AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:10 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stoke: Hairy Potters
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke boss Mark Hughes is hoping to sign striker John Guidetti on loan from Manchester City until the end of the season.

Swedish star Guidetti, 21, has played just once for City, in the Capital One Cup, though he has suffered with illness and injuries.

Hughes saw his team lose 5-3 at home to Liverpool on Sunday, the most goals they have scored in a Premier League game since 2004.

But Hughes - who remembers Guidetti from his time as City boss - wants more options up front for the remainder of the season.

"If we can get him in, he's a player that can add to what we have got and we are trying to add different options to our attack," he told the Sentinel.

"He's a natural goalscorer and if we can get him into the right areas, he will take chances.

"He was there (City) as a young player and worked with our under-21 coach Glynn Hodges when he was also there, so we know him."

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke City have confirmed the signing of United States international Juan Agudelo but were forced to send him on loan to FC Utrecht after failing to obtain a work permit for the striker.

The striker, who has 17 caps, signed from Major League Soccer side New England Revolution on a free transfer.

But the Premier League club's November bid for a work permit was rejected, and they cannot reapply until March.

Quote:
Who is Juan Agudelo?
•Born on 23 November 1992 in Colombia before moving to the US aged eight
•Came through the New York Red Bulls academy, signed first professional contract in 2010
•Made international debut for US in 2010. Has picked up 17 caps and scored two goals
•Joined Chivas USA in 2012
•Moved to New England Revolution in 2013

They have sent Agudelo, 21, to the Dutch club until a second bid is made.

"We were surprised and bitterly disappointed when our application for a work permit was rejected by the appeals panel - as were many other people in the game," said chief executive Tony Scholes.

"It's still our view that Juan is a great talent and is a player that [manager] Mark Hughes would like to join our squad. We have therefore decided that we are going to reapply for a work permit at the earliest opportunity."

Stoke have already signed a striker in the January transfer window with the acquisition of John Guidetti, 21, on loan from Manchester City for the rest of the season.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Odemwinge in from Cardiff with Kenweyne Jones going the other way.

Also reports Stoke are the front runner for Tom Ince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke City chairman Peter Coates has described the FA's decision to charge midfielder Charlie Adam as "appalling".

The 28-year-old has been charged by English football's governing body for stamping on Olivier Giroud during the Potters' 1-0 win against Arsenal at the Britannia Stadium in the Premier League on Saturday.

The incident was not seen by official Mike Jones and his assistants, but it has now been reviewed by a panel of three former referees.

Adam has until 6pm on Tuesday to appeal against the charge, and club chairman Coates insists that they will do so "vigorously".

"We feel this is trial by media," fumed Coates. "We are disgusted.

"We have seen some of the things that have gone on in recent weeks and no one has been called to account.

"Charlie absolutely assures us it was not intentional. We will defend it vigorously. It is appalling."

Adam's previous track record for clumsy dangerous tackles will count against him and so it should on this occasion I'm not sure if he meant it he didn't look down to make sure he got Giroud and he certainly didn't stamp down on him but I think there is a case to be heard but his track record makes you think he probably knew what he was doing.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Croatia striker Ivica Olic has confirmed that joining Stoke City this summer is his 'first choice'.

Olic claimed last month that Stoke had made him an offer to join this summer and City boss Mark Hughes confirmed his interest in the experienced marksman.

Now the 34-year-old, who is out of contract with German club Wolfsburg at the end of the season, has confirmed that he is hopeful of finalising a move to the Britannia Stadium.

The former Bayern Munich man has been linked with big-money moves to America and Asia, but he says a chance to play in the Premier League is too good to turn down, although he added that no deal has yet been agreed with Stoke.

"There are many rumours about my future. The press are talking about me moving to United States, to Qatar, but Stoke City remains my first choice," he confirmed to Jutarnji List.

"They are very serious and it would be really nice to play against Manchester United, Liverpool and other great English clubs.

"But nothing is signed yet so anything can happen. I also have some offers from Germany, even my former club Hamburg wants me. Never say never, right now the only thing I can say is that I will make my decision this month."

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic has played down speculation linking him with a move to Real Madrid.

Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti twice tried to sign Begovic whilst in charge at Chelsea and, with Diego Lopez possibly on the way out of Real this summer, it has been reported he may make another move for the Bosnian this summer.

Begovic, however, has received no contact from the Spanish giants.

He told The Sentinel: "I'm proud to read that sort of stuff, but it's just rumours.

"There's nothing official or any contact with anyone from Madrid.

"It's extraordinary, brilliant, to be linked with a club like that, one of the biggest in the world.

"I'm very happy at Stoke and I have an excellent position here. I only think about my club.

"If you come to me with more than speculation then I'll give you more specific answers in the future."

Always thought he's a safe pair of hands but nothing particularly special doesn't make many mistakes but doesn't make many outstanding saves just a solid reliable goal keeper.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ivica Olic has revealed that Mark Hughes has assured him that Stoke City no longer play a 'long-ball' game.

The Croatian has emerged as one of Hughes' top transfer targets for the summer, and he could move to the Britannia Stadium on a free transfer.

The 34-year-old has never hidden his desire to play in England, but admits current club Wolfsburg are also fighting hard to tie him down to a new deal.

Olic, though, has admitted that he did seek assurance from Hughes about their style of play.

"When I was talking with Hughes, I told him; 'My neck will hurt with your long balls, who on earth is going to catch them all'," he told Jutarnji List.

"He said to me: 'We don't play like that anymore, we want to play a European style of football'. That's okay for me but so far I have not yet decided.

"I would like to feel the atmosphere of Old Trafford and Anfield but at Wolfsburg they are insisting that I should stay. So that is still possible outcome."

Olic has been in impressive form for Wolfsburg since joining in 2012, scoring nine goals in his first season, which he has already managed to equal this term.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:53 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke have confirmed the signing of defender Phil Bardsley from Sunderland on a three-year deal.

Bardsley decided not to extend his lengthy Black Cats stay and will officially join the Potters on July 1 after his deal expires at the Stadium of Light.

The full-back has been at Sunderland since 2008, moving to Wearside from Manchester United, and finishes with 200 appearances and 11 goals.

He ended a difficult final season at the club on a high after playing his part in a dramatic escape from relegation.

Paolo Di Canio had frozen out the defender during his spell in charge, but he was recalled by the Italian's successor Gus Poyet and repaid his faith in the closing months.

The 28-year-old was a regular in the side as Sunderland mounted a late survival push, eventually finishing in 14th place, four points clear of the drop-zone.

Poyet re-opened contract talks with Bardsley in a bid to keep one of his experienced performers, but he will link up with Stoke boss Mark Hughes later in the summer.

Reflecting on his first summer signing, the Welshman told Stoke's official website: "I'm really pleased to bring Phil in to the club.

"He's a player of great Premier League experience who I think will bring added quality to the squad.

"He has plenty of qualities that will improve us and help move the football club forward to where we want to be.

"Phil was genuinely excited to join and I'm delighted to bring him in as his personality and desire will shine in the dressing room."

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 12:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Marko Arnautovic has reiterated his desire to remain at Stoke City as speculation once again links him with a summer exit.

The 25-year-old only arrived in English football last summer, with Mark Hughes prepared to take a gamble on a player who had lost his way at Inter Milan and Werder Bremen.

The Austrian forward settled quickly in the Premier League and has become an important part of Stoke’s new attacking philosophy.

His efforts have not gone unnoticed, though, with it suggested that he could soon be on his way to another European heavyweight.

The likes of Tottenham Hotspur, Liverpool, Newcastle United and AC Milan have all been linked with an approach but Arnautovic is feeling settled at the Britannia Stadium and says he is in no rush to take on a new challenge.

He told The Sentinel while away on international duty: “It’s just paper talk.

“The season was good and now it’s over. I do not need to think about my future at the moment because it continues at Stoke.

“The important thing for me at the moment is to focus on the next few days with Austria, give everything, and then I can take a break.”

Arnautovic, who has now graced the top tiers in Holland, Italy, Germany and England, added: “The Premier League is clearly the strongest league in the world.”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke have signed Hannover's former Manchester United striker Mame Biram Diouf and Banska Bystrica defender Dionatan Teixeira.

