AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Stoke: Hairy Potters
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:47 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Rafa Benitez has switched his search for defensive reinforcements to Ryan Shawcross and is considering a £5million bid for the 21-year old Stoke centre-back.

Already linked with Hull central defender Michael Turner and Portsmouth's Sylvain Distin, the Liverpool manager's need for cover at the back became more urgent after Jamie Carragher limped off with an ankle injury against Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

He joined Martin Skrtel and Daniel Agger as doubts for next weekend's Barclays Premier League launch.

Shawcross is 6ft 5in and was snapped up from Manchester United 18 months ago, quickly proving his worth in Stoke's first Premier League campaign last season.

Carragher, meanwhile, will have a scan today and Benitez's assessment that there was an 80 per cent chance of at least two of his three injured central defenders being fit to face Tottenham at White Hart Line on Sunday.

Spanish youngsters Danny Ayala and Mikel San Jose, who went on for Carragher in the 16th minute, were pitched in against Atletico Madrid, but Liverpool need proven Premier League pedigree if they are to go one better than last season and finally carry off the title after a 20-year wait.

Benitez conceded he is working on on a limited budget and defended last week's £20million outlay on injury-prone Roma midfielder Alberto Aquilani, out for up to two months after ankle surgery.

'I know how easy it is to lose players to injury, and we do need cover,' he said, after seeing Sergio Aguero and Diego Forlan fire Atletico two goals up before the industrious Lucas pulled one back. 'I have some ideas and will discuss them with the club, but it depends on prices. If we need something, we will talk to the owners.

'Aquilani would have cost up to £30million normally, but we got him cheaper because of his operation. I have no worries about his fitness record. He was on the wrong end of a bad tackle, and that can happen to any player.

'The point is we have signed him for five years, not five games, and everyone I spoke to in Italy said he would be a fantastic player for us.'

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Stoke's Ryan Shawcross is a target for Liverpool boss Rafa
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:47 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

they want to be careful, Man City might try and sign him

Post subject: Shawcross race hots up
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:19 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Skysports.com understands Liverpool, West Ham and Fulham are all chasing Stoke City defender Ryan Shawcross.

The talented young centre-half excelled last season as Tony Pulis' side surprised everyone in comfortably establishing themselves as a Premier League outfit following promotion.

Key to their success was a water-tight defence, with Shawcross' assured displays having caught the eye consistently.

Liverpool are in the market for a central defender following Sami Hyypia's departure over the summer and are keen for a British alternative to Daniel Agger and Martin Skrtel alongside Jamie Carragher.

Hull City's Michael Turner is known to be a target but Rafa Benitez could instead opt for Shawcross given the Tigers' prohibitive valuation of their player.

Shawcross started his career at Manchester United before joining Stoke permanently in January 2008 following a productive loan spell at the Britannia Stadium.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
He's in my fantasy footie team as a cheap defender, hope he doesn't goto Liverpool as i'll have to swap him

Post subject: Re: Shawcross race hots up
PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I don't see why Rafa think's he'll get him any cheaper than Turner when Shawcross had arguably the better season. If Turner is worth £12m to Hull then Shawcross is worth the same to Stoke.

West Ham will only be interested if they lose Upson to City likewise Fulham if they lose Hangelaan but either way he wont be going cheap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:41 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
I really rated Shawcross when he was here with us. A no nonsense Vidic-esque defender.

Hope he doesn't go to the Scousers. :D

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:27 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross has rejected rumours linking him with a move away from the Britannia Stadium.

Liverpool and Shawcross' former club Manchester United have both been linked with the central defender in recent days as they look to bolster their defensive options.

Shawcross impressed last season for Stoke and he got his new campaign off to a flying start with a goal in Saturday's 2-0 win over Burnley.

The 21-year-old has brushed off the speculation over his future and insists he is happy at Stoke.

"It doesn't bother me. If you look in the papers, every day there's a different player linked to every club," Shawcross told the Stoke Sentinel.

"No one has made a bid and nothing has happened, so as far as I am concerned, I am a Stoke player and no one has told me differently.

"There's nothing going on. Someone has written something in the paper and then everyone has jumped on the bandwagon.

