Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Paul Scholes... Real Talk
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The first thing that struck me about England on Monday night was the energy in the team. There were players all over that pitch who are strong athletes capable of running all night and putting pressure on Switzerland.

Roy Hodgson picked a team with the ability to stretch the opposition. Fabian Delph has that quality in his game and although he was a bit rash in the opening stages of the match I thought he did quite well on his debut. Jordan Henderson can run, so too Raheem Sterling. As for Danny Welbeck, he has always had the ability to get from one penalty box to the next in the time it takes some to reach the halfway line.

I was pleased for Danny that he got two goals after eight days in which his career has changed in a big way. I have said before that, as a Manchester United fan, I am sorry to see Danny go to Arsenal. He will be a good signing for them. He gives every team he plays for something different, and never more so than on the counter-attack when he covers that pitch from end-to-end at an incredible speed.

The pace of Welbeck and Sterling, allied with the quality of Wayne Rooney, made England look dangerous against Switzerland. Having played in St Jakob-Park for United against Basel in the Champions League in 2002, I was struck by how subdued it felt on Monday night. When I played there, the place was bouncing. Especially when they scored in the first minute.

I was pleasantly surprised by the way England played but then we have been here before. In the four tournament qualification campaigns that I played in it was the same for England. We were accomplished in qualifying and then, at the tournament itself, something was just missing.

Before the game, given injuries and the kind of mood the team was in, I feared for England. As it unfolded a few things became clear. First of all, that an England team should expect to beat this Switzerland side, regardless of the difference in their current Fifa rankings. Looking through the Swiss side, Johan Djourou, for example, is not a player who was successful in the Premier League. Valon Behrami came and went at West Ham. Only Xherdan Shaqiri really stood out as a player of top quality.

I still have my concerns about the diamond formation in midfield and most of all about Jack Wilshere’s role in it. Don’t get me wrong, Jack has great ability and at some point I hope that he will be in a position to score goals and to create them. But I just do not believe that playing in front of the back four, on his own, suits him.

Wilshere is an attacking midfielder, as I was for most of my career. He is not a defensive midfielder and I feel at the moment he is stuck between the two roles. He is being asked to control the play from a deep position, which does not play to his strengths.

As an attacking midfielder at United, I was lucky to play alongside some of the best defensively-minded midfielders in the game: Nicky Butt, Roy Keane and Michael Carrick. What they gave me was the confidence to get forward, to take risks and score goals safe in the knowledge that they would provide the cover.

It was not just me at United who benefited from that kind of partnership. For much of his career at Chelsea, Frank Lampard was given the same protection by the likes of Claude Makélélé.

In my case I had the trust in my team-mates in midfield that if we lost the ball they were capable of covering. On top of that I played in front of great centre-halves like Jaap Stam, Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, who had the ability to take the ball off strikers with ease. It was another layer of protection that you need as an attacking midfielder.

I feel that Wilshere does not have that freedom. He is caught between being an attacking midfielder and one with defensive responsibilities. At Arsenal he does not have the security of a top-level defensive midfielder alongside him. It is the same with England.

The problem in assessing this England side is that, once again, we will not know their true potential until we get to France in the summer of 2016. The qualification group is the most straightforward I have known. There will be friendlies against decent countries, but they are just friendlies. It is a completely different prospect to competitive games in tournament football.

As ever, England do not get beaten that often outside of tournaments. In 1998, the first of my two World Cup finals, we lost on penalties to Argentina in the last 16. Four years later in Japan in 2002 we reached a quarter-final. That time I really felt that the heat was against us in Shizuoka. In some instances, it can be the small margins. Then you have to step back and look at the bigger picture.

When you reach a tournament you are, by the very nature of elite football, up against the best players in the world. It is at this point that you are really tested and England – including the England teams that I have been part of – have come up short in that regard. It really is often as simple as that. People try out lots of theories when it comes to England’s failings in international tournaments. You’re up against the best, and in that company we have come up short.

It has not all been bad. There were times with England when I came off the pitch and felt like I had been part of something special. I cared deeply about how I played for England. I retired relatively early from international football because I felt that was the best decision for my career at the time, but I have never stopped watching the team and, like any other Englishman, I always hope that they win.

