AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:37 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next
 Post subject: The General Chelsea Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:44 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
(As I don't think there's a general Chelsea thread already out there)

Quote:
Chelsea have made the surprise announcement that assistant manager Ray Wilkins has left the club.

Wilkins' contract was up for renewal but having not been offered fresh terms he has left the Barclays Premier League champions with immediate effect.

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay said: "On behalf of everyone at the club I would like to thank Ray for everything he has done for Chelsea Football Club.

"We all wish him well for the future."
Wilkins was on the bench for Wednesday night's 1-0 win over Fulham but will now be seeing new employers.

The former England midfielder rejoined Chelsea's coaching staff for a second time in 2008 to work under Luiz Felipe Scolari and was asked to take over as boss on a caretaker basis when the Brazilian was sacked in February 2009.

He stayed at the club when Guus Hiddink came in until the end of the season and also remained when Carlo Ancelotti was named boss ahead of the 2009/10 season.

Wilkins, 54, also enjoyed a distinguished playing career with spells at Chelsea, Manchester United, AC Milan and QPR amongst others.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: The General Chelsea Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:49 pm 
Major General
Major General

Whats the inside story ??

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:52 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
No idea, just looks like his contract was up and they decided not to retain him. Guess Ancelotti will be bringing in his own man, or promoting internally.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Not sure how much of an input he had other than being a sort of handover from Hiddink to Ancelotti as I got the feeling that Wilkins had the respect of the dressing room. I guess Chelsea have decided that they don't really need him anymore and he'll go back to doing pundit work for Sky.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:02 pm 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Highscores: 15
Now Ancelloti can speak English he sees no need for Ray Wilkins. He helped him settle in with his knowledge of Italian from his Milan days, a good bridge between the squad and manager but now his time is up.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:47 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 3
Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard has been ruled out for a further three weeks after suffering a new injury in training.

Lampard has not played for the Premier League champions since the end of August after undergoing a hernia operation.

He was working towards a first-team comeback against Sunderland on Sunday, but his return has been delayed after picking up a fresh muscle problem.

The 32-year-old damaged his adductor muscle near the groin area towards the end of Friday's training session and he faces up to another three weeks on the sidelines.

Lampard had been expected to go straight back into Carlo Ancelotti's starting line-up against Sunderland after Michael Essien was sent off in the midweek win over Fulham.

The continued absence of the England international means Ancelotti is likely to go with a midfield trio of John Obi Mikel, Ramires and Yuri Zhirkov, who all started last weekend's 2-0 defeat at Liverpool.

Ancelotti can call on Nicolas Anelka after a back injury, but Brazilian defender Alex will miss out again due to a knee problem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti paid tribute to Ray Wilkins following his shock departure as assistant coach - and stressed it was the club's decision.

Wilkins was in the dugout for Wednesday night's win over Fulham but his long association with the Blues came to an abrupt end less than 24 hours later via a brief statement on the official website.

Speaking at his Friday press conference before Chelsea face Sunderland, Ancelotti said: "I want to say one thing. Ray was a fantastic assistant coach - I want to say thanks to him because he was a fantastic support last season and this season.

"He did a fantastic job and helped me and all the team to win the double, so the first thing is to say a lot of thanks to him.

"He is my friend, I have a fantastic relationship with him and I will have a fantastic relationship with him.

"He knew very well English football and has a lot of experience as assistant. His job he did very well.

"The club made this decision, I think it was a difficult decision for everyone but I have respect for this decision. I have trust in all the staff working with me, and now we have to move on.

"We have to look forward, stay focused on the next game because it is an important season for us and it is important to move on.

"I spoke with the players to tell them the club made the decision, but as I said before we have to move on and stay focused. The players are in focus and will continue to stay focused."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Chelsea are on the lookout for a new assistant manager following the sudden departure of Carlo Ancelotti's right-hand man Ray Wilkins.

Club legend Wilkins was in the dugout for Wednesday night's win over Fulham but his long association with the Blues came to an abrupt end less than 24 hours later via a brief statement on the official website.

The announcement stated the club had opted not to renew Wilkins' contract and that he would leave the club immediately.

Chelsea chief executive Ron Gourlay followed up with a brief tribute to the former club captain, adding: "On behalf of everyone at the club I would like to thank Ray for everything he has done for Chelsea Football Club.

