AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hull: The Place To Be
PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sky Sports understands Hull City forward Sone Aluko is close to agreeing a new deal to stay at the KC Stadium.

Aluko is out of contract at the end of this season and Hull boss Steve Bruce is keen to tie him down to a new long-term contract.

The 24-year-old has been one of Hull's shining lights in the first season back in the Premier League and has been instrumental in helping the Tigers pick up 10 points from their opening six games.

A number of clubs are thought to be monitoring Aluko's contract situation, but Hull are determined to secure his future on a new deal.

Aluko's representative, Liam O'Donnell of Pro-Legal Sports Management, confirmed talks are ongoing between all parties and hopes that a resolution will soon be found.

"Talks are ongoing about a new deal for Sone," O'Donnell told Sky Sports.

"We are hopeful of an agreement soon as there is a willingness from all parties to get a successful resolution."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City goalkeeper Allan McGregor has been ruled out for up to six weeks because of a thigh injury.

The news is a big blow to Hull boss Steve Bruce as McGregor has been in outstanding form for City this season.

The Scotland international suffered the injury during last weekend's 2-1 defeat at Everton.

Bruce told the club's official website on Thursday: "We've just found out this morning that Allan is going to be out for five or six weeks.

"As I've said repeatedly, injuries are the one area where we needed to stay fit and healthy and this one couldn't have come at a worse time.

"Allan will be a big miss for us because he has played very, very well and we wish him a speedy recovery."

Steve Harper, signed over the summer after his contract at Newcastle expired, will stand in, starting in this weekend's trip to Tottenham.

Bruce said: "This is the reason we brought Steve in to be fair. He's got an abundance of Premier League experience and we're lucky that we can call upon somebody with his experience."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City chairman Assem Allam has confirmed his long-term intention to rename the club Hull Tigers.

The Egypt-born businessman announced in August the company name has changed from Hull City AFC to Hull City Tigers.

But any plans to alter the club name would need to be ratified by the Football Association.

Hull fans' group City Til We Die hopes that could lead to an intervention and accused Allam of confusing the holding company and the football team name.

A statement on its website read: "Our group has already had extensive contact with key figures at the FA, and we anticipate they will take a dim view... of this announcement."

Allam says he has to find other income streams for the club as the KC Stadium is owned by the council.

The 74-year-old believes a 'Tigers' brand would be more marketable, having previously said he considers the word 'City' to be "lousy" and "common".

Allam said in a statement on the club website: "Having been deprived of opportunities to acquire the stadium freehold, which would have enabled us to create the infrastructure in the surrounding area, we will now need to focus on generating commercial income from elsewhere.

"A shorter club name will hopefully enable us to do so, with a stronger, quicker marketing impact all over the world."

A decision on further shortening the club's name to simply Hull Tigers is expected to be made early next year.

The FA's Rule 3L states: "Any application for a change of playing name must be received by the Association before 1 April in any calendar year in order for it to be considered by [the FA] Council for adoption in the following playing season.

"[The] Council will use its absolute discretion in deciding whether to approve a change in a club's playing name."

Steve Bruce's side, who were promoted back to the Premier League in May, are currently 12th in the top flight.

The City Til We Die statement added: "We remain puzzled that Dr Allam cannot distinguish between the name of his holding company and the football name of the club he owns.

"Until he registers a new name with the Football Association, the club remains Hull City AFC. His belief that we are already called Hull City Tigers, a name ripe for shortening, is therefore spectacularly ill-judged and erroneous.

"Let us be clear - Dr Allam CANNOT change the football name of the club without approval of the FA, who in turn require consultation with fans."

Allam, who moved to Hull in 1968 to study and has since set up a multi-million pound company in nearby Melton, took charge of the club in December 2010.

At that point, they were close to entering administration after relegation from the Premier League left them with about £35m of debt.

I really don't understant why they want to do this unless it's a tactic to force the council to sell him the ground and as the fans group said it requires FA approval and I can't see them siding with the owner but you never know. You would hope that Greg Dyke could be easily lobied to step in personally and block something like this.

