AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next
 Post subject: Re: Arsenal: Gooner News
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
What we think of Wenger dropping Sanchez and Ozil. Both have 15 months left on their contracts.

Talk is Juve for £25m if that's the case surely go after Sanchez not Griezemann

But with age my hopes have faded

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
What we think of Wenger dropping Sanchez and Ozil. Both have 15 months left on their contracts.

Talk is Juve for £25m if that's the case surely go after Sanchez not Griezemann

Ozil wasn't fit so can't say he left him out but even if he was fit then I think he has to be benched in big away games. Fantastic footballer but not the guy you want when you won't be dominating possession.

Sanchez was strange you wonder if something has happened behind the scenes for him to be benched given he's their best player by a mile. There were claims it was tactical as they wanted to go direct to Giroud but surely if you do that you just move Sanchez wide?

1) no way will they sell to Juve for 25m even with 1 year on the contract they'll get over 30m
2) IF we went for him the price would double as there's no release clause
3) would he join us? I don't think so I think he's looking for clubs who are ready now to win titles including European cup

The reality with Sanchez is if we'd been more on the ball with scouting we'd have got him from Udinese or when he left Barca but he just seems like a guy who's never been on our radar.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Alexis Sánchez stormed out of an Arsenal training session last week and was involved in a dressing-room slanging match with some of his team-mates – which was, seemingly, part of the reason why Arsène Wenger dropped him from the starting XI at Liverpool on Saturday.

The Chile forward, who is Arsenal’s undoubted star, has cut an increasingly agitated figure over recent weeks as the club’s hopes of success in the Premier League and Champions League have fizzled out. His emotions bubbled over during the preparations for the league visit to Anfield.

Sánchez stunned his team-mates by walking out of the session and, when they returned to the changing rooms to find him, there were angry words between some of them and him. The flashpoint is believed to have kicked off after an incident with another player.

Sánchez, who joined Arsenal from Barcelona in 2014, is stalling on signing a new contract at the club. The 28‑year‑old’s deal expires in the summer of 2018 and there are fears that he could try to force a move at the end of the season. The training‑ground bust-up will do nothing to counter the impression that Sánchez has had enough at Arsenal. Several leading clubs are monitoring his situation – chief among them are Paris Saint-Germain and Juventus.

As predicted this story has appeared in almost every paper sounds like someone has leaked it turn the fans on him a bit to take it off wenger.

If he has done this then wenger totally right to drop him shouldn't have even put him on the bench

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:56 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

“I have been told from good sources that Henry is indeed the choice of the Kroenke family, although that does not mean 100% he will take-over but it is a mighty big thumbs up from the owners and a huge pointer to who the club are favouring,” Graham Bailey confirmed to TheGamblingTimes.com.

“Henry himself, I understand, would be only too happy to step into the role, although he would likely have someone alongside him – and we have heard whispers that Roberto Martinez, who he is working with in his Belgium role now – could be that man.

wow. now that would be an inspired yet risky choice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Nee-mania Vidic wrote:
“I have been told from good sources that Henry is indeed the choice of the Kroenke family, although that does not mean 100% he will take-over but it is a mighty big thumbs up from the owners and a huge pointer to who the club are favouring,” Graham Bailey confirmed to TheGamblingTimes.com.

“Henry himself, I understand, would be only too happy to step into the role, although he would likely have someone alongside him – and we have heard whispers that Roberto Martinez, who he is working with in his Belgium role now – could be that man.

wow. now that would be an inspired yet risky choice

So what they're suggesting is that Martinez will quit his job with the Belguim national team to become the assistant to his current assistant at Arsenal?

It would be a very brave move to put Henry in charge but not sure you can call it inspired it's just doing what Barca/Madrid have done and hoping that it works out ignoring the fact that it didn't work at other clubs who just put a legendary ex player in charge hoping he could do the job.

I don't think Arsenal can f*ck about right now with this sort of stuff they need an experienced man to hold the fort for a few years 20 years of one man calling all the shots needs a strong man to take it on don't make the same mistake Utd did and give the job to one of the boys.

The best thing the club can do now is call time on Wenger themselves take the decision away from him because as it stands it feels like he'll just keep going next season. It needs a decision to be made now say he's leaving at the end of the season and try and build some positive vibes at the club to make sure he goes out on a high.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:08 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

oh dear Arsenal

10-2 annihilation on aggregate

surely, the final nail in the coffin for the manager

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:06 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Take the decision out of his hands and withdraw the new contract offer.