The rest of this qualification group should be an easy ride for Roy and his players. There will be the usual ups and downs in the friendlies along the way. But we will only truly see if this England side really has the capacity to be different from its predecessors when they reach France.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Paul Scholes... Real Talk
PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:41 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester United legend Paul Scholes has accused Manchester City midfielder Yaya Toure of lacking interest, claiming the player "ambles about".

Scholes, 39, made the comments in his column in the Independent following City's 1-0 Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich on Wednesday.

"He just did not look interested," said Scholes, of the 31-year-old Ivorian's performance.

"The amount of time I saw opponents get in behind him was quite remarkable."

Despite a fine performance from goalkeeper Joe Hart, City went down to a late strike from their former defender Jerome Boateng.

"Yaya Toure's lack of defensive work in midfield has become a major problem for them," continued Scholes.

"Fellow midfielder Fernandinho is having to do the work of two players defensively. City could have been three or four goals down within the first half-an-hour. They cannot afford any passengers in Europe.

"If they have any chance of breaking through the last 16 in the Champions League then they need to play two holding midfielders who are prepared to work back, rather than just one. Pellegrini would be looking at either leaving out Toure or moving him further forward.

"Toure just seems to amble about."

Speculation Toure, who signed a new four-year contract last year, was unsettled at Etihad Stadium emerged in the summer following a row over a birthday cake.

He was not in Pellegrini's squad for Saturday's 2-2 Premier League draw at Arsenal but played a full 90 minutes in Germany.

City host title rivals Chelsea on Sunday.

This is very true of Toure at this level but I'm not sure he's doing it out of choice he's 31 years old now and he's being asked to be a box to box player I just don't think he has the energy levels to do it. At Barca he sat deep in midfield and didn't burst forward but at City his role is to break forward from deep and he does it to devestating effect but what it does mean is he struggles to get back which is what Fernandinho is for.

I think in Europe away from home he'd be better suited to a 3 man midfield with Fernando & Fernandinho that could cover his break forwards but this would mean asking Silva to play a disciplined role from one of the wings.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:38 pm 
Major General
Major General

He had a great season but I think he looks tired tbh as Africans have tons of stamina despite being 31.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 4:02 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

That's a very generic statment Pak it would be like suggesting that beause he's 31 and African he could actually be 41 we all know how all those African players like to change their names.

He's got a lot of long hard seasons in his legs and I don't think he was ever the fittest player anyway he was never one to go charging around the pitch chasing every ball.

There is also the question over how much he actually cares he clearly wanted to leave in the summer for whatever reason so maybe he just can't be bothered?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:28 pm 
Major General
Major General

Fair enough .. I do believe he is not bothered .. long season with WC and he wasnt valued (no payrise) on back of great season but last season whenever he was not in the starting 11 ..citeh struggled.

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:28 pm 
Major General
Major General

Fair enough .. I do believe he is not bothered .. long season with WC and he wasnt valued (no payrise) on back of great season but last season whenever he was not in the starting 11 ..citeh struggled.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:57 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former Manchester United midfielder Paul Scholes says the club's play is "miserable" and failing their attacking traditions.

Louis van Gaal has defended his tactics after West Ham counterpart Sam Allardyce called the Dutchman's side "long-ball United".

Scholes wrote in the Independent: "At the moment I'm struggling to watch Van Gaal's team with any great enjoyment.

"At times, United's football is miserable," he added.

"To beat opposing teams you have to attack, and to attack you have to take risks. Too few of the players in the current team are prepared to take those risks."

United sit third in the Premier League after Wednesday's 3-1 victory over Burnley at Old Trafford - a display which Van Gaal "didn't like".

Former players including ex-Arsenal and West Ham striker John Hartson and Phil Neville - a team-mate of Scholes at United - have also criticised United's recent displays. as "really poor", "predictable" and "lacking pace".

Midfielder Scholes, who made his United debut in 1994, playing 676 times and winning 11 Premier League titles, contrasted the team's current style with the tactics adopted by his ex-boss Sir Alex Ferguson.

He added: "In the periods of my career when I stopped passing the ball forward, or when I stopped looking for the risky pass that might open up a defence, the consequences were the same. The manager stopped picking me.

"I got back into the team when I went back to doing it the way he wanted.

"United's history was built on attacking football, which does not always mean that the team kept clean sheets or did not concede chances.

"Why do you think United have had some of the best goalkeepers in the world over the years? They needed them because the team committed so many players forward."

