Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: West Brom - Boing Boing Baggies
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:15 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
A West Bromwich Albion footballer has been given a suspended sentence for throwing punches in a nightclub.

Joe Mattock, 20, had earlier admitted a charge of affray over the attack on two men and two women at the Liquid Envy club in Leicester on 30 August 2009.

Leicester Crown Court heard the player had been given "grief" over a transfer from Leicester City.

He was given 10 months detention, suspended for two years, and ordered to do 150 hours of unpaid work.

'King's ransom'

He was also told to pay £1,500 costs.

Judge Michael Pert QC told the footballer: "The plain fact of the matter is you were earning what most people would regard as a king's ransom.

"If the price of that is to take some stick in a nightclub in your home city when you had left Leicester for another club, frankly you should have been able to handle it."

Mattock, who has been capped five times by England Under-21s, joined Premier League Albion from his home town club for an undisclosed fee in August 2009.

I know your average footballer is an arrogant little so and so but do you not think that these comments by the judge are wrong? This isn't a 30 year old who should know better he's 20 years old and while he should be aware of his responsibility why should he be expected to stand their and take abuse on a night out just because of his job? He probably still earns less than the judge who is trying to take some sort of moral high ground over salaries.

Not trying to condone his actions they were wrong and the sentence is about right but this judge makes it sound like it's his own fault just because he happens to be a footballer.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: West Brom footballer given suspended sentence
PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:13 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
JSP wrote:
I know your average footballer is an arrogant little so and so but do you not think that these comments by the judge are wrong? This isn't a 30 year old who should know better he's 20 years old and while he should be aware of his responsibility why should he be expected to stand their and take abuse on a night out just because of his job? He probably still earns less than the judge who is trying to take some sort of moral high ground over salaries.

Not trying to condone his actions they were wrong and the sentence is about right but this judge makes it sound like it's his own fault just because he happens to be a footballer.

Think the judge is just right, pointing out that as a highly paid professional, and there's the key word, professional sportsman he should have known there'd be some banter/hassle if he went back to his home town after leaving their club in bad circumstances... didn't he infuriate the manager and fans and blamed another player for his rush to leave? Was always gunna get grief comments made and should have known better. He might only be 20 but he's not your average young man, and he can afford to take advice and rise above such fans things. And he attacked 4 people, so it's not like it's a minor transgression. If footballer's reacted every time a fan said something they didn't like there'd be public carnage! lol

On the flip side, of course he [probably] didn't deserve any grief but reacting like that was still a mistake. Like the judge said, if the price for his status and wealth is going to draw comments he's still being more than adequately compensated. Don't think you can live in the spotlight and avoid it completely, something Mattock knows very well... or should do.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:36 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Ridiculous thing for the judge to say to be honest.

Doesn't matter whether you earn 1p or £1m a week, doesn't mean you should change the way you are to suit.

It's like years ago, my uncle was having a go at Scholes, because in an interview he seemed shy/quiet.. "All that money he's on blabla should be able to do an interview" .. regardless of Scholes' wages, it's not going to change how shy he is infront of camera.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 3:03 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Highscores: 1
I Don't know for sure about English law but in Belgiam there's a rule that stipulates that everyone should get an equal treatment, regardless of social factors.
I assume the same counts in England, as it's one the fundamental basics of law.

If you look at what the judge told the footballer in his verdict, you should ask yourself whether Mattock would have gotten a different sentence had he not been earning such a significant amount of money.

Everyone should get an equal treatment, especially in court. Just because someone is wealthy doesn't mean they should get a harsher sentence.

This verdict seems very biased to me.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:22 pm 
General
General

Fresti wrote:
I Don't know for sure about English law but in Belgiam there's a rule that stipulates that everyone should get an equal treatment, regardless of social factors.

I'm not sure exactly what English law says, but the rich and famous quite often are treated very differently and get off with a lot more for precious little punishment. for nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:25 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

If he had a lick o' sense, he wouldn't have frequented that sh*itehole of a nightclub, anyway. It's had many names over the door through the years - and all have not been without incident. :no:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:34 pm 
General
General

Willie Eckerslike wrote:
If he had a lick o' sense, he wouldn't have frequented that sh*itehole of a nightclub, anyway. It's had many names over the door through the years - and all have not been without incident. :no:

Exactly, the guys supposed to be a professional... you can't go drinking with your ex-fans and expect nothing to happen, and if that's not fair I'm sure his massive pile of cash will make help him cope.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:50 am 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Don't think that's really up for debate, no he shouldn't have gone there, and no he shouldn't have reacted.