I don't really see how changing the name will help market the club as it drives away your core support in Hull and foreign fans tend to follow the succesful clubs which doesn't include Hull at the moment. I imagine it would get them a bit of short term publicity but is it really worth it?

How many people actually call them Hull City? I just call them Hull you tend to only stick the second name of clubs in if you're in a town/city that has two teams with the same first names like Manchester or Bristol.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
In a marble-floored suite above the factory floor at Assem Allam's company headquarters, the Hull City owner maintains, knowingly, "the man is not for turning" over the issue of renaming the club Hull Tigers. It is not, he repeatedly insists, a change of name, because at Companies House, and registered with the Football Association, the club is officially called Hull City Tigers. This will be only a further shortening of the name, Allam having already dropped AFC earlier this year – "AFC meant nothing," he says, waving his hand.
A dapper 76, Allam, used to running his own business for 30 years, more recently with his son Ehab as a co-director, maintains that Tigers is a name of "power". It will, he envisages, enable the club, known as Hull City since 1904, to market itself globally, making the millions of pounds it needs to become sustainable in the Premier League.

"Manchester United are selling shirts in the far east," Allam says, "selling commercial activities all over the world. We need the club to be known globally, and shortening the name will make the club known globally."
Hull City need to make money somehow; the accounts for the year to 31 July 2013 will be published this week and will, Allam says, show a £28m loss for what should be the romantic story of Premier League promotion. He believes that to stay up they need to buy a striker in January for the manager, Steve Bruce, and overall, predicts City will lose a further £11m this year. This follows £20m lost in 2010-11, the first year Allam took over, and £9m lost in 2011-12, so losses will amount to £68m altogether in the four years he has owned the club.
Allam arrived in Hull with his young family in 1968 from Egypt, where he says he fled Nasser's dictatorship, which targeted him with arrest and beatings after he opposed it publicly. He studied accountancy while working at manual jobs, then eventually in the 1980s bought out a company manufacturing generators, from the investment bank that employed him as a finance director. Now named after him, Allam Marine is flourishing in these new premises, his black Rolls Royce with his personalised number plate, 2 AA, parked in the No1 spot outside.
He says he put £66m into Hull City by July, to scoop up the club's financial meltdown under the previous owner, the property investor Russell Bartlett, then the losses since. He sank the money in from profits and, he says, selling land and businesses in Egypt. He says he was able to get his money out unhindered by the Mubarak dictatorship, which was then approaching its popular ousting. The Allam Marine accounts show he took £28m out of his business, paying a £16m dividend to himself in 2010, then £12m in 2011.
Since then, Allam Marine has encountered rockier times; its turnover almost halved from £185m in 2010-11 to £100m in 2011-12, although he says it has now picked up. Exporting to Egypt, Libya and Syria, trade was hit by the political turmoil, and elsewhere by the eurozone crisis, he says. The fortunes are not there for him to continually bankroll a football club in the world's highest-rolling league.
"I cannot keep throwing money into it," he says. "There must be a limit. Our target is for the club to be self-financed, relying on its own resources."
So, it becomes clear, he is staking a great deal on presuming a worldwide bonanza from "shortening" the name, citing an article he found in the Harvard Business Review which said companies with short names do better when they float on the stock market.
"Which of the three names would you remove?" he asks, rhetorically. "Hull is relevant. City is not relevant. Tigers: are you telling me you would drop the symbol of power?"
An alliance of bewildered supporters' groups has protested, without success so far. Asked if he has researched the projected global advantage Tigers will accrue, he says not yet. "I know it will make a difference; shorter names have a quicker impact, it is textbook marketing," he states. He hopes to make the change "early next year," after looking further into it.
Posed the obvious point, that everybody knows the club as Hull City, so Hull Tigers is actually longer, Allam replies: "I will not let people get away with that. Everybody knows it now as Hull City Tigers."
As he develops his explanations, a striking revelation emerges. All this talk of a name-shortened route to global expansion has sprung from a very local fallout. Hull City's most obvious means of expansion is at home, at the KC Stadium, not in hoped-for millions from east Asia. Hull city council built the stadium with £43.5m of public money in 2002, a civic boost to the status of Hull City and Hull FC rugby league club, who became tenants. Built at a 25,586 capacity, the stadium was designed to fit additional tiers and create 30,000 seats if the football club became successful enough.
Allam held discussions on this almost immediately, in which he says the council indicated it did not want to sell the stadium and wanted to do the expansion jointly. He refused, having few good words for the council, and insisted he had to buy the freehold. Then he would finance the extra seats, and commercial businesses around the stadium. "Tell me," he asks, rhetorically again, "would you build an extension on a house if you didn't own it?"
He then took great exception to an interview one councillor gave on local radio after a meeting, which Allam says implied he wanted to do the development for his own financial benefit. That was not the case, he says; although he would own it, the money would be for the club.
"That was it," he says, his hand slicing the air. "I have severed my relationship with the council."
He says he suggested to the council leader, Stephen Brady, a "committee of inquiry", to decide whether the councillor had misrepresented the meeting. But no such committee was set up, and so: "My relationship is severed with the council. And when I say severed, I mean severed."
Asked about this account, Brady declined to talk about details, limiting himself to telling the Guardian: "I am willing to meet with Mr Allam at any time to discuss his proposals."
Allam says that instead of spending £30m on the development, he then sank it largely into players transfer fees and wages which have brought the club this quick promotion.
Now, marketing Hull Tigers to the world is his big idea to make the money needed, instead of the stadium expansion which is waiting to be done.
On the way out, Allam points out some handsome photographs; one with Bruce, posing after promotion between Allam and Ehab. One huge picture shows Allam himself, standing smiling above a matchday crowd. Underneath is a quote from the French novelist Victor Hugo: "There is nothing more powerful," it reads, "than an idea whose time has come."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 2:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City owner Assem Allam has offered to refund season-ticket holders who are unhappy about the name change he has proposed.