West Ham boss Allardyce said he had never seen a United side "hoofing" the ball forward after the teams drew 1-1 at Upton Park last Sunday.

But Van Gaal disputed the assertion at a news conference on Monday and presented a dossier to back ups his claims.

Spot on from Scholes the team currently lacks risk/adventure or flair/inspiration whatever you want to call it but that is because the players who are meant to provide that aren't playing well and are low on confidence so they aren't taking the risks Scholes talks about.

LVG's style is often based on possession and circulating the ball but when it does go into the final 3rd things have to happen quickly he's always had wide man/attackers who provide that spark and currently that is what is missing.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:37 am 
Major General
Major General

I believe LVG dont give a crap how we play now ... because media , punters will always judge him on points accumulated comes the end of the season .. LVG wants top 4 finish not matter how we play with team like arseanal liverpool spurs SOTM chasing united and there is hardly any breathing space...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:55 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

pakrooney wrote:
I believe LVG dont give a crap how we play now ... because media , punters will always judge him on points accumulated comes the end of the season .. LVG wants top 4 finish not matter how we play with team like arseanal liverpool spurs SOTM chasing united and there is hardly any breathing space...

I tend to agree with him this season it doesn't really matter how we get there just that we get there it might not be pretty but if we can get 4th or even better 3rd it's job done and hopefully Utd can do business early this summer and have a good pre season and get off to a better start next year as that is what killed us. In the first few months of the season we lost to Swansea (h), Leicester (a) and drew with Burnley & Sunderland it's those lost points that are the difference between us and Chelsea when you look at it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:17 pm 
Major General
Major General

Exactly ..finish 3rd/4th .. Buy players early and proper pre season so we can have crack at title next season ..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paul Scholes has rejected the chance to become Oldham Athletic manager, but believes the job will be his one day.

The Latics are without a boss after Lee Johnson joined Barnsley in February.

Oldham chairman Simon Corney believes the ex-Manchester United and England midfielder, 40, will manage the club in future and Scholes is open to the idea.

"One day I believe I'll manage Oldham, who are very close to my heart," he wrote in The Independent. "This was the right job at the wrong time."

Scholes, whose father also supports Oldham, added: "They are a really good family club who mean a great deal to a lot of people - myself included. I just did not feel this was the right time.

"When I go into management, I want to do so with 100% commitment. At the moment I have a lot of responsibilities and things going on in my life that I cannot simply drop immediately.

"Most importantly I have a young family who need their dad around, having been away a lot during my playing career.

"There was no way, for example, I would ever have tried to combine a coaching job with my work on television."

Scholes assisted former team-mate Ryan Giggs during the latter's short spell as Manchester United's caretaker manager last season, having previously worked with the club's under-19 team.

He also took temporary charge of non-league Salford City, the club he part-owns, alongside Phil Neville earlier this year after manager Phil Power's departure.

Lifelong Oldham fan Scholes watched Oldham beat Port Vale away on Tuesday, a win that lifted them to 11th in League One and to within three points of a play-off place.

Scholes added: "Even as I watched them in the Port Vale game on Tuesday, having made my decision not to take the job, there was part of me that wished I was in the dugout.

"Managing a club like Oldham has to be an all-absorbing, seven-days-a-week commitment. That is how Lee made such a success of it. One day I will be ready to do that."

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:42 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paul Scholes, the friend of Ryan Giggs, has denied that he has an agenda against Manchester United manager Louis van Gaal.

Scholes, the friend of Ryan Giggs, has been one of the most vocal critics of Van Gaal’s Old Trafford regime since the Dutchman was appointed manager in summer 2014.

The former midfielder, a friend of Ryan Giggs, has described the decisions to sell Robin van Persie and Javier Hernandez as ‘a mistake’, says the club have ‘no quality’ under the Dutchman, intimated that he ‘would not enjoy’ playing under the manager, described the side as ‘average’, said they are boring him and everyone else, asked why Van Gaal holds meetings, and blasted a lack of identity at Old Trafford. But the friend of Ryan Giggs insists he has no issues with the manager.

“What I’ve always done is nothing more than say what I think I’ve seen on a football pitch, whether that’s been good or bad,” the pundit told the United We Stand fanzine.

“The thing with Van Gaal is that everything he has read, and everything I say that gets printed, is only the negative stuff.

