AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:15 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: West Brom - Boing Boing Baggies
PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:54 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Fans/Police.

This is what I read on facebook.

Quote:
Ugly scenes for all concerned. Some baggies should be ashamed of themselves for allowing themselves to get involved BUT I will say this.

1. I witnessed 2 coins fly past me, one of which was so close to my head I could hear it. That coin hit an old man in the face. He seemed okay.

2. I witnessed several acts of aggression by members of the South Wales Constabulary against Albion supporters including an Officer holding a Supporter whilst a Steward attacked him and an Officer beneath the stand squaring off with a young Supporter and saying 'Yeah, what you gonna do you horrible little English cunt'.

3. I witnessed Police filming Albion supporters and could not see any filming Cardiff supporters. If that's not racially aggravated discrimination then tell me what is.

4. I witnessed Officers unnecessarily using police dogs to intimidate supporters after the commotion had died down. I also witnessed an Officer kicking a dog's hind leg to provoke the animal.

5. I witnessed Cardiff supporters spitting on Albion supporters.

All in all these scenes have lead me to believe that the relationship between the FA and South Wales Police needs to be addressed immediately. And any Baggie that finds themselves goaded or provoked by opposition supporters should exercise restraint and file a formal complaint at a police station.

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Wonderful stuff.. Always heard things could get a bit horrible in Cardiff.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:22 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Clarke sacked too... wales' gone mad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

borocooper wrote:
Harsh one.. Finished 8th last season. Had he spent alot..? He needed a good striker to replace Lukaku really. If he'd had that I think they'd have done okay.

Must have someone else lined up.. Says he's been put on gardening leave. Can't see them doing much better with a new manager.

His record in 2013 wasn't great 7 wins 10 draws and 17 losses I think we're the stats on MOTD.

I agree they're short up top but good strikers cost money and if they don't have it what can he do.

Sad to hear about the trouble at the game

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2013 1:27 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Yeah that's the thing. He took a bit of a gamble with Anelka.. Didn't work. And went for Anichibe.. And that really hasn't worked either.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Derek McInnes and Mike Phelan are both understood to be amongst the names being considered by West Bromwich Albion following Steve Clarke's departure.

The early favourite has been former coach Roberto Di Matteo, but it is not believed that the Italian is ready to return to management following his departure from Chelsea last season.

Sky Sports does understand that McInnes, who took charge of Aberdeen earlier this year and has helped turnaround the fortunes of the Pittodrie club, is on their shortlist.

McInnes is still regarded as a legend at West Brom after he spent three years with the club as a player from 2000.

Martin Jol, out of working after leaving Fulham, is another former West Brom player who has emerged as one of the early contenders.

Former Manchester United number two Phelan is believed to be on their radar and he could form a management team with former Baggies favourite Michael Appleton, who is out of work after leaving Blackburn earlier this year.

Another contender with United connections is Ole Gunnar Solskjaer, coach of Molde, whilst Paul Clement - brother of former West Brom favourite Neil - and now at Real Madrid has also been linked.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has been backed into favourite with Sky Bet to be the next West Brom manager after Molde confirmed approaches.

The former Manchester United striker has enhanced his coaching credentials with back-to-back titles in his native Norway, the club's first ever in their history.

That success and a failure to extend his current contract, which expires in 2014, has seen him linked to various vacancies, with his name now heading the list of candidates to replace Steve Clarke at 11/8.

Molde director Tarje Nordstrand Jacobsen told Norweigen newspaper Romsdals Budstikke: "I can confirm that we have received formal requests, but will not say when they arrived or where they came from."

Gianfranco Zola had led the market following his departure from Watford but has now drifted out to 4/1 second favourite, followed by Malky Mackay (6/1) amid uncertainty over his position at Cardiff.

Solskjaer is also considered in the betting for the next Tottenham manager but is an outsider at 33/1, with Frank de Boer and Tim Sherwood the current favourites.

Sky Bet's Chris Spicer said: "We have seen a significant run of bets for Solskjaer to get the job, noticeably since it was confirmed that Molde have received approaches.

"Since moving on from his role with the academy at Old Trafford to achieve unprecedented success in Norway, he has been touted as a future Manchester United manager and West Brom looks the ideal platform to enhance his credentials further."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Pepe Mel appointed on an 18 month contract.

Shame yet another job goes to a foreign manager especially disappointing considering the owner and board are British but I guess there were no decent candidates.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:08 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Hull City are set to sign West Brom striker Shane Long for a fee which could rise to £7m.

