AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:35 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next
 Post subject: Re: Whats with all the racist allegations!!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 5:00 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Five men have been ordered to appear before magistrates following racist taunts on the Paris Metro ahead of a Chelsea game in the city last month.

Scotland Yard said the summonses related to a police application for football banning orders.

Controversy erupted when Chelsea fans were filmed singing racist chants and refusing to let a black man on a train.

The five men have been ordered to appear at Waltham Forest Magistrates' Court in London on 25 March.

A group of Chelsea fans were filmed on the Paris Metro ahead of a Champions League match against Paris St Germain on 17 February.

The game ended in a 1-1 draw and the return leg is due to be held later at Stamford Bridge.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:48 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
In Paris it is deemed quite a big offence. I'm assuming he can claim criminal damages of some sort?

Stress/Depression loss of earnings through inability to work after the incident.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:54 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
In Paris it is deemed quite a big offence. I'm assuming he can claim criminal damages of some sort?

Stress/Depression loss of earnings through inability to work after the incident.

Paris is a place that has a lot of racial tension anyway they have their own far right issues in that country.

You would imagine there would be some grounds for him to take legal action although it may depend on the guilty parties being able to be identified as it would probably be a seperate civil case on top of the criminal one that the French authorities are going for.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2015 12:26 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
A teenager has been arrested on suspicion of sending a racist tweet aimed at Arsenal striker Danny Welbeck.

The post was made after Welbeck netted the winning goal during an FA Cup quarter-final clash against his former club Manchester United on 9 March.

Manchester-born Welbeck joined the Gunners for £16m last summer.

The 15-year-old boy, from the Salisbury area, was arrested on suspicion of racial abuse and released on bail until 13 April, Wiltshire Police said.

Worrying amongst young people that this sort of abuse of footballers or public figures online seems cool I imagine a knock on the door from a police fills their pants pretty quick and makes them realise that what they think is anonymous online isn't right.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Fenerbahce’s Emmanuel Emenike has accused his own fans of racially abusing him during the club’s 1-0 win over Besiktas on Sunday.

The Nigeria international appeared to try to get himself substituted in the first half of the match, taking off his shirt and running off the pitch.

But he was held back by his coaches on the sidelines and convinced to carry on playing.

However, after the match he revealed on Twitter that he had been the victim of racial abuse from Fenerbahce fans.

He tweeted: "Let's KICK Racism Out Of Football. I hope I'll be somewhere where fans love me soon. I don't want to play football for people who calls me "nxxxxx". Miss red-white times...”

Emenike has netted four times in 22 appearances for Fener this season and was booed when he missed a first-half chance against Besiktas.

He was eventually substituted in place of Pierre Webo at half-time, and Fenerbahce netted a 91st-minute winner.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:59 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former England and Liverpool winger John Barnes says black managers struggle to find a new job after being sacked by a club.

The 51-year-old, who has managed Celtic and the Jamaica national team, has not had a coaching job since being fired by Tranmere in October 2009.

"A white manager loses his job and gets another job, he loses his job, he gets another job," Barnes said on ITV.

"Very few black managers can lose their job and get another job."

Barnes continued: "What I can judge it from is by looking at society. How many black people are there in the higher echelons of any industry? We can talk about journalism, we can talk about politics. So why should football be any different?"

There are currently six managers from black and minority ethnic (BME) backgrounds employed by English football's 92 league clubs: Chris Ramsey (QPR), Chris Powell (Huddersfield), Chris Hughton (Brighton), Fabio Liverani (Leyton Orient), Keith Curle (Carlisle) and Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (Burton).

In March last year, former Newcastle, Birmingham and Norwich boss Hughton was the only black manager in England's top five divisions.

The Football League, under the guidance of chairman Greg Clarke, is conducting a review into how it can increase the numbers of BME coaches and managers among its member clubs.

Clarke has been criticised by the Professional Footballers' Association for his failure to keep a promise to hold a vote at the Football League's 2013 annual general meeting on a proposal to conduct a trial of a version of the NFL's Rooney Rule.

Last September, PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor voiced his belief that football has a "hidden resistance" preventing black managers getting jobs.

