AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2433 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 122  Next
 Post subject: Spurs Summer Bonanza
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:41 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Lots of stories about spurs and its only may so thought they warranted their own thread
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is preparing to make a bid for AC Milan striker Klaas Jan Huntelaar. Harry Redknapp has already stated publicly that he will be bringing in top names and while Huntelaar may not be that “special” signing that Redknapp has hinted at he is certainly a top class player that would fit in nicely at White Hart Lane.

Now that Tottenham are in the Champions League they are now able to attract players to White Hart Lane that before may have been out of their reach, not because they could not afford them but because simply put, Spurs were not at Europe’s top table, they are now and Redknapp is keen to exploit the situation while he can.

Huntelaar would not cost as much as what some may have thought, according to reports in Italy AC Milan will allow Huntelaar to leave for basically what they paid for him, €15 Million, a fee that Tottenham can easily afford, the only hiccup could be the players wages but even that is not considered enough of a stumbling block.

Huntelaar has not really broken through at AC Milan and neither have the fans taken to the Dutchman and with Huntelaar having already played for seven clubs (two on loan) there is a suspicion that the 26 year old finds it difficult to settle, that m=though may have more to do with the fact that his last two clubs, AC Milan and Real Madrid never really utilised the player.

The reports claim that Redknapp is keen to tie up any deal prior to the World Cup but accepts that the chances are he will have to wait until after the competition has ended.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Spurs Summer Bonanza
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:42 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Harry Redknapp is ready to sign David James for Tottenham on a free transfer.

Redknapp has been after his former Portsmouth No.1 for more than a year and could now get his man in the summer.

The Spurs chief wants competition for Heurelho Gomes as he prepares for the club's first Champions League campaign.

Redknapp was blocked in previous attempts for James by supremo Daniel Levy, who was reluctant to pay a fee, but would sanction a free transfer swoop on sensible wages.
Click here to find out more!

And James will also leap at the chance of staying in the Premier League, with a shot at being first choice at White Hart Lane.

Spurs currently have untried Ben Alnwick as number two and are reluctant to spend on an up-and-coming cover keeper like Scott Loach at Watford or Boaz Myhill at Hull.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 8:52 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

How long before this turns into the 'They wont sign for Spurs, they dont have the quality to maintain' thread.... :rolleyes:

I would be quite happy with Craig Bellamy, not sure why harry wants James

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

James would be good cover if Gomes was injured but it would be a big wage to sit on the bench.

Not sure they need huge investment anyway bit more cover at full back and maybe a central midfielder with some champions league experience but I don't think Harry will be planning a massive overhaul.

After Chelsea they've probably got the best squad in the league when everyone is fit.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:20 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

spurs are at the level now where they need to buy really really good players that will go straight into the team, their squad is god but a few world class players they have a great opportunity to kick on. They have the added draw that city don't of being in London to which half the world thinks is the only place that exists in the UK.

I think they need a defender who is going to be fit all season as as good as King and woodgate are they will struggle to play all season with the extra games next season (assuming Spurs get to the group stage) Bassong is decent as is Dawson but unless Woodgate can guarantee 40+ games next season then they need to get someone who can.

Bassong & Dawson V Messi & Barcelona :blink:

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:35 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I agree they need experience, not sure whos out there for the wages we will pay and would be under about 35 years old. Dawson may fair well, ive never been sure about Bassong but time will tell. Essou - ekotto has said he does not like football, he plays for the money so thats promising. If i were harry i would put all our money in that defence, you cant hope woodgate will recover well enough to cope in the CL (if we get that far)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:39 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

if you could get a better striker than you have and at least 1 world class defender then you should make it through, who else is in the qualifying pot?

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:46 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Jarv wrote:
if you could get a better striker than you have and at least 1 world class defender then you should make it through, who else is in the qualifying pot?

It's totally unseeded now so it's going to be a very strong round so they'll need some luck of the draw to avoid the top Italian, Spanish, German & even French sides who have improved massively this season. Lyon are probably going to be in the qualifying round along with Valencia, AC Milan/Juve, Leverkuesen, Schalke although there's still one game left in some leagues to it's not definite.

I agree about strengthening the defence I don't think wages are a problem Spurs are a rich club they can pay good wages maybe not £100k a week like Utd, City or Chelsea but they could easily afford to put a few big names on £70-80k a week I bet Robbie Keane is in that bracket.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 9:54 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Keane apparently is top along with Modric on 55k, if you were a top european defender on say 90k, would you want to come to us for that? Levy is hot on his wage caps, and if you start giving top money to new players, your current lads will be peeved to say the least.

Im still not sure Keane will retun although the lure of CL may make him want to, but they may be outweighted by a bid from Celtic, we shall see.

