AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next
 Post subject: Re: The General Chelsea Thread
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:29 pm 
Major General
Major General

Well we will soon know .. Same sort of rumors came out for allergi as well and everything looked done dusted ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Haven't seen any of the papers carrying the story with either so not sure I believe it.

Both would be good appointments pretty sure Juve came out when those rumours went around saying Allegri was going nowhere.

Is there a reason why Hiddink couldn't continue?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
For the opening quarter of an hour, it was as if nothing had changed. The Parc des Princes hosted a Chelsea side content to absorb pressure during a crucial match. Paris Saint-Germain dominated the opening stages on Tuesday evening, boasting 74% of the possession, with four attempts on Thibaut Courtois’ goal after just 20 minutes. The only shock was the identity of the man in the visiting dug-out. This was a performance with a flavour of Jose Mourinho, but Guus Hiddink had added his own noticeable touch.

Like his predecessor, Hiddink opted to park the bus in Paris, but the Dutchman dared to allow his players to take over the controls. He trusted them to express themselves when necessary, but know when to exercise caution. He understood that Eden Hazard and Willian are capable of worrying a defence. He realised that Diego Costa is infinitely more effective with support. Hiddink trusted his players to play, not to subdue. Chelsea were set up to accentuate their own strengths, not to suppress those of their opponents. And it showed.

Edinson Cavani’s late winner will seem devastating for Chelsea. This represents the first defeat of Hiddink’s second coming, a first loss since a 2-1 reverse to Leicester 13 games ago. Including his first reign, this was only the second loss Chelsea had endured under Hiddink in 34 games. The Blues must win at Stamford Bridge in the return leg in three weeks, and they must win well.

But the positives from such a performance are obvious. An away goal, courtesy of John Obi Mikel – who else? An excellent defensive performance tinged with two conceded goals – one unlucky, one a result of a quality striker. A fluent attack which saw Costa hit the crossbar early on, and the Spaniard, Oscar and Pedro wasting chances to deal a decisive blow in the tie. The scoreline reads 2-1, but Chelsea know they are still in this. So will PSG.

These two sides have grown accustomed to one another. Mourinho led his charges into battle against their French adversaries in the Champions League knock-out stages of both of the last two seasons. In a 3-1 first-leg defeat in 2014, Chelsea had seven shots to PSG’s 12, ceding the majority of possession. A year later, Mourinho had learnt from what he perceived as mistakes. Chelsea had just two shots in a defensive performance. Their hosts had 14. While the Blues secured a 1-1 draw, they failed to reach the next round, whereas they advanced a year previous despite defeat. The folly of Mourinho’s tactics had been exposed in full.

In this, the third instalment in the trilogy, Chelsea had more shots than in those two games combined. Ten efforts rained down on Kevin Trapp’s goal, as the French side often struggled to deal with such a potent attack. In turn, PSG had 20 efforts, but registered just three more on target. Hiddink opted to deal with the considerable threat directly, and it so very nearly paid off. The Dutchman will surely remain content with an away goal, despite the deficit. The folly of Mourinho is exposed further.

Hiddink struck a balance on Tuesday, one which Mourinho rarely entertained even investigating. Faced with the attacking talents of Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Angel di Maria and Lucas Moura, any side would be forgiven for approaching with trepidation. But Chelsea have Costa. They have Willian. They have Hazard. They have Cesc Fabregas. These players – Willian aside – have undeniably underperformed this season, yet they are still among the finest attacking talents in Europe. The key is to let them prove that when possible.

When Chelsea were required to defend however, the ghost of Mourinho lingered. The Blues were without injured and influential captain John Terry, and while his contract situation remains uncertain, the search must one day commence for his replacement. On Tuesday’s evidence, he may already be at the club. Gary Cahill and Branislav Ivanovic were impervious in Paris, making 16 clearances, three interceptions and four blocks between them. PSG’s central defensive pairing of David Luiz and Thiago Silva made four clearances, four interceptions and zero blocks combined. Terry’s influence and leadership is seen as irreplaceable at Stamford Bridge, but Ivanovic seamlessly assumed the role as stand-in captain. It turns out the central defender is better in central defence than right-back.

The performance of Baba Rahman was also a welcome surprise for the Blues. The left-back had struggled since signing from Augsburg in the summer, but no player on the pitch made more interceptions (six), and only one team-mate, Cesar Azpilicueta, completed more tackles. The 21-year-old’s performance was symptomatic of a complete team performance from Chelsea, expertly manned by the ever-improving Fabregas and the ever-trustworthy Mikel in the centre. Remember when Nemanja Matic was a thing?

“He has given us a bit more freedom and the confidence to raise our game,” Hazard said of interim manager Hiddink last week. After an effervescent 5-1 thrashing of Newcastle, it showed once again against opposition on a different level. Chelsea will chase the game in the return leg at Stamford Bridge; they have to. But this showing proves they are capable of causing significant damage to the runaway Ligue Un champions. Hiddink will be disappointed, but satisfied on reflection.