Senegal forward Diouf, 26, has agreed a four-year deal and will join on a free transfer when his Hannover contract expires on 1 July.

The Potters have paid an undisclosed fee for Slovakia under-21 centre-back Teixeira, 21, who was born in Brazil.

Stoke have already signed Phil Bardsley and Steve Sidwell this summer.

Diouf joined Manchester United from Molde in 2009 and had a loan spell at Blackburn before moving to Hannover in 2012 and going on to score 26 goals in 57 Bundesliga appearances.

He managed one goal in five substitute appearances in the Premier League for United and scored three goals in 27 matches for Blackburn in the 2010-11 season.

Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes said: "Mark Hughes has wanted to sign Mame since he took over as manager last year.

"He has been a tremendous success in Germany as his record underlines and he is keen to return to England make an impact in the Premier League.

"We're pleased to be able to give him the platform to hopefully achieve that ambition."

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Liverpool's asking price for winger Oussama Assaidi is still above Stoke's valuation of the player, says Potters chief executive Tony Scholes.

The Reds are understood to have asked £7m for the 25-year-old, who scored four goals in 24 appearances after spending last season on loan at Stoke.

"Everything points to it being a good match for both the club and the player," Scholes told BBC Radio Stoke.

"But, at the moment, the prices we are being quoted are just wrong."

The Morocco international joined Liverpool from Dutch side Heerenveen in 2012 but made just four substitute appearances in the Premier League for the Reds before moving to Stoke last August.

"As the chairman and the manager have already said, he's a player we like," added Scholes.

"He did very well last year and settled in."

Stoke have so far signed four players this summer: Sunderland defender Phil Bardsley, Fulham midfielder Steve Sidwell, Hannover striker Mame Biram Diouf and another defender, Dionatan Teixeira, from Slovakian side Banska Bystrica.

The Potters are also confident of retaining the services of Steven N'Zonzi next season - despite reports saying that the 25-year-old French midfielder, whom they signed from Blackburn Rovers two years ago - is unsettled.

"Steven's a very good player," said Scholes.

"Particularly in the last few months of last season, he did exceptionally well. He's not a player we want to lose. We hope there's a positive outcome."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sitting in the canteen at Stoke City’s training ground, Bojan Krkic’s eyes light up as he thinks back to his cameo in an epoch-defining clásico and what is widely regarded as one of the most complete team performances of all time. Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona were leading 4-0 against Real Madrid at the Camp Nou, revelling in passing their bitter rivals to death, when Krkic, a 20-year-old substitute, replaced David Villa and quickly made his mark.

“I assisted the fifth goal,” Krkic says, replaying the memory of the cross he delivered for Jeffrén Suárez to convert for a Barcelona side in their pomp. “It was incredible how this team used to play football. The players used to have a lot of confidence, things simply worked themselves. I also played when we won in Madrid 6-2 [in May 2009]. We played a lot of games that were perfect. We played at a very high level for two or three years. But definitely that was the perfect game, because we won 5-0 against Real Madrid.”

That was the back end of November 2010. Four years on and Krkic is preparing for Burnley’s visit to the Britannia Stadium on Saturday. Two famous English clubs – founder members of the Football League no less – but el clásico it is not. Indeed there is something surreal about listening to Krkic talking about the good weather in the Potteries in recent weeks and how life at Stoke is “more tranquil” than Barcelona.

It is a conversation that would have been unimaginable not so long ago, when Krkic was the boy who had it all. Schooled at Barcelona’s La Masia academy from the age of eight, he was the classic child prodigy. Krkic scored a staggering 895 goals in the club’s junior ranks, played for Spain Under-21s at the age of 16 and racked up 50 appearances for Barcelona before he was old enough to drink sangria.

Records tumbled. Against Villarreal in October 2007, Krkic supplanted Lionel Messi as Barcelona’s youngest scorer in La Liga, aged 17 years and 53 days. Not long afterwards Krkic became the first player born in the 1990s to score in the Champions League. Krkic finished that season, in 2007-08, scoring 12 goals – including the winner in the Champions League quarter-final first leg against Schalke – and with five assists to his name.

