AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: Cleverley Does It
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Manchester United youngster Tom Cleverley fantastic form on loan at Watford is set to be rewarded with a new contract by Sir Alex Ferguson, according to skysports.com.

Cleverley, 20, shone on-loan at the crisis hit Championship side last season, netting 11 goals in 33 appearances before his season was cut short by injury. Despite the set back, he was named the Hornets' player of the year and seems to have convinced Ferguson to tie up his Old Trafford future with a three-year extension.

The England under-21 international had previously been linked with a temporary switch to Premier League trio Birmingham City, Newcastle United or Bolton Wanderers. It is not yet known whether the fresh terms will signal another move away from United.

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Cleverley Handed New Contract By Sir Alex
PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:41 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Highscores: 8
Excellent news. I hope he stays with our squad next year and gets a chance or twelve.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:51 am 
Major General
Major General

championship aint that good level ..try to send him to EPL side ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:09 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:

who says we're sending him anywhere?..... and it was a good enough level for Beckham

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:17 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The point is he stood out above most players in the championship and I'd argue that apart from the top 7 or 8 teams the championship is just as strong as the bottom of the premiership which in footballing terms is poor. If you really wanted to improve him as a player send him abroad to develop his tactical play or my choice would be integrate him in the first team next season Carling Cup, bench etc and give the kid a chance.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:06 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

JSP wrote:
The point is he stood out above most players in the championship and I'd argue that apart from the top 7 or 8 teams the championship is just as strong as the bottom of the premiership which in footballing terms is poor. If you really wanted to improve him as a player send him abroad to develop his tactical play or my choice would be integrate him in the first team next season Carling Cup, bench etc and give the kid a chance.

Does that really happen in England? Apart from Matt Derbyshire I can't recall any English lad going off on loan anywhere in this century...

Anyway glad he's staying and yes hope he gets chances..same for Obertan if he can stop with his slightly headless chicken impersonations lol!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:45 am 
Major General
Major General

Resurrection Joe wrote:
pakrooney wrote:

who says we're sending him anywhere?..... and it was a good enough level for Beckham

My point is he wont get much time at united .. you can argue on that..... but EPL and Championship is diff level of football .. he cant improve much in league 1 unless he is ready for first team football at united and he can be thrown in to the mix of EPl matches ..My intention was not to degrade him and it would be better for him to play in EPL side so he can gain xperience..few mins here and there at united wont be good for his development as he is very good prospect ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:55 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:
Does that really happen in England? Apart from Matt Derbyshire I can't recall any English lad going off on loan anywhere in this century...

Anyway glad he's staying and yes hope he gets chances..same for Obertan if he can stop with his slightly headless chicken impersonations lol!

We used to have a link with NEC in Holland quite a few of our kids went there and I think we had something with Braga which is why Possebon went there last season.

The main problem is that some fans will expect any player coming in to be Ronaldo and will moan and groan when they see him in the team. My mates who are sort of typical of this constantly dig at Welbeck who when he's played as notched some goals and shown a few signs but isn't consistent then a week later they moan that there's no good kids coming through.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:00 am 
Colonel
Colonel

JSP wrote:
ManMoreFyahYoo wrote:

We used to have a link with NEC in Holland quite a few of our kids went there and I think we had something with Braga which is why Possebon went there last season.

The main problem is that some fans will expect any player coming in to be Ronaldo and will moan and groan when they see him in the team. My mates who are sort of typical of this constantly dig at Welbeck who when he's played as notched some goals and shown a few signs but isn't consistent then a week later they moan that there's no good kids coming through.

The link is or was with Royal Antwerp and Sporting Lisbon. I believe the Lisbon one was kyboshed by a UEFA decree or something. Antwerp we are somehow not as involved in but I believe if we were to have a player struggling for work permit they'd be sent there in a shot.

NEC I think loaned one or both of David and Richie Jones. That's been all that went that direction.

