AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 6:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sunderland Wundlund
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Sweden international Ola Toivonen has answered Dick Advocaat’s call to arms by signing a season-long loan deal with Sunderland. The 29-year-old attacking midfielder, who played under the Dutchman at PSV Eindhoven, has joined from the Ligue 1 side Rennes.

Advocaat said: “I worked with Ola at PSV, so I know him well. He is a national team player with a lot of experience, an attacking midfielder who can score goals and is good in the air – he will bring something different to the team.”

Advocaat also said he is suffering because of “crazy” spending on “lower than average” players by Sunderland in the past.

The 67-year-old belatedly accepted the owner Ellis Short’s offer of an extended stay on Wearside after securing Premier League survival on a short-term deal last season. He has spent the months since then pleading for up to half a dozen “quality” players to strengthen a squad that has struggled in each of the past two seasons. However, he accepts the Texan businessman’s reluctance to spend following less than effective investment in recent years on players.

Advocaat told the Sunderland Echo: “We had a big past here and I know a little bit about the salary of players – average players, lower than average players – and that’s crazy. People who bought those kind of players for those transfer fees and gave them those salaries didn’t care about the club.

“And then I can understand our owner when he thinks: ‘I spent a fortune and now where are they playing, or not playing?’ I can totally understand him. Supporters have to understand that before you can have a new start, you have to get rid.”

Short issued a robust defence of his stewardship last weekend when he revealed the club has already spent £21.5m this summer, although they have also received £9m from Connor Wickham’s sale to Crystal Palace.

However, only Jeremain Lens and Yann M’Vila to date have met Advocaat’s requirements in terms of the standard of new arrival he requires and although the sporting director, Lee Congerton, is working tirelessly behind the scenes, time is running short. Part of the problem is the club is still paying off instalments on players who have either departed or have been deemed surplus to requirements.

Advocaat said: “[The frustration of supporters] has to do with the last three or four years. Take an example in Swansea: they were almost bankrupt but they had ideas on how to set up a club. We have no time to do that because if you see what the other teams are spending compared with us, that is also a concern. But I know a little bit what we’re paying now and what still has to be paid.”

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:28 pm 
Major General
Major General

i really hope they do go down this season ..i simply dot like them unless they are facing rivals :p

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:05 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

another mauling...

i think Dick will be off..

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:21 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Get Dick Out!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:50 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

That club is rotten to the core they need to go down and maybe go down again a complete clear out and change of culture is required to sort that place out.

Advocaat should never have signed a new deal with them he should've walked away the hero last summer and left the mess to the next guy this is a patter that repeats every year and it suggests something within the club is wrong.

To many players imo on big contracts who don't give a f*ck about Sunderland they're just there for a pay day and an easy life.

I mean what were they thinking about signing Kaboul.

Anyway looking forward to them winning 1-0 against us at the weekend :wall:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:54 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Defoe aside, they are utter rubbish and I would happily see them tumble down the divisions.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:58 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

MIG wrote:
Defoe aside, they are utter rubbish and I would happily see them tumble down the divisions.

Defoe at least appears to be trying but he's not the player he was they need him to stick a few of those chances away.

They need to get their academy going like Newcastle they need young kids who actually give a f*ck about Sunderland as currently it looks to me like no one really cares that much

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sunderland appear in total chaos with Lee Congerton now set to join Dick Advocaat in quitting the struggling club.

Congerton’s 18 months as Sunderland’s sporting director - effectively the director of football - are understood to be ending after his resignation from the post. The former Chelsea chief scout and Hamburg technical director is believed to have become disillusioned by both the club’s complex internal politics and the limited transfer budget made by available by Ellis Short, the owner, this summer.

The sporting director never saw eye to eye with Gus Poyet, Advocaat’s predecessor, feeling undermined when Short permitted Poyet to force through the signings of players such as Liam Bridcutt, Will Buckley and Ignacio Scocco but he was responsible for Advocaat’s, initially short-term, appointment last spring.

With Sunderland somehow avoiding what had seemed near certain relegation, it proved a masterstroke but since Congerton and Short persuaded the Dutchman to reverse a summer-time decision to retire, little has gone right.

