AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:57 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 Post subject: Re: Stoke: Hairy Potters
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:50 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Shaqiri on the verge of signing...WOW!

diouf bojan afellay and the swiss...not bad at all :thumbup:

it seems the decent rejects of the footballing world are keen on doing it on a cold wet night in Stoke

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Shaqiri has been the on/off deal of the summer. I can't work out why no one else is interested he's a cracking footballer. Everton were rumoured to be interested but didn't want to pay the £12m asking price.

I'd imagine the Stoke deal will be tied up in the next couple of days. He was at the game yesterday.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think he's on big wages which might be an issue for some clubs plus there must be a reason why Inter Milan are pulling the plug after only 7 months he only joined them in January. You just don't know what him and his agent are demanding either they could have all sorts of crazy demands to get him to a club like Stoke/Everton.

Always been impressed by him when I've seen him play but that's mainly been in internationals.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke City have completed the signing of Inter Milan winger Xherdan Shaqiri for a club-record fee of £12m.

The 23-year-old Switzerland international, who has 46 caps, was at the Britannia Stadium on Sunday as Stoke lost 1-0 to Liverpool.

He is the Potters' ninth summer signing, just a month after the deal appeared to be off.

Stoke's previous record signing was Peter Crouch, whom they paid Tottenham £10m for in 2011.

Shaqiri joined the Serie A side from German champions Bayern Munich in January and scored three goals in 20 games for the Italians.

He has scored 17 times for his country.

His club career has stalled a bit since he left Basle he's never really settled in a place as he struggled to break in at Bayern and obviously hasn't settled in at Inter.

If they can get him firing though he could be a good addition as he's obviously got talent just maybe needs to find a club where he's loved and he'll be a player that I think Stoke fans will take to.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:52 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Matt Hughes ‏@MattHughesTimes 19m19 minutes ago
#StokeCity have agreed 24m euro fee (£18.2m) with #FCPorto for Gianelli Imbula. Porto will also receive 15 per cent of future transfer fee.

18m ???? wow

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 12:44 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke City goalkeeper Jack Butland has signed a new five-and-a-half-year contract.

The 23-year-old, who joined the Potters in January 2013, was already committed to Stoke until 2019 but has extended his deal for another two years.

Butland has made 99 saves this season, the most in the Premier League, and kept 10 clean sheets.

He is in the England squad for their pre-Euro 2016 friendlies against Germany and the Netherlands.

Butland became England's youngest goalkeeper when he made his debut against Italy in August 2012 aged 19.

He has had to wait until this season to add to his England appearances, starting the Euro 2016 qualifier against Lithuania, which they won 3-0.

Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes said Butland had "exceeded expectations".

He added: "As a club we feel it's important that we tie down our talented young players on lengthy contracts and Jack's new deal is a fitting reward for his progress this season."

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross claims that Zlatan Ibrahimovic "ruined" his international career when the striker scored four past England in 2012.

Shawcross won his one and only cap so far for England against Ibrahimovic's Sweden side in a friendly in November 2012, being introduced as a 74th-minute substitute.

The Three Lions were leading 2-1 in Stockholm when the Stoke defender came on, but Ibrahimovic struck three more times - including a stunning overhead kick from outside the area - as the Swedes eventually won 4-2.

Despite his consistently impressive performances for Stoke since then, Shawcross has so far failed to win another England cap.

"I'm the butt of the joke in my family, just because the 10 minutes I had in international football was ruined by one man," he told the Telegraph.

"They are consistently saying that Zlatan ruined my career! I had a chance and I don't think many other defenders have stopped him.

"I was given 10 minutes to show what I could do and probably didn't provide a good enough performance. I was against one of the best strikers in the world who was on a hot streak at the time and these things happen."

Shawcross has managed just 14 Premier League appearances for Stoke in an injury-hit campaign so far, but the Potters have kept seven clean sheets during those games.

The 28-year-old missed their 2-1 win over Watford at the weekend with injury, but is hoping to be back in action following the international break as Stoke chase a European spot.

Shawcross could become reacquainted with Ibrahimovic next season if the Paris Saint-Germain striker, who is out of contract in the summer, moves to the Premier League.

I think he's been a bit unlucky with timings as England were trying to give youth a chance with Smalling/Jones always getting picked regardless of how they were playing and Cahill/Jagielka the first choice he probably deserved more of a chance but it's probably a bit late to introduce him before Euro 2016. If Jagielka retires after the Euros you could maybe say give him a chance in the world cup qualifiers as you would then have Shawcross, Cahill, Smalling & Stones as your 4 I don't think there's any youngsters really knocking on the door for a place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:39 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Stoke have sold their naming rights to the stadium to bet365 for the next 6 years.

No more wet, windy Tuesday nights at the Brittania it's now wet, windy Tuesday nights at the bet365

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Mark Hughes has confirmed Stoke City have made several bids for West Brom striker Saido Berahino.

Hughes also refused to be drawn into commenting on speculation that Stoke could be interested in signing former Arsenal and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie from Turkish club Fenerbahce.