It will surprise no-one that Willian is capable of such explosive runs and incisive passing. Few will be surprised that Hazard is more effective going forward than acting as a defensive decoy. Few except Mourinho. The effect that a trusting manager has had on these players is palpable.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Antonio Conte is the odds-on favourite to become the next Chelsea manager, following reports in Italy he has agreed a deal in principle to join the Blues in the summer.

Sky Sports News HQ understands Chelsea technical director Michael Emenalo travelled to Italy on Tuesday and will be present at Juventus' Champions League last-16 tie against Bayern Munich, with Conte also due to attend.

SSN HQ are currently investigating the claim the Italy coach has agreed a two-year deal to become the permanent successor to Jose Mourinho.

Conte is currently priced 8/13 with Sky Bet to be Chelsea manager on the first day of next season.

His contract with Italy expires after the 2016 European Championship in the summer and he will be free to move to Stamford Bridge, with no compensation needed to be paid to the Italian Football Federation.

Sky Italia's Valentina Fass told SSN HQ that Conte had been linked with Chelsea for some time and a deal between the two was reported to be close to being agreed before Christmas.

However, she said nothing had been signed, adding: "We know that by March, Chelsea want to decide who their manager for next year will be - Conte seems to be ahead in the talks but nothing has been decided yet.

"There are still other contenders. [Diego] Simeone, even though it looks like he wants to stay at Atletico Madrid, is one of the names on the list still, also [Max] Allegri, Juventus manager, is on the list."

If Conte does join Chelsea, he will become the 10th manager to work under owner Roman Abramovich since the Russian billionaire acquired the club from Ken Bates in 2004.

Guus Hiddink, who replaced Mourinho on an interim basis in December, has already stated his intention to retire from management at the end of the season, ruling himself out of taking the role permanently.

Allegri
Simeone

Conte :thumbup:

I think any of those 3 are a good choice they place the sort of football Chelsea are used to I'd say generally they are all defensive minded managers who like to play counter attack.

I think Chelsea can afford to wait until after the Euros because the manager isn't responsible for signing the player as long as he does a quick assessment of areas he wants to strengthen they can get on with it while he's off managing Italy.

He did a good job at Juve putting them back on top of the table in Italy can't really comment on how he's done with the national team they've made it to Euro 2016 but that wasn't exactly difficult

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
10 managers in 12 years

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Is 12 years since the Abrahmovic takeover?

I'm guessing that includes Hiddink, Benitez & Hiddink as interims?

The things is changing manager doesn't seem to effect them that much they just regroup and crack on with it.

4 titles
1 European Cup
1 Europa League
3-4 FA Cups
2-3 League Cups

Changing your manager isn't always ideal but it's the way of the modern world and Chelseea seem to cope with managerial changes better than others. The test that's now coming for them is as the last of that "Chelsea Core" may be going in the summer will the club maintain that coping method. Chelsea seemed to be able to go to this auto pilot mode after they got rid of a manager they didn't like and just get into trophy winning mode.

Cech, Terry, Cole, Lampard & Drogba were the driving force in the dressing room and they'd get everyone to come with them but that doesn't seem to be there now maybe new leaders will emerge but I think the biggest problem they face is will the players love Chelsea and run through brick walls in the name of the club in the same way those boys did. The negative side of that is obviously once a manager fell out with this core they'd get the whole team to down tools

If Terry goes in the summer the last of that sort of crowd will be Ivanovic.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
If Conte does join Chelsea, he will become the 10th manager to work under owner Roman Abramovich since the Russian billionaire acquired the club from Ken Bates in 2004.

I don't know I was just basing it on the article you posted!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

You assume I read half of what I post :laugh:

Mourinho
Grant
Scolari
Hiddink
Ancelloti
Villas Boas
Di Matteo
Benitez
Mourinho
Hiddink

Off the top of my head I'm pretty happy with that :ohmy: :coat:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ranieri

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Misread it the 2nd time read it as appointed by Roman which Ranieri wasn't.

Still includes 3 interim managers Grant, Benitez & Hiddink

The payouts made to managers probably cost more than Torres

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:56 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I'd be gutted if Conte went there

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The only thing I'd say on Conte on his time at Juventus was that in that period the biggest challenge to them came from Roma who are notorious bottle jobs and Napoli who were managed by Benitez who is as we all know sh*t at winning leagues but good at winning cups.

He took over Juve as they started to get the benefit of having their own stadium and they made some pretty shrewd signings like Vidal, Pogba and most importantly Pirlo who was released by Milan IIRC. At the same time Milan also sold Ibra & Thiago Silva so the team that had won the league the year before was dismantled and Juventus really took over as the top dog in Italy again Inter were the same.

You can't knock winning 3 titles in a row but in Europe they struggled to make an impression and his favoured 3-5-2 system was often their downfall.