"It happens to a lot of players, but I am a Stoke player."

Shawcross also believes he owes Stoke a lot for taking a chance on him when signing him from Manchester United.

"The coaching staff there (at United) have made me who I am and I thank them wholeheartedly, but I also have to give a lot of thanks to Tony Pulis," added Shawcross.

"He took a risk on me. I was a nobody when he took me on board, and he has turned me into a Premier League player."

Potters chairman Peter Coates insists United have not made an approach for Shawcross after rumours intensified when Sir Alex Ferguson was spotted in the crowd at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday.

"They certainly haven't contacted me," said Coates. "And I'm sure they haven't made contact with anyone else."

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Stoke City Chairman Coates Denies Manchester United Approach For Ryan Shawcross

The 21-year-old's form is not going unnoticed...

Former Manchester United academy graduate Ryan Shawcross, who failed to feature in the Premier League for the Red Devils, mustering minimal League Cup appearances prior to being shipped off to Royal Antwerp on loan, showed last season that he is a burgeoning talent, but the reported interest from the title champions is just speculation - according to Stoke City chairman Peter Coates.

Sir Alex Ferguson was a conspicuous presence at Stoke's Britannia Stadium home on Saturday as he witnessed United's Wednesday opposition - Burnley - succumb to a 2-0 loss. However, his attendance prompted further conjecture that he was interested in re-signing Shawcross.

Ferguson is currently ruing a defensive crisis as he has a number of first-team members injured. Rio Ferdinand has sustained a thigh muscle strain and is not due to return until the end of the month, while Jonny Evans, Rafael da Silva, Gary Neville, and Nemanja Vidic are respectively nursing ankle knocks (two), a groin strain, and a calf muscle injury.

Stoke chairman Coates explained to The Sentinel that there has been no official interest in the club's star rear-guard commodity. "They [Manchester United] certainly haven’t contacted me.

"And I’m sure they haven’t made contact with anyone else [within the club," he concluded.

Shawcross has featured twice for England's Under-21 side. He will turn 22 in October.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Post subject: Shawcross 'Loves' Stoke
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Stoke defender Ryan Shawcross insists he is not concerned by speculation linking him with a move away from the club.

The centre-half has reportedly attracted interest from a number of the Premier League's top sides, with the Potters slapping a £20million valuation on his head.

Shawcross has started 17 league games this season and has made a number of eye-catching performances, scoring twice to help his team to a mid-table position.

The 22-year-old centre-back insists he is not worried by his reported price tag and says he is more than happy at the Britannia Stadium.

"I have signed a new four-and-a-half year deal (in November)," he told The Sentinel. "I am happy and the manager is happy.

"I am playing every week in a Premier League team and I have been made captain a couple of times. What more could I ask for?

"I'm loving it here and want to stay."

Stoke hung on to beat Fulham 3-2 in freezing conditions on Tuesday night to record their first home win in the league since November.

The Potters face a Burnley side at the weekend who will be under the guidance of first-team coach Steve Davis, but Shawcross insists Stoke are not worried about the managerial state of their opponents.

"That won't make any difference to us," he added. "We will approach the game being professionally and making sure we do the job.

"People think we won't win because Burnley are doing so well there (at Turf Moor), but we will go there as underdogs and hopefully get that win we need."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Shawcross 'Loves' Stoke
PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:19 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Good for him.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

STOKE boss Tony Pulis does not expect defender Ryan Shawcross to go back to Manchester United.

The centre-back has been an outstanding signing from the Red Devils and is in contention for a place in Fabio Capello's England party that he announces on Tuesday.

Pulis hands Shawcross the captain's armband against his former club on Sunday. But the Potters chief is convinced his defender has no desire to return to his first home.

United inserted a £12million buy-back clause into Shawcross' contract when they sold him to Stoke in January 2008.

But Pulis added: "If Manchester United come in for anybody, it's very difficult to stop players going there, that's a fact. You have to accept that.

"But the only thing I will say is Ryan's very happy here.

"He's signed a new contract, his wife's just had a baby and if you speak to him, I don't think he's been happier in his life.''

