AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
 Post subject: Re: Cleverley Does It
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Been over a year since we had a post on here :ohmy:

Quote:
Midfielder Tom Cleverley says Manchester United are right back in title contention after Sunday's crucial 1-0 victory over Arsenal at Old Trafford.

United made a somewhat stuttering start to their first Premier League campaign under new manager David Moyes.

However, they have improved of late and results very much went their way at the weekend, as they rose to fifth, five points behind the Gunners, while potential title rivals such as Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester City dropped points.

Cleverley said: "Seeing the weekend's results, we knew it was an extra-important three points.

"We didn't want the league leaders to go 11 points ahead of us, now we are back in the mix.

"We are ahead of City and not far behind Chelsea, and we have also played some very tough games out of our opening 11.

"I am sure we can now get a run together and get right up to the top again."

Newcastle's win at Spurs and Sunderland's defeat of Manchester City have continued this season's run of upset results, but Cleverley thinks the nature of the Premier League renders such apparent surprises inevitable.

"It is what everyone predicted at the start of the season," he said.

"Everyone is improving and that makes for a really competitive campaign as a whole."

Big season for him this year he had an ok season last year fairly injury free but with a new manager he needs to really show he's good enough to make it at this level because Moyes will start to shuffle the pack this summer and move players in and out.

He's been a bit hit and miss so far but I still think he's good enough to keep hold of but those midfield slots are wide open for him to establish himself as a decent squad player at Utd I don't think he'll ever be much more than that but Utd need those academy graduates to be able to compete with clubs like City/Chelsea who just buy players.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley has conceded some of his performances have been 'average' this season.

England international Cleverley has come under fire from some United and England fans after failing to hit the heights this term.

Cleverley's future at Old Trafford has been the subject of speculation with David Moyes widely thought to be in the market for midfield reinforcements.

Cleverley, who impressed off the bench in midweek against Shakhtar Donetsk, admits he feels he has more to give to the side after conceding he has not been happy with his form so far this season.

"At the moment, I feel like I've got more to give," Cleverley told United Review. "I've had a few average games, a few more than I would prefer.

"But I felt this time last year was when I hit my best form of the season, when we were playing every few days.

"I'm the type of player who prefers that and, if I can get into a rhythm, then hopefully I can add more than just appearances to my record, I can also add some stand-out performances."

Cleverley believes he is developing aspects of his play under Moyes, but accepts he still has more to add to his game.

"I'm definitely developing the defensive side of my game and tactically the manager is teaching me a lot of things," added Cleverley.

"Maybe the creative side of my game can improve a little bit too but I realise that's not my only job in the team and sometimes I've got to sacrifice that part.

"I felt Chelsea at home, defensively and tactically, was a mature performance and I thought I was having a really good game at Fulham before a bang on the head gave me double vision and I had to come off.

"I'd pick those two, and the really good team performance at Swansea on the opening day, as my best so far."

Cleverley admits United have missed the presence of influential midfielder Michael Carrick, who has been out injured for their past four Premier League games, which resulted in two draws and two defeats.

"Any team in the world who had Michael Carrick would feel the loss, there's no denying that," continued Cleverley.

"But it has given a chance for other players to play and step up to the plate."

Fair play to him for coming out and admitting he's not played well.

He really changed the game when he came on in midweek and that is the sort of standard he needs to reach every week.

I think the coaches need to work with him on his positioning especially when defending as we all know he has the ability to play the ball forward he maybe just lacks the confidence to do it at the moment but defensively I think he's very suspect at the moment but that isn't surprising as he's still learning the game. I think he really suffers when he doesn't have Carrick there to help him through the games but then again you can say that about all of our midfielders.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:16 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I think he lacks ambition in his play and has all year. He did ok in a 10 minute cameo but so has Ashley Young in the past - it seems to be less pressure. The game before when he and Jones were the CM he needs to step up to the plate (the same way Carrick stood up when Scholes left and he didn't have to defer to him). Tom has the ability to play forward balls but his reluctance and desire to always play ti safe looks good on a stat sheet but doesn't help our limited team game of over-reliance on wingers.

One thing he doesn't seem to have is the ability to carry te ball - might be why he never tries it - afraid to lose it. We need to play 3 en in CM more I find..ando+Clev+jones/fellaini until Carrick returns..the ability to carry the ball thru the middle is underrated by our management it seems, and it's part of why we've been easy to defend at times.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The thing I always noticed about Cleverley when he first broke into the side was he added more urgency to our play the ball moved around quicker as he's happy to exchange 1 touch passes with the wide men or one of the forwards often Welbeck and last season I think we saw that from him again but this year the confidence looks to have been drained from him. I think he's about to become a dad which comes with it's own off field pressures but it shouldn't be effecting him this much on the pitch having just won his first league title you'd think he'd be full of confidence especially with a WC to play for at the end of the season. Did the Fellaini signing knock his confidence maybe? You'd hope not as to be a top footballer you need to back your ability over anyone the top players all believe they're better than their opponent if you go in to a match feeling inferior you are going to lose.