While the club's 'playing name' is still Hull City AFC, Allam changed the company name to Hull City Tigers earlier this year.

He is now intending to have the playing name altered to Hull Tigers for next season, despite protests led by Hull fans' group City Til We Die.

Allam told the Hull Daily Mail: "There's no need for a referendum. The crowd we get inside the stadium is the perfect referendum.

"Fans can choose to vote with their feet. If they are not happy, they can stay away. I am also willing to refund any unhappy season ticket holder who wants their money back.

"I understand that fans have purchased or may have purchased season tickets in the expectation they were for Hull City AFC. Having learned the AFC is now not present, they are perfectly entitled to seek a refund.

"The club will be more than happy to oblige by paying them back in full, on a pro-rata basis, if they are not happy with the plans to rebrand the club."

Hull, who are currently 12th in the Premier League standings, host managerless Crystal Palace at the KC Stadium on Saturday.

I obviously wouldn't be a fan of him if this was happening at my club.

But his very public you lot can go f*ck yourself I'll do what I want attitude to running a football club is rather entertaining.

I really hope he brings in a rule that says in order to get into the ground you must have your face painted like a tiger.
They change the beer in the ground to Tiger beer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jake Livermore has revealed he would consider turning his loan move at Hull City into a permanent deal.

Tottenham midfielder Livermore joined Hull on a season-long loan deal in the summer after finding himself down the pecking order at White Hart Lane.

The 24-year-old has impressed at the KC Stadium and Tigers boss Steve Bruce has intimated he would be keen to keep Livermore on a permanent basis.

Livermore has settled into life at Hull and he admits it is up to the two clubs to discuss his long-term future.

"I'm still a Tottenham player so I don't know the situation at the minute," Livermore told the Hull Daily Mail.

"As far as I know, Tottenham seem to be coping without me so I don't see any reason why there would be a recall.

"In the meantime I'm happy here playing my football with Hull. If the two clubs could sort something out I'd be more than happy to look at it.

"I've been here long enough to know what the club and the manager are about so I'd be more than happy to listen to any interest.

"I love the area. I've moved into a new place recently. It's nice and quiet and pretty much how I lived just outside of London.

"It's a nice place to be, for my whole family, not just myself, and nice to be playing football."

Be a good move for him especially if Hull stay up.