The Football Association has also set itself a new target to boost diversity within all levels of the game, while the Premier League recently said it wanted to see "more and better" coaches "who can progress to the highest levels of the game on merit and regardless of race, ethnicity, gender or background".

There are some much more senior guys on the manager merry go round who always seem to get another chance people like Neil Warnock spring to mind but these guys are a bit of a dying breed as well.

Board Rooms in the UK have never been so diverce in terms of nationality maybe not race but we have owners from all over the world from America, Russia, Qatar, Kuwait, Thailand, Malaysia, China, Italy etc etc.

Who are the black managers currently out of work who have all the necessary badges? Paul Ince is the only one I can think of.

Take QPR as an example they have a black manager and a black technical director who both work for an Asian owner. Their black manager will probably get sacked at the end of the season because his record isn't good enough that doesn't make him a bad manager he took over a sinking ship but it will be hard for him to find another job. It's the same for someone like John Carver at Newcastle he's probably going to lose his job in the summer and he'll struggle to find another managerial position.

I truely believe in football you are judged by your ability but if you have no proven track record clubs wont hire you unless you're an ex player in the right place at the right time that's just how it works. For a british manager now regardless of your race or background unless you can take a team up the leagues yourself it's very hard to move up because for the very top jobs you are competiting in a world market.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Black players from AC Milan's under-10 team allegedly suffered racist abuse at a tournament in Italy on Sunday, say the club.

The incidents were said to have happened during the 4-0 win over Paris St-Germain which saw them reach the Universal Cup semi-finals.

"There was alleged incidents of racism from certain 'people' in the stands towards Milan's black players," said a statement on the club website.

Milan beat Benfica to reach the final.

The Milan statement continued: "We do not wish to magnify the issue, but truly hope that these reports aren't true or that it was simply a sporadic incident.

"If they were to be confirmed, then it would be simply unacceptable."

Chelsea, Ajax, Inter Milan, Roma and Juventus are among the other teams taking part in the tournament in northern Tuscany.

The organisers have been contacted by BBC Sport, but have yet to respond. They have posted an anti-racism video message on their Facebook page since the alleged incidents took place.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:38 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Liverpool FC is considering what action to take against a supporter who branded two Muslim fans "a disgrace" for praying during half-time at a match.

Stephen Dodd tweeted an image of solicitors Asif Bodi and Abubakar Bhula on prayer mats in a stairwell.

He captioned the tweet: "Muslims praying at half time at the match yesterday. Disgrace."

The Premier League club reported the tweet to Merseyside Police following a number of complaints.

A number of social media users shared the photograph, taken during Liverpool's FA Cup quarter-final against Blackburn on 8 March.

In a statement it said police had now referred the issue back to the club, which was "currently in the process of determining the appropriate action to take".

'Welcoming environment'

It added: "Liverpool Football Club would like to remind its supporters that it does not tolerate any form of discrimination and is committed to ensuring that the club and Anfield provides a welcoming and safe environment for all fans regardless of race, religion, gender, age, disability or sexual orientation."

The club said a further statement would be made in due course.

Speaking last month, Mr Bodi, 46, from Preston, told the Liverpool Echo: "We have a small window in which to pray, a bit like the transfer window in football. Once that closes the chance has gone.

"That day, the time came for prayer and the window would have closed before the game finished so we did it at half-time.

"Most people are absolutely fine with it...but it only takes one or two people to react in the wrong way and you could have a nasty situation."

Just a lack of eduction from kn*bs on twitter really what people decide to do in the 15 minute break is totally up to them as long as they're not blocking gangways or routes etc is there really a problem. A mans religious belief are entirely their own business how many fans have stood in the stand praying to a higher power for a goal or a win?

I probably wouldn't go as far as to say ban him for life but I'd say he's on his final warning and going forward anyone caught doing it will be banned but some people seem to think at on twitter they can say or do what they want without realising they are actually breaking laws.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 8:08 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Former England manager Graham Taylor has denied allegations he spoke about being put under pressure to limit the number of black players he selected for the national team.

Extracts from a book printed in the Guardian allege Taylor told former Birmingham striker Richie Moran of pressure from the Football Association.

The conversation is alleged to have taken place during the 1999-00 season.

Taylor told BBC Radio 5 live: "I have no memory of that conversation."