I think O'hara, Jenas, Livermore etc will be sold off, im sure Harry knows his targets so we will wait with baited breath, trouble is it only takes a good world cup to double a players 'worth'!

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:03 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Erik The Viking wrote:
Keane apparently is top along with Modric on 55k, if you were a top european defender on say 90k, would you want to come to us for that? Levy is hot on his wage caps, and if you start giving top money to new players, your current lads will be peeved to say the least.

Im still not sure Keane will retun although the lure of CL may make him want to, but they may be outweighted by a bid from Celtic, we shall see.

I think O'hara, Jenas, Livermore etc will be sold off, im sure Harry knows his targets so we will wait with baited breath, trouble is it only takes a good world cup to double a players 'worth'!

Not sure defenders are on that much if I'm honest Vidic wouldn't be on that sort of money only the real big names would command those sort of wages. You'd be able to pick up a defender with experience that fits into that wage bracket. Attacking players are generally the ones who are on ridiculous wages as they're the big names who sell shirts.

I think Keane will be sold anyway he's not the player he was and if they can get £10m and get him off the wage bill he'll be off in the summer with the players you just mentioned add the likes of Hutton & possibly Bentley to that list.

Welcome to the big boys world of transfers world cup years are ridiculous for transfer fees anyone who does a nice flick that the BBC show on the closing highlights will suddenly be worth £20m.

Also, with the current euro/pound problem prices for buying in from Europe are much higher now as our currency isn't as strong as it was a £14m (20m euro) striker is now a £20m (20m euro) striker plus our lovely new tax bracket of 50% means players want higher gross salaries as the prem is no longer the attaction it once was too the top foreign players.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 10:09 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

If it werent for the fact that Man City have money to throw away there may have been a very slim chance of attracting someone like Torres but City will bid big in the summer for anyone who can kick a ball.

An exciting summer ahaead, which will probably mean disappointment at the arrival of someone like Bobby Zamora (again) and Chimbonda (again, again)

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 11:01 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Erik The Viking wrote:
If it werent for the fact that Man City have money to throw away there may have been a very slim chance of attracting someone like Torres but City will bid big in the summer for anyone who can kick a ball.

An exciting summer ahaead, which will probably mean disappointment at the arrival of someone like Bobby Zamora (again) and Chimbonda (again, again)

No way mate Torres if he leaves will be back off to Spain he's got an a genuine love for Liverpool and imo he wouldn't sign for City or Chelsea or any other premiership club now. He'd be on the first flight to Barcelona or Milan. Plus where would the £50-60m come from?

Personally I'd avoid the big name mercenaries that City will be going for and go for young hungry players who have experience of the ECL playing for the smaller clubs possibly look to teams like Rubin Kazan or Sporting Lisbon etc who have players who could be tempted into a move to the premiership but have played in the champions league.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:49 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

JSP wrote:
Erik The Viking wrote:

No way mate Torres if he leaves will be back off to Spain he's got an a genuine love for Liverpool and imo he wouldn't sign for City or Chelsea or any other premiership club now. He'd be on the first flight to Barcelona or Milan. Plus where would the £50-60m come from?

Personally I'd avoid the big name mercenaries that City will be going for and go for young hungry players who have experience of the ECL playing for the smaller clubs possibly look to teams like Rubin Kazan or Sporting Lisbon etc who have players who could be tempted into a move to the premiership but have played in the champions league.

Russian and Turkish players with ECL experience will be a good buy also as they won't have a World Cup to jack their value up.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:39 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Regarding the Bellamy speculation, whats the price tag on him?

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
YSB! wrote:

i saw £7-8m quoted

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:46 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Erik please don't even joke about Chimbonda coming back. Well I mean unless you think we can get back Zokora too cause then it's a move you have to make

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:53 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Resurrection Joe wrote:
YSB! wrote:

i saw £7-8m quoted

Bit steep considering he's admitted to only having two playing years left dont ya think?

I think him and James (depending on James's wages) would be two bad signings..

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 6:57 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I cant see the logic in James, I would rather resign Bobby Mimms or Melia Eleksic.

Wouldnt mind Bellamy but at that price and the years he has left we may aswell keep Keane.

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:02 pm 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

Erik The Viking wrote:
I cant see the logic in James, I would rather resign Bobby Mimms or Melia Eleksic.

Wouldnt mind Bellamy but at that price and the years he has left we may aswell keep Keane.

Im surprised Joe Hart hasnt been mentioned! I really rate that lad. Cant wait to see who he plays for next season..

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 7:44 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

I can't imagine unless they are floored by a huge offer, City will let Hart go anywhere until they see how Given comes back from this shoulder problem. Also I think Gomes has established himself as a No. 1 keeper so what we need is cover I think

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2433 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 122  Next