He's never going to get a chance at Spurs which is sad and makes a bit of a mockery of their youth policy because this lad has talent yet they've decided to spend £30m on midfield players this summer which permanently blocks his route into the first team. Did they really need to sign Capoue when they could've given this lad a proper chance.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City have confirmed that they have agreed a fee with Premier League rivals Everton for striker Nikica Jelavic.

Everton have given the Tigers permission to open talks with the Croatia international over a possible move to the KC Stadium.

The 28-year-old, who moved to Goodison Park from Rangers in a £5.5m deal two years ago, has struggled to earn a regular place in the first-team under Roberto Martinez this season.

Jelavic has made only 10 Premier League appearances, and he scored his first goals of the season in the 4-0 FA Cup win over QPR at the weekend.

Hull boss Steve Bruce has put Jelavic top of his January hit-list in a bid to solve his shortage of strikers, and the Tigers will now attempt to agree personal terms with the forward over the next few days.

A statement on the Hull website read: "Hull City have reached an agreement with Everton over the transfer of striker Nikica Jelavic and will now enter talks with the player.

"The 28-year-old Croatian international has scored 21 goals in 69 appearances for Everton since joining them from Rangers in January 2012."

Jelavic has been linked with a number of clubs since the transfer window opened, with Premier League strugglers West Ham and Crystal Palace both rumoured to be interested.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Steve Bruce has convinced Nikica Jelavic that Hull City are the right team for him, and the striker cannot wait to get started.

It was revealed on Friday evening that the Tigers had seen a bid accepted by Everton for the Croatia international.

The Toffees are prepared to let him go as he has endured a difficult time in front of goal this season and finds himself behind loan star Romelu Lukaku in the Goodison Park pecking order.

Jelavic hopes a fresh start will help him to rediscover his spark in the final third, with an initial flurry of goals following a move from Rangers in January 2012 proving that he is a capable Premier League marksman.

He is still waiting for the formalities of a switch to the KC Stadium to be completed, but the 28-year-old is convinced that he is making the right career choice.

Jelavic told Jutarnji list: "Steve Bruce called me and told me that he wants me in his team as a leading attacker.

"He asked me if I'm ready to move, then talked briefly about the club, his coaching philosophy and about the club's goals.

"He was very confident during that conversation and after that I agreed to move to Hull City.

"The club suits me and I'm happy that the clubs have found an agreement for my transfer."

Not sure why Everton are letting him go unless they've got someone coming in because if Lukaku gets injured they don't have any backup Jelavic is nowhere near as good as Lukaku but he's still an ok striker.

Be interesting to see how he does at Hull if they can create chances for him I think he'll score some goals for them but is he really much of an upgrade on Danny Graham?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sky sources understand Nikica Jelavic has left Everton to join Hull - who have also now agreed a fee with West Brom for Shane Long.

Hull manager Steve Bruce has been linked with the two players for some time and the club confirmed last week they had agreed a fee with Everton for Croatia international Jelavic.

The 28-year-old moved to Goodison Park from Rangers in a £5.5m deal two years ago but has struggled to earn a regular starting berth under Roberto Martinez this season.

Jelavic has made only 10 Premier League appearances this season and scored his first goals of the campaign in the 4-0 FA Cup win over QPR.

Bruce is understood to have made Jelavic his top transfer target for the January window though and he looks to have got his man.

Meanwhile, Republic of Ireland international Long looks set to join Jelavic at the KC Stadium.

Long has been linked with a move to Hull for some time, although Bruce was forced to issue an apology last week after media reports claimed they had already agreed a deal with West Brom for the player.

The move remains in the pipeline, however, and could be completed soon now that the transfer of Jelavic has been finalised.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City owner Assem Allam has threatened to walk out on the club if the FA fails back his plans to change the club's name.

Allam wants the club to drop the 'City' from its name and be known as Hull Tigers - a move that has provoked widespread opposition from the club's fans.

However, Allam is unrepentant and says he will pull his investment out of Hull "within 24 hours" if his plans are blocked.

"No-one on earth is allowed to question my business decisions - I won't allow it," he told Sky Sports News. "And I'll give you my CV to give you comfort and show you what I have achieved.

"I'm here to save the club and manage the club for the benefit of the community - it will never, ever be the other way around - take it from me.