I haven't managed to get to a game this season and that is where you can really see what a player is doing is he bottling the pass forward because it's risky or is it just a case that there isn't a pass on for him? Are we not just getting the same criticism we used to hear aimed at Carrick because he isn't a goal scoring midfielder or someone who goes thundering into tackles what he does do is retain possession maybe it's a case that Cleverley basically does the same thing but he's nowhere near as defensively aware as Carrick is. From what I've seen on TV our movement in the final 1/3 hasn't looked great and it's looked very slow so maybe it's a case of having to play sideways/backwards because he doesn't have anything on.

I do agree the fact he can't carry the ball makes it hard for him but we've not had someone who can carry the ball through the middle of the pitch for a long time I don't really remember one in my time supporting Utd it's always been the wide men who dribbled the ball.

Everyone at the club is playing for their future this season imo those who don't step up to the challenge will probably be gone or find themselves out of the pitcture next season so it's up to these players to stand up and prove that they're worthy of playing for Utd.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester United midfielder Tom Cleverley says the club can forget about licking their wounds ahead of Wednesday night's Capital One Cup semi-final second leg visit of Sunderland.

United are reeling from Sunday's 3-1 defeat at Chelsea, which left them six points adrift of a Champions League berth and without skipper Nemanja Vidic for three games following his red card for a lunge on Eden Hazard.

It means the Serbian will be suspended for the visit of the Black Cats to Old Trafford, when United must overcome a 2-1 deficit from the first leg to reach the final and a probable showdown with in-form rivals Manchester City.

Neither Wayne Rooney nor Robin van Persie are likely to start given they have only just returned to training following groin and thigh absences respectively.

Little has gone right for new boss David Moyes this season, but Cleverley is adamant United will not let their heads drop.

"We can't let it get our heads down," he told Sky Sports News. "You have to feel for the new manager. He has had no luck at all. But we are not going to feel sorry for ourselves.

"We have to stand up and be counted. That starts with the Capital One Cup."

Cleverley has still not written off United's faint chances of retaining their Premier League title despite currently trailing leaders Arsenal by 14 points in the title race after their seventh league defeat of an inconsistent campaign.

"You can never rule Manchester United out," he said.

"This club has come from some mad positions in the past to go on and win things.

"It is going to be very tough. I would say we will need to win every game from now until the end of the season to do it but you should never rule us out."

Not sure I like this talk of luck you make your own luck in this game as far as I'm concerned and I'd much rather hear the players coming out and saying they haven't performed to the levels they expect on themselves and they feel they're letting the manager down and will do all they can to make it better.

If they believe that luck has somehow played a part in these poor performances this season then we do have a problem I'm sorry but it's time for harsh truths with the players do they want to be remembered as real champions worthy of wearing the Utd shirt or players who could only play well because of the genuise of Ferguson?

I think Cleverley has become a bit of an unfair scapegoat this season he's a squad player who shouldn't be playing every single week but to an extent he's courted that criticism when his management people set up all that TC23 and Brand Cleverley stuff when he first broke through.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:46 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Tom Cleverley sat on the edge of his sofa in the front room of his house in south Manchester on Monday.

He was being told about questions put to Manchester United team-mate Michael Carrick during a Twitter forum organised by the club programme last week.

The first #askCarrick: “If you could drop one player from the team, how do you tell Cleverley?”

The second #askCarrick: “Do you watch Cleverley train to feel good about yourself?”

The third #askCarrick: “You can travel back in time. Do you kill Hitler or stop Cleverley being born?”

Cleverley laughed. Not a bitter laugh. Not the laugh of someone who’s been beaten down by the criticism. Just the laugh of someone who knows the territory and who is learning to cope with it.

It has not been an easy season for any of the United players as the club struggles to adapt to the departure of Sir Alex Ferguson.

The criticism of them redoubled after a home draw with bottom club Fulham left them marooned nine points adrift of fourth-placed Liverpool. Almost to a man, their commitment has been questioned and their ability traduced. But it has been worst of all for Cleverley.