The board at that club are terrified of having to make football decisions without him though as they don't know how to do it they are loyal to Wenger as he's been the man who's delivered the dollar year on year for them with top 4 finishes they are clearly terrified that they might do a Moyes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Rio Ferdinand believes that Alexis Sanchez will follow in the footsteps of Cesc Fabregas and Robin van Persie as the latest star to leave Arsenal in the search of major trophies.

Sanchez’s contract at the Emirates Stadium expires in summer 2018, and with the club’s embarrassing 10-2 aggregate defeat to Bayern Munich in the Champions League last-16, his exit appears more likely with each passing day.

Speaking to BT Sport, Ferdinand explained that this is not an unfamiliar situation for the club to find itself in.

“I think we’re at a place where Arsenal football club and Arsenal fans are used to being, where their star player wants to leave for pastures new to win trophies,” he said.

“We’ve seen it with Cesc Fabregas, with [Bacary] Sagna, with Robin van Persie, with [Gael] Clichy with [Samir] Nasri, they were all integral parts of this football club left to go win trophies and we’re here again with Sanchez.”

When asked whether he thought there was a chance that Sanchez could stay, Ferdinand replied: “No, I don’t.”

He added: “He’s someone who’s winning with Chile – he wants to do it with club football and he doesn’t see that happening here.

“I do think in players’ lifespans at football clubs there are moments that makes a player make his mind up, the Bayern game was a huge moment for Sanchez – that he thought ‘I am so far away from winning this elite trophy’ because they’ve been beaten out of sight.”

Ferdinand then turned his attention to the fans who protested outside the Emirates Stadium before the game.

Some 200 supporters called for Wenger’s sacking ahead of the match, chanting that the Frenchman was “killing out club”.

“I think they need to be careful with what they wish for,” Ferdinand said.

“They’re used to winning leagues, it’s gone badly recently but they’re in the Champions League every year.”

I think he's 100% right about Sanchez everything points to him leaving the club in the summer and I guess Arsenal and their fans just hope it's to a club in Europe not another PL club as those moves sting but with only 12 months left on his deal they could be left with little to no choice if Sanchez decides he wants to go to a rival.

As for the comments about fans I don't think he could be more wrong the fans at Arsenal have a right to protest and in this case they're just sick of the same thing over and over again they're expected to pay their £1000 a year for the season ticket and watch the team stand still? There's no progression Arsenal's seasons are remarkably consistent they flirt with a title challenge but end up finishing top 4 after they collapse, get knocked out of the CL at the same point sometimes they are well and truely embarrased in these games as well they're rarely competitive ties over 2 legs.

Are Arsenal fans used to winning leagues? 3 league titles in 25 years is hardly used to winning leagues especially when the last one of them was over a decade ago.

Arsenal as a club have become obsessed with this idea of being in the top 4 as being a marker of success for a club like Arsenal that is failure their ambition has to be to be number 1 like it is at Chelsea, City, Utd and Liverpool. Qualifying for the CL consistently is great if you stand a chance of winning it Arsenal get nowhere near it every year and I can see why after a while fans have just got sick of going through the motions with it there is no sign of improvement despite changing the players they sill fail over and over again.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:13 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Arsenal have offered Mesut Ozil a £280,000-a-week contract to stay at the club, but fellow midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain looks increasingly likely to leave in the summer - with Manchester City and Manchester United interested. (Daily Mirror)

Ozil, 28, has reportedly not responded to the latest contract offer from Arsenal of £200,000 a week. (Daily Telegraph)

Ozil is a great player BUT does he really deserve these sort of wages based on his performances in big games and his performances generally this season?

As for the Ox I think there would be a lot of teams interested in taking him there's clearly talent there and you wonder if he'd thrive outside of that nanny state culture that seems to exist at Arsenal.

Quote:
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger, 67, must prove he can reinvent himself with a squad revamp and tactical tweaks before being given a new contract after his current deal expires at the end of the season. (Daily Mirror)

The Arsenal hierarchy remain supportive of Wenger, despite the 10-2 aggregate Champions League humiliation at the hands of Bayern Munich and believe he can prove he deserves to stay on beyond the end of the season. (Guardian)

Gunners forward Theo Walcott, 27, made a 'call to arms' to his team-mates after admitting to training ground bust-ups, dressing room moles and a lack of control by staff. (Daily Express)

Former Arsenal goalkeeper Jens Lehmann has backed Wenger to continue at the helm next season, insisting the Frenchman still has the "intelligence and fire" to lead the club to success. (Talksport)

There is the problem at Arsenal the board won't listen to the fans and just seem to be ignoring the results on the pitch there seems to be no interest in trying to improve things they're happy with things remaining as they are as it suits their interests which is to make money and not win trophies.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:28 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Ozil and Sanchez are playing the waiting game. It has become apparent that this manager has a lot to do in terms of convincing not only the fans but the players too. Their futures will be effected by what step Kroenke takes in the summer.

