AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:18 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sunderland Wundlund
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Steven Fletcher joins Marseilles on loan for rest of season

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Strange one. Why would they let him go out on loan they're in a scrap and surely need all the fire power they can get.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

My guess is Allardyce looking to clear out the rotten apples who poison the dressing room at that club.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sunderland chief executive Margaret Byrne has resigned in the wake of the Adam Johnson child sex abuse case admitting “a serious error of judgement”.

Johnson was suspended a year ago then allowed back into the team and played for the Premier League strugglers until his trial when he pleaded guilty to grooming and a sexual activity with a child.

Pressure was put on the club after Johnson’s legal team told Bradford Crown Court the club was aware that he had told police he kissed the girl.

The club had stated he had told them he intended to deny all the charges against him.

Here is her statement in full:

“In light of recent speculation and media coverage I wish to clarify a number of points relating to my handling of the Adam Johnson issue.

I first met with police representatives after Mr Johnson had been arrested and whilst he was still in custody.

At this time they outlined the nature of the allegations but did not go into detail as he had not been interviewed or charged at this point.

After this meeting with the police I took the decision to suspend Mr Johnson, which was agreed by the club’s Board and chairman.

This suspension was lifted after two weeks, after the club’s position was considered with external legal advisers and the PFA.

Mr Johnson had still not been charged with any offence.

Mr Johnson maintained, as he did throughout the entire process, that he would strenuously fight all charges.

Mr Johnson asked me for a recommendation regarding legal representation and I arranged for him to meet Orlando Pownall QC.

Mr Johnson’s father sent me some documents that he asked me to forward to Mr Pownall, which I did.

I did not examine the contents of these documents in any detail.

Because I had recommended Mr Pownall, I attended part of the introductory meeting at which Mr Pownall met with Mr Johnson.

This meeting took place on 4 May, 2015.

After this meeting, Mr Pownall sent me a note to forward to Mr Johnson which recorded, amongst other things, that Mr Johnson had kissed the victim and communicated with her.

I did not share this information with anybody including the board of Sunderland AFC.

In the following days, Mr Johnson engaged Mr Pownall and changed his legal team and he confirmed to me that he was intending to defend each charge.

He told me that he was confident of a successful outcome.

I did not meet Mr Pownall again and I played no part in respect of plea decisions that he made with his legal team.

Contrary to what has been suggested, I did not understand that Mr Johnson intended to change his plea at trial or at all.

I was astounded when he did plead guilty.

I accept that Mr Johnson should not have been permitted to play again, irrespective of what he was going to plead.

It was a serious error of judgment and I accept full responsibility for this.

The club’s Board was made aware of the broad nature of the allegations, which were a matter of public knowledge, but not of the detail that I was personally privy to.

Based on the information that I had and satisfied that risk assessments had been made, safeguarding measures put in place and the appropriate bodies consulted, I understood the legal process would run its course.

Mr Johnson remained innocent until proven guilty and I was concerned that any action taken by the club against him may be misinterpreted as a judgment on the club’s part as to his guilt at a time when he steadfastly maintained his determination to plead not guilty and fight the charges.

On that basis I recommended to the Board that Mr Johnson should be allowed to play for the club, pending trial.

Mr Johnson’s victim has endured a terrible ordeal and for that I am truly sorry.

At no time was the failure to suspend him again intended to cause any harm or distress to her or her family.

I recognise that, as CEO, my involvement with Mr Johnson and the decision to allow him to continue to represent the club was a serious mistake.

I sincerely regret that this error has impacted on the victim, the club, its supporters and all those affected in such a devastating manner.

Sunderland AFC has a long and proud history.

To see the criticism levelled against it in the last week, and the effect that has had on its staff and supporters in light of this decision, has hurt me deeply.

To this end and for the long-term good of the club and its staff, I have stepped down as CEO with immediate effect.

I thank everyone at Sunderland AFC for their support over the last nine years.

I will make no further comment.”

Club statement from Sunderland AFC:

‘The Board of Sunderland AFC has today accepted the resignation of Margaret Byrne.

‘Margaret, in her role as CEO, was responsible for the running of the club. She was also accountable for the actions taken by the club in relation to Mr. Johnson. Sunderland AFC acknowledges that Margaret’s intentions have always been to act in the best interests of the club, however it has become clear through our own internal investigations that in this instance decisions have been taken by Margaret in error.

”Whilst swift and decisive action was taken to terminate Mr. Johnson’s employment upon his guilty plea, decisions taken prior to this, including the decision not to suspend him for a second time pending the outcome of the trial, were wrong. In light of what has been acknowledged by Margaret as a serious error of judgment on her part, we have undertaken a full review of the club’s decision-making processes to ensure that there can be no such mistakes in the future.

‘Throughout this deeply regretful situation, we recognise that one devoted young fan and her family have been very badly let down, first and foremost by Mr. Johnson and his despicable actions, but also by the club they support. We are so very sorry for this.