Somewhere along the line, as it became evident that United were not the force of old, Cleverley was made the scapegoat. The young England player, the 24-year-old who has supported United since the age of 10, suddenly found himself being blamed when they fell from the summit.

“When I first started getting singled out, it stung, yeah,” Cleverley says, “but it’s something you have got to learn to take when the team is not doing well.

“My job goes under the radar at times. I am not a player who’s going to beat three or four people and stick it in the top corner or go round tackling people like Roy Keane.

“I would like the fans on my side and it hurts a little bit when you have grown up at the club and love the club every bit as much as the supporters.

“But there are other people in the current United squad who have been through this kind of thing and they have made sure their quality shone through.

“I have got to look at those people. I have learned to take it with a pinch of salt and I’m sure it will make me stronger for the rest of my career.

“I feel I’ve been made a scapegoat a little bit. A few people in the media certainly seem to have a perception of me not doing much in the team.

“Don’t get me wrong, I know I can do better but people are making a big thing about how I don’t score enough goals when that is not necessarily my first job in the team.”

There is a bitter irony attached to the scapegoating of Cleverley: English fans clamoured for a young player who keeps possession and moves the ball quickly and efficiently in transition and then, when they got one, they have tried to run him out of town.

It is no surprise that England boss Roy Hodgson remains a fan and the England boss knows that Cleverley’s technical ability will serve England well in the heat of Brazil where carelessness in possession will be punished.

United fans might want to see Cleverley in a box-to-box role, bursting forward, getting ahead of the ball. But that is not the role David Moyes has asked him to play. Moyes wants him in a disciplined position as one of two holding midfielders and Cleverley has worked hard to adapt his game to follow his manager’s instructions.

'What Is The Point of Tom Cleverley?' is another common refrain on social media. Well, put it this way, if Cleverley had been on the pitch, Steve Sidwell would not have been allowed to drift unmarked into the box and score Fulham’s first goal on Sunday evening.

“I watch Spanish football a lot,” Cleverley says. “If they pass the ball sideways but keep possession, the fans clap them.

“Their attitude is that as long as you have got the ball, the other team can’t hurt you.

“I know the mentality is different here and that is what makes our game the best in the world because it is so intense.

“But sometimes I have got to not listen and play my game because I feel I’m doing the best thing for the team.”

This may surprise his critics but the statistics tell you that the Red Devils’ win ratio this season is significantly better with Cleverley in the side.

It has become easy and fashionable to make the Cleverley the face of United’s decline because he is being asked to do an unglamorous job. The reality is that, as United attract criticism for the predictability of their play, Cleverley’s energy and speed of transition, is exactly what they need.

“My confidence has been a little bit low at times this season,” Cleverley admitted. “There is not much worse for a player than getting it off his own fans.

“I don’t mind hearing stick off 19 of 20 Premier League clubs. But when it comes from your own fans, it hurts a little bit more.

“The fans at Old Trafford have been magnificent. It’s just background noise you can’t help hearing when you’re a United player.

“You have got to learn not to take it on board. You have to remind yourself you got yourself in this position through talent and hard work.

“My skin is a lot thicker now. I go into every game with a clearer head. You have just got to ride out the hard times.

“The history of this club is all about fighting back and I am absolutely determined that my future is here and that I will fight back with it.”

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:26 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
He definitely has become the scapegoat that has been rumbling on from last season and it's totally counterproductive and hampering the fella's form and confidence. Mates of mine are always banging on about how poor he is. Also it really irritates me to hear pundits (ex pro's) asking what does he do. That's a lazy opinion, deliberately ignoring what he does offer. Similar in ways to what Henderson offers Liverpool.

Personally, I've always liked him, I can see what he brings to the team. His game is all about pass and move, his energy around the pitch and pressing when the opposition have the ball. I also think he's better as part of a 3 man central midfield. Moyes pairing him alongside Carrick or Jones in a 2 man isn't helping matters because they look exposed all the time and ball retention is more difficult.

He could certainly add to his game but hounding the lad all the time isn't helping anyone. So for me he should be part of our squad in the future whether Moyes survives or not.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:30 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I like him, but he has been under performing. I feel a bit for him but he needs to man up. He earns big money playing for a big club. He will get scrutinised and he needs to live with it. Good experience for him

The thing with him, he has shown us what he can do, but for whatever reason he's not been doing it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Mr Carrot wrote:
I like him, but he has been under performing. I feel a bit for him but he needs to man up. He earns big money playing for a big club. He will get scrutinised and he needs to live with it. Good experience for him

The thing with him, he has shown us what he can do, but for whatever reason he's not been doing it.