Sunderland face West Ham at the Stadium of Light on Saturday bottom of the Premier League without a league win this season. There are understood to be tensions in the squad with certain individuals unhappy at Advocaat’s attempts to sideline some long established players and the manager feeling short-changed by the lack of transfer cash made available to him and Congerton during the close season.

While the former Holland coach is expected to take charge of the game against Slaven Bilic’s side he appears determined to resign at some point afterwards, regardless of the result.

Possible replacements include Sean Dyche, the Burnley manager, as well as Nigel Pearson and Sam Allardyce. The new man will be Short’s sixth managerial appointment in the past four years.

Lots of rumours about the senior players basically running the show at that club and getting away with all sorts.

Club is rotten at the core and needs a total overhaul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

Yup they defintely need over haul , lots of has-beens on high wages ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:36 pm 
Major General
Major General

Advocaat gone ..

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sean Dyche & Nigel Pearson favourites to takeover

If I was Dyche I'd stay well clear Pearson probably doesn't have that choice but he could be the sort of man strong enough to kick the bad eggs out

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:51 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Dick Advocaat has left his job as Sunderland’s head coach just four months after being persuaded to delay his retirement plans for a year.

The 68-year-old Dutchman, who was parachuted in to mastermind a nine-game rescue mission at the end of the last campaign, has walked away with the club sitting in 19th place in the Premier League with just three points after winning none of their opening eight fixtures following Saturday’s 2-2 draw with West Ham at the Stadium of Light.

Advocaat’s departure was confirmed in a club statement which said: “Sunderland AFC has announced that Dick Advocaat has left his position as head coach at the club. The Dutchman informed the chairman of his decision to step down from his role and departs the Stadium of Light with immediate effect.”

It leaves the Black Cats in a state of flux once again with sporting director Lee Congerton also understood to be working a period of notice after tendering his resignation.

But as he departed, Advocaat said: “I want to thank everyone who has stood behind me. This is a very special football club with so many great people, but I feel it is the right time to do this - not for me, but for the club.

“I have made the decision to go after only eight games as I felt it was important to give everyone time to turn things around - like we did last year. I am thankful to the chairman (Ellis Short) for understanding my feelings and I remain on good terms with everyone at the club.

“I wish Ellis, Lee, all of the staff, players and of course the supporters, who made me feel so welcome here, the very best of luck for the rest of the season. I have some wonderful memories to take with me and I hope I will return to see everybody again in the future.”
Advertisement

The Sunderland chairman Ellis Short said: “I am truly saddened by Dick’s decision, but I respect him for his honesty and for doing what he feels is right for the club.

“He is a man of integrity and a true football person. He was hugely respectful of the club in taking this decision and he acted 100% in our best interests. It is also testament to his character that he has forgone any kind of a financial settlement, something which is very unusual in football.

“I want to place on record my sincere thanks to Dick. He will be remembered with great affection by everyone at Sunderland and there will always be a warm welcome for him here at the Stadium of Light.

“While this isn’t a situation any of us envisaged being in, what is important now is that we regroup quickly and focus on the rest of the season.”

The club’s assistant head coach Zeljko Petrovic has also left the club.

is a manager entitled to a remuneration, even though he has left on his own accord? i thought he benefits only when sacked

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:54 pm 
Major General
Major General

Nice bloke .. Should have left after last season finale .. Klopp to take over ? :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

That is true but he could've just hung around until he was sacked rather than step down

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:30 pm 
Major General
Major General

Yeah , this show he aint money-grabbing cu88 football world is full of it .. He has given enough time for successor to turn things around ..

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Dick Advocaat has admitted his Sunderland squad were simply not good enough to avoid another scrap for Premier League survival. The 68-year-old head coach parted company with the club on Sunday, only eight games into the league season having failed to lead them to victory in any of them.

He left following Saturday’s 2-2 home draw with West Ham without asking for a penny in settlement and retaining a fondness for the club, but has since revealed his reasons for doing so.

Advocaat told the Dutch programme, Studio Voetbal: “I already made my decision last week but the club asked me to do the match against West Ham and I really wanted to finish this in style. The struggle against relegation is not my cup of tea. I think it was time for someone else to take over at Sunderland. I became negative and that didn’t feel like myself.

