AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:34 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Does the Transfer Window Work?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:40 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
Anything that reduces air time for Jim f*cking White and his stupid yellow tie has to be a good thing.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
Either that or the window closes before the leagues start. The one thing that does my head in is going in to the season without your finalised squads. The window is open from July 1st? Why come August 14th are we still running around looking for players. If I was a manager I'd want all my deals done in the down month of June ready to come in for he first day of preseason. It's mental that we are still working on deals with 10 minutes to go on deadline day when you've got between now and July 1st to ensure players are ready to come straight in.

I'd also think about removing the January transfer window completely. One window between June 1st (why wait until July?) to August 1st. Come August 1st that's you done and your squad for the season.

The only issue for this is clubs needing to sell players to keep themselves a float. Perhapd have a different rule for top tier clubs and lower tier clubs?

I think the problem with that is the way football calenders work as the leagues don't all start at the same time and with CL/EL qualifiers you don't always know in August how big a squad you need so shutting it at the end of August makes some sense. Also, with international tournaments and player holidays to factor in you have a very small window to do the deals before the end of July.

I think it's most clubs preference to get deals done as early as possible but a lot of it relies on chain reactions for example Madrid sign James, Utd sign Di Maria, Utd loan Nani to Sporting who probably loan/sell someone else it's almost like buying a house until the whole chain is ready to go nothing happens.

I think Sky hype up a lot of the stuff anyway because they have 24 hours to fill every day in a time when they're losing more and more sport to BT so it's harder for them to actually show sports highlights. I can't watch Sky Sports News anymore it's a complete joke of a channel it's almost a parody of itself especially around deadline day for me it "jumped the shark" when they started judging a potential signing on his football manager stats. Call me old fashioned I preferred it when they based it on the one 10 second of footage they had rights to for him. Remember when we were linked to Ronaldinho all summer and the only thing they had was hit putting a free kick way over the bar? Even with that I was buzzing about signing him I'm not ar*ed if he's only ranked 10 out of 20 for workrate.

I can see a logic in drawing a line in the sand somewhere for the run in to the end of the season I just don't really see the point in shutting the window twice.

Funnily enough a German journalist was on the radio last night saying in Germany it's actually seen as embarrasing to sign a player in Germany as it highlights a club poor planning so it's almost seen as a negative to have to try and sign players half way through the season

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I rarely watch SSN unless I'm waiting on big news. But it was on the the background and I saw them going through a football player and comparing them think it was Stokes new signing with Nzonzi and I was genuinely shocked they'd decided to use FM stats to compare them!

I can see where the Germans are coming from I wouldn't want to have to sign people in January you can rock the boat especially if doing well and on the flip side of it if someone drops down to fight for a relegation fighting club you always know they've only done it for the money and the heart isn't there.

Transfer fees and the money in the English game is just insane. Stoke are paying £18m for players and pricing some of the big clubs in Europe out of the market with wages they can offer.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Thing is FM stats are a good indicator as they're actually provided by scouts some clubs actually have a license for the database to use it as an indicator but I'd prefer it if they mixed in some Opta stats for the key things on Sky. For example a striker you'd look at his goals, assists, chance conversion rate, minutes per goal, chances created etc. For Nzonzi I'm guessing you'd look at tackles/interceptions per game, distance covered, airial duals won, pass completion etc.

Newcastle apparently spent more in this window than everyone in one of the top leagues (think it was Germany).

The money the PL clubs have is unreal and that strength will only increase in the summer as the league announced recently the next round of TV money will come a month earlier than planned to allow clubs to spend in the summer window. Prices for all the PL clubs are about to jump again big time I reckon you can basically stick a £10m mark up on the current prices for everyone once that money hits in the summer as every club in Europe will want their piece of the pie. Good to see my additional Sky/BT TV subscription money being put to good use :rolleyes:

The guy Stoke signed was only sold to Porto in the summer for around £14m so what they've paid in January isn't that stupid on the face of it although you wonder why they didn't go for him in the summer. Stoke are one of the top net spenders in Europe I think they've pumped a lot of money into that squad over the last 4 or 5 years and they seem to spend it pretty well so fair play to them.

My gripe as always is the PL continues to waste fortunes on players whereas local facilities for the average footballer in the UK & Ireland are p*ss poor you're lucky if you get hot water at a lot of clubs. This countries grass roots football infrastructure is pathetic when you consider how much is in the game and the PL should be putting more aside to help councils modernise and maintain these facilities but they're only interested in looking after themselves they even chare clubs £10k a year for a license to show their matches in the bar.