AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:15 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Stoke: Hairy Potters
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:02 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's a pretty modern thing to have new manager out campaigns before they've even taken over.

His agent must be a f*cking good salesman to keep getting him work though.

Will be interesting to see how he does as he can't have many chances left after this

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 9:40 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah that's why I think he's taken on a risky one..fair play to him in that sense.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:28 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hughes is a funny character the QPR players expected him to be a bit of a man motivator but what they found was a man who's a bit arrogant and never really wanted to be associated with the squad. Now as a player you can understand where that arrogance comes from he played for some of the biggest clubs in the world and he was an absolute b*stard to play against as he'd basically beat you up for 89 minutes then score a sublime overhead kick (in my head all his goals are acrobatic volleys).

As a manager I think he has the same arrogance and he doesn't seem to be able to get people to play for him, I remember when he quit Fulham he apparently thought he had a genuine shot at the Chelsea job or working abroad with another top European club but he wasn't close to any of these jobs and he ended up at QPR.

I can see why fans aren't over the moon with the appointment but who are the other serious alternatives that Stoke could get?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:57 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah I'd imagine options were limited..they'd probably have had to go a step down a poach a promising championship level manager. Or Martin Oneil maybe..though he wouldn't have done a lot better I don't think.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Fans don't really want to see the same old faces as the reason most of these managers are available is they've been sacked by other clubs because they've failed and I don't see many stand out candidates in the lower leagues. Who are the stand out young British coaches in the football league at the moment?

The 3 managers who got promoted from the Championship were british as was one of the playoff semi finalists in fact the two managers who get talked up most in that league Zola & Poyet both lost to the under dog in their playoff matches.

Teams are so sh*t scared of relegation these days that they tend not to take risks on managers from the lower leagues they either take someone who's living off a reputation that's 5 years old or go for a foreigner who's had some success in his domestic league.

Clubs need a manager that fits and while I don't particularly rate Hughes I think him and Stoke might be quite a nice fit as he can just go back to what he did best which was in your face aggresive football that he did at Blackburn.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:56 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Mark Hughes says criticism of his time at QPR will help motivate him to ensure he is a success as Stoke manager.

The Welshman, 49, has signed a three-year contract at Stoke just six months after being sacked by Rangers.

He endured a difficult 11-month spell at Loftus Road, winning only eight of 34 games in charge.

"I have listened to what people have said about me as a manager and will use that as motivation to do well for Stoke," he said.

"I've had something like 270 games as a Premier League manager, but people do tend to look at the last year or so.

"But I don't regret moving to QPR. A lot of managers have gone in there and found it difficult.

"It was tough, and mistakes were made. I made mistakes and other people made mistakes too.

"I was given the task of keeping them in the Premier League and thankfully I did that. Twelve games later though I lost my job, because we didn't get the results we wanted at that time.

"If I am honest, we all tried to run there before we could walk, and that was the mistake that we made."

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:55 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke have released seven players, including winger Jermaine Pennant and midfielder Dean Whitehead.

Pennant made just two appearances for the Potters last season and spent three months of the campaign on loan with Wolves, while Whitehead played 30 times but made only 12 starts in the Premier League.

Long-serving duo Rory Delap and Mamady Sidibe, who finished the season on loan at Barnsley and Tranmere respectively, also depart with their contracts at an end, as do goalkeeper Carlo Nash, defender Matthew Upson and midfielder Matthew Lund.

"The club would like to thank all the players for their contribution during their time with us and wish them all the very best for the future," read a statement on Stoke's official website.

Stoke also confirmed a string of backroom exits, with Dave Kemp, Mark O'Connor, Adrian Pennock, Paul Maxwell, Dave Kevan and Gerry Francis leaving their roles on the coaching staff.

Mark Hughes was last month appointed as the new manager at the Britannia Stadium, succeeding Tony Pulis.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
New Stoke City boss Mark Hughes has brought in Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki to his backroom team at the Britannia Stadium.

Bowen and Niedzwiecki, who have worked with the Potters boss at several previous clubs, have been appointed as assistant manager and first team coach, respectively.

The three men first worked together with Wales before stints at Blackburn Rovers, Manchester City, Fulham and Queens Park Rangers.

"They're the best at what they do in my opinion," Hughes told the club's official website.

"That is why they have worked alongside me for so long. They are both outstanding coaches, while they also have a real understanding of the game and how I like things to be.

"So that means when you go to a new club, you hit the ground running and everybody in the squad is up to speed.

"I'm pleased that they are joining us because I'm sure I will benefit from that and so too will Stoke City."

Chief executive Tony Scholes said: "Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki have been key members of Mark Hughes' backroom team for some time now and he was therefore eager to have them working with him once again here.

"They both have outstanding pedigree as coaches and we are delighted that they have now agreed to join Mark's new team."