The hype went into overdrive. Krkic smiles at how one newspaper mocked him up in a cape with a “B” on his chest. “Yes, yes, yes, I remember,” he says, laughing. Frank Rijkaard, Barcelona’s coach at the time, described the teenager as a “treasure”.

There were inevitable comparisons with Messi. Others drew parallels with Raúl. Spain and Serbia – the birthplace of his father – fought over him. Everything was happening in a blur and it is only now, after swapping Barcelona for Stoke in the summer, following spells with Roma, Milan and Ajax, that Krkic can step back and try to make sense of it all.

“When you are 17, you don’t know what pressure is, because you play with the best team in big stadiums with big players. But when I look back now, it’s difficult for a 17-year-old person to get by and deal with the whole situation,” Krkic says. “My friends were at school and it was very complicated everywhere I went with them. It changed my life overnight. Going through the streets, fans were running to me.”

Krkic nods when asked whether life in England is easier. “Yeah. I remember when Thierry Henry came to Barcelona, after 10 days he was like: ‘Wow!’ He played here, in England, a long time. He said in England it was easy, the people never came to the training ground and the journalists visited once a week. At Barcelona it’s completely different. There are 5,000 people at training every day, journalists there every day.

“I love the passion at Barcelona, but I like it here. In Spain, people do not respect the players, the same in Italy. In England, it looks like a different world – the people admire the player, but also respect the player.”

Barcelona will always have a special place in Krkic’s heart and he sounds genuine when he insists that he has no regrets about his time there. Yet listening to Krkic rowing back over the four seasons he spent in and around the first-team, a picture emerges of a club where the pressure and expectation is close to intolerable at times, in particular for a local boy. “When you play with a big club, you need to get results every single day, even more when a homegrown player goes into the first team. It’s not easy,” Krkic says.

It is tempting to wonder whether Krkic lived the dream at Barcelona but lost his childhood in the process. “That’s a good question,” he says. “This is one of the things that I am more sensitive about and that touched me the most, because I am a family person. There are many moments that I haven’t had the chance to enjoy with my family and also with my friends. But thanks to football I’ve been able to enjoy some other things.”

Wearing the famous colours of the club he grew up supporting, being idolised by the fans – “They loved me and that helped a lot” – and playing alongside some of the greatest names in world football in what Krkic describes as “one of the golden ages for Barcelona” is about as good as it gets.

Except everyone hoped for more when it came to Krkic, especially after that explosive breakthrough season. Looking back, there were signs that all was not well towards the end of that campaign, when Krkic asked not to be taken to the 2008 European Championship, saying he was “physically and emotionally shattered”. Krkic won his first Spain cap the following September, just after his 18th birthday, but he has never played for his country since. Some wondered whether he could cope with the pressure bestowed on him at Barcelona, others questioned if he had that ruthless edge needed to succeed at the top. Was he good enough?

As for Krkic, his own explanation leaves the impression that life at Barcelona was never quite the same for him once Guardiola took over. “When you are a football player, you depend … my first year I had Rijkaard, he gave me the chance to play with the first team and to continue. Also, I played well and scored, so that year was important for me. In the second year, they changed the trainers [Guardiola was appointed], and the chances and opportunities were different. It was something else that I learned in my life. I stayed for a further three years, there were moments when I was a very important player for the team and I always gave my best every day.”

Krkic, who is speaking through a translator but confident enough to answer some questions in English, comes across as a likeable guy and one of those players who probably benefits from an arm around the shoulder at times. He has certainly warmed to the way that Mark Hughes manages the players at Stoke. “One thing that I like from a coach is that they don’t put up too big a distance between the player and the trainer,” Krkic says. “He [Hughes] is very close to us and that’s why I like him.”

Adapting to life at Stoke has not been seamless. Krkic soon discovered he needed to find another route to the training ground from his home near Manchester. “The M6 every day is traffic,” he says, smiling – and it is only in the last couple of matches that he has hit form on the pitch, culminating in his first Premier League goal, a fine strike in the 2-1 win at Tottenham Hotspur before the international break. “The more you play, you get a better rhythm and play better,” he says.

It will be fascinating to see how Krkic fares at Stoke and it is worth remembering that, for all the talk about what might have been, he only turned 24 in August.

While there is no escaping the fact that the last three seasons, spent with Roma, Milan and Ajax, were a big disappointment, Krkic’s record at Barcelona needs to be put into some sort of context. He scored 41 goals in 163 games for the club, before the age of 21 and at a time when he was competing for a place up front alongside Ronaldinho, Messi, Henry, Samuel Eto’o, Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Villa.

It is, perhaps, an achievement that is easy to overlook. “I agree. But it’s something that does not depend on me,” Krkic says.“I feel all that I have done so far … I know it, I know how much it cost me, so that’s why I feel proud. And that’s what gives me the strength to continue.”

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Mark Hughes admits he is concerned for Bojan Krkic after the Stoke forward came off injured having gone down in agony unchallenged in the 4-1 FA Cup win at Rochdale.

The 24-year-old, who has now scored five goals since his move from Barcelona, hammered a left-foot-volley past Josh Lillis from 20 yards to set Stoke on their way to the fifth round.

But soon after, the in-form forward hobbled off with a knee injury and Hughes hopes the Spaniard, who has been in fine form of late, is not out for a long time.

"There is a concern there for us," Hughes said. "We don't know how bad it is. He has gone back home and we will check him in the morning. He is due for a scan so hopefully he will be okay.

"Hopefully if the scan is clear he will be okay and it is just a short-term thing but at the moment it's a concern for us.

"[Bojan's goal] was fantastic. He showed his qualities once again and it will be disappointing if we lose him for any length of time, but if you do others have to step up to the mark."

Hughes is relishing a trip to his former club Blackburn in the fifth round, where he managed from 2004 and 2008.

"It will be good to go back. I have good memories of my time there and there are lots of people I know still there."

Rochdale manager Keith Hill admits Stoke were too good for his side, despite a fighting display in spells.

Hill said: "We tried to attack with intent and press the opposition but they are an excellent side.

"The game is marginal no matter where you stand in the pyramid. Fair play to Stoke, they were worthy winners in the end."

I was convinced Bojan would flop but he's done really well and seems to have settled in and bought in to the way way a Hughes team plays which is fast in your face footbal he obviously provides the bit of flair rather than the work rate of say a Walters but he's contributing a lot more than I thought he would

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
England Under-21 captain Jack Butland has signed a new contract with Stoke City in a deal that will keep him at the club until the summer of 2019.

The 22-year-old keeper has made just seven appearances for the Potters.

This week England boss Roy Hodgson said Butland was his third-choice keeper.

"He's a player that [Stoke manager] Mark Hughes holds in very high regard and Roy Hodgson's decision underlines his standing in the English game," said Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes.

"There's genuine competition for the goalkeeping spot at the club with Asmir Begovic, Jack and Thomas Sorensen and Jack has made no secret of his desire to be our number one."

Butland, who joined Stoke in a £3.5m deal from Birmingham as a 19-year-old, has had loan spells at Championship clubs Barnsley, Leeds United and Derby County over the past two seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes is confident the club can keep hold of Asmir Begovic as the goalkeeper approaches the final year of his contract.

The Bosnia international has been linked with a move to Manchester United and Real Madrid, but Scholes believes his club can match the 27-year-old's ambitions.

"Clearly Asmir is a terrific goalkeeper and we are very keen to keep him at the club," he told the Sentinel newspaper.

"I think when you've got extremely good players it is only natural that there will be speculation about their future. These players are also very ambitious and I include Asmir in that.

"He wants to make sure he can play at the very best levels his abilities will enable him to and to have a very good and successful career in the game. We hope that we can fulfil all of those things at Stoke City."

Begovic's deputy Jack Butland recently extended his contract until 2019 while manager Mark Hughes also agreed new terms on an extension and Scholes believes those deals show how the club are planning for the future.

"If you look at the deals we have done since Mark Hughes arrived then almost without exception they have been good deals and very good footballers," he said.

"It's about making sure you are adding to the quality and improving all of the time, but we have also got a strong eye on making sure that we have got a depth of squad.

"We have to make sure that when we have injuries to the incredible scale we have had this year that the players are able to come in and do a good job - and the players who have come in this season have done an exceptional job.

"You also have to make sure that you are planning for next year and the years beyond.”

Earlier this week Stoke chairman Peter Coates told Sky Sports News HQ the club plan to offer new deals to Begovic, Steven N’Zonzi and look to sign Victor Moses on a permanent deal from Chelsea.

Think he's a good keeper he's obviously a good shot stopper (they all are) but he dominates his box better than most the only thing he's maybe a bit weak on is his kicking as at top sides he'd have to deal with a lot more back passes.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Stoke are on the verge of signing Shaqiri.

How the hell has that happened?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Stoke are on the verge of signing Shaqiri.

How the hell has that happened?

He's struggled since he went in January after a bright start but for 12m euro I think clubs like Southampton, Swansea,Spurs, Everton even Liverpool & Utd might be missing a trick with him.

Probably wants a lot of assurances over first team football and he'll be on big wages but he's a great pick up for Stoke a front 3 with Shaqiri & Bojan in it will be pretty exciting to watch next season.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Steven Nzonzi is in talks with Sevilla after Stoke accepted a bid of £7million for the midfielder.

An offer of £3m was rejected last month, while Stoke's chief executive Tony Scholes said at the time he hoped Nzonzi would sign a new deal.

But Mark Hughes has now confirmed Nzonzi, who is in the final year of his current contract, is talking terms with the Spanish side.

"It's been well documented there's been interest from Sevilla," Hughes said. "We've got to a point where the club is comfortable with the deal Sevilla have come up with, so we've given Steven permission to speak with them.

"It's not concluded yet - as we know with these things, it can fall down at the last minute. We worked really hard to convince Steven his future lay here - it didn't seem to be enough."

Sky sources understand the proposed fee is £7m, which is double the initial price Stoke paid Blackburn for Nzonzi on transfer deadline day in September 2012.

The 26-year-old has since made more than 100 Premier League appearances for City, scoring six goals.

Stoke, meanwhile, are continuing to pursue a deal for Xherdan Shaqiri, the Switzerland midfielder who left Bayern Munich for Inter in January.

A fee of £12m has been agreed, Sky sources say,and City are waiting for the 23-year-old to decide on a move.

Hughes said: "Some happen quickly, some take a bit more time. The key word is patience - you can't give up on things until they've run their course."

Goalkeeper Asmir Begovic is no closer to leaving the Britannia, according to Hughes, who expects the player to join the pre-season tour of Singapore at the weekend.

He said: "There've been discussions, but we're in the same place we were a couple of days ago, He's due to fly out on Saturday."

I think for £7m Sevilla are getting a good player and Stoke will miss him

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke City have signed teenage winger Moha El Ouriachi from Barcelona.

The 19-year-old, who rejected a new contract at the Nou Camp, has joined the Potters squad for their matches in the Asia Trophy in Singapore.

El Ouriachi, who links up with ex-Barca players Bojan and Marc Muniesa, played for Spain at youth level but has also been selected by Morocco Under-23s.

"Moha's excited about joining a Premier League club," said Stoke chief executive Tony Scholes.

"He has seen the progress made by Bojan and Marc and wants to try to do likewise."

Stoke have not revealed the fee they have paid for El Ouriachi, or his contract length.

The Potters, who finished ninth in the Premier League last season, have now made seven summer signings.

El Ouriachi joins striker Joselu, goalkeepers Shay Given and Jakob Haugaard, defenders Glen Johnson and Philipp Wollscheid plus midfielder Marco van Ginkel in joining the club.

I'm surprised that Stoke haven't been linked to Charlie Austin they might be scaling back the transfer spending or Austin might be reluctant to move up north as he's a south coast boy but I think he'd be a great signing for a club like Stoke.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke are on the verge of signing former Barcelona winger and Netherlands international Ibrahim Afellay, who Sky sources understand is having a medical with the club.

The 29-year-old left the Nou Camp in the summer after four and a half years contracted to the Spanish giants.

He struggled to hold down a place there and made just nine starts for the Catalans, spending last season on loan to Greek side Olympiakos following a previous temporary stay at Schalke.

Afellay – who has 50 caps for the Netherlands – left Barcelona when his contract expired so the PSV Eindhoven youth product is a free agent.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next