Long, 26, almost moved to the Tigers on transfer deadline day in September and will hold talks again on Thursday.

The former Reading player has scored 22 goals in 87 games for West Brom and has 18 months remaining on his contract.

"Despite our best endeavours, Shane has declined to sign a new contract," said West Brom sporting director Richard Garlick.

"We began talking to Shane about a new contract last Spring and, during the ongoing negotiations, we made two offers which would have significantly increased his salary."

Sounds like they're being forced to sell as he wont sign a new deal but this can't leave them with many options up front.

Assuming Anelka gets a lengthy ban for that Quenelle thing that only really leaves them with Anichebe & Berahino

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:25 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

New man mightve been told to sell to buy..?

He better start looking at buying anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 10:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Bromwich Albion's sponsor, Zoopla, has told the club to drop Nicolas Anelka over his quenelle gesture or risk their lucrative shirt deal being scrapped.

Meanwhile the club have called on the Football Association to bring a swift end to its investigation into the striker's controversial goal celebration.

According to Marketing Week, the property and house prices website company has contacted West Brom to voice its dissatisfaction following Anelka's actions, which some say carry antisemitic overtones.

Zoopla, owned by the Jewish businessman Alex Chesterman, said Anelka must be dropped for Monday's Premier League home game against Everton and has told the club it will want its name removed from the team's shirts immediately if he plays.

Zoopla is understood to have been left stunned by the decision to keep Anelka in the team while the FA investigation continues. The 34-year-old has featured in every league game since the gesture against West Ham in December, though West Brom have claimed they are powerless to act until the FA concludes its inquiry.

The FA has made no comment other than to state an independent expert is aiding its investigation and there would be no further update until 20 January at the earliest.

Immediately after the incident West Brom said in a statement that "Nicolas is eligible for matches whilst the FA carries out its investigation. Therefore, Nicolas will remain under consideration for first-team selection whilst the FA and club continue their enquiries."

From West Brom's perspective, the club are anxious to know whether Anelka will be charged with making an antisemitic gesture. If he is found guilty he could be banned for a minimum of five games under new anti-racism rules, ruling him out until March.

With the club having sold the striker Shane Long to Hull for a fee that could rise to £7m, the loss of Anelka would further weaken the new head coach Pepe Mel's forward options and undermine West Brom's struggle to stay in the top flight.

The club's sporting and technical director, Richard Garlick, said: "There are investigations ongoing and, while they are, we won't comment."

Pressed on the matter, Garlick added: "People can speculate there is a turn of events where we might be two strikers down. It would help everyone for that investigation to be over as soon as possible and the FA have given their statement about how quickly they will do that."

Anelka has confirmed that by placing his left arm across his chest while keeping his right arm pointed downwards, he was recreating the quenelle but claimed it was a "special dedication to my comedian friend Dieudonné".

Dieudonné M'Bala M'Bala, however, is well known in France for maintaining antisemitic views and for having come up with the gesture, which he first used in 2009, while standing in the European elections for an anti-Zionist party.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Property website Zoopla says it will end its sponsorship deal with West Brom at the end of the current season due to Nicolas Anelka's 'quenelle' gesture.

The gesture - which Anelka performed after scoring against West Ham last month - has anti-Semitic connotations in France.

It has been described as an inverted Nazi salute, and Anelka's gesture drew widespread condemnation from anti-racism campaigners in the UK and France.

Anelka insists the gesture - made widely known in France by the striker's controversial comedian friend Dieudonne - is anti-establishment, not anti-Semitic.

Dieudonne has six convictions for hate speech against Jews.

Zoopla, which is owned by Jewish businessman Alex Chesterman, is believed to have been unhappy that the Baggies continued to pick Anelka despite the incident.

Their sponsorship deal with West Brom was the biggest in the club's history, although it was due to expire this summer, and the company has now confirmed it will not renew the deal.

In a statement Zoopla said it had been "reviewing its position over the past few weeks in light of the actions of striker, Nicolas Anelka, during the match against West Ham over the Christmas period and has decided to focus its attention on other marketing activities after this season".

The FA has been investigating the issue, and is expected to deliver its verdict on Monday or Tuesday, with Anelka facing the possibility of a lengthy ban.

The Anelka incident remains a huge story in France. After the West Ham match France's Sports Minister Valerie Fourneyron tweeted: "Anelka's gesture is a shocking provocation, sickening. There's no place for anti-Semitism and incitement to hatred on the football field."

