AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:23 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Post subject: Re: West Brom - Boing Boing Baggies
PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Worth pointing out that Spurs did a lot of business early this summer Berahino was a last minute plung but they had been trying for weeks to get him they just didn't want to pay what West Brom wanted which is fair enough.

Berahino clearly has a bit of an attitude on him and what he tweeted was stupid and if you believe the rumours a few years back he was knocked out in the dressing room by one of the senior pros because he was mouthing off after a bad performance.

He is probably their best player and if Spurs want him they need to accept they will have to pay the young English talent mark up.

Benteke went this summer for £30m and the rumours are that is what WBA wanted from Spurs which doesn't seem that unreasonable given the way prices have rocketed this summer.

Berahino now needs to get his head down get back in the team and either hope that Spurs come back in January with proper bids I know he used to have the same agent as Sterling but I think he ditched him but like the Sterling move it was all very public and very messy. I can't see the fans being very forgiving with him when he does come back

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I don't think it was the price offered that stopped the deal going through. I think it was the timing and structure. They wanted to pay £5m upfront. I know all deals are structured now days but there is usually a bulk starting fee.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
I don't think it was the price offered that stopped the deal going through. I think it was the timing and structure. They wanted to pay £5m upfront. I know all deals are structured now days but there is usually a bulk starting fee.

I got the impression West Brom weren't happy with the size of the bid or the structure of it.

I think Spurs took a punt and hoped West Brom would panic and sell especially with Berahino kicking up a stink but fair play they stood firm

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:31 am 
Major General
Major General

From what i read Spurs splitted 22-24m into 4 years which didnt go down with baggies. It was unique window where club like Baggies and then Everton rejected 36m bid ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:31 am 
Major General
Major General

From what i read Spurs splitted 22-24m into 4 years which didnt go down with baggies. It was unique window where club like Baggies and then Everton rejected 36m bid ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Saido Berahino is set to stay at West Bromwich Albion, with the Baggies not now likely to sell this month.

Tottenham and Newcastle are interested in the striker, but with no club getting close to the chairman Jeremy Peace’s valuation of the 22-year-old it is understood the Baggies do not expect to receive an acceptable offer.

Albion rejected four bids from Spurs in the summer, which led to Berahino threatening to strike, with their final bid rising to £23m.

The England Under-21 international has scored just four goals in 19 games this term and has not started a match since October, after netting 20 times last season.

Last month the head coach Tony Pulis said Berahino was lucky to be on the bench for their 1-0 win over Newcastle because of behind-the-scenes issues, with the forward’s timekeeping understood to be a problem.

Berahino will have one year left on his contract in the summer when Albion might entertain fresh offers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 3:16 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Berahino needs to get out of that club to kick start his career. He seems to have burnt a few bridges with how he acted in the summer and rather than get his head down and go out and almost force a club to come and buy him, he seems to have shied away a bit. Obviously this is just my impression of events and could be completely wrong and unfair on him.

West Brom probably could do with negotiating a bit rather than demanding big bucks. They could do with the money to reinvest, I think that's what Pulis is hoping for.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:01 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace has agreed a deal to sell the club to a Chinese investment group led by entrepreneur Guochuan Lai.

Former Blackburn chief executive John Williams will replace Peace, who has been chairman for 14 years.

"My immediate priorities will be to maintain the club's stable structure, respecting its well-run nature and its heritage," said Lai.

"I have no intention of changing the club's ethos."

He added: "I believe that we have a competitive team, with the right management and coaching staff in place."

Entrepreneur Lai, 42, oversaw the growth of landscaping company Palm in his home country before retiring in May 2014 to focus on private investment.

Palm, which was valued at £1.8bn on the Chinese stock exchange, has contributed to the takeover.

The deal was agreed in June and is dependent on approval from the Financial Conduct Authority and the Premier League.

Fellow Midlands clubs Aston Villa and Wolves have also been taken over by Chinese investors this summer.

3rd club in last 3 months from the midlands to be bought by Chinese investors pretty sure Birmingham were owned by Chinese at one point they must love it there :laugh:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2016 6:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tony Pulis fears West Bromwich Albion are “stagnating” and urged the club to capitalise on the opportunity presented by their recent takeover by investing in new players before the summer transfer window closes at the end of August.

