AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:46 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Leicester's Crispy Capers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:47 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3

Paulo Sousa looks set to be confirmed as the new manager of Leicester following confirmation of his departure from npower Championship rivals Swansea on Monday morning.

The Foxes are searching for a new boss following Nigel Pearson's defection to Hull last week and are understood to have agreed a compensation package with Swansea for Sousa's services.

A statement from Leicester said: "Following his release by mutual consent with Swansea City FC, Leicester City confirm that they have initiated talks with Paulo Sousa in regards to the vacant manager's job.

"Further updates will be provided in due course."

Sousa, who took Swansea to the brink of the Championship play-offs in his first and only season in charge, had two years to run on his contract at the Liberty Stadium.

A statement from the Swans said: "Swansea City have parted company with manager Paulo Sousa by mutual consent.

"The move comes following a meeting between Swans chairman Huw Jenkins and Paulo Sousa over the weekend.

"Both parties agreed that the current speculation regarding the manager's future was harmful to the club and, as a result, Paulo was granted his request to speak to Leicester City about the vacant manager's job at the Walkers Stadium."

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Sousa Swans Off
PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The news that Paulo Sousa is on his way to Leicester produced some head-scratching at AGR HQ, wondering exactly what the hell has been going on at the Walkers Stadium since Milan Mandaric took over.

When his takeover was confirmed in February 2007, Mandaric said: "Our future plans are straightforward. First we have to secure our stability and be sure of staying in this division."

Well, as you may remember, that didn't turn out particularly well, since Leicester were relegated the following season, but it's the first part of that statement that interests us, and the part over which Mandaric has the most control.

Since that February day (when, incidentally, Mandaric gave his full backing to then-manager Rob Kelly, while in the same breath saying he'd spoken to Iain Dowie about taking over), the Leicester dug'out has been something of a conveyor belt.

For the bottoms of Kelly, Nigel Worthington, Martin Allen, Jon Rudkin, Steve Beaglehole, Mike Stowell, Gary Megson, Frank Burrows ,Gerry Taggart, Ian Holloway, Nigel Pearson and, if all goes well, Sousa will have paused in the managerial hot-seat.

That's an impressive 12 permanent and caretaker managers in just over three years. Or, if you prefer, one for every 102 days of his tenure.

That's some impressive stability.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:52 am 
Colonel
Colonel

His team didn't conceed many goals - conversely,they didn't score many either. I fear a season of big disappointment ahead. :unsure:

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Leicester City have been bought out by a Thai-based consortium but Milan Mandaric will stay on as chairman of the Championship club.

Aiyawatt Raksriaksorn, who owns the club's new shirt sponsors King Power Group, will front the Asia Football Investments consortium.

Mandaric said the deal would enable the club to "secure ambitious and exciting plans" and is a "great opportunity".

"It will bring new strength and energy," Mandaric added.

BBC Radio Leicester last week revealed that duty-free shopping business the King Power Group had agreed a three-year shirt sponsorship deal and were in talks about a possible takeover.
Quote:
It provides a real opportunity for Leicester to grow and transform its status over the next few months and years
Leicester chief executive Lee Hoos

Aiyawatt added: "We are delighted that Asia Football Investments has secured this exciting deal.

"I am passionate about football and I see Leicester City as a club with tremendous passion and potential.

"It has excellent management on and off the pitch and I am convinced that it has the right mix of ambition and realism to drive the team, and club, forward.

"I do look forward to getting behind the new manager and his team and to enjoying real progress, which I know the fans crave and deserve."

Leicester chief executive Lee Hoos insists the takeover does not increase the pressure on manager Paulo Sousa to bring Premier League football.

Sousa, who was only appointed in the summer, has already vowed to achieve promotion to the top flight in within two years.

But Hoos said the club is looking longer term - even though they are eager to play in the Premier League as soon as possible.

"It provides a real opportunity for Leicester to grow and transform its status over the next few months and years," Hoos said.