"We all wish him well for the future."

The brevity of that gesture is notable given that only last month the Blues used their website to host a lengthy two-part homage to Wilkins' Chelsea career.

There was also little suggestion, in public at least, that Wilkins' time at Stamford Bridge was coming to an end.

In an interview dated October 29, the 54-year-old told the club's official website: "I think our league is fantastic and long may it continue. I still get excited about a game, like I did 37 years ago, and I will keep doing so."

Chelsea boss Carlo Ancelotti has publicly praised Wilkins in the past for playing a key role in easing him in to the manager's office last season.

Wilkins once played for AC Milan and his ability to converse in both English and Italian was cited as crucial to Ancelotti's early triumphs.

Indeed, the former Rossoneri boss said in the foreword to his assistant's recent autobiography that Chelsea owed last season's title success in large part to Wilkins.

He will now be on the lookout for a man to offer similar input, while Chelsea will also be eager to fill the void of fan favourite.

Wilkins remains a hugely popular figure amongst the team's followers and the appointment of a figure with a similar stature would go some way to dulling their disappointment.

Gianfranco Zola is currently out of work following his sacking as West Ham boss and, although an assistant's job would be a step down, he spent some of the best years of his career with Chelsea and is held in the highest esteem by supporters.

Like Wilkins he speaks both languages and may be tempted by a job that could put him in line to be Ancelotti's eventual successor.

Other names sure to be given an airing include former Blues assistant Steve Clarke, who followed Zola out of Upton Park earlier this year worked as Jose Mourinho's deputy at Stamford Bridge, Brighton manager Gus Poyet - like Zola a former Chelsea player, and Paolo Maldini - a stalwart of Ancelotti's Milan years.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It`s A Shame About Nice Guy Ray

There's a lad who works in my local hippy whole food store who is possibly the nicest man on earth. He's always cheerful, remembers your name, always quick with a joke and a smile. The sort of chap that makes you feel that maybe humans aren't all so bad after meeting.

Whereas the typical retail experience in UK is to be met with a puke-faced sourness or a weary, over-bearing sense that all of this serving people business is really too much trouble, this fella goes out of his way to be helpful and to make sure you've got exactly the right kind of ginseng - Korean not Siberian - and he can find the Himalayan Mountain Crystal salt just like that. Service with a smile. He's great.

The fact one man can extract such joy and good humour out of existence is an example to us all.

The problem is, because he's so nice, I find it hard to believe he's always that good-natured. Surely, he must get pished off and lose his rag sometimes? Then I start to wonder if this is all an elaborate façade constructed to make gullible people like me think he's lovely when in fact, he's a devil worshipper and eats kittens. He's just too good to be true.

This is almost certainly way too cynical and suspicious but I can't help it. There is something vaguely unsettling about people who are happy, positive and good natured all the time. Perhaps this is part of every Northern man's emotional inheritance - feeling suspicious at happy people - but I'm sure I'm not alone in this uneasy feeling around the always-cheerful.

I've certainly always felt like this about Ray Wilkins, who was sacked by Chelsea yesterday. Wilkins, when he appears on TV, is simply the most polite and good-natured man in football. I've even heard him genuinely ask after the health of the interviewer before discussing the game. He always calls footballers' young men' and effuses an air of concern for both the morality and spirituality of his club's players. He never seems grumpy, never nasty or overtly critical of others, always reserved and self-contained and ready with a smile to gloss over any awkwardness.

Now, I saw a lot of Wilkins as a player in the late 70 and 80s and he wasn't that nice on the pitch. Butch was, as I recall, a bit of a narky sod who considered a forward pass a sin against nature. He did not radiate a sunny disposition at all, favouring the bulldog with piles expression instead. He was virtually bald by the time he was 21 - surely this alone would make you a very angry man?

All of which makes me wonder if this new beatific personality is a later in life development; something he's grown into as he feels the cold air of on-rushing mortality, or, as my suspicious mind wonders, if its really all a big front and he's the same old narky, crabby arse he used to be on the pitch?

Perhaps he didn't have his contract renewed because he was too nice? Maybe nice isn't what is needed in modern football. Maybe nasty works better. Or maybe behind the scenes Wilkins has been a bit of a swine, kicking small boys and giving Chinese burns to the cooking staff? Who knows? But getting rid of him seems odd especially as they won the league last year and currently sit top of the table, all with him standing beside Ancellotti.