Do you think the system we're constantly churning out under Moyes helps Mr C? We're playing 2 CM's up against 3 game after game. I understand he wanted Rooney in his usual role behind RVP but even when both were out he continued playing 4-4-2. It's been killing us and players like Cleverley all season.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:55 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I don't think Moyes is using the players he has very well for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:58 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think making Cleverley the scape goat is a bit of a joke it's not like anyone has ever declared him Xavi or Scholes why can't he just be an ok footballer who plays for Man Utd it really isn't his fault that the club have made the midfield so weak that he is on paper our 3rd best CM player.

There are way more senior players who are accountable for the poor performances this season and making him the scapegoat is quite frankly ridiculous.

He has struggled for form this season imo he hasn't been as good as he was last season but then the same goes for everyone he needs to address that and find his form again and as he says he's performing a role asked of him by the manager but he needs to be better at it the coaches need to work with him on that.

People always going on about passing sideways well if the forward pass isn't on why not just move the ball around? I haven't been at games this season for various reasons so I can't say if he is or isn't bottling passes that are on as on TV it's hard to tell if he can make a forward pass.

For me he's an easy target because he can't turn around and point to his mountain of medals like the other players can so pundits will take digs at him. For me Cleverley at his best injected speed and purpose into our passing in midfield alongside Carrick he just made things quicker and tried to link up with forwards but this season he maybe has been sitting a little bit deeper which makes passing forward harder as your options are no longer 5 yards away they're 15 yards.

As for the Henderson comparison for me this season Henderson is the best young English CM in the country even ahead of Wilshere & Barkley he's in fine form and has been for a while now but I think he goes a little under the radar because people still think of him as a flop because of that big price tag.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:16 am 
Sergeant-Major
Sergeant-Major

I've heard there is as online petition to for United sell Cleverley. If that's true, it's beyond disgusting. I see all the idiots on some Twitter forum with Carrick used Cleverley as the butt of the jokes too. Those are not United fans; they are internet cancer.

While Cleverley plays the role he's been playing, and we're not winning, it's easy to pick him out as not doing enough. He doesn't score, he doesn't assist, he doesn't create chances and he doesn't tackle. Where he's been told not to get involved in attacks and to do the defensive role, then that is Moyes' fault. That he often just retreats from opposition attacks but doesn't tackle or intercept, that's a failing in Cleverley's game.

It's like he's trying to be a pure midfielder by being neither an AM tactically, nor a DM because he's got no gift for it. He's got the energy to go box to box but doesn't have the force or stature. He's meant to link the defence and the attack, but we're so weak in there he gets overrun as he tries not to pass long.

If we were winning we might be hailing him as our Xavi indeed. Because we're not, he's largely a passenger and part of the problem. But he gets more than his fair share of crap because of it.

I see Cleverley as part of the attacking midfield options. Januzaj must be used cautiously, so Cleverley along with Young, compete for that third part of the attacking 3, assuming Nani and Kagawa gone and Mata and Rooney to fill the other two. With Zaha maybe coming back in the summer he's got competition, but he's actually a very good passer indeed and we want players who can do something other than cross the damn ball. Cleverley can. But he's utterly wasted in a defensive midfield role.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:28 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

You hear a lot of people ask what does Cleverley do? and to be fair to them it's a pretty valid question as apart from short passing I wouldn't say he really excels at any of the other key attributes you'd want in a midfielder he's ok at everything else but not great.

I'd like the manager to come out and give him a bit of support sort of like Liverpool did when those quotes in Fergie's book came out about Henderson they backed him when all the pressure came on Cleverley the maanger didn't come out and support him which I thought was a shame.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 4:51 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

has closed his twitter a/c

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

I want Cleverley and Welbeck to do well for us. The club is about young local lads/fans playing for the club.

But they both, especially Clev, seemed to have stepped into a comfort zone. This may be related to where/how they are being played. But Cleverley especially has shown glimpses of being quality in the past. He got that injury and seemed to go a bit billy big boots with his commercial activities. I'd like to see them both knuckle down a bit.

If he wants to be a big player, he needs to let the abuse wash off him though. You just need to look at the cr@p all the best players get.

There is no reason why Welbeck can't be like Sturridge.