Sky sources understand a bid of £20m has been made for Berahino, who has one year remaining on his current contract with the Baggies but turned down the offer of a new four-year deal last week.

Last summer, Berahino threatened to "never play [for] Peace" again after a move to Tottenham broke down.

Berahino started as West Brom lost 2-1 to French champions Paris Saint-Germain on Wednesday in their final pre-season game of their tour of Austria and then scored two goals in a friendly against Kidderminster on Saturday.

Van Persie scored 16 times for Fenerbahce last season but has been linked to several Premier League clubs.

Hughes said: "We've seen the speculation and there are going to be a lot of those stories. Some will have a little bit of substance and some won't.

"We're looking to address key areas in the team that we feel we can improve on and if those players become available then we're interested."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Liverpool midfielder Joe Allen is set for a medical at Stoke City on Monday.

Allen has struggled to hold down a first-team place under Jurgen Klopp, and was reportedly told that he was being made available for transfer.

Former club Swansea had been the favourites to sign Allen, but Stoke’s £13m offer was accepted by Liverpool.

Allen will now travel to Stoke for a medical ahead of completing a move.

Brought to Liverpool by Brendan Rodgers, Allen became a poster boy for the club’s unsuccessful overspending, and made a hostage to fortune by Rodgers referring to Allen as his “Welsh Xavi”.

Although Allen failed to make an impact at Anfield, his excellent form during Euro 2016 means that Liverpool will make profit on his sale.

As a snidey aside, the Daily Star headline to Allen’s medical is ‘Medical happening today: Star poised to complete Liverpool transfer’. Naughty.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke City forward Marko Arnautovic has signed a new four-year contract with the Premier League club.

The 27-year-old Austria international, who has made 110 appearances for the Potters, was their top scorer in the 2015-16 season with 12 goals.

Arnautovic had been linked with a move to Everton.

He joined Stoke for an undisclosed fee from Werder Bremen in September 2013 - one of Mark Hughes' first signings as the club's boss.

Want a reason why you don't believe what you read in the papers that Everton link was in yesterdays papers just hours before a new deal was announced

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke manager Mark Hughes says on-loan striker Wilfried Bony has a clause in his contract allowing him to be sold to Chinese Super League clubs in January.

However, Hughes expects the 27-year-old, who joined the club on a season-long deal from Manchester City in the summer, to stay with the Potters.

"I think that may well be true," said Hughes when asked about the clause.

"A lot of things have come to the fore to make that happen, not least that Wilf needs to want to go himself."

He added: "I don't think he will want to. I think he sees himself very much as a Premier League player this year and in the years to follow."

Bony's two goals for Stoke in 10 appearances so far this season came in a win over his former club Swansea.

Hughes also confirmed the Potters do not have a set fee agreed with City to sign the Ivory Coast international on a permanent basis as part of the loan deal.

"Sometimes you can do that but that's clearly not what Manchester City wanted," said the 53-year-old Welshman.

"We're delighted that he's here until the end of the season in our view. We'll look at it again."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Middlesbrough remain optimistic about their chances of securing Bojan Krkic in an £8m transfer from Stoke City by the end of the month.

Although Mark Hughes stated on Friday that he does not want to sell a creator disillusioned by a lack of first-team football in the Potteries, Stoke’s manager is believed to be willing to do a deal should he secure his own preferred transfer targets. Much may depend on whether Hughes succeeds in signing Saido Berahino from West Bromwich Albion.

Bojan is unlikely to be part of the Stoke squad that travels to Sunderland ahead of the Premier League game at the Stadium of Light on Saturday. That absence is apparently because of a hip problem but may encourage Aitor Karanka in his pursuit of the former Barcelona attacker.

Middlesbrough’s manager is attracted by Bojan’s ability to play on both flanks and through the middle.

Karanka, who is also a big admirer of Hull City’s Robert Snodgrass and retains a real interest in the Scotland winger, believes he can return Bojan, still only 26, to former glories after his failure to properly recover his old form in the wake of a serious knee injury sustained early in 2015.

It is understood that there are no offers for Stewart Downing although the Crystal Palace manager, Sam Allardyce, has expressed an interest in signing the former England winger. That could rest on whether they complete a £12m move for Leicester City’s Jeffrey Schlupp, although Karanka is prepared to let Downing leave this month.

Since recovering full fitness last season Bojan has failed to force his way back into Hughes’s starting XI on a consistent basis, is unhappy to have been reduced to a bit-part role and is believed to be keen on the prospect of working with Karanka on Teesside.

Hughes, meanwhile, said talks have reopened with West Brom in an attempt to finally thrash out a deal for Saido Berahino. Stoke have shown interest in Berahino in the past two transfer windows and the manager is keen to end his protracted chase for the striker by reaching an agreement with the Baggies this month.

The 23-year-old has been offered a new contract by West Brom, even though he has failed to make a first-team appearance since September, with the club keen to protect one of their prized assets. But Hughes has resumed negotiations and is seeking an indication over the amount of money it would take to prise Berahino away from The Hawthorns.

“I’m not sure where we are with Saido Berahino,” Hughes said. “We are probably getting to the point where we need to make a decision one way or another.