"We are, of course, realistic and we wish to assure supporters that this deal will not pile the pressure on the football manager and create unreal expectations.

"We have a new young and clearly talented football manager in place and our strategy and targets remain the same.

"We want consistency but also sustainability in our current league, and of course future leagues, and that makes this deal unique as we are signed up to these ideas."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Leicester's Crispy Capers
PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:43 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Leicester have refused to rule out launching a sensational bid to lure Aston Villa striker Emile Heskey back to the club.

The Foxes were taken over by Thai businessman Vichal Raksriaksorn last week and he is believed to be keen to fund a promotion push from the Championship.

Heskey is said to be the target of the new owner, who has made a reported £10million available to manager Paulo Sousa to splash out on a high-profile signing.

Heskey's arrival would smash the current wage structure in place at the Walkers Stadium, however assistant manager Bruno Oliveira said a move wasn't out of the question.

In the week Manchester City star Craig Bellamy joined second tier rivals Cardiff on loan, Sousa's No.2 believes a move for the former England striker would send a message of intent.

Oliveira told The Sun: "It would make a big impact.

"Craig Bellamy was an opportunity that Dave Jones took."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2010 10:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Leicester have signed Martyn Waghorn from Sunderland for an undisclosed fee.

The 20-year-old had a hugely successful loan spell at the Walkers Stadium last season, scoring 12 goals in 43 appearances as the Foxes reached the Championship play-offs. He was also named the club's young player of the year.

With DJ Campbell also having sealed a permanent return to Blackpool today, Waghorn is likely to make his comeback for Leicester against midlands rivals Coventry on Saturday.

"Leicester City Football Club is delighted to be able to welcome Martyn Waghorn back on a permanent basis," said Foxes chairman Milan Mandaric.

"This is yet another example of Top Raksriaksorn showing his intention to take this club forward. Top has recognised a talented, young English striker and has provided the financial backing to turn the dream of his return into a reality.

"I know the fans will be as pleased as I am at the return of Martyn Waghorn. I know that (manager) Paulo (Sousa) has also wanted to make this signing for quite some time. We are all excited about the addition and eagerly await our next game against Coventry."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:53 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Leicester owner Milan Mandaric has sacked manager Paulo Sousa less than three months after appointing him as Nigel Pearson's replacement.

The Foxes have made a disappointing start to the season, winning just one of their first nine games in the npower Championship, and slipped to the bottom of the table following their midweek defeat at Norwich.

A club statement read: "The decision has been taken as a result of the club's poor run of results this season.

"The club would like to state that Paulo Sousa is a first-class individual, but that this decision has been taken in the best interests of the club and our ambitions to move up the npower Championship.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 01, 2010 7:55 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

The rumours are that Sven is next up - and could be named by Sunday. Sweet Jesus, NO ! :doh:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2010 12:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Leicester City have confirmed the appointment of former England boss Sven Goran Eriksson as the club's new manager.

The Championship club sacked Paulo Sousa on Friday and have moved quickly to fill the vacancy by handing Eriksson a two-year contract.

Eriksson was in the stands on Saturday to watch Leicester move off the bottom of the table thanks to a 3-1 victory over Scunthorpe United at the Walkers Stadium.

The ex-Lazio and Manchester City manager has now been confirmed as Sousa's successor and he is looking forward to the challenge.

"I am extremely pleased to be the new manager of Leicester City," Eriksson told the club's official website.

"This challenge provides great motivation for me and I look forward to working with the players, meeting the supporters and hopefully achieving great success for Leicester City.

"Leicester is a club with a rich heritage and is a proud sporting city.

"I hope that together we can look forward to adding to that history with the accomplishments I plan to make."

Eriksson's first game will be against the Thailand national team next Saturday before his first competitive match on 16th October when former Foxes boss Nigel Pearson brings Hull City to the Walkers Stadium.

Leicester owner Aiyawatt Raksriaksorn said: "We are delighted to welcome Sven to Leicester City Football Club. This is a great day for everyone associated with the club and we are very proud to have Sven as our new manager.

