Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:52 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Paul Scholes... Real Talk
PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:05 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Getting rid of international football would be a plus.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:34 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I like international football I'm fairly indifferent when it comes to England want them to do well but don't exactly go nuts when we f*ck up and go out of tournaments I just accept our football structure isn't setup to allow for international success.

I'd make a rule saying that for ever £1 spent on transfers in the summer clubs have to donate 10p to a grass roots football fund so you buy a player for £10m you have to put £1m in the fund. That fund is then used to invest in facilities that local councils can no longer support every town in the UK should have a 4G football pitch, every town in the UK should have grass XI a side pitches with proper changing facilities that are well maintained and every town should have a club that can afford to send some volunteers on proper coaching coarses to teach the next generation the basics.

That Sky Sports News totaliser thing was comical talking about clubs spending like it was comic relief and that we should be proud that 20 companies have just spunked over £1bn in money generated mainly from our TV subscriptions on new players most of which we'd never heard of.

With more and more foreign owners coming in I think it's only a matter of time before the league tries to break away again and pull up the draw bridge on the football league the money in the Premier League is getting so big that clubs don't even really need Champions League now they could basically make the EPL like the NBA/NFL where the worlds top talent comes to play in the elite level tournament.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:21 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester United lack "identity" under new manager Jose Mourinho, making Liverpool favourites for Monday's Premier League match, says Old Trafford legend Paul Scholes.

United, seventh in the table, go to Anfield three points behind Liverpool.

Scholes says there is still "confusion" over Mourinho's best side, whereas Reds boss Jurgen Klopp has "stamped his way of playing football" on his team.

"If you were betting, you would be betting on Liverpool," he said.

Former Chelsea manager Mourinho replaced Louis van Gaal at Old Trafford in the summer and made four major signings.

Ivory Coast defender Eric Bailly was brought in for about £30m, Swedish striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic arrived on a free transfer, Armenia midfielder Henrikh Mkhitaryan came in for an undisclosed fee and France midfielder Paul Pogba was re-signed for a world record £89m.

In United's seven Premier League games so far, 15 outfield players have started - and Scholes believes this has led to mixed results, including two defeats and a draw.

In contrast, Mourinho used 21 outfield players in the whole of his 2004-05 and 2005-06 title-winning campaigns with Chelsea. In 2014-15, when he won the league with the Blues for a third time, the figure was 19.

"He was not ruthless enough in the off-season," said Scholes, who made 718 appearances for United after making his debut in 1994.

"There is so much confusion about who should play.

"What I saw of Mourinho at Chelsea, he had 13 or 14 players who played every week. He never rested players even in the League Cup or whatever competition he was in.

"With United it is still a settling-in period - it is going to take a bit of time for them to knit together and see what they are about.

"Is there an identity to the team yet? I don't think there is."

Klopp's Liverpool 'a real threat'

Klopp has been in charge of Liverpool since October 2015, when he succeeded Brendan Rodgers.

Fourth in the table, they are on a run of five straight wins in all competitions and have scored 18 goals in seven Premier League games this season, including victories at Arsenal and Chelsea.

With Liverpool's high-pressing style, Scholes, who won 11 league titles with United, can see a pattern emerging he says is absent from his former club.

"You can see Jurgen Klopp has stamped his way of playing football on the team," said the 41-year-old.

"There is a definite way about them. You know how they are going to play: they are going to be quick; they are going to try to take the ball off you and try to score goals by flooding the box.

"I was worried about them defensively, but they have already played some of the big teams and they are a real threat.

"The form they are in, they look as good as any team in the league."

Not surprising that they're further along really Klopp had most of last season with them.

The crazy start City had probably put more pressure on Jose but even they've had a bit of a dip in recent weeks.

Liverpool still have their issues there's still uncertainty with the keeper and centre backs plus they've had to start the season with a makeshift left back in Milner but the identity is obvious all Klopp sides play the same way.