"But the community can say "go away" and I will go within 24 hours.

"They can have it if they want, but it is a minority, normally the minority shout louder. I don't go by that, I go by the majority normally, you know this from many many examples.

"I haven't met more than two in the last month who say they would rather keep the name and play conference, I've had two people saying that, luckily only two.

"But if the majority are saying that then no harm done, just as soon as I know that it is the majority, and it is not the majority, then I go, I go with a smile."

When asked what would happen if the FA said he could not change the club's name, Allam said: "The same thing. It's a free country. There are no two ways about it - I have never said something and then gone back on it.

"I don't think it's a big issue actually, it's a big issue in the media's mind and the media are aggravating the situation because it suits the media.

"I mix with many people here in the area and outside the area, and it's not a major thing, the feedback I get is "we don't care if you drop City as long as we want to wake up Saturday morning and go to see quality football, and see the top players, some of the top players in the world playing football in our back yard". So I don't see it, from their life as a big issue really.

"We are unique, Hull Tigers are unique, we are the only club not forcing the issue, owners are not forcing the issue."

Allam's statement came as he confirmed City will sign Everton striker Nikica Jelavic today and are in talks with West Brom forward Shane Long.

Steve Bruce has been looking to boost his forward line in the January transfer window and has been linked with the two players for some time.

Croatia international Jelavic moved to Goodison Park from Rangers in a £5.5m deal but has made only 10 Premier League appearances this term and scored his first goals of the season in the 4-0 FA Cup win over QPR.

"He will sign today," Allam said of Jelavic. "It's a massive deal, our biggest ever. The club is moving forward."

Allam is also hopeful they will also be able to bring Republic of Ireland international Long to the KC Stadium.

Long has been linked with a move to East Yorkshire for some time, although Bruce was forced to issue an apology last week after media reports claimed they had already agreed a deal with West Brom for the player.

Allam is hopeful the move will be completed though, leaving Bruce with a potentially new strikeforce for Saturday's trip to Norwich.

"I hope so. I think we agreed terms," said Allam when asked about Long.

"It's a matter of talking, getting the club to release and the player to agree."

I'd love to see the FA call his bluff for me the FA need to contact every season ticket holder at Hull and ask them to vote YES or NO on the name change and the majority rules on it.

The owner needs to come out and explain how the name change is going to allow him to increase the commercial revenue at the club to make it self sustaining as no one should expect him to keep covering losses. If he came out and explained the strategy to the fans behind how this is going to be achieved they might not be so against it but the trends in football seem to be if you're succesful on the pitch it will improve things off the pitch in terms of sponsorship/commercial deals the fact you're calling City or Tigers doesn't really mean anything to sponsors. No one outside of Hull calls them City anyway they just call them Hull and when they change to Hull Tigers everyone will just continue calling them Hull.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull have completed the signing of West Brom striker Shane Long for an undisclosed fee.

The Republic of Ireland striker passed a medical on Thursday and completed the formalities of his transfer on Friday morning, in time to feature against Norwich this weekend.

Long joins on a three-and-a-half-year deal in the same week Hull spent a reported £6.5m on Everton striker Nikica Jelavic.

His arrival takes Steve Bruce's January spending on strikers well beyond the £10m mark and adds further goal threat to a squad which has managed just 22 in 21 Premier League games this season.

"I finally got the deal signed," Long told the club website. "I've met all the lads and everybody seems really friendly. It's a club that's on the up, and I'm delighted to be a part of that."

Long's fellow Irishmen Paul McShane and Robbie Brady are already at the KC Stadium, and he said: "I'm lucky I've had a few inside informers letting me know what it's like up here. They all love it, and they're excited by what is happening at the club.

"After meeting the manager, and respecting what he's done as a player and a manager, I was happy to start a new part of my career here and hopefully I can score a few goals to take us further up the league."

The transfer ends Long's two-and-a-half years at Albion, where he scored 19 goals in 81 league games.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:04 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jake Livermore convinced Tottenham Hotspur to let him see out the season on loan at Hull City, rather than be recalled in January.