He added: "I never had any problem in regards to team selection concerning black players from the FA.

"My record as regards the selection of black players at international and at club level is there for people to see. To have my name linked with that kind of thing is completely wrong."

The FA told BBC Sport it is aware of the allegations, adding that it takes matters of equality very seriously and is proud of the diverse nature of the England team.

Taylor, 70, was England manager between 1990 and 1993.

Under Taylor England failed to reach the knockout stage of the European Championships in 1992 and he resigned in November 1993 having failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup in United States.

Taylor and Moran, 51, are alleged to have had the conversation at a function at Watford, where Taylor was manager between 1977-1987 and 1996-2001.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:09 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The Paris Saint-Germain striker, Edinson Cavani, was forced to apologise after mistakenly stating that Jamaica, Uruguay’s first opponents in the Copa América, are an African team.

Óscar Tabárez’s side, who are the holders following their triumph in Argentina four years ago, kick off the defence of their title against Jamaica in Antofagasta on Saturday.

Despite being part of the Confederation of North, Central America and Caribbean Association Football (Concacaf), Jamaica are in Chile along with Mexico after winning last year’s Caribbean Cup. However, that fact seemed to be lost on Cavani as he faced the media to preview Saturday’s game.

Asked what he thought of Uruguay’s opponents, the PSG striker said: “As any other African team, Jamaica are going to be strong.”

That led to a hastily-arranged tweet where Cavani apologised if his comments had caused offence. “First I want to apologise to Jamaica and its people,” he wrote.

“I wanted to make a comparison between similar styles and playing characteristics between Jamaican national team and those of African sides but honestly I only put across half that thought and it came out sounding awful.

“In any case I’d like to publicly ask for forgiveness and I hope my mistake will be taken with humour rather than offence.”

Managed by the German Winfried Schäfer, Jamaica are 600-1 shots to win the tournament.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:29 pm 
Major General
Major General

Aren't they part of Africa or west indies .. Most people don't know ..

So true mate ...he is consistently inconsistent throughout his united career ..but what if he turns consistent ..he will get around 40 goals...ATM im waiting for that time as his age is 24/25 :wait: ... :|
on Rooney ,Jan 16th, ..and as they rest is history

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's a part of North America.

It's not like Cavani has tried to cause any problems it's just that ignorance can offend.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:27 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Yeah it is ignorance and I don't think it was meant with malice it was a mistake.

To be honest some of the people in that Jamaica team will have African heritage as some of the population are decendants of slaves.

At least he's come out an apologised even if he has tried to make an excuse for what was obviously a bit of ignorance to assume that a team made up of black players is African.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:49 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The controversy generated by pictures of black and white England Under-21 players lunching at separate tables, and also forming separate groups in the swimming pool and on the exercise bikes, is a powerful reminder that issues connected with everyday behaviour in a multiracial society have not been resolved and might never be.

The pictures do suggest that the behaviour of football players has not moved on since the 80s. Back then Garth Crooks, who as a player suffered horrendous racial abuse from fans, was asked by a fellow Tottenham team mate at a social gathering: “Why do you blacks always stick together?” To which Crooks responded: “Why do you whites always stick together? I always see Bryan Robson alongside Ray Wilkins not next to Viv Anderson or John Barnes?”

Back then, with football in denial about race, Crooks laughed it off. Now the reaction of the football authorities shows how sensitive the subject has become, as exemplified in the response of Gareth Southgate, who manages the Under-21 team. After emphasising that football can break through racial barriers he turned on the media, saying: “I’m looking at a room of journalists and it’s not very multicultural.”

Southgate is right in the sense that the game has moved a long way on the field of play since I first reported on football, while the media has not. In September 1978, when I reported my first match, Chelsea v Tottenham for the Sunday Times, there were no black players on the field and I was probably the only brown face at Stamford Bridge, certainly in the press box. Just before the match started I was asked: “Who are you reporting this match for, the Southall Express?”

Last month, back at the Bridge for the last match of the season, the Chelsea players, having already won the Premiership, hoisted Didier Drogba off the pitch while the rest of the Chelsea crowd joined in this affectionate farewell to their much loved black striker. Yet looking round me in the press box I could see only one other non-white face.

