Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Football for Sale ~ Corruption
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:55 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Southampton assistant manager Eric Black gave undercover reporters advice on how to bribe officials at other clubs, the Daily Telegraph has claimed.

Black, 52, was filmed apparently naming staff at other clubs who could be induced to pass on information about players to a company for money.

Such payments would be against Football Association rules.

Black, who oversaw Aston Villa's final seven Premier League matches last season, has denied the allegations.

"It doesn't take too much to get these people involved," Black says in the covert recording.

"They won't have an awful lot of money."

Former Aberdeen striker Black quotes a figure of "a couple of grand", which the Telegraph claims was his suggestion of a suitable payment to an unnamed assistant coach at a Championship side in return for introducing players to the undercover reporters' fictitious agency.

Black denies suggesting that any football official should be paid, saying that his "couple of grand" comment related to a freelance scout that an agency looking to break into the football industry might approach.

Under FA rules, intermediaries "must not give, offer or seek to offer, any consideration of any kind" to a club official "in return for any benefit, service, favour or any kind of preferential treatment".

A spokesperson for Black said his client did not recall the possibility of bribing officials being mentioned.

"This was not the purpose of the meeting so far as our client understood it. Any suggestion that he was complicit in such discussions is false," the spokesperson added.

Southampton said they were "fully committed" to investigating the claims and intend to work closely with the Premier League and FA on them.

Black has held permanent managerial posts at Motherwell and Coventry, as well as having caretaker spells at Birmingham, Sunderland, Blackburn, Rotherham and Villa.

He played for Aberdeen and French side Metz and won three caps for Scotland before he became a coach at Celtic.

The allegations about Black are the latest from the Daily Telegraph's investigation into corruption in football.

On Thursday, Barnsley assistant boss Tommy Wright was sacked over claims he took cash for trying to engineer certain transfers. Wright has "categorically denied" the claims.

Sam Allardyce left his post as England manager on Tuesday, making a "whole-hearted apology" in the wake of allegations in the newspaper that he offered advice on how to "get around" rules on player transfers.

The FA said it has been liaising with The Daily Telegraph and City of London Police over the allegations, adding it would meet police next week.

So we're a week into the Daily Telegraph reports on corruption in English Football.

So far as a result of this

Allardyce has resigned as England Manager
Tommy Wright (assistant manager) has been sacked by Barnsley
QPR have backed Hasselbaink over allegations against him
Southampton have said they'll investigate allegations against their assistant manager

There are reports of 8 names being on a list but so far they've only named the small names since they broke the Allardyce story you have to feel this is building to something big at the weekend.

My issue is how do they expect the FA to be able to regulate this they have no idea where all the money goes and it would be impossible for them to track it unless they catch someone in a sting operation but in reality who's actually getting hurt here?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Football for Sale ~ Corruption
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 1:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Mark Hughes believes that the names of all managers involved in murky dealings should be named.

This week, the Daily Telegraph reported that eight current or recent Premier League managers had been implicated in an investigation that saw England manager Sam Allardyce lose his job.

That has led to rumours of the identity of those managers circling, which Stoke manager Hughes believes is unhelpful.

“If there’s evidence certain individuals have been involved in things they shouldn’t have been, then it’s important those guys are named,” Hughes said.

“Because if they aren’t then everybody else is guilty by association by virtue of being a manager or coach in football.

“Then everybody else is seen in the correct light because at the moment there’s a lot of debate about who’s involved and who isn’t.

“I have to say in all honesty I never have [taken a bung].

“In all walks of life there’s temptation and if temptation is put in front of certain individuals they make the wrong decisions. But it’s not just a football problem.

“Clearly there seems to be an issue and it needs resolving quickly for everybody’s sake.”

Hughes is right until they release the list everyone is presumed guilty.

The only 2 PL guys named so far are Allardyce & Black (caretaker at Aston Villa)

Speculation is all over the internet over who the others are obvious names like Bruce, Redknapp, Pulis, Hughes (basically any british PL manager over 50 years old) etc are on these lists going around social media.

We might finally find out just how much Fergie made off the Bebe deal :laugh:

Post subject: Re: Football for Sale ~ Corruption
PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:17 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink has vehemently denied requesting a fee of £55,000 to work for a fake Far Eastern firm seeking to sell players to Queens Park Rangers, but does admit he was naive.

Hasselbaink was caught up in the Daily Telegraph's "Football for Sale" scandal, which has rocked English football this week.

Secretly-filmed footage of Sam Allardyce appearing to make a variety of controversial comments cost him the England job after just 67 days, while QPR boss Hasselbaink is among other figures to have been filmed by undercover reporters as part of the investigation.

The Dutchman is alleged to have negotiated the fee to fly to the Far East and speak to investors in what proved to be a fictitious firm, which the newspaper says made clear it was interested in getting involved in player transfers.

In an exclusive interview with Sky Sports News HQ, Hasselbaink denies he would ever seek to profit from a player transfer: "No, never. I have never been offered any money and I would never entertain that."

When asked whether he had regrets, Hasselbaink said: "Big time. Big time. You know you reflect, you think back and you criticise yourself and you must say, that I have been naive. I have been naive.

Hasselbaink denies any wrongdoing after being named in a Daily Telegraph investigation

"But then with everything with it, I have never asked for money for myself to take a player or to bring a player to the club. I would never do that.

"That is the painful thing about it. The painful thing about it is that I take my job very serious. Very, very, very serious and I want to succeed in this business.

"I can't speak for others, I can only speak for me and this, taking money, is not what I stand for. It is not what I stand for, I have never done it and I would never do it just to get a player to the club so I can benefit from that. No."

Hasselbaink insists he was only discussing being paid to speak in the Far East on a day off from QPR - something that is sanctioned by a clause in his contract with the club - and that he has no control over transfers, which are handled by Les Ferdinand and the QPR board.

He also rejected the idea that the proposed fee of £55,000 was disproportionately high for a mere speaking engagement, explaining that type of figure is not uncommon in football.

Hasselbaink said: "I understand for the English public, or whatever public, that £55,000 is a lot of money. And it is a lot of money. But in the industry that I am in I am fortunate that I can make those kinds of figures.

"I was negotiating to go Singapore for a speech. That's it. That's it. No favouritism, no strings attached. What I would never ever do. Never ever do. I would not put myself in that position."