"In Sven, we have a world-class leader for our team and for our club. His record within the game is tremendous and he has the ability, knowledge and pedigree to take this club forward and in to the Premier League."

Foxes chairman Milan Mandaric added: "This is another example of the great support shown by our new owners. Their ambition for the club has been emphasised with this landmark appointment of Sven as the new manager."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Leicester have signed former Aston Villa and Manchester City striker Darius Vassell until the end of the season.

As revealed by skysports.com, Foxes Sven-Goran Eriksson wanted the 30-year-old after they worked together with England and at Eastlands.

Vassell was a free agent after leaving Turkish side Ankaragucu but he is viewed as an ideal player to help the Foxes in their bid to earn promotion from the Championship.

Eriksson is quickly reshaping the squad he inherited from predecessor Paulo Sousa and the Swede has already signed Curtis Davies and Kyle Naughton on loan.

Vassell began his career with Villa and signed for Manchester City in a £2million deal in the summer of 2005.

He made 22 appearances for England and scored six goals after making his international debut in 2002.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sven-Goran Eriksson has opened the door for David Beckham at Leicester City, but doubts he would join a Championship club.

The Swede knows the LA Galaxy midfielder well having worked with the experienced star during his five years in charge of England.

Twice Beckham has joined AC Milan on loan during MLS' close season and it has been rumoured he could be on the move again in the New Year. The Foxes have recently been taken over by Thai-based consortium Asia Football Investments and the ambitious club have been mooted as a possible destination for the 35-year-old.

While Eriksson is an admirer of the former Real Madrid and Manchester United ace, he does not believe Beckham would join Leicester due to their Championship status.

"I haven't spoken to David for a long time," said Eriksson in The Guardian

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wigan's out-of-favour goalkeeper Chris Kirkland has joined hometown club Leicester on a one-month emergency loan.

The deal reunites the 29-year-old with Sven-Goran Eriksson, the manager who first called him into the England squad seven years ago.

Kirkland has lost his place at the DW Stadium to on-loan Ali Habsi but Wigan, who confirmed the deal this morning, will retain the right to recall him at 24 hours' notice.

Latics manager Roberto Martinez said: "Chris has been training really well but to improve his form he probably needs to play some games. "It is a great opportunity for him. I think it is the best possible way for Chris to get back to his best match fitness. "He is going to a team making a really good challenge and it is probably what he needs now after the consistency he has shown in training."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

'New signing Chris Kirkland fit and raring to go for Leicester City' is the headline in last week's Leicester Mercury after the goalkeeper with an apparently unfair reputation for recurrent back injuries signed for the Foxes on loan.

The article reads: 'Kirkland was picked for several England squads when City boss Sven-Goran Eriksson was in charge of the national team, but had to pull out of many of them because of injury. But Kirkland said his injury concerns are behind him and he is fully fit.'

"In the last four years at Wigan I hardly missed a game," he said.

November 30: Kirkland misses the first game of his loan spell with a mysterious back injury.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:44 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Leicester boss Sven-Goran Eriksson concedes his bid to sign David Beckham on loan is doomed to fail.

After receiving the BBC Sports Personality's Lifetime Achievement award on Sunday, Beckham revealed that he plans to play in Europe this winter in a bid to win back his place in the England squad.

The 35-year-old spent the previous two winters at AC Milan but will not be returning to the Italian giants for a third spell and also ruled out a return to the Barclays Premier League.

Eriksson admits it is unlikely Beckham will agree a move to the Walkers Stadium, but will make one more attempt to pull off what would be a stunning signing.

Eriksson told BBC Radio Leicester: "I would try again and that would be the third time. But no, he will not come - I am pretty sure - so we can forget that story."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Leicester are closing in on a shock swoop for Everton striker Yakubu Aiyegbeni, skysports.com understands.

Foxes boss Sven Goran Eriksson is in the market for a new forward to bolster his options up front.