It was announced last week that a Chinese group led by investor Guochuan Lai had agreed a deal with former chairman Jeremy Peace to buy the club. The former Blackburn chairman John Williams has since succeeded Peace, and Pulis has called on him and the Yunyi Guokai (Shanghai) Sports Development Limited group to invest in new players.

Under Peace they had been among the most prudently-run clubs in the Premier League, spending far less than Pulis was used to while manager of Stoke City.

Pulis’s side won their opening Premier League match of the season against Crystal Palace thanks to Salomón Rondón’s second-half header, but the manager said afterwards: “The club has had, and still has, a lot of players who have been here for a long time.

“They’ve been fantastic players, fantastic servants, but they need competition, they need people who can play in that team and want to be in that team. That’s what this club needs.

“I’ve been here now 22 months. It’s been one of the things I’ve said – the club has almost stagnated, and it really needs to get on its front foot. It’s the only club in the West Midlands this year that’s in the Premier League, has fantastic support, and the supporters and everybody around the place – we need a little bit of impetus.

“We’re trying to do business, we need to do business, and we’ll go from there. Hopefully we’ll get it in the next two weeks. It’s a big two weeks for me and the football club.”

Last week the Baggies joined Palace in pursuit of the Liverpool striker Christian Benteke but the Anfield club are holding out for a figure around the £32.5m mark they paid for the Belgian last year.

As for the former England Under-21 forward Saido Berahino, who has repeatedly been linked with a move away from the Hawthorns, Pulis said: “We won’t let Saido go, the club will not let him go until someone comes in.

“We have to get him back to where he was in my first year here, when he was the main reason we survived. We lost him last year but if we can get him back, he and Rondón will be a handful for any team.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Bromwich Albion are poised to break their transfer record to sign Nacer Chadli from Tottenham Hotspur after the clubs reached an agreement about a permanent move. Chadli is set to undergo a medical at West Brom on Monday in a deal worth around £13m, with the Belgium international expected to be the first of several signings made in a frantic few days before the transfer window closes.

Chadli’s pace and creativity are just what Albion need to give everyone at the club a lift after a frustrating summer in the transfer market. Albion have made only one permanent signing in this window – Matty Phillips from Queens Park Rangers – and Sunday’s goalless draw at home against Middlesbrough underlined the weaknesses in their squad.

Signed from FC Twente for £7m in 2013, Chadli made 40 appearances for Spurs last season in all competitions but more than half of those were from the bench. This season the 27-year-old has not featured for Spurs or even been named among the substitutes, forcing him to look elsewhere in search of first-team football.

Tony Pulis, the Albion manager, is targeting four other players before 11pm on Wednesday, with another striker likely to be a priority if Saido Berahino departs. Stoke City are expected to make a renewed attempt to sign the out-of-favour forward on Monday in a deal that could be worth up to £20m.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Saido Berahino has been put on a special training regime by West Bromwich Albion following concerns about his weight and fitness.

The 23-year-old striker was left out of Albion's squad for the 1-1 draw at home to Spurs on Saturday.

Berahino is believed to have been several pounds overweight after tests two weeks ago during the international break, and has now been put on a personal fitness programme.

It is not clear whether the England forward will return to the bench for West Brom's next game against Liverpool at Anfield on Saturday.

Berahino has struggled with weight issues over the past two seasons, especially after he fell out with former chairman Jeremy Peace over his failed transfer to Tottenham on September 1 2015.

He sat out a number of matches towards the end of that summer's transfer window and started only 17 Premier League games in total last season, appearing off the bench in a further 14.

Berahino was the subject of bids from Stoke City in the most recent window but remained at the Hawthorns, and has made only three starts for the club so far this term.

Looked a real talent when he first broke through but his career has really one stale over last 2 season

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:04 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tony Pulis has signed a one-year contract extension as West Brom boss, extending his deal at The Hawthorns through to 2018.

The 58-year-old Welshman arrived at the club in January 2015 and has guided the Baggies to 13th and 14th-place finishes in the Premier League.

The club was sold to a Chinese investment group in September.

