he had to stick with his original decision if the players weren't all such notorious lying cheats he might have believed O'Shea who was clearly telling the ref it was he who fouled Falcao not Brown.

My gut instinct at the time was it was definitely O'Shea who comitted the foul but you can see how the ref made this mistake I think the refs association should've come out and said that while the ref felt he gave the right decision on review he's made an error as Brown doesn't committ a second foul it is O'Shea who fouls he man twice.

I'm a little worried that Sky are pushing this video tech debate for their own benefit as it makes them an even bigger part of the game as they control the cameras and they're probably thinking they could get paid for providing this service at the match.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The FA has announced that an independent regulatory commission has upheld a claim of wrongful dismissal in relation to Sunderland defender Wes Brown.

Brown was dismissed by referee Roger East during Sunderland's 2-0 defeat to Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday for denying an obvious goalscoring opportunity when Radamel Falcao was tripped inside the penalty area.

However, television replays showed it was Brown's team-mate John O'Shea who should have been sent off and Sunderland announced their intention to appeal on Sunday.

That appeal has now been upheld and Brown's one-match suspension has therefore been withdrawn with immediate effect and he will be free to face Hull City on Tuesday.

Referees' body the Professional Game Match Officials Limited released a statement after Saturday's match insisting it was not a case of mistaken identity and that East did in fact mean to send Brown off.

East believed he saw contact from O'Shea and Brown on Falcao and sent off the latter as, in his view, Brown's foul had been the crucial one, the statement said.

However, the independent regulatory commission convened by the FA has now cleared Brown of any wrongdoing.

See this is wrong as O'Shea should now be banned for the game vs Hull who I imagine aren't happy about this because the ref ballsed up the sending off Sunderland have got a free decision off the FA on a technicality

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Premier League referees are "hurt" by recent criticism of their standards and professionalism, says Howard Webb.

Former World Cup final referee Webb says he has provided advice and support to under-pressure match officials.

"They want to be told: 'You are not losing your mind, you are not losing your ability,'" Webb, 43, said.

Elite-group referees Martin Atkinson and Roger East have both made high-profile errors during recent Premier League matches.

Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho condemned Atkinson's decision not to punish Burnley's Ashley Barnes for a tackle on midfielder Nemanja Matic during the 1-1 Premier League draw on 21 February.

East sent off Wes Brown during Sunderland's 2-0 loss to Manchester United at Old Trafford on Saturday for a foul committed by his Black Cats defensive partner John O'Shea.

Former referees' chief Keith Hackett called Atkinson's performance at Stamford Bridge "incompetent", while the Football Association rescinded Brown's red card on Monday.

Webb, who retired in August 2014 to become the technical director of the Professional Games Match Officials Limited, says the 18-strong Select Group of elite referees are affected when they make mistakes and often need support to rebuild their confidence.

"It really hurts - it did right until the end with me," Webb told The Times (subscription required).

"And I know it does for people in the Select Group now, because I speak to them.

"The guys deal with it in different ways. Some will ring me and speak to me for three hours on the Sunday about the previous day. They just want to get it all out there. They want to rationalise what's gone off."

I guess what some people forget is that refs like players can suffer a loss in form but generally we do have some of the top refs in the world in the PL but the length to which every decision is analysed on TV now makes the job almost impossible.

If we don't get video replays maybe what they should get is a head camera on the ref so we can see what he sees so you can actually form a decision based purely on what he saw at full speed obviously it wouldn't know which way his eyes look but it would be a better tool to use to see the refs angle.

If the refs had this camera on them (obviously with the sound turned off) some of the players might think twice about how they act in front of the referee.