Also, Pennant has agreed a 1 year deal to keep him at the club next season.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke have signed Spanish international under-21 defender Marc Muniesa from Barcelona on a free transfer.

Muniesa, 21, was part of the squad that won the European Under-21 Championship in June, and joins on a four-year deal.

He is new manager Mark Hughes' second signing of the summer following the arrival of Dutch international Erik Pieters from PSV Eindhoven last week.

"I'm very excited about moving to England and will do everything I can to help the club," said the defender.

Hughes' links with Barcelona, where he spent a season as player in the late 1980s, helped alert Stoke to the possibility of signing Muniesa.

Muniesa added: "It wasn't a big decision for me to make. I came to England yesterday to meet the people at the club and look around the training ground, which is very impressive.

"My season only finished a fortnight ago when the European Championship ended, but I can't wait to get started for Stoke. I would start tomorrow if the club asked me to."

Muniesa made his La Liga debut with Barca as a 17-year-old and was an unused substitute for the Champions League final success over Manchester United in 2009.

The 21-year-old, who can operate at left-back or in the heart of defence, was more recently a fixture in the Barcelona B team, although Stoke still had to fend off interest for Muniesa in Spain before completing the deal.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke City are offering supporters free coach travel to every one of their Premier League away games this season.

Beginning with the Potters' trip to Liverpool on the opening day of the campaign, coaches will take fans from the Britannia Stadium to each of their 19 away league fixtures free of charge.

The club are using the increase in TV revenue to fund the initiative.

"We're conscious that following football can be an expensive business," chief executive Tony Scholes said.

Stoke previously subsidised ticket prices for those travelling to an FA Cup quarter-final tie at Anfield, waiving their right to 45% of the away ticket sales so they could offer tickets to fans at £20 instead of £35.

"We work hard to try and provide our supporters with value for money, which is why we have not increased our ticket prices since being promoted to the Premier League in 2008," Scholes continued.

"However, we realise how expensive following the club away from home can be for supporters and we're delighted to be able to offer free coach travel and hope it encourages more of them to give us their fantastic backing away from home."

The new £3bn Premier League TV deal will see top-flight sides receive £55m a year, and even if a club is relegated, they will still receive parachute payments of around £60m.

I know Stoke are looking for a bit of good PR following the years of rough house hoof ball tactics that fans of all clubs including Stoke were getting bored of but that is a great move by Stoke how many other clubs have given something back to the fans now that they've all this extra money floating around?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:50 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
I agree, it's good of the club to give the fans something back by way of free travel. It could also benefit the club as it might increase their travelling supporter base, so it may prove a smart bit of business as well as a nice gesture.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'm sure I remember reading that away attendance are down across the board and it's the smaller teams who aren't selling out because it's the same faces who go away every game and the novelty of going to the more expensive grounds to see your team get beat every year has worn off. Paying £50 to go to Old Trafford/Anfield/Emirates/WHL etc is a lot of money so the free travel will be a huge bonus to the fans that can use it.

Good away support is very important in terms of atmopshere during the game as the home fans tend to react to the away fans.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke goalkeeper Asmir Begovic has confirmed he is staying at the club, while Jack Butland looks set to go out on loan.

After the Potters snapped up young England goalkeeper Butland, Begovic was thought to be on his way out of the club, with Liverpool, Arsenal and Manchester United interested.

However, as the transfer window has developed, any talk of the Bosnian stopper moving on has died down, which has allowed him to concentrate on getting ready for the new season.

"I always tried to stay focused and not concentrate on outside things," Begovic told The Sentinel.

"You never know for sure in football what can happen, of course, but as far as I am concerned, I am happy things are settled.

"I am happy to stay and I am not looking for a move. It's where I see my future."

Stoke chairman Peter Coates confirmed that there have been no bids for the 26-year-old, and indicated Butland may be loaned out to try and get him more regular first-team football.

"Begovic will be our goalkeeper at the start of the season," Coates told The Sun.

"And I would think we'd be definitely looking to get Jack Butland playing somewhere next season where we can improve his game."

Good news for Stoke as he's a safe pair of hands but Butland needs to go out on loan and play next season no point sitting on the bench being a number 2 when you could be playing even if it was back in the Championship.

Will be interesting to see what Stoke are like next season I don't recall them bringing in many new players

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

Bet Begovic was looking forward to a nice move to United or Arsenal, then De Gea hit the form of his life and... well Arsenal just seem to have lost interest.

Decent keeper is Begovic, could probably play for a team a bit higher up the league than Stoke TBH.

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 1:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'd be amazed if either club was ever really that interested anyway Liverpool were the only real option for him imo.

Everyone started bigging him up when Gary Neville did a mid season review on Sky and pointed out how good the Stoke defence had been up to Xmas (incidentaly they then went to complete sh*t) so everyone started going on about Begovic being this great keeper.