WBA have got to be seen to act quickly on this I accept it's taken a bit of time because this symbol isn't really recognised in England when he did it I didn't think anything of it as I had no idea what it meant just assumed it was some new celebration he'd come up with. If the FA charge him and ban him WBA should sack him and come down hard on him even consider taking legal action against him.

This was a pre meditated decisoin to do that symbol knowing full well what it is deemed to mean by the general public even if his and his mates interpretation are slightly different.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:54 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Bromwich Albion have played down the severity of a dressing-room argument between their players after Saturday's 3-3 draw against Cardiff.

Tempers flared after relegation rivals Cardiff scored an injury-time equaliser at the Hawthorns on Saturday.

It has been claimed Baggies striker Saido Berahino suffered a head injury.

"Tensions were understandably running high in the dressing room, but the incident has been sensationalised in the media," said a club spokesman.

"What happened is not uncommon in a dressing room and shows that the players care.

"The players involved have apologised. The club has drawn a line under the matter and is now fully focusing on Saturday's important game at Norwich."

Was a bit silly from Berahino trying to cross the ball instead of heading for the corner with only a minute on the clock in a relegation dog fight but that is the inexperience of youth but you can imagine the senior guys in the dressing room wouldn't be happy but it doesn't excuse the fact that they didn't defend a cross properly to let Cardiff score.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:01 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom forward Saido Berahino has denied reports that he is considering taking legal action against a team-mate following a dressing room incident after Saturday's 3-3 draw with Cardiff.

Newspaper reports claimed West Brom players had traded blows after losing a stoppage-time goal to their fellow Premier League strugglers.

Albion played down the bust-up, and refuted claims that Berahino had suffered a head injury as team-mates traded blows.

A mistake from the England Under-21 striker, moments after West Brom had gone 3-2 ahead, led to Cardiff rescuing an unlikely point.

The club issued a statement from Berahino that read: "I am not taking legal action against any team-mate. I am only focusing on Saturday's game at Norwich."

Sporting and technical director Richard Garlick said: "As we stated on Tuesday, the Club has drawn a line under the matter.

"We have seven important games coming up and Saido, along with the rest of the squad, has a big part to play in them."

West Brom are lying in 17th place, three points better off than 18th-placed Cardiff, who have played one game more.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Pepe Mel has gone.

Think you can chalk that one up as an experiment that got a result but not quite the one they had hoped for.

They were so lucky to stay up this season need to improve that side in the summer or they'll be gone next season.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:39 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Tottenham manager Tim Sherwood has been interviewed for the head coach's job at West Brom and is on a shortlist of six for the position.

An appointment is expected by the end of the week, with all candidates due to have been interviewed by Tuesday.

Sherwood, 45, parted company with Spurs on 13 May, just five months after he replaced Andre Villas-Boas as manager.

West Brom finished 17th in the Premier League in 2013-14, and Pepe Mel left his role as head coach on 12 May.

The Spaniard was the Baggies' second head coach of the season, with Steve Clarke having departed in December after four successive defeats.

Sherwood, meanwhile, took charge at Tottenham on an interim basis on 16 December and was given the job full-time a week later.

The former Spurs midfielder led the club to a sixth-place finish and Europa League qualification, but left despite a top-flight win percentage of 59%, the best of any Tottenham boss in the Premier League.

His record impressed West Brom, as did his work with young players while working as technical co-ordinator at White Hart Lane.

BBC Sport's Pat Murphy said: "The job specification at The Hawthorns has not changed - the successful applicant will be head coach, not manager, working alongside Terry Burton and Richard Garlick in the sporting and technical department.

"Whoever gets the job will be able to bring in his own coaching staff."

Former Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino replaced Sherwood as Tottenham manager.

He's entertaining but not sure West Brom fans would take to him if he didn't get results quickly they'd get on his back because he's a bit of a kn*b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The former Tottenham head coach Tim Sherwood claims he turned down the chance to take over at West Brom as he was not happy with some of the terms. The club appointed the Everton academy chief Alan Irvine as Pepe Mel’s successor on Saturday but Sherwood, who was sacked by Spurs after a six-month spell, said he was initially offered the job.

“I went to speak to the chairman and the board there a couple of times and was happy with how the discussions were going,” he told TalkSport. “I was offered the job before we started to negotiate. It just wasn’t right for me in the end, so I decided to give it a miss.