The situation is a bit frustrating for the fans I think.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:30 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

besides the 8-2 mauling of arsenal , tell me one game that he has impacted? all he does is scurry around aimlessly between the defence and attack , only to pass it to carrick who then passes it to valencia , who then impeccably crosses it to the crowd :rolleyes:

yes , we all want him to succeed , but at the moment , he is nothing but a liability , who as JSP incessantly points out , is being fielded for a lack of a better option...

totally agree with you re. welbz...the lad is brilliant but very inconsistent...he is probably one of the most technically sound players at the club... :thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:32 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nee-mania Vidic wrote:
besides the 8-2 mauling of arsenal , tell me one game that he has impacted? all he does is scurry around aimlessly between the defence and attack , only to pass it to carrick who then passes it to valencia , who then impeccably crosses it to the crowd :rolleyes:

yes , we all want him to succeed , but at the moment , he is nothing but a liability , who as JSP incessantly points out , is being fielded for a lack of a better option...

totally agree with you re. welbz...the lad is brilliant but very inconsistent...he is probably one of the most technically sound players at the club... :thumbup:

That has got to be, in many ways, the way Moyes asked him to play though.

Because we know he's got the game to penetrate. When he played higher up the pitch with Welbeck in the reserves they were pretty good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I always thought the TC23 stuff was a bit over the top all that came from an agent just registering a potential future brand of a young English footballer but in all coincided with him getting a bad injury which made him miss a lot of his first season after a really bright start. I thought last season he was alright nothing amazing but he did well alongside Carrick in most games but this season he's gone backwards a bit possibly because of him being asked to play a slightly new role.

Most of all of this is online and to be honest unless you've got something to plug being on twitter as a footballer is largely pointless as it only creates problems because of the number of people who get their kicks by trolling famous people online.

For me he needs better players around him to help him develop and also teach him people to learn from and you have to question if the manager/coaches over recent years have a track record of improving our young players when they have come into the first team.

You can see obvious progression in a player like DDG (who gets a lot of one vs one coaching) and I thought we saw signs of it in Rafael last season although he seems to have gone backwards a bit this season but players like Evans/Smalling/Jones/Cleverley/Welbeck to an extent don't look that much better than they were when they first broke in and most of them have had quite a lot of first team football. What worries me is who is working with these players on a one vs one basis going through match tapes and pointing out specifics they need to work on to improve and then giving them training to improve that are we going in to that level of detail when it comes to developing our players.

I doubt this will happen with Cleverley but look back 12 months as to how cr*p everyone though Aaron Ramsey was.

For me his confidence just looks a bit low.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 8:41 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester United’s tumultuous season cannot be explained by one point or be pinned on one person, regardless of what the ‘Moyes out brigade’ say.

The manager’s debut season at Old Trafford has gone worse than he could have possibly imagined, something he openly admitted himself, as players have underperformed, luck has regularly deserted them and injuries have been inconveniently frequent.

Numerous players have attracted the ire of supporters, with wingers Nani, Antonio Valencia and Ashley Young finding themselves the subjects of ridicule, while Patrice Evra, Rio Ferdinand and Rafael have also drawn criticism.

In midfield, Marouane Fellaini did not convince before his injury, but there is one particular player in the middle of the park who, like the Millenium Falcon, has taken blasts from all sides; Tom Cleverley.

The England international bit back at his critics in a recent interview with the Mirror in which he claimed he had unfairly been made a scapegoat for United’s poor form, while he proceeded to defend himself.

While his decision to talk openly and have his say is admirable – no one can begrudge him the chance to stick up for himself. However, he ended up arguing against himself.

He admitted that he possesses neither the ability to take on multiple opponents or Roy Keane’s lust for tackling, and his defence for regularly passing sideways was that fans “clap” the same passes in Spain.

As true as that may be, Cleverley seems to have forgotten that he is playing for the Premier League champions. How many of the central midfielders at Real Madrid, Barcelona or any other title-chasing European sides fail to excel in any of the three aforementioned areas? Very few.

While his average pass completion percentage of 90 is very good – bettered only by Juan Mata in the United squad in fact – it does not paint the whole picture.

Of those passes, 62.9% were played forward, but where he really falls short is in chance creation. He has made 18 appearances in the Premier League and created just eight opportunities, while in three Champions League games Cleverley has laid on just the solitary chance for his team-mates.

None of these were assists.

Michael Carrick, who most would argue actually plays a deeper role than Cleverley, has created twice as many chances in the league.

Of his 67 attempted tackles, 32 (48%) have been successful. While that could be far worse, the 24-year-old is hardly an intimidating or forceful option in the middle.

Cleverley is by no means the only problem at United or even in their midfield and although he is a steady player, his main limitation is that he has no obvious or outstanding strengths.

He may be right in saying he has been unfairly made a scapegoat, but he is the only one who can prove the doubters wrong.

A little extra attacking emphasis and some proactivity, who knows, maybe he can become more than just the butt of all jokes among United fans.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:08 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Cleverley returns to the side and we already look better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next