‘Mr. Johnson lied to the club; he also lied to our fans and they have every right to feel aggrieved by this. Lessons have been learned and we hope that the club and its fans can move forward from this together.’

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sunderland’s Emmanuel Eboué has received notice that his short-term contract with the club will be terminated after Fifa handed the player a one-year ban. The sanction, which arrived just 22 days after the player signed for the north-east club, was announced after Eboué failed to pay a former agent.

The 32-year-old Ivorian defender, who only signed for the club as a free agent on 9 March, was banned by Fifa’s disciplinary committee after a protracted dispute involving non-payments to his former representative Sébastien Boisseau.

In a statement, Sunderland said: “Sunderland AFC has been advised by the Football Association that Emmanuel Eboué has been placed under an immediate suspension from football and all football-related activity for a period of one year, by Fifa.

“The suspension relates to a monetary dispute which precedes his time at Sunderland AFC and was not something that the club was made aware of by the player. Eboué signed a contract with Sunderland AFC until the end of the current season and the club has therefore given notice of its intention to terminate the contract. The player has two weeks in which to appeal this decision.”

The case was heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport but Eboué’s appeal was dismissed and Fifa has now ordered that the ban be imposed for a year, or as long as it takes the former Arsenal full-back to settle the debt with Boisseau.

According to the governing body, Eboué was originally ordered to pay the undisclosed amount in July 2013, then fined SFr30,000 (£21,650) in September 2014 for failing to comply with the decision and given four months to settle the debut.

Even if Eboué’s appeal against the termination of his contract is successful, any ban could see his short-term contract expire at the end of the season without the player having featured for the club.

The news will have come as another blow to the manager Sam Allardyce, who recruited the experienced defender to assist in the club’s battle for survival in the Premier League. Last month Sunderland sacked the former England midfielder Adam Johnson following his admission of sexual activity with a child, and the player has since been jailed.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jermain Defoe has extended his stay at Sunderland until 2019 after his goals helped to keep the club in the Premier League.

Sunderland confirmed on Thursday that the 33-year-old striker has signed a one-year contract extension, his reward for a return of 18 goals in all competitions last season in a side that struggled for much of the campaign.

His manager, Sam Allardyce, said: “Jermain is one of the greatest goalscorers in the history of the Premier League and is a player that every manager would want to have in their team. He proved that beyond doubt last season by scoring 15 league goals, he is in fantastic physical condition and we are very pleased that we have been able to extend his stay with us.”

Defoe’s 15 league goals, the last of which was a priceless winner in a 3-2 victory over Chelsea in the penultimate game of the season, were the major individual contribution during a campaign in which the club once again flirted with relegation only to drag themselves clear in the closing stages.

His club form even prompted a clamour for him to be included in Roy Hodgson’s England squad for the Euro 2016 finals, although with Harry Kane, Jamie Vardy and Marcus Rashford available to him, Hodgson opted not to call him up.

Defoe has resurrected his career on Wearside since returning to English football from Major League Soccer, where he had a brief spell with Toronto. He arrived at the Stadium of Light in a swap deal with the United States international Jozy Altidore in January last year, and although the system favoured by the former manager Dick Advocaat did little to bring the best out of him, he has prospered under Allardyce, for whom he has played much of his football as a lone striker.

Asked recently about the deal that brought Defoe to Sunderland, Allardyce said: “He scored two goals in two years didn’t he, Altidore, somebody told me? So that was a good swap, that was a good deal, wasn’t it?”

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:58 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Golum's back

hope he does well :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 7:05 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Yeah me too. Would love to see him regain his reputation. I think this is a smart move for both the club and the manager. Big Sam has left him with some decent players too. Will be tough though of course.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Sunderland manager, David Moyes, has made Papy Djilobodji his first signing after completing an £8m deal for the former Chelsea defender. The Senegal international, who can also play as a defensive midfielder, has signed a four-year contract at the Stadium of Light.

Djilobodji joined Chelsea last summer for a reported £2.7m but his only appearance came as an 89th-minute substitute in a 4-1 Capital One Cup win at Walsall. However, despite his minimal impact at Stamford Bridge, Chelsea have trebled their money on a player who has been capped 13 times by Senegal and appeared at the 2015 African Cup of Nations.

The 27-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at Werder Bremen, helping them to Bundesliga safety with an 88th-minute winner against Eintracht Frankfurt on the final day of the campaign.

Djilobodji began his career in Senegal with Saloum before joining Sénart-Moissy in France in October 2009. He joined Nantes in 2010 and went on to make 171 appearances, scoring nine goals, across five years.

“Chelsea Football Club thanks Papy for his service and wishes him well for the future,” said a statement on the London club’s official website.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:52 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sunderland defender Lamine Kone has told manager David Moyes that he wants to leave the club.

The 27-year-old Ivorian, who is a target for Everton, joined the Black Cats in January and helped them avoid Premier League relegation last season.

Kone says his decision comes after the club failed to offer him the improved deal that they said they would.

"It is therefore with much regret that I can only assume that I do not figure in David Moyes' future plans," he said.

"With that being the case, it is with much sadness that I have asked the manager and the chief executive to be allowed to leave Sunderland.

"However, until that time, I give my word that I will give my utmost in training and on the field."

Sunderland begin the Premier League season away to Manchester City on Saturday at 17:30 BST.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Januzaj on a season long loan.

Anyone doing The Sun dreamteam he's the bargain of the comp. £1m

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:45 pm 
Major General
Major General

Hopefully it will be an excellent for him ... Needs time on pitch .. Lamine to be offered new contract..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If he does go I just hope they play him so he can develop he's spent 2 years standing still under LVG it's time for him to kick on I think the permanent move might be better for him as loan are notorious for getting messed about if we are loaning him out I'd want the deal to be structured in a way that there's an insentive for them to play him.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:57 pm 
Major General
Major General

Well Moyes gave him his full debut at stadium of lights and he scored brace there .. This must alone is enough him to be in starting 11 .. How many wide players do they have ?? I think moyes will play him enough he knows him well .. Janujaz can play behind striker too .. He is versatile ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 1:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

He's their star man this season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Arsenal and Newcastle are reported to have joined a clutch of European heavyweights in taking an interest in highly-rated Sunderland forward Joel Asoro.

Asoro, 17, has already made Premier League debut for the club as a late substitute in their recent 2-1 home defeat to Middlesbrough.

The player first came to David Moyes’ attention by shining on the club’s pre-season tour of France, when he opened the scoring in their 3-2 win over Dijon. He has also featured for Sweden’s Under-21s side this season and there’s even been talk of the player being asked to train with their senior international side, such are the player’s abilities.

Swedish outlet Expressen claim his progress has not gone unnoticed with Newcastle and Arsenal interested in signing the teenager. It is claimed the Magpies sent chief scout Graham Carr to watch the forward during the 1-1 draw with Spain Under-21s, while the Gunners are also keeping tabs on Asoro.

The Chronicle report that eight other clubs are also in the race to sign Asoro with Inter, AC Milan, Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund, Paris Saint-Germain, Lyon, Valencia and Villarreal also sending a scouts to watch him play for Sweden. That’s a lot of clubs.

Asoro, who joined Sunderland from IF Brommapojkarna last summer, remains diplomatic over his future despite the interest in him.

“I’m not surprised by the fact that many scouts were there to see such a beautiful match,” Asoro told Swedish TV station TV 12.

“I do my job, we’ll see about the rest later on.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Strange situation yesterday where Patrick Van Aanholt was withdrawn from the game during the warm up

Moyes said post game it was for medical reasons but the player was out warming up when the change was made and then watched the game from the stands

Something very fishy about this one

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:36 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Patrick van Aanholt was pulled out of Sunderland's 1-0 defeat at Tottenham because of medical advice from heart specialists, says boss David Moyes.

Left-back Van Aanholt, 26, was replaced by Jason Denayer 15 minutes before kick-off, but could play in Wednesday's EFL Cup match at Queens Park Rangers.

"He had the statutory checks with the cardiologists," said Moyes.

"The Football Association panel advised us really late that he should not play until further tests had taken place."

Moyes said the Dutchman had since had those tests and would travel with the squad for Wednesday's match at Loftus Road (19:45 BST).

"We are just surprised the FA panel didn't contact me or my doctor until 3.55 on Sunday afternoon," added Moyes.

"I have never in my career been put in a situation like that.

"It was completely outside our control, but it was in our control because we knew we had to make the correct decision for the player and for the football club."

Wonder if that's true

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

Surely they cant lie about FA panel ..or can they ??

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sunderland’s club doctor has resigned in the aftermath of the Patrick van Aanholt saga.

The Daily Mail have exclusively revealed that Ishtiaq Rehman offered his resignation earlier this week after the dramatic and controversial withdrawal of Van Aanholt from the Sunderland starting line-up to face Tottenham earlier this month.

The left-back had been named as a left-back for the fixture at the Stadium of Light, but was removed from the game just 15 minutes before kick-off.

Manager David Moyes explained after the game that the decision was made after a cardiologist from the Football Association advised him not to play the Dutchman.

According to Mike Keegan, Dr Rehman, who joined the club in June 2013, has left as a direct result of the confusion. He writes:

‘But the FA denied any involvement and insisted the Wearsiders were dealing with an independent specialist.

‘That lack of communication within the club, which led to the confusion, is not thought to have gone down well. Moyes, whose side sit bottom of the Premier League, revealed Van Aanholt’s late withdrawal had harmed their performance.’

Just get relegated sack all the staff and start again that place is just a mess they're just hurting themselves by surviving by the skin of their teeth every year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next