I don't think you can see this as a complete game changer for Chelsea but you would assume they can't be much worse next season the main thing for them will be holding on to key players with no CL football next season. There are some rumours that players like Courtois, Hazard, Costa & Willian could be tempted away as no CL football doesn't really appeal to them.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:30 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
JSP wrote:

I don't think you can see this as a complete game changer for Chelsea but you would assume they can't be much worse next season the main thing for them will be holding on to key players with no CL football next season. There are some rumours that players like Courtois, Hazard, Costa & Willian could be tempted away as no CL football doesn't really appeal to them.

Yeah, maybe they should have played a bit better then. Bloody footballers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Courtoius was injured for 3 months so hard to pin it on him to much but yeah it's clear the players quit on Jose (we don't know why) and it's blown their season but that's modern football they hold the power and can force moves if they want to they don't have loyalty to Chelsea. All of them left other clubs to come to Chelsea so I see no reason why they won't do the same to them now.

I'm sure financially the players suffer as I'm guessing CL qualification brings a bonus under their player contracts but the reality is they aren't forced to fight again next season the modern player can chuck his toys out the pram and go elsewhere next season and be back in the big tournament.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:25 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Chelsea are close to confirming Italy boss Antonio Conte as their new manager, with the 46-year-old set to sign a three-year deal worth £18m. (Daily Express)

Italian Conte has recommended Bosnia midfielder Miralem Pjanic, 25, and Belgium midfielder Radja Nainggolan, 27 - both Roma players - to the Stamford Bridge club as potential signings. (Times - subscription required)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:37 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Loftus-Cheek has signed a 5 year contract with Chelsea.

Rumours are his salary is £60k a week :ohmy:

If true that is ridiculous he's done nothing and he's now got £15m over 5 years as a salary.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The agent of Chelsea loan signing Alexandre Pato says that he is not disturbed by his client’s lack of first-team action.

Pato joined from Brazilian side Corinthians in January, but has yet to play a single minute for the club. He’s a January signing who made us wonder why they bothered.

However, Pato’s agent Gilmar Veloz told Radio Bandeirantes in Brazil that he and the player were relaxed about the situation.

“England is not like Brazil, where you sign someone and immediately have to play them,” Veloz said.

“The manager was clear and said two or three times that Pato has to wait until he’s reached the [fitness] level of the other players.

“He had four weeks of special training. After the third, he was already starting to get up to speed and waiting for his moment to be in the squad. But since he arrived the team has been winning, with the attackers scoring goals.

“There’s no issue, it’s a normal situation. We have to wait.”

Guus Hiddink said that Pato arrived in “pre-season shape”. It wasn’t meant as a compliment.

If Chelsea go out on the CL this week makes you wonder why they bothered with him as they're not really playing for anything in the league and surely Diego Costa, Remy and the new kid Traore are enough to cover an FA Cup campaign. I'm assuming Falcao is still knocking around somewhere as well.

Guessing Chelsea owe someone either at Corinthians or that agent a favour

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

So where do Chelsea go from here? They could have their end of season party tonight it's season over for them now.

A lot of changes to come over the summer?

Who will be manager next season?

Terry definitely gone this summer.

Hazard more than likely gone this summer.

You'd imagine they will look to bring in a new striker to play back up to Costa. Currently have Remy Falcao Pato and Traore. They will surely make a signature signing to appease the fans after losing Hazard. Will they want to go in to a new season with Cahill/Zouma as their #1 CB pairing? Stones?

I think first 11 CB and LW required and back up RB CB and ST. So 5 signings and a new manager.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It seems like Conte is coming I don't think Terry is definitely off it will all depend on if the new manager wants him and how he wants to use him.

Hazard looks like he wants out there's also constant rumours Costa wants to go back to Spain

I don't think the whole thing needs rebuilding but they need to sign strong characters to replace the likes of Cole, Cech, Drogba & Lampard who've all left recently. Chelsea sort of like Utd have gone a bit soft and that's not what Chelsea's success was built on they have to be a big physical side

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois says Chelsea were right to sack Jose Mourinho.

Mourinho was fired in December after the club's disastrous start to their Premier League title defence which saw Chelsea flirting with relegation.

Courtois says a poor pre-season was at the root of the problem, and the Belgium international believes the owner Roman Abramovich had no choice but to sack Mourinho and bring in a new man - Guus Hiddink.

Courtois told Belgian television station RTBF: "It is hard to explain why our season has been bad. Maybe it is as a result of our pre-season preparations, which were very brief.

"We returned to training on July 16 and six days later we were already playing a match against New York Red Bulls.

"We weren't in a good physical shape. We then lost to Arsenal in the Community Shield and went on to make a bad start in the league. A downward spiral set in.

"We needed a change of manager at that point - I have no doubts about it. We drew too many matches and we have also conceded goals too easily. I could have done better with some of them."

Doesn't explain why all of a sudden with a new manager players decided to run around a bit more though does it? Shows that player power always has and always will run the show at Chelsea.

The players clearly quit on Mourinho for whatever reason but it's interesting to see a player actually come out and say it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 66, 67, 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73  Next