But the judge saying that just because he's on xxx amount of money, so he should act differently to any normal human being is ridiculous.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

was he not out on a night out with his mates? maybe his mates were from leicester and wanted to go out their he should be able to go out their without getting abused by fans.

I didn't realise this was just after his transfer which had left a sour taste and i'm not defending his actions I just don't think the judge should be commenting on the fact that he's a footballer when really he's just like any other idiot who can't handle their beer and swings a few punches in a nightclub. He's 20 years old he's going to make mistakes.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:05 pm 
General
General

Reedo wrote:
Don't think that's really up for debate, no he shouldn't have gone there, and no he shouldn't have reacted.

But the judge saying that just because he's on xxx amount of money, so he should act differently to any normal human being is ridiculous.

It's not just the money Reedo, it's what comes with it - being a public figure - which (in the eyes of the judge at least) carries with it certain responsibilities and expectations. Like not being daft enough to have a night out round Leicester given his situation and everyone knowing about it.

If he'd thought about it he could have guessed what might happen and gone somewhere else, but I don't think it's that big a deal... like JSP said he's only 20 and he'd had a few to drink no doubt and we all make mistakes.

All that said, I think it's ridiculous that he can't go out for a drink with his mates - something is very wrong with society when a footballer becomes a hate figure for purely footballing reasons... and that's not his fault at all.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
see Cantona

imo. no-one should have to take 'extra' criticism because of their job

Matthew Simmons' behaviour was not excused because Cantona was a 'special case'.... what Cantona did was wrong but he was unacceptably provoked

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Post subject: Re: Boing Boing Baggies
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

West Bromwich Albion have signed Birmingham goalkeeper Ben Foster on a season-long loan, while Boaz Myhill has moved in the opposite direction.

Foster, 28, arrives at The Hawthorns following Scott Carson's move to Turkish side Bursaspor.

"We are very, very happy that the deal to bring Ben from Birmingham has gone through," said Albion boss Roy Hodgson.

Myhill, 28, joined West Brom from Blackpool in July 2010 and played 11 games for the Baggies last season.

Foster joined Birmingham from Manchester United for £6m last summer and helped Blues win the Carling Cup - but was unable to stop them being relegated from the Premier League.

He could make his Baggies debut in Saturday's pre-season clash at Bristol City.

Hodgson added: "He was always the goalkeeper that we targeted as our number one choice for the season and we are hoping he will be as successful here as he has been with his previous clubs.

"We are confident Ben is the goalkeeper we need to help us enjoy a successful season in the Premier League."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:57 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

I think its a good signing this one!! Scott Carson was very dodgy at times and Foster is a class keeper!! Its pobably the first year that the baggies have been in the premiership when i dont expect them to go down!

I couldn't settle in Italy – it was like living in a foreign country
- Ian Rush,

I never comment on referees and I'm not going to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat – Ron Atkinson

jc - here for the livescores and premier league players

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

West Brom have finally signed Reading striker Shane Long for an undisclosed fee - believed to be around £6.5million - the club have confirmed.

Long has put pen to paper on an initial three-year contract with the option for a further 12 months.

He becomes Baggies head coach Roy Hodgson's sixth signing of the summer with the fee understood to be an initial £4.5million, rising to a possible £6.5million with add-ons.

Long is currently on international duty with the Republic of Ireland, preparing for Wednesday's clash with Croatia in Dublin.

But he will be in contention to make his West Brom debut in Sunday's Premier League clash with Manchester United at The Hawthorns.

Albion announced the deal after the results of Long's medical proved positive. He becomes their sixth signing of the close season but the first for whom they have paid a transfer fee.

Billy Jones, Gareth McAuley, Zoltan Gera and Marton Fulop were Bosman transfers while Ben Foster signed on a season-long loan from Birmingham.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

10:42 West Brom boss Roy Hodgson has confirmed offering a contract to Owen Hargreaves, who was released from the Reds at the end of last season.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:33 pm 
General
General

He said their eminent doctor checked the knee and it's fine and he's fit to play football.