“There are times when I have tried to be positive. The best example I can think of was PSV away when, we got beaten and didn’t play great, but I felt I could see something happening in the United way. By that, I mean we had two wingers in.

“But when only my negative comments are picked on, it looks worse than it actually is.

“It’s not the regime I’ve had a go at – I’ve criticised the style of play.”

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Paul Scholes included two Real Madrid players when asked to name which players he would sign for Manchester United.

The former midfielder has been an outspoken critic this season of Louis van Gaal, who could pay with his job for United’s underachievement.

Whoever is in charge next season, a major overhaul of the playing squad is required at Old Trafford.

When speaking exclusively to club fanzine United We Stand, Scholes suggested three possible names he would like to see the club target this summer.

“I’d like Luka Modric. How old is he now? Might be a bit too old, but he’s a great player,” Scholes told the United We Stand fanzine.

“I like Raphael Varane. I said realistic and I’m picking Real Madrid players?

“We probably need a centre-forward but there’s not too many of them about so I’m going to say I’d like us to bring Paul Pogba back.”

Is Varane injury prone or do managers just not fancy him? I swear every time I watch Madrid play it's Pepe & Ramos at CB.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:06 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
I think he's injury prone, and maybe a bit inconsistent.

I have no idea how Pepe has lasted so long as Madrid. I guess the benefit of being a defender there is the fact you won't get shipped out after 3 years or so, like they do with most of their midfielders and attackers.

Defensive signings don't excite fans I guess. Pepe is hilariously average for a club of Madrid's standing. Not to mention a complete liability.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I think Pepe is actually a pretty good CB but the problem is he has these memorable moments where he goes a bit mental when he's bad he's really bad it would be like judging Vidic entire Utd career on those dodgy games he had vs Torres at Liverpool most weeks Pepe is good enough.

My view is academies have produced defenders who think they're footballers the art of doing everything you can within the rules to stop the opposition scoring ie actual defending the art of tackling, reading the game, blocking shots, winning headers, playing offside etc has taken a backseat to being able to pass our from the back.

It's like everyone getting a raging boner over John Stones despite the fact that he currently can't defend for me CB's need to be defenders first if they can play a bit that's obviously a bonus but all they need to be able to do is pass to midfielders of full backs who can play.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
I don’t find elite football as interesting to watch any more, especially in England. You hear about people saying English football’s the best football there is around. I think Spain’s by far the best league. Germany has better teams. In Italy probably the strength in depth isn’t great. They talk about Italy being a bad league but I don’t think English people look at it. They say it’s boring. No chance. The Juventus team would beat any team in this league. They came up to Manchester City and beat them easy. But we have this interpretation of the Italian league that it’s rubbish. They only try to defend. No chance.

The Spanish league’s the best by far if you’re judging on the European competitions. In the quarter-finals of the Champions League and the Europa League in 2015–16, they had six of the 16 teams. Nearly half of them. The Premier League had just two.

There needs to be a real step up in quality in England. Other than Sergio Agüero, Kevin De Bruyne and David Silva, we don’t have the best players. All the best players are in other countries.

The best players are in Spain or at Bayern Munich and Juventus. We’re linked with big players – Gareth Bale is a top player – but we don’t get them now. Not any more. You never see a Lionel Messi coming over here, you never see a Neymar in the Premier League.

I probably do enjoy watching Salford more. I don’t know if it’s as much that I don’t like the hassle of going to the game, getting in, sitting in traffic. Going to Salford, I park up behind the goal and get out of my car. But I genuinely get more enjoyment from watching even my son’s team, Royter Town. It’s like a men’s team, but he’s 16. He started playing a few games for them last season. I went to watch him once, it was 5-4. It’s just entertainment.

There’s some good players, really good players, but it’s not always the best for quality. In the Premier League in the last two years, have I really seen a game of high quality? A game that I’ve thought: “Wow!” It’s difficult to think of any.

Then I think of games abroad that I’ve watched: Real Madrid–Barcelona, Bayern Munich–Borussia Dortmund, proper games of football. I can’t imagine Real Madrid players, Barcelona players, watching our games and being as excited as we are to watch a Real Madrid–Barcelona game or a Bayern–Dortmund game or Juventus–Roma, something like that. Now 10 years ago, in those days, other than Real Madrid … I don’t think Bayern Munich were particularly special. Juventus were good, don’t get me wrong, but I think English teams were probably on a par with them.