And the former England boss has identified the powerful Toffees player as a target during the January transfer window.

The 28-year-old former Portsmouth and Middlesbrough man has found the net just once for the Goodison Park club in 15 appearances this season three years after a high-profile £11m transfer.

But now manager David Moyes could now be ready to let him leave during the January transfer window with Leicester eager to secure his services.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:52 pm 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Leicester City have signed Everton striker Yakubu on loan until the end of the season, subject to league approval.

Yakubu, 28, joins Sven-Goran Eriksson's Championship side with a view to a permanent move in the summer.

The Nigeria international told BBC Radio Leicester he was desperate to play first-team football.

He added: "I'm ambitious and want to be in the Premier League. Leicester are a big club with a big manager. Hopefully we can get there next season."

Eriksson told the club's website: "Yakubu is a tremendous signing. He will bring pace, power and experience.

"He has captained his country, played in major competitions and he is a world-class footballer."

Yakubu, who has more then 50 international caps, has struggled to find his best form following an eight-month lay-off with an Achilles injury in 2008 and 2009.

The former Portsmouth and Middlesbrough man has started eight games this term.

----

If he can stay fit, that's a good signing right there imo. And, according to him he's only 28... :snigger:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

28 stone.... maybe :unsure:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:02 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

Charlton Athletic have offered their vacant manager's job to former Addicks full-back Chris Powell and he will accept it, BBC Sport understands.

The 41-year-old ex-England international, who is currently a coach at Leicester, played over 250 games during three spells at The Valley.

He will take over from Phil Parkinson who was sacked on 4 January.

Charlton currently lie sixth in League One, six points off the automatic promotion places.

Powell started his career in 1987 at Crystal Palace and went on to play at Aldershot, Southend, Derby, West Ham and Watford.

His final spell at Charlton ended in 2008 when he joined Leicester City on a short-term deal.

He then became player-coach at the Foxes under Nigel Pearson and retired from playing last season.

Following the sacking of Leicester manager Paulo Sousa in October, Powell became caretaker manager until Sven-Goran Eriksson was appointed.

Former Peterborough boss Gary Johnson, who left London Road on Monday, and Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe had also been linked with the job.

Good luck to him, if he goes. I know for a fact that he is highly regarded and respected by the playing and non-playing staff, as a coach and as an individual.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:04 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

A football fan suffered a fractured skull on Saturday when he fell 15ft from a railing at a match.

The man, in his early 20s, was at Leicester's 3-0 victory away to Scunthorpe in the npower Championship.

Humberside Police said the man was not thought to be in a life-threatening condition after the incident at Glanford Park.

A spokesman said: "He was on his own, nobody pushed him, it seems to be an accident.

"The man, who is from Leicester, is believed to have tried to stand on a railing, and fell 15ft into an exit way.

"He has been taken to Scunthorpe General Hospital."

Police have not named the man.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Yakubu has revealed his desire to turn his loan move from Everton to Leicester into a permanent switch in the summer.

The striker, 28, was lured to the big-spending Championship outfit in January on a deal until the end of the season and has helped play his part in transforming the Foxes from relegation candidates into play-off hopefuls.

Yakubu, who was on Monday joined in attack at the Walkers Stadium by Fulham forward Diomansy Kamara, has made 12 appearances for City to date and scored four goals. But that has been enough to convince him of a move from Goodison Park to the East Midlands.

"I would love to stay, really," he told BBC Late Kick Off. "I hope we get promotion. I want to be here and I know the club deserve to be in the Premier League.

"The ambition they have, they have been there before but now this is the time to be there and if I can be part of it, with my experience, it would be great for the club and the people of Leicester too."

He added: "It was a big decision to leave Everton. When I spoke to the manager (Sven-Goran Eriksson) he said he really wanted me to come, and I said yes. For me, it was not just about staying in the Premier League and playing 10 minutes or 15 minutes and sitting every week not playing, I was not enjoying it which is not good. You get paid but I love to be on the pitch, working hard and playing football."

ImageImage
Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next