And football managers now are also very aware that they live in a multiracial society. In my early years as a football reporter, postmatch press conferences would always see me singled out by managers unable to get over the fact that I was a solitary brown face in a sea of whites. Lawrie McMenemy, then Southampton manager, even suggested I was at the wrong sport. After a heavy defeat at Luton, and upset by my question, he retorted: “Should you not be reporting hockey?” – clearly thinking that’s what an Indian would be more interested in. It is a measure of how much society has changed that while David Pleat, the Luton manager, was the only one shocked by McMenemy’s comment, today a manager would not survive the wrath he would provoke on social media.

Where football is yet to change is in the management structure, from coaches and managers upwards all the way to the boardroom and the Football Association. There, to see a black or brown face is a major discovery, and it is this gap between the world of men in shorts and men in suits – and they are still largely men – that shapes wider social attitudes. It means that for the white people there is little or no experience of a person in authority not being white, and for ethnic minorities there is a natural tendency to congregate around the few who have made it to the top.

The story of Heather Rabbats, who in December 2011 become the first woman to join the board of the FA – and the first black board member of either sex in its 150-year history – is very relevant. Rabbats, whose father was English and mother Jamaican, should be a heroine for both communities. But she says, “I get much more support actually in the African and Caribbean community.” Such is the “level of respect and admiration” she gets when she talks to black and ethnic minority audiences, and not just on sport, that it makes her “always feel deeply uncomfortable”. Her explanation is: “Because we are still very few, we’re the people’s life raft.”

It is only when the likes of Rabbats stop having to be life rafts for entire communities that we shall move to a truly postracial world and acquire the confidence to treat people we meet from different backgrounds as something to celebrate, not a reminder of past barriers. But the reaction to the pictures shows that day is still a long way off.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

The whole thing annoys me now. I think people like this reporter do a good job of painting a picture that isn't factually correct to help their story.

Take the FA for example. Do you really believe if there were excellent black/female candidates they would be turned down.

Do you believe in football management a chairmen from America/Qatar would turn down a manager because he wasn't white if said manager had a history of success? It isn't skin colour stopping people getting in to these positions it's a lack of suitable candidates within that race. Should a chairmen really take a risk in his multi million pound project to appease reporters like this? Should a worse black manager get a job over a more successful white manager because of his colour? Is that not pro racism?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
The whole thing annoys me now. I think people like this reporter do a good job of painting a picture that isn't factually correct to help their story.

Take the FA for example. Do you really believe if there were excellent black/female candidates they would be turned down.

Do you believe in football management a chairmen from America/Qatar would turn down a manager because he wasn't white if said manager had a history of success? It isn't skin colour stopping people getting in to these positions it's a lack of suitable candidates within that race. Should a chairmen really take a risk in his multi million pound project to appease reporters like this? Should a worse black manager get a job over a more successful white manager because of his colour? Is that not pro racism?

The guy writing the article is Mihir Bose who is of Indian background I believe and I think his point is valid while on the pitch the numbers are on the up off it still seems to be dominated by white men.

This is the thing that annoys me as well we have owners from all over the world who own these clubs but while they point out a lack of black managers I think there's also a lack of black candidates. Where are the African coaches?

The. PL is obsessed with foreign managers and there are very few black managers I can think of in foreign leagues. Where are the prominent black players from the 90's? Les Ferdinand is director of football at QPR, Ian Wright, Andy Cole, Stan Collymore & Dwight Yorke all work in the media and Paul Ince & John Barnes are failed managers Sol Campbell seems to be more interested in politics than football. Vieira is running the academy at Man City but we may see a new wave now from the 00s guys as they retire what will they do.

These are elite level positions where you compete in a market of 1000s for 20 jobs your name isn't enough you need to do the badges and drop down leagues to learn the ropes. Hasselbaink took over at Burton in league 2 and Davids had a go at Barnet but I think the reality is now for any ex player regardless of skin colour you will need to go out and prove yourself.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Four Chelsea fans accused of refusing to allow a black man on to the Paris Metro have been banned from attending football matches for up to five years.

Richard Barklie, from Carrickfergus, Northern Ireland, and Joshua Parsons and William Simpson, both from Surrey, were banned for five years at Stratford Magistrates' Court.