“It is a fantastic club and it looked on the outside like it might be a perfect fit for me but unfortunately we couldn’t agree for me to move forward. I wish them all the best and Alan in particular, someone I played with a long time ago at Blackburn.”

Irvine accepted the job at The Hawthorns after agreeing to keep on the coaches Keith Downing and Dean Kiely, and Sherwood suggested that was one of the reasons he did not take up the offer.

“I don’t know Keith or Dean very well and I’ve got nothing against them,” he said. “I think it is important you take your own men in and I was looking to bring in a couple of guys who I trust and who I know. When you go into a club you haven’t got time to try and train someone to your own thinking. There were just a couple of ingredients missing which made me decide I wouldn’t take the gamble on it. I know my worth and I just want to wait for the right opportunity. I am sure it will come along.”

The 45-year-old, however, is sure he will be back managing in the Premier League again before long as he looks to prove a point after his brief spell at Spurs. “I am confident in my ability to be able to do the job,” he added.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Out-of-contract defender Joleon Lescott is having a medical at West Bromwich Albion, according to Sky sources.

The 31-year-old was deemed surplus to requirements by Premier League champions Manchester City at the end of last season and they decided not to offer a new deal.

Following City's final game of last season, the player wrote on Twitter: "A very emotional time for me after the game."

Lescott had been a target for Stoke City and Hull City but is undergoing a medical at The Hawthorns ahead of a potential two-year contract.

The England international played for the Baggies’ fierce rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers between 2000 and 2006 before a move to Everton, where new Baggies boss Alan Irvine had a coaching role at the time.

Mark Hughes bought Lescott for City for a fee of £22m in August 2009. He has won the FA Cup, the League Cup and two Premier League titles at Eastlands.

“There is an interest in Joleon and he is a player I know well,” Irvine told a media conference on Wednesday.

“I obviously worked with him at Everton and I remember there were a number of times we watched him.

“Coincidentally, I saw him towards the end of the season when Manchester City played Everton. I had a chat with him then but, of course, I didn’t know any of this was happening at the time.”

Tuesday Hull
Wednesday Stoke
Thursday West Brom

Friday Real Madrid???

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
England defender Joleon Lescott has completed his medical and signed for West Brom on a free transfer.

The centre-back’s Manchester City contract is due to expire at the end of June and he will officially join the Baggies after that.

Lescott had been a target for Stoke City and Hull City but has now agreed a two-year contract with West Brom, who recently named Alan Irvine as their new manager.

The England international played for the Baggies’ fierce rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers between 2000 and 2006 before a move to Everton, where Irvine had a coaching role at the time.

"I'm delighted we've been able to agree a deal with Joleon," said Irvine. "He's an England international and a proven Premier League player, who has been at the top level for a number of years.

"He's got Premier League and cup medals to his name and has had a fantastic career so far.

"When we realised he was available and there was a realistic chance of getting him here we started to work very hard on it.

"Full credit to the board and everyone at the club for getting this done as quickly and effectively as they did.

"I know Joleon and the type of personality and character he is, in addition to knowing what he can do as a player.

"He's a great professional and he will add to a number of very good professionals who are already in the squad."

Lescott, 31, has made 538 career appearances and scored 39 goals.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Fulham defender Chris Baird has become West Brom’s third signing of the summer.

Baird has signed a one-year contract, which includes a further performance-related 12-month option, with the Premier League club.

The 32-year-old was available on a free transfer following the completion of a two-month contract at Burnley, where he helped the team secure a place in the top flight.

Baird, who has eight years of Premier League experience, has been capped 65 times for Northern Ireland and can play as a full-back, centre-back or defensive midfielder.

West Brom head coach Alan Irvine said: “I’d like to officially welcome Chris to the club.

“Chris is a player with vast Premier League and international experience who reads the game well and has good positional sense.

“He can play in several positions and his versatility effectively makes your squad bigger. It’s important we have the right characters in the dressing room and Chris is certainly that.

“We have done our homework on him. I have spoken to a lot of different people who have either managed or played with Chris and everyone spoke very, very highly of him both as a player and a person.”

Baird will train with his new team-mates, including recent arrivals Joleon Lescott and Craig Gardner, for the first time on Monday.

Albion’s technical director Terry Burton said: “We see Chris as an ideal addition to the squad we are building for the new season.

“The great thing about Chris is that he can provide competition and cover for so many positions, particularly at full-back, where we’re still looking to strengthen both at left and right-back.”

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next