The 24-year-old midfielder, having been deemed surplus to requirements at White Hart Lane, was allowed to link up with the Tigers last summer.

He has become an integral part of Steve Bruce's plans alongside Tom Huddlestone - another to have made the journey north from Spurs - and is thoroughly enjoying his football.

A return to the capital was mooted in the New Year, with Tim Sherwood having succeeded Andre Villas-Boas as Spurs boss, but Livermore made it clear to his parent club that he wished to honour an agreement with Hull.

He told the Hull Daily Mail: "I spoke to people at both clubs and just stressed that I wanted to stay here and play football.

"I think within that, Tottenham allowed me to stay until the end of the season.

"I think it was just something to do with Tottenham wanting to push Hull's arm. With what I said to Tottenham it became apparent it was the best for all three parties for me to stay."

Hull manager Bruce has already expressed a desire to make Livermore's deal permanent in the summer if Spurs are willing to negotiate, and the one-cap England international is ruling nothing out at this stage.

Livermore added: "Long term, I love the squad here. I love everything around here.

"The gaffer's great. I like the way we try to play football. It's a big statement, the players he's signed. To go and spend that money to bring in that sort of quality, it proves which way he wants the club to go.

"For any young player signing, that's a massive boost.

"Personally I still feel like I've got a point to prove. I was in and out at Tottenham and it's not a nice feeling when managers don't come and talk to you and tell you what you're doing wrong or why you don't get the chance you feel you should be given."

Glad to see him doing well I remember seeing him as a youngster thinking he had potential but he never really got a fair shot at Spurs as the club chased CL football they gave up on developing players. I was a bit surprised when they signed so many defensive midfielders in the summer rather than giving this lad a chance if I was him I'd look to make the move permanent in the summer rather than go back to the bench at Spurs.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:21 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
Glad to see him doing well I remember seeing him as a youngster thinking he had potential but he never really got a fair shot at Spurs as the club chased CL football they gave up on developing players. I was a bit surprised when they signed so many defensive midfielders in the summer rather than giving this lad a chance if I was him I'd look to make the move permanent in the summer rather than go back to the bench at Spurs.

You say make the move permanent but look what Sherwood has done for Bentaleb at Spurs. He's effectively replaced Spurs most expensive signing with Bentaleb, therfore showing he has faith in his youth team. I think if Livermore continues his impressive form, Sherwood (if manager) would not be afraid to use him in the middle with Sandro or Capoue, as an alternative to Paulinho. Although looking at the press from Capoue since Sherwood came in, I wouldn't be sure he'll be at Spurs next season.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

the nut's named eric wrote:
You say make the move permanent but look what Sherwood has done for Bentaleb at Spurs. He's effectively replaced Spurs most expensive signing with Bentaleb, therfore showing he has faith in his youth team. I think if Livermore continues his impressive form, Sherwood (if manager) would not be afraid to use him in the middle with Sandro or Capoue, as an alternative to Paulinho. Although looking at the press from Capoue since Sherwood came in, I wouldn't be sure he'll be at Spurs next season.

Is Sandro fit yet? Will be interesting to see if Bentaleb is still playing every game when Sandro/Paulinho/Eriksen are all fit as you'd have to say on paper that is the strongest 3 as I think Sherwood has realised he can't really play 4-4-2. He obviously doesn't fancy Capoue and it looked like he might even be off in January at one point.

I think Livermore is at the age where he needs to be playing every week as he's missed a lot of football between the age of 18-24 before this season at various clubs he'd managed 105 first team appearences this season he's made 25. I guess if he got the right assurances about playing time there would be no harm in going back to Spurs but I think they'll happily sell him on as they already have better players. Off the back of a season like this they could probably pick up somewhere between £5-10m for him which could be used to strengthen other areas of the team. Spurs are a club that sell to buy and this summer you wouldn't expect them to be making any big name sales so they might look to get rid of a few squad players to buy one or two quality players.

I don't doubt the fact that Sherwood would give him a chance but I just don't see him being the manager of Spurs next season even if they got top 4 I think they'd probably look to get a more high profile manager in.

Assuming Hull stay up and the owner doesn't start implementing some of his bonkers off pitch ideas on the pitch I think Hull would be quite a good move for him. The target for him should be getting another 30-40 games under his belt next season and maybe even trying to catch Roy Hodgson's eye as those midfield spots for France 2016 are all up for grabs as I don't see Carrick/Lampard/Gerrard going on past this World Cup

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City vice-president Ehab Allam has reiterated the threat that his family are prepared to walk away from the club should their proposal to change its name be blocked.

The Allam family, headed by Ehab's father and club chairman Assem Allam, want to change the club's name to Hull Tigers as they believe the brand to be more marketable, and the word "City" to be "lousy" and "common".

A formal application to change the name was submitted to the FA in December but the high-profile 'City Till We Die' supporters' group is vehemently opposing the plan, and it is far from certain the governing body will sign off on the proposal.

In an open letter published in the Hull Daily Mail, Ehab Allam wrote: "We hope the fans understand that we cannot own or run a club where we cannot make the right decisions.

"If we were denied the chance to operate the business in the way we feel fit, and that we firmly believe is in the long-term interests of the club and the fans, then we would have no alternative but to offer the club for sale.

"Currently there are six teams in the Premier League with 'City' in their name, and, with the exception of Manchester City, all of those clubs are in a similar league position to us, and playing to similar-sized crowds.

"We need something that makes us stand out from the pool of teams we find ourselves in when it comes to attracting potential international sponsors, who are simply hoping to use the Premier League, and its global audience, to advertise.

"We feel the Hull Tigers brand would give us an edge in any negotiations."

The Allams have ploughed £74million into the club since 2010 and Ehab Allam has also revealed that it needs to become financially self-sustainable as his family has "nothing left to give" in terms of future financial investment.

He wrote: "With our family having lived in the area for 40 years, we decided to invest £24m of our own money to save the club from liquidation, and probable extinction, in 2010. Since this point we have invested a further £50m to get the club into the Premier League.

"We have nothing left to give, and this is the reason why the club has to become financially self-sustainable.

"For the club to become sustainable we need further investment in the form of increased sponsorships and partnerships, and by utilising the global pull of the Premier League this is possible."

As a fan would you sell the soul of your club just to be in the Premier League?

This is what happens when you have guys come in to try and make money from football clubs which is near impossible they have to make radical changes to attract attention.

Most of this is apparently empty threats because he wants better rates on the ground or even full ownership which the council wont give him so he's kicking off the reason they wont do it is the ground is shared with one of the Rugby league teams.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City have failed in their bid to rename the club Hull Tigers after the proposal was rejected by the Football Association Council.

Club owner Assem Allam had wanted to change the title of Hull to incorporate their nickname in order to make it more marketable and has threatened to pull out of the club if he is blocked.

However, the FA Council has opted to follow the recommendation of the governing body's own membership committee, who voted unanimously that the plan should be rejected last month.

In a statement on their official website, the FA revealed that the Council's decision was carried by a 63.5% vote of its members.

The Council, which is made up of representatives from across football, did not take into account the results of a poll conducted by the club, and published on Monday, which offers evidence of support for the name-change among its supporters.

In a ballot of season-ticket holders over the age of 16, 2,565 voted for the rebrand with 2,517 against. A further 792 expressed indifference while another 9,159 did not take up their right to vote.

Fans were invited to vote "Yes to Hull Tigers with the Allam family continuing to lead the club", "No to Hull Tigers" or "I am not too concerned and will continue to support the club either way".

Opposition group 'City Till We Die' believes Assem Allam, and his son Ehab - the club's vice chairman - attempted to exploit loyalty towards them by wording questions in favour of the poll.

Prior to the vote, Ehab said in an open letter to fans that his family "had put in £74m to the club and had nothing left to give."

Ian Waterson of 'City Till We Die' told Sky Sports News: "We are obviously very happy. For the thousands of people who have supported us not just in Hull but nationally and internationally it is something to be proud of.

"He (Allam) has piled a lot of money into this football club to get it where it is and has done a magnificent job but what he has done on this one issue is something we have had to take issue with because history and heritage is important.