If Utd wanted him they would've moved before they signed DDG I don't think anyone at Utd has thought about dumping him they've got faith in that kid and to be fair at the end of his first season he'd started to show improvement and last season he made the PFA team of the year.

He's a decent keeper but I've not seen him do anything that makes me think this guy is amazing but then again I don't watch Stoke every week.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:09 pm 
Major General
Major General

Oh yeah, I doubt that we were ever seriously interested in him. I do think he could play for a top 6 team though, IMO he's comparable to Howard, Mignolet, and Szczesney.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:44 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'd say he's pretty comparable to any keeper in the league I don't see a stand out goal keeper at the moment in the league there isn't 1 imo who has all attributes Shot stopping, distribution & dominating on crosses. All of them these days are quality shot stoppers thats the bread and butter for a keeper Ben Foster was a great shot stopper at Utd but he needed 3 touches to control a backpass. Reina could spray the ball around all over the place but put the ball up in the air and he was always a bit panicky same way DDG is at the moment although he's gradually improving that part of his game. Cech is probably the closest to an absolute all rounder in England but he makes a couple of real howlers every season where he lefts something slip under his body.

I tend to agree about Begovic being on par with those keepers you listed but he'd costs £10-15m to sign from Stoke and surely you only really invest money in the team to sign something better than you already have. Liverpool needed a keeper and they've gone and signed Mignolet who had a great season at Sunderland who were prepared to sell to raise some cash as they had a backup keeper in Westwood who they wanted to put in as number 1.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Stoke City striker Cameron Jerome has admitted charges of breaching the Football Association's betting regulations.

The 26-year-old, a former Birmingham and England Under-21 international player, has been charged with betting on a competition in which his team plays, which is contrary to FA regulations.

It is understood that there is no suggestion of any match-fixing allegations nor that Jerome has gambled on games he has been involved in.

An FA statement read: "The FA has charged Stoke City's Cameron Jerome with breaches of its rules in relation to a number of betting offences.

"Jerome has admitted the charges. A date for an independent regulatory commission to hear the case will be set in due course."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke captain Ryan Shawcross has denied newspaper claims that he had a training ground bust-up with Kenwyne Jones.

The allegations came after Jones told Sky Sports News that some players were happy Tony Pulis was no longer at the club.

However, Shawcross insists there are no issues amongst the squad and that team spirit remains 'fantastic' under Pulis' successor Mark Hughes.

"It's the old cliche of don't always read what's in the papers, it is not always truthful," he told Sky Sports News.

"I think that is what has happened here - nothing really went on to be honest and team spirit stays as it always has been, fantastic.

"There are no problems with anyone and we are just enjoying our football with the new manager."

Shawcross insists that people should not forget what former boss Pulis did for Stoke.

"People are quick to forget what he did in his time here, he was fantastic," he said.

"I really enjoyed it underneath him and he will be remembered for a long time, but now we have moved onto the new manager and everyone can see the style has changed.

"Luckily the performances have come with it because, when you change your style like that it can be difficult to get results, but we seem to have hit the ground running."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke City goalkeeper Asmir Begovic says he was close to joining Manchester City earlier this year, according to reports in his native Bosnia and Herzegovina.

Leading daily Dnevni Avaz quotes Begovic as saying that former City chief Roberto Mancini was close to taking him to the Etihad Stadium this summer.

Mancini's former assistant David Platt stated earlier this summer that they wanted Begovic, and now the Bosnian has also revealed a deal was close.

However, Mancini was sacked by City before the end of the season and Begovic says that was the main reason a deal did not happen.

"As players, we are the last to find out things, probably our agents and club officials find out first without talking to us, then at the latter stage of negotiations they will tell us," he is quoted by the Sarajevo-based newspaper.

"As for Manchester City, when Mancini was on the bench, we were very close to an agreement.

"The transfer was not realised due to several reasons but the main one was the departure of the Italian manager."

A host of goalkeepers are being linked to City after England number one Joe Hart was dropped this week, and Begovic's name is again being mentioned, but he says he is more than likely to stay at Stoke to protect his place with Bosnia, with the World Cup finals on the horizon.

"Could I still move to City? I really don't know if negotiations between clubs are still ongoing but for me probably the best thing would be to stay at Stoke City until the end of the season as in that way I would be truly ready for World Cup in Brazil."

Hughes

Begovic is also full of praise for new Stoke boss Mark Hughes, who took over from Tony Pulis in the summer.

"He is wonderful, a real manager who takes care of everything," he continued.

"He was a great player, his standards are extremely high. Often in training he can still show things to the players, he is still in great shape and form."

Begovic believes Hughes was a very good appointment, adding: "Although the current results are not the best, I think Stoke did a great job of bringing Hughes and we are playing much better football."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 177 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next