"This is a time of great change at Albion and when that happens you need continuity," said Pulis.

"I want to build things here and play my part in improving the club. You cannot do these things overnight but I do believe, step by step, we are making advances.

"I think the bulk of our fans understand the process we embarked upon under the shadow of relegation less than two years ago."

How many years of Pulis-Ball can one set of fans take?

There is a point where just doing everything you can to survive wears you down a bit surely being a bit up and down for fans of these clubs is more exciting as it's not like being a prem club means they get to see quality players coming to West Brom.

What's the plan to take them forward? How are they going to go from a club in mid table to challenging for a Europa League spot?

All these Prem clubs seem to lack that ambition or seem prepared to take a longer view of things and take a chance which I understand because they're all owned by foreign investors who want the short term security of that TV money every season.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom striker Saido Berahino says he is in a positive frame of mind despite being sent back to a conditioning camp in France.

He last played in September and was put on a training regime after being ruled unfit and overweight.

"I have had a good, constructive talk with Tony and the senior management and we all agree this is the best way forward for me," said the 23-year-old.

Baggies boss Tony Pulis has said that Berahino is "close" to a return.

The former England Under-21 international's form has suffered since he reacted angrily to a bid from Tottenham being turned down on transfer deadline day in summer 2015.

He scored seven times in 35 games last season, compared to 20 goals in 45 appearances in 2014-15, after threatening to not play for club chairman Jeremy Peace.

"This last year has been the most difficult of my career and it has left me short of the form and fitness required for the Premier League," said Berahino.

"I have never been a player who lacked confidence or a belief in himself but that has been where I have found myself and it has hit me hard.

"It has left me feeling depressed and struggling for focus which has made it even more difficult to regain full fitness."

In a statement, the club said it hopes the "change of environment" at the camp in the south of France will help Berahino return to full fitness.

West Brom host Burnley in the Premier League on Monday with full commentary available on BBC Radio 5 live from 20:00 GMT.

Sounds to me like the guys head has just gone completly he believed in his own hype and the people around him probably need to have a look at themselves as you wonder if they're acting in his best interests of for personal gain.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Stoke City have made a formal bid to buy West Bromwich Albion striker Saido Berahino, according to Sky sources.

There is so far no indication of the value of the Stoke bid, but we understand it is less than the £20m offer from Tottenham made 18 months ago.

That offer was rejected, as was a similar bid from Stoke last summer.

Berahino has not played for Albion since September and was sent to a training camp in France last month to improve his fitness. The 23-year-old hasn't scored a Premier League goal since February last year, having previously struck 20 times in the 2014/15 campaign.

Despite that, he has attracted constant interest from other sides since first showing signs of wanting to leave The Hawthorns.

Newcastle are another side who tried to secure the forward last January but their package, which would have seen them pay £21m up front, was thrown out.

More recently, Watford attempted to secure Berahino before this season began but were also rebuffed.

Leicester are another side who have shown interest in the past, although that was dependent on Jamie Vardy leaving for Arsenal and he instead signed a new deal at the King Power Stadium.

Berahino was offered a new contract for the third time by West Brom last month despite making just five appearances this season but he has so far refused to sign it.

His present deal expires at the end of the season and if he leaves then, the club will be entitled to a development fee from whoever he plays for next.

Where the player goes next could be crucial, however, and if he chooses to move abroad he could do so with West Brom receiving very little for him.

Manager Tony Pulis appears to be growing increasingly wary of the saga and said last week: "The club has offered him a new contract not just this week, but in previous months too.

"They've been in negotiations with Saido, so we'll just see how that pans out. The deals have been on the table for the boy and his agent - we'll see how that pans out.

"Again, we've hit the funny month. He's only got one more month left of this if he doesn't sign, so that's probably a bonus for me.

"If we sell him we will work very, very hard to get a replacement in. If we don't sell him, we'll have to work very, very hard to get him back to what he was 18 months ago."

There was once a talented footballer here but he's almost totally dissapeared off the map in the last 18 months he's apparently been sent to various training camps this season to try and get him fit but apart from when the transfer window is open we here nothing of him.

He needs to leave and get a fresh start there's obviously stuff behind the scenes between player/agent and manager/chairman going on.