I also feel the club needs a clear out . The generation of players, Wenger thought would turn into super stars, have let him and the fans down

Ramsey - 10 years at the club and I am yet to see what he does

Walcott - yet to find his best position and too inconsistent (but has scored 100 goals :D )

Wilshere - has his moments sporadically but that is just about it

who else? Yaya Sanogo, Joel Campbell(on loan , is he ?) ,Nacho Monreal to name a few more

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:44 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think it's hard to criticise Ramsey he lost the best part of 2 years with that leg break and he hasn't been the same since but it would seem that the club has issues with training regimes as the number of injuries they get is bordering on ridiculous Wilshere, Ox, Walcott, Ramsey, Welbeck all seem to miss 2-3 months of every season a variety of injuries.

I think we saw what Ramsey can do at the Euro's played as a number 10 I think he could be as effective as players like Alli or Barkley etc but he never gets to play that role at Arsenal he's either shoved on the wing or played deeper which doesn't really suit him he's an attacking player. I actually think he needs to get out of Arsenal step down a level to say Stoke/West Ham that middle tier and really show people what he can do.

The club needs a clear out and that starts with Wenger the new manager should then be allowed to cull his squad as he sees fit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:32 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Arsenal midfielder Mesut Ozil, 28, and forward Alexis Sanchez, 28, are demanding wages in line with midfielder Paul Pogba's £290,000-a-week salary at Manchester United. (London Evening Standard)

Germany international Ozil says his future at the club does not depend on manager Arsene Wenger staying with the Gunners. The 67-year-old Frenchman, in charge since 1996, is out of contract at the end of the season. (Bild, via Daily Express)

Former Bayern Munich manager Ottmar Hitzfeld says the German champions could make a move for Arsenal midfielder Granit Xhaka, 24. (Daily Star)

At 28 you can see these guys want the big pay day contracts but Ozil's performances this season just don't warrant it he's been pretty poor this season and his performances in big games is laughable so not sure he can demand the crazy salary but him and Sanchez have worked it perfectly.

Apparently they've become a bit isolated from the group in training they're keeping themselves to themselves and not really integrating.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:59 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Arsenal will make an audacious bid to land France international striker Antoine Griezmann, should Alexis Sanchez leave north London this summer.

The 25-year-old Atletico Madrid frontman is being heavily linked with a summer move away from the LaLiga side.

Manchester United boss Jose Mourinho is a huge admirer of Griezmann and has been tipped to launch a big-money move.

But, according to Tuttosport, Arsenal are ready to battle it out with their Premier League rivals for his signature.

With the Griezmann having €100m (£87m) release clause in his current deal, the Italian journal suggests that Arsenal are prepared to loosen the purse strings this summer with or without Arsene Wenger at the helm.

And with a potential sale of Sanchez collecting a further £35m, Arsenal will have the financial power to force through a deal for the highly-rated forward.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Arsenal/Man Utd involved in big ballsy transfer rumours around the time season ticket renewals go out :wink:

Griezmann seems to have made it pretty clear that he's happy at Atletico Madrid the only way he leaves is if they basically tell him they need him to go because they need the money.

If Sanchez does go they will need a big name striker to replace him as fans are going to be p*ssed off

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:04 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Arsene Wenger has said he will announce his plans “very soon” after reaching a decision about his future as Arsenal manager.

Wenger would not confirm what that decision was but the Frenchman is under increasing pressure with Arsenal’s season on the brink of collapse after six defeats in the last nine matches in all competitions.

The Gunners lost again on Saturday, a 3-1 defeat at West Brom leaving them in fifth place in the Premier League and five points adrift of the Champions League qualification spots.

It led to Wenger being asked questions again regarding his future – with his contract set to expire at the end of the season.

“I know what I will do so you will know very soon. You will see,” said Wenger. “Today I do not worry about that.”

Wenger had previously said that he had yet to decide what he would do, with the offer of a new two-year contract on the table.

The 67-year-old, who has been in charge of Arsenal since 1996, continues to divide opinion among the club’s supporters. Anti-Wenger fans flew a plane over The Hawthorns trailing a banner asking him to leave while another later proclaimed “In Arsene We Trust #RESPECTAW”.

“I watch the game, I do not watch the stands,” said Wenger.

“I believe we have to deal with that and you focus on your job, no matter what people think.”