“I am hopeful that we will be able to get something done. We are interested in him, as a number of other clubs are, but nothing has moved forward from last week. We are still waiting for the player’s club to give us an indication.

“I think we are looking at players who we feel can improve us, not only short-term but long-term too, and we have taken that into consideration with this deal. It is out of our hands unfortunately, but we are ready to discuss the situation and see where it progresses.

“It has been long-winded, and sometimes you lose some enthusiasm when that happens, but I have learned over the years that you have to be patient. We have been looking for a striker who can score 20-plus goals for some time now. They are a little bit scarce on the ground and you have to work hard to get them over the line.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:40 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Saido Berahino served an eight-week suspension before leaving West Brom, Stoke City boss Mark Hughes has said.

His comments follow newspaper reports the striker was banned after failing an out-of-competition drugs test.

Hughes said the 23-year-old, who joined the Potters for £12m in January, was banned for a "Football Association disciplinary matter".

The Welshman said he saw no reason for Berahino not to face his former club at the Hawthorns on Saturday.

Hughes, 53, said the forward had "issues at his previous club for 18 months", adding: "We were aware of that before we signed him.

"As with all players, we did our research on him before we signed him, but that didn't change our thinking at all.

"In terms of more detail, you would probably need to refer back to his former club, West Brom. We are pleased with what he is producing and he is looking forward to the game tomorrow.

"Why wouldn't I play him?" added Hughes. "He is in line to be involved."

West Brom boss Tony Pulis confirmed Berahino served a ban, but would not comment on why.

"He didn't play for me because he wasn't fit enough," added Pulis. "This football club looked after Saido very well while he was here. The club looks after all the players.

"Saido was one of the main reasons this club stayed in the Premier League two seasons ago. In his own mind he wanted to move."

The FA said it does not comment on issues regarding doping violations unless they breach the World Anti-Doping Agency code.

I imagine months of Pulis shouting Saido Saido Saido constantly at you while you try to play football would turn a man to drugs :laugh:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom boss Tony Pulis says he does not "give a damn" about Saido Berahino's future because the Stoke City striker is no longer his problem.

Potters boss Mark Hughes confirmed Berahino, who joined the Potters in January, had served an eight-week suspension when he was at West Brom.

His comments follow newspaper reports Berahino was banned after failing an out-of-competition drugs test.

"Anything Stoke asked for, we told them the truth," Pulis told BBC WM Sport.

"We never picked him again because his fitness levels, mental levels, were never what we wanted.

"This club has been absolutely fantastic towards Saido. The way it's protected him, the way it's looked after him. He should be really, really grateful."

The 23-year-old is set to return to the Hawthorns with Stoke in the Premier League on Saturday.

Asked whether Hughes was the man to help Berahino, Pulis said: "Personally, I don't give a damn now.

"I've spent two and a half years at this club and he's not my problem anymore. I wish him all the best."

Pulis would not comment on the nature of the ban because it was a "personal issue", but he said Berahino never returned to the form he produced before West Brom rejected a bid from Tottenham for the striker in August 2015.

"Saido was very good the first six months I was at this club," said the Welshman. "He didn't go to Tottenham, and from that point on it's been a real struggle in every way, shape and form."

BBC Sport contacted Berahino's representative for comment, but has received no reply. The FA does not comment on its social drugs policy regulations.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:54 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Pulis seems extremely bitter about Berahino. As I understood some rumours Saido wouldn't sign to Pulis' agent (similar to Ravel and Big Sam) and Peace wanted all money upfront from Tottenham, not £25M over 5 years like they offered. I hope Hughes trusts the kid and helps him get back on track. Until his falling out with Peace he seemed a very level headed and hard working guy!

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

the nut's named eric wrote:
Pulis seems extremely bitter about Berahino. As I understood some rumours Saido wouldn't sign to Pulis' agent (similar to Ravel and Big Sam) and Peace wanted all money upfront from Tottenham, not £25M over 5 years like they offered. I hope Hughes trusts the kid and helps him get back on track. Until his falling out with Peace he seemed a very level headed and hard working guy!

All I know is Berahino has the same agent as Sterling and I think said agent tried to use the same tricks that Sterling used to get his move to City and he's hard to deal with. Spurs didn't pony up the cash that WBA wanted in the way City eventually did and Peace kind of wanted to send a f*ck you message to him and his agent so he wasn't willing to budge on his price.

The aftermath of that appears to be a player who'd burned all his bridges with his current club and maybe wasn't fully focused no his football for a while.

Assuming this rumour is true and it appears that it is then WBA did right by him and kept it quiet to protect the player but you wouldn't be surprised if the person who leaked that story to the press was close to Pulis/Peace.

You wouldn't be surprised if that was the case though regarding agents that old school of British managers all use those tricks it's partly done to keep complete control over players as the agent isn't going to take players away from a manager he also represents behind his back but it's mainly done to help the agent make money and you can almost guarantee that some of that money makes it's way back to the manager down the line.

I hope Berahino gets himself back on track he looked a very talented young player in his breakthrough season a new club and a fresh start might do him some good.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9