Take what you can get with 6 months on his deal based on his age you can probably still get £5-10m for him as that's what they'd likely get from the tribunal it would be similar to what Liverpool ended up paying for Ings which I think was around £7m. He's not going to play for WBA again they're not really in a relegation scrap bank the money and move on try and re-invest that money in the club and let him be someone elses problem.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Bromwich Albion have made a £10m offer for the Hull City midfielder Jake Livermore.

It is understood that the Baggies are chasing the 27-year-old after missing out on Morgan Schneiderlin to Everton.

Tony Pulis, the West Brom head coach, is keen to add quality to his squad as they try to maintain a surprise challenge for Europa League qualification.

Livermore was a late substitute in Hull’s 3-1 win against Bournemouth, Marco Silva’s first Premier League game since taking charge of the east Yorkshire club.

One of the new manager’s first tasks will be to help try to keep former Tottenham Hotspur player Livermore or cash in with Hull battling relegation.

Livermore, who joined from Spurs in 2014, has made 25 appearances for Hull this season and 104 in total.

Hull are third from bottom in the Premier League and only in the relegation zone on goal difference following the win against Bournemouth on Saturday, which was their first in the league since November.

West Brom have money to spend this month although are the club are keen to avoid a late transfer scramble ahead of the deadline on 31 January. They made an offer of around £18m for Schneiderlin but he joined Everton from Manchester United in a deal worth £24m.

There was also interest in Jeff Schlupp, having had two bids rejected in the summer, but the Ghana international moved to Crystal Palace from Leicester City for around £12m last week. West Brom had doubts over paying the fee having already had a £12m offer turned down last year.

They will only make a move for a striker if Saido Berahino leaves this month with Stoke City, who have previously offered £20m in talks with the Baggies for the striker, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

Pulis has guided West Brom to eighth in the Premier League although they were beaten 4-0 at Tottenham on Saturday.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom boss Tony Pulis admitted he was staggered by the decision to stage a round of Premier League fixtures on the same day as the transfer window closing.

January 31 is often a hectic time for clubs as they look to tie up signings that could make a difference for the rest of the season but several top-flight managers were forced to divert attention away from the transfer market to focus on their latest match.

Pulis was able to complete the loan signing of defender Marc Wilson before the 11pm deadline – after watching his Baggies side claim a 1-1 draw at Middlesbrough – but he could not see the reasoning for having to play a game on such a pivotal day.

He said: “The window for me is crazy. I’d go back to the open market, it is just a crazy situation. To have it on the final day and arrange games is just astonishing really.”

Pulis’ side took the lead inside six minutes at a wet and windy Riverside when former Boro academy product James Morrison rifled home a first-time shot after the hosts had failed to clear their lines.

But the former Stoke manager was disappointed by the decision to award Middlesbrough a penalty 11 minutes later after Gareth McAuley lunged in and brought down Marten de Roon, with Alvaro Negredo slotting home.

Nevertheless, Pulis felt his team would have been worthy winners after Matt Phillips and Salomon Rondon struck opposite posts in the space of seconds – although their opponents dominated possession and could have nicked all three points themselves.

“We started well, we got the nice early goal to settle us down,” Pulis said. “I don’t think it’s a penalty looking at it in slow motion, I think Gareth does touch the ball but Gareth shouldn’t have slid in anyway, the kid was going away from goal.

“And that changed it a little bit and knocked us back in the first half. But second half I felt we were the team that were eventually going to win the game.

“We created two great opportunities. We had the opportunities and the chances.”

The signing of Wilson from Bournemouth until the end of the season provides Pulis with some defensive cover following the injury to Jonny Evans – who has missed Albion’s last four matches with a calf complaint but could be back for the clash against Stoke at the weekend.

Pulis said: “We’re hoping Jonny will be fit for Stoke on Saturday. But if Jonny misses out and one of our centre-halves gets injured then Marc can slot into there. We haven’t got anyone else really.”

Yeah it's rubbish when actual football gets in the way of transfers.

All you can say is you've had a month to sort your sh*t out if clubs actually started being a bit more professional they wouldn't be rushing around like a p*sshead at 3am trying to pull anything in a skirt.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6