Asked if he felt making his intentions public might help change the atmosphere among supporters, he replied: “I don’t know. We are in a unique bad patch like we’ve never had in 20 years where we lose game after game at the moment and that is much more important than my future.”

The Arsenal boss, who insisted that he had not informed anyone at the club of his decision, does not necessarily think the uncertainty surrounding his future is impacting on his players.

“I don’t know about that,” said Wenger.

“In this job it is like having a problem with your engine, there are problems but you have to find the most important one.

“The most important one today was that we had 77 per cent of possession and didn’t create many chances. We have to focus on that.”

Defeat against West Brom leaves Arsenal with an uphill struggle to finish in the top four for the 21st consecutive year under Wenger.

The Gunners fell behind to Craig Dawson’s header but Alexis Sanchez quickly equalised. A defensive error led to Hal Robson-Kanu restoring West Brom’s lead early in the second half before another Dawson header extended the hosts’ advantage.

Both of Dawson’s goals came from set-pieces, leading to fans and pundits alike questioning Arsenal’s attitude.

However, Wenger feels a lack of confidence rather than an attitude problems is at the root of Arsenal’s current issues.

“I don’t see any of the signs of a lack of attitude,” he said.

“You can always use that criticism when you lose a game but I think we took the responsibility to take the game to them, although it didn’t work today.

“I think we are short of confidence but I don’t think it’s an attitude problem.

“We have a big fight and it will be very difficult now (to finish in the top four) but there is no other way than fighting and going down to the last game of the season and then if it is not good enough we have to take the consequences.

“Maybe one day if we don’t do it then people will enjoy it being there,” added Wenger in a jibe at those who have questioned whether consistently qualifying for the Champions League should be seen as a success.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Arsenal midfielder Ray Parlour believes that the club’s fans deserve to know what is happening over the future of Arsene Wenger.

Wenger said after the game that he will announce his future “very soon”, but Arsenal are suffering while the uncertainty continues. They are now in serious danger of missing out on the top four.

Speaking on Goals on Sunday on Sky Sports, Parlour says that he believes Wenger is “stressed out” by the way Arsenal are playing. He also believes Wenger will have kept his decision private.

“Without a doubt Wenger is suffering,” Parlour told Sky Sports’ Goals on Sunday.

“He loves the club to bits but at the moment it’s going against him so much and he doesn’t want to see his team lacking confidence.

“You can see that he is stressed out at the moment. When I played under him you could see he was great fun, but you can see that it’s really getting to him at the moment…the way their playing.

“I don’t think a lot of people will know what he’s going to do. Not even his backroom staff.

But he’s probably going to come out – I imagine very soon – and they [the fans] deserve to know what is happening next season.”

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:49 am 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

Reports that the club have approached Tuchel, now seem to be false. According to the Guardian, the Board is happy to keep Wenger and but are yet to ascertain how to 'package' the announcement of his extension

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:03 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Yep most places reporting today that Wenger has said he wants to stay but the clubs position is it will be a mutual decision.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:22 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Arsenal will make a £25m offer for Barcelona's Turkey midfielder Arda Turan, 30, in the summer before the probable departures of Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil, 28, and Chile forward Alexis Sanchez, 28. (Times - subscription required)

World Cup winner Ozil, who has been linked with Fenerbahce, is too good to move to Turkey, says former Germany midfielder Michael Ballack. (Talksport)

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger says fans need to get some "perspective" and remember what he has done for the club. (Bein Sports, via Daily Mirror

Arsenal may have to make an announcement on Wenger's future imminently in order to comply with stock market rules. (Daily Express)

Gunners midfielder Jack Wilshere, 25, is unlikely to stay at loan club Bournemouth beyond this season, and will consider a move abroad.(Bleacher Report)

I think Wenger needs to remember that it's over 10 years since he delivered a league title and it's coming up on 10 years since they last made a semi final of the CL. In those 10 years how many serious title challenges have they had 2 maybe 3 nearly every other season the team has collapsed in February/March it's almost ground hog day situation the last proper title challenge I think they had was in 2007-08 which I think was theh season Eduardo had that horror injury.

Arsenal are one of the richest clubs in the world and they've started spending that money recently but he hasn't been finding the gems he used to and he isn't able to attract the worlds top talent anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:29 am 
Major General
Major General

If they splash out world record fees would a player be willing to play under wenger or arsenal ?? Chelsea City United have bucket load of bucks idont think X player would be willing to play under wenger when u have conte guardiola mourinho all having delivered titles Cups and CL trophy at diff clubs ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 64, 65, 66, 67, 68  Next