Whatever the reasons behind the decision, it seems likely that it was a decision that Wilkins will have taken with good grace, will have thanked all concerned for the honour to serve Chelsea FC and backed out of the room with smile. But who knows, maybe he is, as we speak, climbing to the top of a building in West London with a powerful rifle, about to make the kind of news that always ends with the words 'before turning the gun on himself.'

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ancelotti out :rant:

...lack of quality midfielders

...lack of defensive cover!!!

they're deteriorating....someone's gotta stop the rot

BRING BACK BUTCH!!!!

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

defender Alex will miss the next six to eight weeks with an ongoing knee injury, the club have confirmed.

The Brazilian has already been absent from the Blues' last two Barclays Premier League fixtures against Fulham and Sunderland because of the problem, although he had linked up with Brazil for their midweek friendly in Qatar.

A statement on the club's website, chelseafc.com read: "Further to the Chelsea medical team's diagnosis, the Brazilian national team doctors agree that further investigation via arthroscopic surgery is required on the player's right knee. That will take place over the coming days.

"He is expected to be out for approximately six to eight weeks."

With defensive partner John Terry also out with injury at the moment, 28-year-old's extended absence is a further blow to manager Carlo Ancelotti.

In July Alex suffered a thigh injury which made him a doubt for the start of the new season, but he did feature in the club's 6-0 thumping of West Brom on August 14.

Club captain Terry is undergoing treatment to resolve a problem with a nerve in his leg.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:53 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Highscores: 1
Looking a bit worse for wear at the moment old Chelsea!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Chelsea manager Carlo Ancelotti has confirmed Alex will start their Premier League clash at Birmingham but admits the defender still requires knee surgery.

The Brazilian missed the Blues' 3-0 defeat to Sunderland last weekend through injury and was due to spend a lengthy spell on the sidelines. But the former PSV centre-back was then called up for Brazil's friendly with Argentina in Qatar in midweek.

And while Ancelotti has revealed Alex is fit enough for the trip to St Andrews, the Italian admits he will have to go under the knife in the near future.

"(On Saturday) Alex will be fit to play, this is good news," Ancelotti told Sky Sports News

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:24 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Lost again today! Title race wide open again! :fonz:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Sparkys kneecap wrote:

Er why are you gloating in the Chelsea thread? :no:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2010 7:45 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:

Er, because I am talking about Chelsea and this is the Chelsea thread?! :hmm:

I am not gloating, My :fonz: was because the title race is open!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:30 am 
Major General
Major General

diplomatic :thumbup:

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 3:01 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Sparkys kneecap wrote:
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:

The point is we do that kinda gloating/comments in the United club board not in the Premier League which is an area for all fans including our Chelsea fans... so in effect it's their club board... therefore no winding up or smiles that they lost.

But you can just head into your private club board where that stuff is more than welcome. :thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 4:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Chelsea's young forwards Fabio Borini and Gael Kakuta are believed to have rejected new contract offers from the club.

The News of the World claims that the Blues offered the pair similar contracts worth £18,000 a week, but the duo rejected them and could now be in line to leave the west London outfit for free during the summer.

If Kakuta were to leave the club, it would come as a blow because Chelsea and the player himself were hit with sanctions following what proved to be a contentious and troublesome signing.

Fifa initially judged that Roman Abramovich's outfit had completed an unlawful transfer when the Frenchman joined the Londoners, and doled out punishments to both club and player. The 19-year-old starlet was banned for months while the club had a transfer embargo imposed upon them.

However, these punishments were lifted when the Court of Arbitration for Sport cleared Chelsea of any wrongdoing, determining that the young forward's contract with former club RC Lens was invalid.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2010 7:33 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

conscience wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
Sparkys kneecap wrote:

The point is we do that kinda gloating/comments in the United club board not in the Premier League which is an area for all fans including our Chelsea fans... so in effect it's their club board... therefore no winding up or smiles that they lost.

But you can just head into your private club board where that stuff is more than welcome. :thumbup:

Con, did you read what I just said? It's not gloating. My thumbs up were, as explained, that the title race is back open, stop being so sensitive!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1450 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 73  Next