AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 Post subject: Re: Los Twingers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:02 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Riquelminho wrote:
Great news. With a bit of application he'll become our first choice RB for the forseeable future. It's difficult to comprehend that he's still only 21, feels like he's been here ages.

Agreed, that is good news. :thumbup:

It's easy to forget he is so young sometimes, but that's even better for us imo because of the experience he'll gain.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Still not convinced he can defend and he isn't showing signs of improving.

What he needs to do is stay fit and play every week so he can learn and cut out the mistakes his discipline seems to have improved he's nowhere near as rash as he used to be flying into tackles but his position is rubbish.

I'm not totally convinced by him and his brother but hopefully he can keep fit and get 30/40 games under his belt next season

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:37 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
JSP wrote:
...he isn't showing signs of improving.

...his discipline seems to have improved he's nowhere near as rash as he used to be flying into tackles

:rolleyes:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:59 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Must remember to ask Con how to put people in the bowl :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:08 pm 
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

fabio off to qpr on loan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:20 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Nee-mania Vidic wrote:
fabio off to qpr on loan

Now hopefully he'll get the game time he needs to fulfill the potential..and maybe even be our starting LB in 2-3 yeas time.

Quote:
QPR have signed Manchester United defender Fabio da Silva on a season-long loan.

Fabio Da Silva has moved to QPR on a season-long loan

Da Silva, 21, has agreed a deal at Loftus Road until the end of the 2012-13 campaign. He can play in both full-back positions and has also been used in midfield.

The Brazilian, who has made 53 first team appearances for United, where his twin brother Rafael is a team-mate, said he was "so happy" to be in West London.

He told QPR's official website: "This loan is so important for me in terms of my career. I want to play as many games as possible here. I want to play well and win games.

"It's a good move for my career and for my confidence. Sir Alex Ferguson said I'd enjoy it here, and told me to play as many games as I can.

"I want to help QPR progress up the Premier League. Hopefully the fans will enjoy watching me in action, because I'll do my best."

Rangers manager Mark Hughes said the deal was "a great opportunity for us to loan a good, young player who has decent experience of playing for a top club like Manchester United".

"He's played a lot of senior games for United, so it shows the quality he's got," Hughes said. "I know they think very highly of him, and we believe he has all the attributes to be a success here next season."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Brazilian full-back was forced off early on in Sunday's annual curtain raiser against Wigan.

And Rafael now thinks that he will be out until September.

When asked after the match about his injury, he said: "It's a hamstring, I could be out four, five weeks."

United boss David Moyes confirmed that the Brazilian will be sidelined and said: "Rafael has a bit of a hamstring injury."

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:15 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Bad news, looking for another big season from Rafael.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Fabio is prepared to fight brother Rafael for the right-back position at Manchester United.

Fabio, who spent last season on loan at Queens Park Rangers, made his first start for United since November 2011 in the 2-0 win against Crystal Palace at the weekend.

And the young Brazilian hopes to start more regularly for the Premier League champions, even if it is at the expense of his brother.

Speaking to The Sun, Fabio said: "My brother and I are going to fight for the right-back position.

"Why not? We have always fought over everything, PlayStation, anything. we fight with each other to win. This is no different. Now we are 23 we are mature.

"It's not important whether me or him plays but that we do well. It's a big thing to play for United. We just have to play and enjoy it."

Big season for Fabio he needs to make that jump like his brother did last year or he might end up being moved on QPR really wasn't the right club for him to go on loan to last season and the fact Fergie spent £5m on Buttner shows he wasn't convinced that Fabio could cover Evra.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:12 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 4
Thought he looked a bit rusty on Saturday. Understandable given how little game time he has had.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Yeah he wasn't really tested either as Palace didn't really make him defend plus with Valencia going down the outside of people again there wasn't space for the overlapping runs his brother did so well last season.

He just needs to play games people forget that in 2011 he started at RB ahead of Rafael in the CL final I think he maybe isn't as aggresive as his brother and maybe is a little bit quieter than his brother who looks like he could start a fight in an empty room.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:12 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Manchester United full-back Rafael has been quoted by Lancenet as saying that he does not want to leave Old Trafford to return to Brazil to join Corinthians.

Recent speculation in Brazil has claimed that Corinthians are preparing a bid to sign the 23-year-old at the end of the season.

The reports also suggested that Rafael would be interested in returning to Brazil to boost his prospects of being involved in Luiz Felipe Scolari's plans with the national team.

However, the right-back has dismissed the rumours and sees no reason why he would want to quit the Premier League champions.

"I am not thinking about leaving Manchester United, especially since I did well last season," Rafael told Lancenet.

"There is no reason to leave now, I am playing here, I am a starter and I don't intend to return to Brazil."

Rafael arrived at United in 2008 from Fluminense along with his brother Fabio and he has made over 130 appearances for the club.

He established himself as first-choice right-back last season and was arguably one of United's best players in what proved to be Sir Alex Ferguson's final year as manager.

A hamstring injury suffered in the Community Shield win over Wigan Athletic in August has hampered Rafael's prospects of impressing Ferguson's successor David Moyes.

But he has returned to fitness in recent weeks and made his first Premier League appearance of the season in Saturday's 2-1 win at Sunderland.

I've heard people say before that for the lads who leave Brazil at a young age it's often hard to break into the national team as they don't have any pressure from the fans back in Brazil who are promoting them demanding they're in the side ahead of the latest young up and comer who's playing in the Brazilian League.

You only have to look at Fernandinho & Willian they cost £70m between them this summer but they probably have less than 10 caps between them for Brazil.

I'm sure if he keeps playing well at Utd he'll get his shot in the national team he really stepped up a level last season.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:10 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

JSP wrote:
Quote:
Manchester United full-back Rafael has been quoted by Lancenet as saying that he does not want to leave Old Trafford to return to Brazil to join Corinthians.

Recent speculation in Brazil has claimed that Corinthians are preparing a bid to sign the 23-year-old at the end of the season.

The reports also suggested that Rafael would be interested in returning to Brazil to boost his prospects of being involved in Luiz Felipe Scolari's plans with the national team.

However, the right-back has dismissed the rumours and sees no reason why he would want to quit the Premier League champions.

"I am not thinking about leaving Manchester United, especially since I did well last season," Rafael told Lancenet.

"There is no reason to leave now, I am playing here, I am a starter and I don't intend to return to Brazil."

Rafael arrived at United in 2008 from Fluminense along with his brother Fabio and he has made over 130 appearances for the club.

He established himself as first-choice right-back last season and was arguably one of United's best players in what proved to be Sir Alex Ferguson's final year as manager.

A hamstring injury suffered in the Community Shield win over Wigan Athletic in August has hampered Rafael's prospects of impressing Ferguson's successor David Moyes.

But he has returned to fitness in recent weeks and made his first Premier League appearance of the season in Saturday's 2-1 win at Sunderland.

I've heard people say before that for the lads who leave Brazil at a young age it's often hard to break into the national team as they don't have any pressure from the fans back in Brazil who are promoting them demanding they're in the side ahead of the latest young up and comer who's playing in the Brazilian League.

You only have to look at Fernandinho & Willian they cost £70m between them this summer but they probably have less than 10 caps between them for Brazil.

I'm sure if he keeps playing well at Utd he'll get his shot in the national team he really stepped up a level last season.

Good man. The 'standard' of Brazillian fullbacks historically, as actual defenders is not a great yardstick to go by anyway so he should walk in the team IMO. Dani Alves has kept him out of the team but he's nearly 30 now and not the player he was. Rafael has both good attacking and defending properties IMO, his defending originally was one of his weak points but he's improved massively in that area. Discipline still lets him down occasionaly but I genuinely think he could be, in time, the level of Cafu, Roberto Carlos etc...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:22 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Sparkys kneecap wrote:
Good man. The 'standard' of Brazillian fullbacks historically, as actual defenders is not a great yardstick to go by anyway so he should walk in the team IMO. Dani Alves has kept him out of the team but he's nearly 30 now and not the player he was. Rafael has both good attacking and defending properties IMO, his defending originally was one of his weak points but he's improved massively in that area. Discipline still lets him down occasionaly but I genuinely think he could be, in time, the level of Cafu, Roberto Carlos etc...

Well I think that's a bit of a myth that Brazilian defenders can't defend they have the best defensive record of any nation at the world cup finals and the role of the full back in Brazil is very different to the way we play them in Europe. Dani Alves and before that Maicon were absolute beasts in terms of the athleticism they provided up and down for 90 minutes very much in the Roberto Carlos & Cafu mould as Brazil have never really been one for out and out wingers it's always been the responsiblity of the full back to provide the attacking width. Without the wide man in front of them they are often faced with 2 vs 1 situations which can leave them exposed they are good defensively just in a different way because they're so quick and fit they pin you back defensively.

His problem will be that for Brazil his big chance was the Olympics and from memory he made a mistake in the final against Mexico which led to a goal and Brazil lost the game they were desperate to win the Olympics as weirdly they've never actually won it. In Brazil if you make a big mistake it can take a long time to get back in to the team so Rafael will probably need to really shine especially on the European stage to stand out I don't think they watch much Premier League in Brazil because we don't and never really have had many top Brazilian players come here.

Saying he could get to the level of those two is maybe setting the bar a little high I'd be happy if he reaches the level of Gary Neville or Denis Irwin just a nice solid consistent Full Back does his job and you don't need to worry about it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:53 am 
Major General
Major General

IMO irwin was far better than neville.Wasnt fabio touted to be better among twins? ?

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:08 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Irwin was probably the best full back I've seen at Utd he could play on either side and was brilliant at both ends of the pitch plus he took free kicks :bow:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:38 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
pakrooney wrote:
IMO irwin was far better than neville.Wasnt fabio touted to be better among twins? ?

That's harsh on Neville, he was quality in his day. Solid at the back and going forwards Leighton Baines is the only other full back I've evern seen that had crossing in the same league as G Nev.

And yeah, when the twins came Fabio was tipped as the better of the two.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Understanding a coach's philosophy is a tricky business. You never know how dependent they are upon the players available. But whether it is Brendan Rodgers signing Joe Allen for Liverpool or David Moyes taking Marouane Fellaini with him to Manchester United, it is amazing how often coaches look to replicate earlier success by employing the same personnel. Moyes was unable to do that with Leighton Baines in the summer but the subsequent performances of Patrice Evra have the fingerprints of the manager's methods all over them.

As tactical expert Michael Cox wrote in The Guardian: "The most obvious feature of David Moyes's coaching philosophy is his emphasis upon width - asking his central midfielders to spread the play, and encouraging the full-backs forward to create overloads with the wide midfielders." It's a style of play that the Scot honed throughout his 11-year reign at Everton, developing a more aggressively attacking approach in recent years.

"When I took over, the team didn't have the calibre to play the football we do now," Moyes told the Daily Mail last year. "Then you can evolve and get better, with defenders who are more comfortable on the ball or more attacking full-backs. Now the level of player I have allows me to play in a different way. I can send Baines further on because I can trust my centre-backs more."

With players of the stature of Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand at Manchester United, as well as the likes of Jonny Evans, Chris Smalling and Phil Jones, it is fair to assume that Moyes was an excited man at the prospect of unleashing his full-backs. Indeed, the importance he places on trusting his central defenders might explain why he relied heavily on his most experienced duo during his early matches in charge - pairing Vidic and Ferdinand six times before the end of September.

The result has been that Evra, in particular, has come to the fore. No United player has created more chances from open play this season than Evra with the Frenchman's tally of 17 also the joint highest of any full-back in the Premier League. It reflects the increased importance of full-backs in the Moyes system. In fact, United are attempting more crosses per game than any top-flight team, up from fifth last season. Meanwhile, the number of through-balls and short passes per game are down, reaffirming this shift in emphasis.

There is a debate to be had regarding the wisdom of this tactic. Recent research by StatsBomb revealed that Manchester United create a higher percentage of their opportunities from deep positions on either flank than anyone else. "United, at 22 per cent, are the only team to create more than 19 per cent of their chances from these zones, which is not a great claim to fame as this zone has a low probability of key passes resulting in goals," writes Colin Trainor. Regardless of the merits of the tactic, it does mean that the full-backs are key.

Evra was always comfortable going forward but he has become a more prominent creative force this season. Indeed, he is already just five short of last season's figure of 22 chances created from open play in the Premier League. Intriguingly, despite the tendency for United's left wingers such as Shinji Kagawa to cut inside and right-wing options like Antonio Valencia to provide width, that's the same number of chances Rafael created from right-back last term. It offers the tantalising prospect of the Brazilian also thriving under his new boss. In fact, there is some early evidence in his favour.

Rafael has played eight games for Manchester United this season. The Red Devils have won six of them and drawn the other two. As a result, the 23-year-old is entitled to wonder what all the fuss is about. Unfortunately, despite the team currently being on a 12-match unbeaten run in all competitions, results in his absence have not been quite so impressive and the defending champions are down in eighth spot in the Premier League table. Put simply, United have failed to win the majority of their matches (seven out of 13) without Rafael this season.

The identity of Rafael's replacements might elucidate some of the issues. Aside from a solitary appearance by his own twin brother, Fabio, the options for Moyes at right-back are Smalling and Jones. Both players have been described as "natural centre-backs" by former United boss Sir Alex Ferguson, an indication that advancing down the flank is perhaps not a perfect fit for their talents.

Smalling produced an accomplished display in the emphatic victory over Bayer Leverkusen but either side of that win his limitations at full-back have been in evidence. The England man had the poorest passing accuracy of any United outfield starter against Tottenham, while a pass completion rate of 65.1 per cent was the worst of any on either side in the previous 2-2 draw at Cardiff.

This would not be the defining statistic if it were accompanied by a steady stream of crosses from the right flank. But despite spending the vast majority of the campaign occupying an advanced position akin to that of Evra on the left, Smalling has not only completed just two crosses this season but he has only attempted nine. It is an unimpressive return for 488 minutes of Premier League action - highlighted not only by Evra's productivity down the left but also by the fact that Rafael has an identical crossing record from just 221 minutes of game time.

Of course, Rafael's qualities at right-back are no secret. "Rafael was developing into a really, really good player, but he made mistakes," wrote Ferguson in his recent autobiography. "Some players can never stop making mistakes, it's hereditary, but others learn by them. Rafael was sent off against Bayern Munich and then improved his disciplinary record dramatically. He's such a competitive boy, quick and aggressive, and he believes in himself. He has a really positive attitude to the game."

That adventure to Rafael's game can have a positive effect on his team-mates. "His energy at right-back is really good," explains fellow United defender Evans. "He really sets the tone. He is one of the best right-backs in the world." But injuries have robbed Moyes of this asset. A hamstring injury in August affected the player's preparations for the season and, more recently, ankle ligament issues have been a problem too. Rafael only returned to the bench for the weekend trip to Spurs.

With United's most natural right-back available again, this could prove a critical period in the club's season. For while some might question the merits of the stylistic tinkering of Ferguson's successor, Moyes can be better judged on his own vision rather than the stop-gap measures implemented to date. Perhaps it is only when Rafael is fit and on form, that we will truly see the new manager's plans for his team take shape.

I think we have missed Rafael this season especially in an attacking sense his overlaps down the side of Valencia last season not only got assists but he also scored a couple of goals as well.

His defensive play also improved I mean it still wasn't perfect but it was a good enough and without another specialist RB in the squad we do miss him. Smalling has done an admirable job covering but going forward you really miss Rafael's quality I've sometimes wondered if we should just play Valencia as a RB when we don't have Rafael. Obviously away from home vs top sides that would be suicidal but in most games I think we'd get away with it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 pm 
Major General
Major General

Maybe it's the cynic me but I get the impression that Moyes doesn't rate los twinjuries. Fabio's been fit most of the season but he still prefers the likes or Smalling and Jones at fullback. I think he prefers a more defensively sound player.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:01 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Rafael: "It was a huge thing, replacing a legend like Gary Neville, wearing his number, but he taught me to live with it and make him proud one day, this Jersey is special, and I think I've inherited its "Being the fan's representative on the pitch" quality, this is a special club to me, and it would be a dream to retire here, just like Gary and Scholesy did."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 235 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next