“I don’t regret signing my new contract because it was a great experience. Our squad was simply not good enough. The club knew we had to strengthen ourselves but the chairman [Ellis Short] never told me how much we could spend.”

Speaking to De Telegraaf, he repeated his insistence that he had no regrets, adding: “Sunderland is in my view a very beautiful club. What I have seen no one can take away from me and I would not have missed this for anything. Even on Saturday there were three or four loud chants for me. The fans supported me until the last day, although they did not know I was leaving.”

Advocaat’s departure has created a vacancy Sunderland need to fill as quickly as possible, with the first-team coach Paul Bracewell and senior professional development coach Robbie Stockdale currently looking after those players not away on international duty.

The search for a replacement – which is perhaps further complicated by the fact that the sporting director Lee Congerton is understood to be working his period of notice – is under way, although a definitive list of targets is yet to be drawn up.

There have been mixed messages as to Sam Allardyce’s readiness to return to the game over the past 24 hours, while Harry Redknapp has distanced himself from the vacancy and Patrick Vieira is not understood to be in the reckoning.

The availability of Allardyce following his West Ham departure at the end of last season, and that of his former Leicester counterpart Nigel Pearson, makes them attractive to Sunderland but Sean Dyche is also a man who is held in high regard on Wearside.

However, no appointment is imminent as the club try to avoid the mistakes of the recent past and find a man who can galvanise a squad Advocaat believes is inadequate and one which cannot be strengthened further, even if the money is available, until January.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2015 7:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Big Sam appointed new Sunderland manager.

If he can't stabilise that ship no one can

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2015 4:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The view from Casa St James’ can rarely have seemed more attractive. Sam Allardyce used his handsome pay-off from Newcastle United in 2008 to fund the purchase of that magnificent holiday villa on the Costa Blanca and, at the time, could have hardly imagined that, seven years on, he would be returning to north-east England.

Allardyce spent much of the past week sunning himself in Spain and, as he waited for his negotiating team to finalise the deal that would make him the new manager of Sunderland, the Mediterranean horizon must have appeared particularly bright.

In retracing his steps to the region once known as the hotbed of English football, but which has long been much more of a sickbed, the 60-year-old faces one of his greatest, yet most enticing, challenges.

If rescuing from relegation a team that has not only failed to win a Premier League game all season, but also leaked 18 goals in eight matches is no minor task, the potential prizes on offer proved irresistible to the former Bolton Wanderers, Newcastle United, Blackburn Rovers and West Ham United manager.

Quite apart from the generous remuneration package offered by Ellis Short, Sunderland’s owner – not to mention the chance to choreograph players in front of regular 40,000-plus crowds on one of the domestic game’s most passionate stages – there is scope for some major point-scoring.

Should Sunderland escape the drop to the Championship, Allardyce will reinforce his reputation as a highly proficient, immensely underrated, coach, while leaving the detractors who question the sometimes brutal pragmatism of his methods as rather silly, and sometimes churlish, idealists.

Never knowingly tempted to place style over substance, his hopes of becoming England manager were dashed when, in 2006, Steve McClaren beat him to the job. Allardyce has described that blow as the biggest disappointment of his career, but now – by one of those strange quirks with which football abounds – he finds himself as McClaren’s new neighbour.

With Newcastle also struggling horribly, the next north-east derby, at the Stadium of Light in two weeks’ time, has assumed an extra resonance. His sacking by Sunderland’s great rivals still rankles with Allardyce and it is an understatement to say he would relish exacerbating their misery.

A brand of often binary, sometimes gamesmanship-suffused football, which José Mourinho dismisses as “19th-century” and which has frequently left Arsène Wenger, Rafael Benítez and friends wincing with distaste, prompted his dismissal not only by Newcastle, but by Blackburn and, most recently, West Ham.

While ‘Big Sam’ is a little more three-dimensional than many critics maintain – his reinvention of Stewart Downing in the hole at West Ham last season was intelligently subtle – stylistic principle is an extravagance Sunderland can no longer afford.

Little more than a year ago, Lee Congerton, the out-going sporting director, talked of the team – then managed by Gus Poyet – being built with “a British heart and a Spanish style”. At the time “identity” was the club’s buzzword and Congerton spoke of “leaving footprints in the sand”.