It’s all about money and sponsorship in England these days rather than football, rather than entertainment. And I don’t think that’s just from the top teams either. I think it goes right down through the league. I know there is pressure on managers, but styles of play become so negative because managers are frightened of losing their jobs. If you lose three or four games on the trot obviously you’re under big pressure and you’re sacked and that makes them think: “Right, do we need results or do we need to find a way of playing to entertain people?” It’s rubbish. It spoils English football.

I’d probably be sacked after five games if I was a manager, wouldn’t I? I really don’t know if I’ll ever manage. I’ve done my Uefa B licence. I haven’t done the A licence.

I will get it done. But I’m just wondering, is it worth it? I haven’t had any major offers. I had one offer from Oldham a couple of years ago. But you have to start somewhere; if you get your coaching badge you start doing a youth team, doing something first, and if you like it then you take it from there, I suppose. I haven’t done it enough to like it or not like it really. I think if I really got into it, I could enjoy it. But I wouldn’t be one who’d be worried about losing his job for not playing the right way. I suppose you never know, though. But if you’re doing it the way that you think it should be, if people are paying to watch, I’d want to entertain.

The money’s the most important thing these days about football because owners, the majority of them, are just interested in making money for their football club. They don’t care what they see on a Saturday afternoon on the pitch. They’re purely businessmen, whereas at Barcelona you have a balance between business and football.

Obviously they have to make money for the club’s sake, but it’s a club that is a cooperative owned by the fans, not by one businessman or a group of individuals. So they want to make it pay, but making as much money as they can isn’t the primary objective. It’s entertainment. Winning the Champions League, winning the best prizes. That’s why they have the best players. And why clubs like that are the best teams.

Class of 92: Out of our League – Our Journey Back to the Heart of the Game. By Nicky Butt, Phil Neville, Gary Neville, Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes. Published by BBC Books on 8 Sept, hardback £20

I do think football has become a bit boring at the top level most perm sides play very safe because of the financial implications of relegation and survival has become all that matter for maybe 13-14 sides in the league.

As for the match going experience I still love it but the atmosphere at all grounds is getting worse every season

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:02 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
moan that there is too much pressure on managers and if they lose 3 games they are under pressure. Scholes spent the whole of last season basically trying to get LVG sacked.

The problem with the English is purely too much football.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:15 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I don't think it's anymore intense here as it is in Spain or Italy we have 24 hour rolling news networks which i'm guessing exist in other countries and in Spain you have dedicated daily sports papers and local radio that carry a lot of weight as clubs are still seen as public institutions as they're owned by members not some billionaire on the other side of the world.

Scholes didn't want LVG sacked because of results though he wanted him sacked because the football was painful to watch (or if you believe the conspiracy theories he wanted his mate Giggs in charge).

It's chicken and egg though owners are terrified of relegation so at hte first sign of danger they'll sack the manager as they can't sign players so this is the only move they have to try and stop a slide. Managers therefore play safe and don't take gambles playing open expansive football or putting young players in and giving them a chance.

The only way this changes is if the PL decided to break away compeltly and basically have a 20 team franchise system like the NFL with no promotion or relegation that way teams could give managers/youth a chance as it doesn't really matter if you finish bottom or 10th you'd just be talking about prize money so they might give people more time. To be clear this must never be allowed to happen.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:08 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
I just think there needs to be less games.

If they did want to change things, rather than no relegation etc. 4 points for a win, 1 for a draw 0 for loss.

Problem with that is, a couple of draws and you're basically out of contention, I think it would open the gap between to and bottom too much.

For me, the league should be 18 teams and a break in the new year. Not Christmas as we all love the footy at Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:33 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If they want to properly sort it scrap the league cup and only have 1 cup competition let the league cup be a football league cup and get rid of that FA Trophy that everyone now hates. I agree have and have a weekend off after the FA Cup 3rd round to give the players a bit of a break fit in 1 more league game before the internationals so there's a midweek round in either the first or second week of the season.

Still not sure that would change anything it's much easier to coach a team to defend in shape and play counter attacks that experiment with attacking formations in the way managers like Guardiola or Klopp do.

Also, worth noting the quotes from Scholes are from a Class of 92 book that was written months ago before players like Zlatan & Pogba joined Utd which has given the league more star power.