There's teams in La Liga and Serie A that I think would be happy to take on a couple of United Youth/Reserve team players, but they probably don't want to sully their own youth promotions.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:24 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Manchester United youngster Tom Cleverley has his heart set on a loan move to Newcastle United after Sir Alex Ferguson made him available, according to the Sunday Sun.

Cleverley, 20, is seen as a star of the future at Old Trafford and will be sent to get Premier League experience next term. After winning the player of the year award while at Watford last season, the midfielder has also been targeted by Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United.

The England under-21 international is being considered by the Magpies as they look to bolster their squad for their return to the top flight.

Ferguson's insistence that his charge must enjoy regular first-team action could yet scupper the switch to St James' Park, however, as manager Chris Hughton weighs up other options.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:31 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

A loan move if he gets some first team premier league football seems like the "Smart" thing to do for cleverley

IMO

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:35 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
I wouldn't let him anywhere near Newcastle.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:38 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

PMDK wrote:
I wouldn't let him anywhere near Newcastle.

I think it's a half decent move but as long as Houghton remains in charge for once they've got a manager with his head screwed on none of this we have to play with flair stuff he's made them disciplined.

Also, relegation for me has done them a world of good they will no longer throw money at a problem and live beyond their means which they did for so long under the previous owners. If Ashley hadn't of took over I honestly think they'd of been worse than Pompey when that all went bang. Also, the fans are expecting a relegation battle this season which for the first time in my memory they seem to be realistic about what they can achieve.

2 or 3 seasons ago I'd of agreed 100% about sending players to Newcastle but now I think it's a decent option their squad is very weak so he will get games if he plays well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:11 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Of those mentioned I'd rather he got to Bolton or West Ham to work with Coyle or Grant, but Hughton is doing a good job at Newcastle so it's not the worst option in the world.

Was thinking we might see a bit of him in a United shirt this season, but SAF obviously doesn't think he's ready for that.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:27 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Wherever he goes will become my second team for the season, going to be keeping a close eye on him as I think he could be one of the few that actually comes back and makes a go of it with us.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Bolton Wanderers are the latest Premier League side to enter the race to land Manchester United youngster Tom Cleverley on loan, according to the Bolton News.

The 20-year-old has followed lifting the Watford Player of the Year title while in the Championship last season with a series of impressive performances in United's North American tour.

Despite shining this summer, manager Sir Alex Ferguson has stated he is likely to sanction another temporary exit to allow the England under-21 international to continue developing.

Newcastle United were believed to be ahead of Wigan Athletic, Sunderland and Blackpool in the race to land his signature. However, Bolton manager Owen Coyle has now entered the fray and is hopeful Jack Wilshere's eye-opening spell at the club while borrowed from Arsenal will convince United to send him to the Reebok Stadium.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:40 am 
Major General
Major General

He is better off to magpies

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:14 am 
Colonel
Colonel

pakrooney wrote:

Not anymore. Coyle likes to play football and showed the country what Wilshere was about when Arsene was scared to.

Bolton would be my preferred destination for Cleverley for definite. Coyle would be a better manager for his situation than Hughton, and I wouldn't want Cleverley to get a Rossi type situation at Newcastle. Don't trust them after that loan signing.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:18 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
the nut's named eric wrote:
pakrooney wrote:

Not anymore. Coyle likes to play football and showed the country what Wilshere was about when Arsene was scared to.

Bolton would be my preferred destination for Cleverley for definite. Coyle would be a better manager for his situation than Hughton, and I wouldn't want Cleverley to get a Rossi type situation at Newcastle. Don't trust them after that loan signing.

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:18 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Agree about Bolton they could become an excellant "feeder club" for the big teams under Coyle as he will get them passing the ball about properly rather than the kick and rush style they've had under Allardyce and Megson.

Newcastle will be very much about hitting the big men early this season as the only premiership quality player they have in midfield is Lovenkrands.

Barton, Smith & Nolan for me have a lot to prove at this level.

They will hit the likes of Carroll & Ameobi early and look to play off them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 282 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next