"It is his decision how he wants to take this now. The proper channels have been gone through, the fans have had their say and the club have had their say and the FA have chosen in this instance that the name change should be rejected and we feel it is the common sense decision.

"I can say now, though, that we don't want the owner to leave. We are very happy with what he has done here."

The name-change issue has rumbled on throughout what has been a successful season for Hull, who face Sheffield United in the FA Cup semi-finals this weekend.

A statement on the club's official website read: "The club will not be making any comment on the outcome of today's FA meeting.

"Our focus is on supporting Steve Bruce and the team ahead of Sunday's FA Cup semi-Final, our first in over 80 years.

"We look forward to seeing you all at Wembley."

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:05 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Yannick Sagbo has been fined £15,000 for comments he made about Nicolas Anelka's 'quenelle' case.

The Hull striker was this month charged with aggravated misconduct by the Football Association after posting on Twitter a picture of Anelka's infamous goal celebration accompanied by a message of support.

An Independent Regulatory Commission was convened to hear the case and Sagbo, who admitted the charge, has now been fined and warned over his future conduct.

The Ivory Coast international must also complete a compulsory education course.

Both the player and the FA have the right to appeal the Commission's verdict, which will be explained in writing "in due course".

QPR defender Benoit Assou-Ekotto was charged with the same offence at the same time as Sagbo, while Liverpool's Mamadou Sakho and Samir Nasri of Manchester City were warned for earlier offences relating to the 'quenelle'.

Anelka's comedian friend Dieudonne popularised a gesture associated by some with anti-Semitism.

The striker was banned for five matches for his goal celebration during West Brom's game at West Ham in December, although an Independent Regulatory Commission found he was not an anti-Semite.

He was later sacked by West Brom for gross misconduct after announcing his intention to quit the club.

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:31 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City boss Steve Bruce has been hailed by the club's owners Assem and Ehab Allam after an impressive first season back in the Premier League.

The Tigers currently have a five-point cushion above the bottom three as they occupy 13th place and Bruce, who replaced Nigel Pearson at the KC Stadium in summer 2012, has guided them to a historic first FA Cup final appearance.

Their 37 points, which looks to be enough to secure their Premier League status for another year, is also the club's highest points tally in the top-flight with three games still to play.

After signing the likes of Tom Huddlestone and Curtis Davies in the summer, Bruce was able to boost his squad in January by breaking the club's transfer record to bring in strike duo Shane Long and Nikica Jelavic from West Brom and Everton respectively.

Owner Assem Allam, who has come under fire from sections of the City fan base for wanting to change the name to Hull Tigers, admitted his delight at Bruce's transfer dealings.

"Steve has built a team the whole community can be proud of," he told the Hull Daily Mail.

"Football is like business, you stand or fall by your decisions. If he had failed, we would have failed."

Acting chief executive Ehad Allam was also full of praise for the work done by Bruce throughout the campaign, with survival their initial priority at the start of the season.

"Steve has done a great job," said Ehab Allam. "He has proved to be a very good manager this season.

"We brought him here because of that, and he has lived up to his reputation. He has exceeded all our expectations this season.

"To be promoted in his first year in charge exceeded our expectations. To be in an FA Cup final and look like we are on course for survival has also exceeded all our expectations.

"But then we have also exceeded our expectations by spending what we have."

"Under Steve's leadership he has got the team working the way he wants it. Things are working well in general and all the cogs are working together. It has very much been a good team effort.

"We have been able to get injured players back to fitness fairly quickly so they are able to play again, which has helped to field the best squad possible.

"In general, what we have done both on and off the field has been fantastic."

If Liverpool slip up and don't win the league Bruce surely has to be manager of the year?

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:36 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Isn't it City who will need to slip up? I thought if city win their games they win. Assuming Liverpool don't score 8+ goals more

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:41 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Carrot wrote:
Isn't it City who will need to slip up? I thought if city win their games they win. Assuming Liverpool don't score 8+ goals more

Yes if City win their last 3 games unless Liverpool can make up about 10 goals on the goal difference in their remaining 2 games then City will win the league but Liverpool were so close they could touch it and if they don't win it this season most people will see it as Liverpool slipping up just like we did when City won it 2 seasons ago.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 135 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next