Sure I've heard that somewhere before. :think:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:45 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

West Brom's Gabriel Tamas has been charged with violent conduct over the clash which left Norwich's James Vaughan needing hospital treatment.

The Football Association took action over the incident which occurred late in the Baggies' 1-0 Premier League win at Carrow Road on Sunday.

Albion defender Tamas was given until 6pm on Tuesday to respond to the charge, which would carry an automatic three-match ban if accepted.

The 27-year-old Romanian caught Vaughan with an elbow to the face during a stoppage-time corner, something Norwich boss Paul Lambert insisted should have brought a penalty.

He added: "James has gone to see the plastic surgeon. It's a bad one. It has gone straight through the lip and they can't just stitch it up."

Former Everton striker Vaughan later wrote on Twitter: "Back home! plastic surgeon sorted me out! think i will have 2 bite my lip over the 'incident' o wait already done that!"

West Brom manager Roy Hodgson defended Tamas, saying he was "100% convinced it is unintentional".

He added: "It does not make it any better for Vaughan whether you have got caught intentionally or accidentally - it is still a painful blow."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Loveable old Uncle Woy Hodgson threw a bit of a ‘rage quit sh!t fit’ after Cisse clonked home Newcastle’s third goal against West Brom yesterday afternoon, tearing off his black armband and throwing on the ground.

Which is all well and good, in that it showed the veteran Baggies’ manager still has the fight, etc – the only problem being that the players were sporting the armbands as a mark of respect given the recent death of club legend Ray Barlow, the man for whom the pre-match minute’s applause was conducted.

You see the issue here.

Hodgson has since issued a formal apology to Barlow’s family – admitting that he wasn’t thinking about the significance of his actions as he flew into a tizzy:

“It is something I did without thinking out of pure frustration at conceding the third goal.

“I meant no disrespect by it to such a great player, nor his family, and offer my sincere apologies if it has caused offence.”

There we go, Roy Hodgson is not some awful depraved grave-p!sser and all is well with the world

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Roy Hodgson will be offered the biggest managerial contract in West Bromwich's history to keep him at the Hawthorns.

Hodgson's current deal expires at the end of the season and the Baggies want him to commit to a deal worth £3million a year.

England ambition: But West Brom will break the bank to keep Hodgson

It is a huge reward for Hodgson and is way above the £1.5m-a-year deals that most managers operating on mid-table budgets are offered.

The former Liverpool chief has so far delayed talks on an extension and is waiting for the FA to make a move on the next England manager.

If Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp turns down the FA's offer, Hodgson is among a number of names next on the list.

On target: The Baggies were beaten 2-0 by Everton on Saturday

He kept West Bromwich in the Barclays Premier League last season and they are within sight of safety again this year.

First choice: Redknapp

Hodgson will be offered a basic salary of £2.5m a year at the Hawthorns, plus a £500,000 bonus to keep the team in the Premier League.

He has never made any secret of his desire to coach England and wants the chance to be interviewed for the position by the FA.

Although he accepts Redknapp is likely to be first choice, Hodgson is prepared to wait for those talks to play out before committing his future to West Bromwich.

Hodgson's star fell when he was fired by Liverpool in 2011 after just six months at Anfield.

He had led Fulham to the Europa League final the season before and was among the list of names circulated as a potential long-term replacement for Fabio Capello.

Since returning to the Premier League with West Bromwich he has established them as a top-flight team and chairman Jeremy Peace is determined to keep him.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Albion anticipate Hodgson will accept the chance to become the successor to Fabio Capello with talks planned on Monday with the Football Association.

Hughton came close to replacing Roberto Di Matteo at the Hawthorns 15 months ago after being sacked by Newcastle and was interviewed for the post before Hodgson was chosen.

But he has further enhanced his reputation since taking charge of Birmingham last summer.

Despite losing most of last season's relegated squad, and financial restraints, Hughton has guided Blues into the Championship play-offs.

Compensation would be an issue and Birmingham will be keen to hold on to Hughton after Alex McLeish quit last summer to join Aston Villa.

It is believed the Baggies are also considering former coach Michael Appleton - now manager at Portsmouth - and Bristol City boss and former Albion midfielder Derek McInnes.

Alan Curbishley, former Birmingham boss Steve Bruce, Cardiff's Malky Mackay and Charlton's Chris Powell are also potential candidates

ImageImage
Quote: