AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: West Brom - Boing Boing Baggies
PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Belgium defender Sébastien Pocognoli has joined West Bromwich Albion on a three-year contract from Hannover. The Baggies announced on Saturday they had paid an undisclosed fee for the 26-year-old left-back whoses chances of going to the World Cup were ended by injury.

The 12-cap international has also played for Genk, AZ Alkmaar and Standard Liège. He is the new manager Alan Irvine’s fourth summer signing and replaces Billy Jones, who signed for Sunderland. “Sébastien is an experienced left-back who has played at a high level for many years,” Irvine said.

“After being named in Belgium’s provisional World Cup squad, he just missed out on Brazil, mainly because he hadn’t played enough games towards the end of the season. But he’s joined us with a real hunger to prove himself at Albion and get back into the international set-up.”

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:40 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom have signed the Nigeria striker Brown Ideye from Dynamo Kiev for a club-record fee believed to be around £10m.

The 25-year-old has signed a three-year contract with the option of another year and becomes the Baggies’ fifth new arrival of the summer.

“Brown is a quality striker and I’m looking forward to working with him,” said the new head coach, Alan Irvine.

“He’s a strong, quick, powerful player who likes to get in behind defences and has plenty of Champions League and international experience.”

The 25-year-old forward arrives at The Hawthorns with an impressive record, having scored 74 goals in 182 career league appearances.

Brown has scored five goals in 24 appearances for Nigeria and was called up to their 2010 World Cup squad in South Africa.

West Brom’s technical director, Terry Burton, said: “When I arrived at Albion the recruitment department flagged Brown up as the man at the top of their wish list.

“It is a fantastic signing because of the quality and the potential of the player. I can see that he really wants to be here and that he really wants to be playing in the Premier League.”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom have completed the signing of Georgios Samaras on a two-year deal. The striker has joined on a free transfer but will not play in Saturday’s Premier League game at Southampton.

He was available after leaving Celtic in the summer following six years in Glasgow. Málaga and Southampton were interested in the 29-year-old, who joined Celtic from Manchester City in 2008, but West Brom were Samaras’ first choice.

“We’ve signed a player with vast experience and I’m delighted to welcome Sami to the club,” Alan Irvine told the club’s website. He has played a lot of football at the highest levels – Champions League, European Championships and World Cups – and the feedback we’ve got on him, from people like Neil Lennon, states he thrives on the big occasion.

“He will certainly play in plenty of those in the Premier League. Georgios has played in big games for a Celtic team that have often had a lot of the ball and have had to work hard to break the opposition down. But he has also shown another side to his game in other matches when they haven’t seen as much of the ball.”

Samaras joins £10m club record signing Brown Ideye at The Hawthorns and, with Saido Berahino and Victor Anichebe available, Irvine is pleased with his attacking options.

“We have now got four strikers with different qualities who can be used in different ways,” the head coach said. “That’s great for us, because we need to have flexibility, the option to approach games in different ways and cover for injuries. I’m absolutely delighted with the four strikers we have.”

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Bromwich Albion and England striker Saido Berahino is to be questioned after being arrested for drink-driving.

The footballer was stopped on the M6 near junction 20 for Lymm, Cheshire, just before 04:00 BST on 22 October.

Two days previously, Berahino had scored in the 2-2 draw against Manchester United.

A police spokeswoman said the 21-year-old's car had been travelling at "high speed" on the southbound carriageway.

The star is due to return to a Cheshire police station for questioning early in December.

You would think a Premiership footballer could either afford a hotel for the night or a car to take them home if they want to have a drink.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom are in talks with Tony Pulis and Tim Sherwood about their vacant manager's job.

The news comes after Albion sacked Alan Irvine, 56, on Monday with the club 16th in the Premier League.

Ex-Spurs manager Sherwood, 45, was interviewed for the West Brom manager's job before Irvine was appointed in June 2014 to replace Spaniard Pepe Mel.

Pulis, 56, guided Crystal Palace to Premier League safety last season before leaving that role in August.

He took over at Selhurst Park in November 2013 with the Eagles in the bottom three, but took Palace to a finishing position of 11th, 12 points above the relegation zone.

However, Pulis left before the start of the season as he did not want to work under a structure that saw Palace chairman Steve Parish and then sporting director Iain Moody take responsibility for transfers.

It is understood Pulis will only consider taking the West Brom position if he is given control of transfers.

West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace's current approach sees technical director Terry Burton work with sporting director Richard Garlick to recruit players.

Former Stoke boss Pulis is prepared to work alongside Burton and Garlick, but wants the final say on whether to sign players.

Sherwood, who captained Blackburn to the Premier League title in 1994-95, spent five months in charge of Tottenham from December 2013 to May 2014 in his only other managerial job.

He was a candidate for the West Brom role in June, but the move broke down when he asked to bring in his own coaching staff.

Albion are a point above the relegation zone following Sunday's 2-0 defeat at Stoke, their seventh loss in nine games.

Rob Kelly, who was Irvine's assistant head coach, is scheduled to take charge of West Brom's first team, along with Keith Downing, for the Premier League game at West Ham on 1 January.

The Baggies then host Conference Premier side Gateshead in the third round of the FA Cup on 3 January.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:52 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paul Jewell has contacted his lawyers following his sudden departure from West Brom after just a week.

Jewell left the Premier League club on Tuesday after being appointed assistant head coach by new manager Tony Pulis.

West Brom said the former Bradford, Wigan and Derby boss, 50, had decided not to continue "his recent assistance on a more formal basis".

But Jewell told BBC Sport his exit was "not by mutual consent" and the matter is now in the hands of his lawyers.

Didn't even realise he'd popped up again

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 10:53 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Bromwich Albion are expected to sign Wigan winger Callum McManaman for around £4.75m on Wednesday.

The Latics previously rejected an offer of around £4m from the Premier League side for the 23-year-old.

McManaman is Wigan's joint top-scorer this season with five goals in his 23 appearances and is contracted to the club until 2017.

BBC Sport's Pat Murphy says McManaman has been Tony Pulis' main target in the January transfer window.

After his release by Everton, Huyton-born McManaman joined Wigan in 2007 and had a loan spell at Blackpool before his first-team breakthrough at the DW Stadium.

He was named man of the match when the Latics beat Manchester City in the 2013 FA Cup final.

Was surprised one of the mid table clubs didn't pick him up when Wigan went down

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:56 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom striker Saido Berahino does not believe fans will begrudge him "going on to bigger things" if he keeps the club in the Premier League.

Berahino, who has scored 14 goals for West Brom this season, received his first England call-up in November and is expected to add to his representative tally again this year.

But the 21-year-old – who had been linked to a £25m move to Liverpool or Tottenham in the January transfer window – said he would be ready to “push on” after securing Albion’s Premier League status.

His current contract at The Hawthorns runs until June 2017, but the striker has turned down an extension offer.

“I’ve got to stay focused on what I’m doing right now, which is scoring the goals and keeping West Brom in the Premier League,” Berahino told Sky Sports News HQ.

“If I can keep them in the Premier League and score as many goals as I can, I’m pretty sure the fans wouldn’t mind me pushing on and going on to bigger things.”

West Brom were set to bring in striker Carlton Cole to join Berahino up front, but the 18-month £500,000 move – for which Cole had already agreed terms and competed a medical – fell through at the eleventh hour.

One addition boss Tony Pulis did manage to make was Manchester United midfielder Darren Fletcher, an experienced addition who Berahino said had “fit in straight away”.

“He’s done it, he’s been there before, he knows what it’s about," Berahino said.

“You can see he’s got that seriousness about him and wants to help the team to win as many games as possible.”

Pulis has also made his mark early, with goalkeeper Ben Forster describing the training sessions as “brutal”.

“He’s old school: he believes in hard work,” Berahino said of Pulis’s training regime.

“But all the lads have taken to his work well, we’ve been working together, and his main focus since he stepped in the building was to get us together working as a team."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 10:31 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom manager Tony Pulis believes striker Saido Berahino is lacking the right influences in his life to make the best decisions about his career.

Pulis was unhappy with an interview the 21-year-old gave this week expressing his wish to move on to "bigger things".

He was dropped to the bench but came on in Sunday's 2-2 draw at Burnley.

"He is a top player. The problem is he lost his father at an early age and has not had many mentors who can put him on the straight and narrow," said Pulis.

"That happens a lot today. A lot of kids get misguided advice. There is a lot of money thrown around in football and these kids can provide a lot of money to a lot of people."

Last month Berahino was banned from driving for 12 months and fined £3,400 after pleading guilty to drink-driving.

Pulis hopes new signing Darren Fletcher can be a positive influence for Berahino, who has scored 14 goals in all competitions this season and was called up to the full England squad earlier in the campaign.

Fletcher joined Albion from Manchester United on Monday and was given the captain's armband for his debut at Turf Moor, which saw the Baggies come back from two goals down to claim a point thanks to headed goals from previous skipper Chris Brunt and substitute Brown Ideye.

"Brunty is happy to give Darren the captaincy and concentrate on his football," said Pulis, whose team are three points and three places above the relegation zone.

"I felt Darren was what we needed in the dressing room. We needed a leader and he has been wonderful."

The West Brom boss said Burnley "deserved to be 2-0 up" after his side made a slow start.

"We started as though it was a Sunday morning stroll," he said. "Half of them looked as though they were still in bed. The saving grace was the goal just before half-time.

"As soon as I came through the door I knew how hard this one was going to be. The big thing today was not to lose. It is one defeat in six since I came to the football club."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:12 pm 
Major General
Major General

I think he should stay on for another season atleast ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The sale of West Bromwich Albion has hit a hitch after the chairman, Jeremy Peace, announced talks with a possible buyer had been suspended. Peace said earlier this month that an exclusivity arrangement had been set up with one unnamed party, but he no longer feels they can meet the terms of sale.

“I have today brought to a close the period of exclusivity announced on July 3 and suspended negotiations with the interested party involved over the sale of West Bromwich Albion Holdings Ltd,” Peace said in a statement released on the club’s website. “I entered into an exclusivity arrangement in good faith after agreeing terms for the sale but it is now clear to me that this potential purchaser is unable to fulfil the terms of that agreement at this time.”

Peace, who has been chairman since 2003, reportedly values the club at between £150m and £200m. Discussions have taken place with several groups after Peace made the decision earlier in the year to offer up his 88% share of West Brom as he “considered strategic options for the future development and legacy of the club”.

In his latest statement released on Friday, Peace confirmed the sale process would continue with other interested parties and reiterated his determination not to allow off-field matters to have an effect on the pitch.

“The club’s long-term stability and continued development is of paramount importance and I am not satisfied that the interests of West Bromwich Albion would have been best served by my continuing discussions at present,” he added.

“It is important that I re-emphasise that the possible sale of the club does not and will not impact upon its day-to-day running and that this applies particularly in an area which I know concerns all supporters – team strengthening.

“This is a period in which there is always an understandable impatience for new signings to strengthen our squad and nowhere is this pressure more keenly felt than at board level. But we will not be held to ransom. Of course I know this can add to supporter frustration but I do believe they will see our efforts come to fruition over the course of the transfer window.”

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Bromwich Albion have signed Hull City defender James Chester for a fee of £8m.

The 26-year-old has signed a four-year deal at The Hawthorns.

The Wales international played 156 league games for Hull, who were relegated from the Premier League in May.

Baggies boss Tony Pulis said: "James did very well for Hull City. I've had a good chat with him and he's the type of player I like."

Fellow Premier League side Leicester City were also interested in Chester, who started his career at Manchester United, making one appearance.

He joined Hull in 2011 following loan spells at Peterborough, Plymouth and Carlisle.

Hull manager Steve Bruce earlier told BBC Radio Humberside: "We've said all summer that it is inevitable that we are going to lose a few players because that is the fallout of relegation.

"He has served the club fantastically well in the time he has been here and how can you deny him the opportunity to play in the Premier League?

"The money we get from him we will re-invest back into the squad."

Bruce added that he expects winger Robbie Brady, 23, to be the next departure from the KC Stadium.

The Republic of Ireland international has been heavily linked with a transfer to Norwich City.

"We said from day one that if the price is right then we are not going to stand in anybody's way," he said.

"James and Robbie had one year left on their contracts and they made it clear they wanted to play in the Premier League. We have to look after the club."

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rickie Lambert is expected to finalise a move from Liverpool to West Bromwich Albion in the next few days although the clubs have yet to agree a fee for the former England striker.

Lambert joined his boyhood club for £4.5m from Southampton last summer but made only 12 starts in all competitions as the dream return to Anfield did not unfold as planned. He was given permission to talk to Aston Villa in January but rejected a proposed £5m transfer in order to fight for a place at Liverpool. In the event, the 33-year-old made only two further starts for Brendan Rodgers’ side despite their glaring problems in attack.

Albion have opened talks with Liverpool over the striker’s future and are firm favourites to sign Lambert, who has also been linked with Leicester City, Crystal Palace and a possible reunion with the former Southampton manager Mauricio Pochettino at Tottenham Hotspur.

While interest from Spurs would be attractive, Lambert, who admitted his match sharpness suffered from a bit-part role at Anfield, is anxious for regular first-team football after the experience of last season.

Liverpool are keen to recoup their outlay on the England forward while Albion’s initial valuation is believed to have been around the £3m mark. Providing a compromise is reached, Lambert could undergo a medical and move to the Hawthorns within days. He would be Tony Pulis’s third summer signing following James McClean from Wigan Athletic and James Chester, who arrived for £8m from Hull City on Wednesday.

The Albion manager confirmed: “Rickie is available. Liverpool have made that known. We’d be interested. It’s very important that we get players who will score goals and Rickie’s got a great goalscoring record.

“From what I can gather from people at Liverpool his fitness levels are very, very good and he is desperate to play football. He didn’t play last year so it’s like bringing a brand new car out of the garage if we did sign him. Just putting a bit of petrol in it and letting it run.”

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
West Brom have rejected a transfer request from striker Saido Berahino.

Albion rejected an offer for the 22-year-old from Tottenham last week and have reiterated their intention to keep him at the Hawthorns.

They stated their position is unchanged from 18 August, when chairman Jeremy Peace said that selling the player was "simply not on our agenda".

Berahino was dropped at the weekend, with boss Tony Pulis saying he was not in the right frame of mind to play.

In the absence of the England Under-21 striker, who scored 20 goals last season, the Baggies were beaten 3-2 - a result which left them bottom of the Premier League table with one point from three games.

Despite Peace's insistence that Berahino is not for sale, Pulis has admitted that the club would be powerless if Tottenham made them an offer they could not refuse.

"I'm sure Tottenham wanted to keep Bale and Manchester United wanted to keep Ronaldo so I'm not stupid enough to say 'I'm not doing this' or 'I'm not doing that'," he said last week.

Berahino, who came through the youth ranks at West Brom and has spent time on loan at Northampton, Brentford and Peterborough, has made 83 appearances and scored 29 goals for the Baggies.

This summer, Albion have signed two strikers - Rickie Lambert from Liverpool and Salomon Rondon for a club record fee of around £12m from Zenit St Petersburg.

Pulis has also said the club will "surprise people" with more signings before the transfer window closes on 1 September.

I like him but think he should stay where he is and play football at Spurs he's just going to sit on the bench in the league and be backup to Kane.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:10 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jeremy Peace has hit out at Tottenham Hotspur over their attempts to sign Saido Berahino, claiming the London club have undervalued the striker and structured their bids in an unacceptable way. The West Bromwich Albion chairman issued his fourth statement on the matter since Tuesday of last week and in it he once again ruled out the possibility of the player leaving for White Hart Lane.

Tottenham have had offers worth £18m and £22m turned down by Albion for Berahino, who has attempted to force the issue himself by handing in a written transfer request. That was also rejected by his employer. Berahino has missed his team’s last two matches – against Chelsea in the Premier League and Port Vale in the Capital One Cup – as the manager, Tony Pulis, has deemed him to be in the wrong frame of mind to play.

Peace was also critical of the timing of Tottenham’s two bids, saying they gave him no time to find a replacement. He met with Berahino at Albion’s training ground on Thursday to tell the 22-year-old he would be staying put at the club. Berahino is very upset over the situation.

Tottenham are baffled by Peace’s accusations and there is no little anger behind the scenes at White Hart Lane. As far as they are concerned, they opened talks with Albion well before they made their opening offer on Tuesday of last week and the way they have structured the payments for Berahino is no different to how Albion have proposed to pay for Federico Fazio, the Tottenham centre-half whom Pulis wants to sign. Albion have offered a package worth £5m for him. That deal is obviously now in jeopardy.

Tottenham have noted how Albion have signed two new strikers this summer – Rickie Lambert and Salomón Rondón – to go with their existing options in Brown Ideye and Victor Anichebe while they accept no blame for how Berahino has become unsettled. It has been West Brom who have made public the bids for him and how he put in a transfer request, which has made things difficult between him and the fans. Tottenham cannot understand why Peace has sought to make everything so public.

Spurs are ready to move on and are close to finalising the £22m signing of Son Heung-min from Bayer Leverkusen. The South Korean is recognised more as a goal-scoring attacking midfielder, who tends to play off the left but can operate in any of the positions behind the striker. Mauricio Pochettino, the Tottenham manager, also believes he could be an option as a striker. Son has undergone his medical at Tottenham and he has been at Spurs to finalise his personal terms.

“I have informed Saido that he will not be transferred during this summer window and that he is staying at the club,” said Peace.

“As I have made clear from the moment Tottenham lodged their first bid for Saido on August 18, selling our top goalscorer was never on our agenda this summer. Our plans have always been based on Saido being part of our squad for the 2015-16 season.

“But there are two other good reasons why he will not be sold. Firstly, had we ever entertained the notion of selling him, we have not received an offer anywhere near attractive enough from Tottenham Hotspur. Not only have the offers been too low as a valuation of the player but they have been based on stage payments and add-ons over a long period, which do nothing to reflect Saido’s ability and potential.”

Peace went on to criticise the timing of the bids, although, by Tottenham’s standards, they have not actually been that late. Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, is renowned for making moves as late as deadline day.

Peace said: “I have the greatest respect for Daniel Levy but he must surely appreciate we would have needed to replace Saido had he left and no consideration of that position has been reflected by Tottenham’s strategy.

“It has contributed to our completing our last two games without a key player. I have spoken to Saido and of course I have sympathy for him. He has been unsettled and distracted by all this and I understand that. But I have strongly advised him to put this behind him and get back to what he does best, which is to work hard for the team and score goals for Albion.”

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 4:20 am 
Major General
Major General

Spurs has withdrawn their interest in behrahino and diverted to leverkusan attaker winger some korean guy whose name i cant remember.. But he is good from videos i have seen.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:56 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
West Brom have agreed a fee with Manchester United to sign defender Jonny Evans.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:13 pm 
Major General
Major General

Good signing for Baggies

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tottenham’s transfer window bids for striker Saido Berahino were “way, way off the mark”, according to West Bromwich Albion’s director of football administration, Richard Garlick.

Talking to the Albion Assembly fans’ group, Garlick laid out the timing of Tottenham’s offers, and said they were rejected because of their value and their payment structure – with one bid understood to have involved payments of £3.5m each year for five years.

The saga ended in acrimony on deadline day when Berahino tweeted his frustration at the club’s refusal to sell him, and pledged never to play for the chairman Jeremy Peace again.

Berahino has since returned to training, though manager Tony Pulis admitted it would be “hard” to reintegrate him. “His attitude will be questioned,” said Pulis. “Respect has to be earned and Saido has to learn that lesson.”

Garlick, quoted by the Birmingham Mail, said the club had dismissed four bids during the window, two on deadline day.

“Around mid-August the chairman was speaking to Tottenham about [Federico] Fazio … and there was a question asked about Berahino, to which the chairman said we weren’t interested in selling him. Three days later there was an official offer from Tottenham which was not acceptable, way off the mark, and was just rejected out of hand.

“At the same time as that offer came in there was a transfer request put in by the player. I suppose you can read into the timing what you want in relation to the bid coming in and the transfer request on the same day. Again that was rejected and Saido was told he wouldn’t be leaving.

“There was then a further offer a week later which again was way, way off the mark, not only in terms of the amount but also in terms of the payment structure. Then that was it, there was lots of too-ing and fro-ing taking place and then it wasn’t until deadline day that we received a third offer in the morning and then a final offer in the mid-afternoon.

“By which stage neither was the offer or the structure acceptable and we were completely left without being able to get a replacement in for a player. That was it really as far as the club was concerned.”

Garlick, who also told the fans’ group that the 22-year-old had conducted his own negotiations with the board during the process, rather than use an agent, added: “In a nutshell, that’s it. Obviously then Saido tweeted what he tweeted and he was given an extended leave of absence just for things to settle down and for everybody to reflect where we are.”

Berahino scored 14 Premier League goals, and 20 in all competitions, last season but has played just twice so far during the current campaign, without scoring. Pulis has not selected the striker since the goalless draw at Watford on 15 August.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:16 am 
Major General
Major General

About time both levy and Perez has learned a thing orr 2 ..You dont leave your transfer to last day.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next