Unfortunately Sunderland have merely become synonymous with annual relegation struggles and an apparently never-ending procession of head coaches. As the eighth manager to work with Short in the past seven years, Allardyce has a narrative to change – and a defence to organise. Along the way, a sizeable new backroom team big on psychology, sports science and computerised analysis must be assembled, with Neil McDonald possibly swapping managing Blackpool for the No2 role.

Despite noises to the contrary, Allardyce is said to have been interested in the job in June, when it appeared Dick Advocaat – who resigned last Sunday – would be retiring rather than returning for what everyone hoped would be a last hurrah.

At the time, Sunderland were still wedded to the director-of-football model that Allardyce has now demanded Short scraps, and regarded Burnley’s Sean Dyche as a more suitable appointment. Four months on, Dyche’s star had waned and Allardyce’s representatives knew that the American financier’s terror of his considerably indebted club being relegated just when a gargantuan new television deal kicked in meant he had effectively backed himself into a corner.

Short has apparently guaranteed Allardyce cash and autonomy to remodel a mentally fragile, sometimes less than uber-professional, squad in January, but Sunderland have only three points and their former centre-half needs to hit the ground running.

On Saturday he will attempt to mastermind a win at West Bromwich Albion – then comes that potentially season-redefining rematch with McClaren and Newcastle.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Sunderland boss Sam Allardyce has accused the Premier League of devaluing the FA Cup.

He said it was "diabolical" that top-flight clubs have league fixtures the Tuesday and Wednesday after this weekend's third-round ties.

"Of course I'm going to make changes for our cup tie at Arsenal on Saturday," Allardyce said.

"We're flogging the lads. There are more and more injuries every year, but it's ignored by the Premier League."

Sunderland, second from bottom in the league, are away to Arsenal in the FA Cup on Saturday (15:00 GMT) before they travel to fellow strugglers Swansea on Wednesday, 12 January.

"If the Premier League decides to put a stupid fixture midweek when they don't bloody need to, then I haven't got much choice than to make changes," said Allardyce.

"If you want us to respect the FA Cup, don't put Premier League fixtures in the midweek just after new year.

"Don't give me stick when I change the side at Arsenal. Give the Premier League stick, not the managers."

Sunderland's game with Swansea was due to be played on Tuesday but was moved back a day because the Welsh side have an FA Cup tie at Oxford United on Sunday.

Allardyce was aggrieved by the switch because his side play at Tottenham in a Saturday lunchtime kick-off on 16 January.

"Making me play Wednesday and Saturday rather than Tuesday and Saturday is making it harder for me to get Premier League points," he said.

"With having three away games in succession, we've got around 2,000 miles of travel and the lunchtime kick-off means we've less than three days recovery for Tottenham."

I'm with Big Sam on this one yes the players get a week off this mid-week but putting a midweek round of games in straight after the 3rd round isn't really on but I guess it's the only way they can fit them in.

Sadly these things keep coming up every year and nothing ever changes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Sunderland defender Sebastián Coates has joined Sporting Lisbon on loan for the rest of the season.

The 25-year-old Uruguay international headed for Portugal following Sunderland’s capture of the Ivory Coast international Lamine Koné on Wednesday evening and could make his Sporting debut against Académica at the weekend.

Coates joined Sunderland from Liverpool, initially on loan, in 2014 and made a permanent move to the Stadium of Light last summer.

He made 32 appearances for the club, but has been sacrificed as the manager Sam Allardyce attempts to rebuild his squad while balancing the wage bill.

Allardyce has already added the goalkeeper Steve Harper, defender Jan Kirchhoff and striker Dame N’Doye to his squad this month, but his priority as the transfer deadline fast approaches is in attack where they have been linked with Swansea forward André Ayew.

Both Sunderland and Swansea have insisted there is no formal offer on the table though reports have suggested a £10m bid plus the striker Fabio Borini.

Allardyce insisted: “There’s been no contact between us and Swansea for us to make an offer. We haven’t made an offer to Swansea for that. I’m not certain that Swansea would want to sell him, so that’s a little bit of speculation on the media’s behalf.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 387 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next