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Think he would be a decent replacement for vidic in terms of his heading and aggresive defensive style but I think we'd be better off letting him play at Stoke if we are interested long term.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 10:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

I kinda impress with him ... we can alwayz buy him back as Rio isnt fit all the time and Vidic is in circle of media ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Did you know that Manchester United sent their chief scout Jim Lawlor to watch Ryan Shawcross in Stoke's draw at Wigan on Saturday?

That's the word in the Daily Mirror with the paper moving on the story with a flat denial from Tony Pulis that the defender will be sold.

"We are under no pressure to sell and Ryan is somebody the chairman will not contemplate leaving.

"Ryan could not be happier here and we've also got him on a very good long-term contract. Obviously if we were offered ridiculous money then any club would have to look at it. But we've had no offers as yet and wouldn't welcome any.

"We see Ryan as a major part of our future. He's only progressed since coming here and is now the club captain."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Don't think there's anything is this one unless we've got a buy back clause which too my knowledge we don't. He's a good defender maybe a long term replacement for Vidic in terms of the aggression he brings but Stoke would want a fortune for him because he's English and because he's club captain.

If we had a buy back clause then it might be worth exploring but otherwise I'd keep away you can probably pick up as good a player at half the cost with a bit of scouting.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:37 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
We've got the first choice option, but not a buy back clause as in a set amount as far as I understand it. Like you say he'd cost a bomb (probably £10-15m) and why would he want to leave where he's developed very well and is club captain, to be sat on the bench with us? If he was looking at being first choice for us I'm sure he'd be interested but atm that isn't the case.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Serbinator wrote:
We've got the first choice option, but not a buy back clause as in a set amount as far as I understand it. Like you say he'd cost a bomb (probably £10-15m) and why would he want to leave where he's developed very well and is club captain, to be sat on the bench with us? If he was looking at being first choice for us I'm sure he'd be interested but atm that isn't the case.

Depends at Utd he'd have more chance of winning trophies, better chance of getting international recognition plus he'd earn more money sitting on our bench than captaining Stoke.

They'd want more than that mate you're forgetting the English mark up they'd try and get £15m + considering he's still quite young as well. He's a good defender but he's not great he's pretty much perfect for Stoke because he loves heading.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

TBH £15 million aint that big amount these dayz ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Post subject: Hairy Potters
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 12:31 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Tony Pulis is ready to make a £6million bid for Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge.

Stoke boss Pulis wants to offer Sturridge a fresh start at the Britannia Stadium and the lure of European football next season.

England under-21 international Sturridge was a huge success at Bolton last season after joining on loan in January.

Bolton are interested in taking him again but Pulis is prepared to table an offer to make the 21-year-old’s move permanent.

Pulis is desperate for quality additions this summer, with Stoke’s first Europa League game only a month away.

He said: “It’s going to be an active market and an expensive market this year.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Hairy Potters
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Stoke City captain Ryan Shawcross has said he has no intention of leaving the Britannia Stadium, despite speculation to the contrary.

The former Manchester United player, who has made 152 appearances for the Potters, has been linked with a move away from the Staffordshire club.

However, the centre-back, 23, distanced himself from the speculation and said that it is part of being a young English player in the Premier League.

“I suppose if you are linked with clubs it shows you are doing well,” the defender told theSentinel.

“But I am a Stoke player, I have signed a contract here and I am happy here.“The chairman has said the club aren't going to sell me. I don't want to leave and I am looking forward to the new season."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Hairy Potters
PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

As the headline above suggests, Stoke City have become the latest club to enter the bidding for Craig Bellamy.

'The Potters believe Mancini could grant him a free transfer - and are ready to pounce ahead of Everton, Blackburn and Sunderland,' reports The Sun.

'The Potters are in the Europa League and Pulis is ready to wait for Bellamy, believing his experience could be a potent weapon in the competition.'

On the other hand, The Guardian reckons:'The most likely outcome is that Bellamy, who spent last season on loan with Cardiff City, where he scored 11 goals in 36 appearances, will be allowed out on loan for another campaign. City, however, have no intention of sanctioning another deal where they cover the majority of the player's wages, which was the case with Cardiff.'

ImageImage
Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next