Jordan Munday, from Sidcup in Kent, was banned for three years.

They were told they could not attend games at home or abroad.

District Judge Gareth Branston said: "Racist hatred was displayed by Chelsea fans on the Paris Metro that evening."

He told the court what happened had "tarnished the reputation of English football in Europe".

Violence flared when Chelsea fans were in the French capital to watch the west London club's Champions League match against Paris St-Germain on 17 February.

Afterwards video surfaced showing Frenchman Souleymane Sylla pushed off the train amid chants of "we're racist and that's the way we like it".

The French commuter previously said the whole episode was "humiliating".

In a statement read out in court, Mr Sylla said he was "violently" forced off the train as Chelsea fans jeered at him.

He said: "I again approached the carriage, explaining to this person I wanted to get back on the train.

"He didn't seem to understand what I said to him, and other supporters behind him were shouting and singing in English. As I don't speak English, I didn't understand what they said."

"Another person made a sign indicating to the colour of the skin on his face," he said.

Barklie, 50, of Victoria Street in Carrickfergus, a director with the World Human Rights Forum, had admitted twice pushing Mr Sylla, but blamed the Parisian for using "aggression" and shouting.

Quote:
What are football banning orders?
■Banning orders are a civil rather than criminal sanction designed to prevent future trouble rather than penalise past behaviour
■For an order to be issued, it must be proved that the accused person has caused or contributed to football-related violence or disorder
■Banning orders can last for between three and 10 years and were first introduced by the Football (Offences and Disorder) Act 1999
■Individuals can also be banned from using public transport on match days and from visiting other potential violent "hotspots" such as town centres, certain pubs and bars
■Breach of an order is a criminal offence and punishable by a maximum sentence of six months in prison

Sources: Gov.co.uk and In Brief

The judge, however, said Barklie, a former policeman, "proved to be a menace" and had "demonstrated aggressive, disorderly conduct".

He said Parsons played a leading role too and displayed "aggressive and disorderly conduct as part of a pack of Chelsea fans".

It was heard Parsons later lost his job at a Mayfair financial company as a result of his involvement.

Another Chelsea supporter, Dean Callis, 32, of Liverpool Road, Islington, received a five-year banning order ahead of the court hearing for a number of incidents, including the one in Paris, Scotland Yard confirmed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The sackings of Chris Powell and Chris Ramsey were "disheartening", says anti-racism campaigner Troy Townsend.

Powell departed Huddersfield and Ramsey left QPR to leave four bosses of black and minority ethnic (BME) and Asian backgrounds in the top four leagues.

"To lose both managers sends out a really strong message to those aspiring to get on this journey," said Townsend.

But former Chelsea defender Frank Sinclair disagreed and called Townsend's claims "damaging".

Last week the Football Association's newly appointed BME boss Wayne Allison said he wanted to increase the number of black coaches.

But the sackings of both Powell and Ramsey within the space of a few hours on Tuesday left numbers at a low and could discourage black coaches, according to Townsend.

"People will look and think 'Is it worth it? Is it because of the colour of their skin? Or is it because they are bad managers?," Townsend told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I know people will say results are not right but there is a lot more to it than that.

"Today is disheartening without a doubt."

Chris Ramsey was sacked on Wednesday after a 1-0 defeat by Derby left QPR 13th in the Championship

Chris Hughton (Brighton), Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink (Burton Albion), Keith Curle (Carlisle) and Ricardo Moniz (Notts County) are now the only managers from BME backgrounds in the Football League after Wednesday's sackings.

Townsend - education and development manager at Kick It Out, as well as the father of Tottenham winger Andros - said the loss of both Powell and Ramsey from the Championship sides was "a really disappointing day for BME people who are looking to be part of the game at the highest level".

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "We are talking about the under-representation of black managers in the English game.

"We have 25% BME players in this country. There are less than 4% in terms of major coaching roles. The stats don't stack up."

'Totally out of order'

Sinclair was recently coaching Brackley Town in the National League North and says he "totally disagrees" with Townsend's claims.

The 43-year-old says that he has twice recently come close to a job and believes there are opportunities for black coaches in England.

"They [Powell and Ramsey] are both terrific lads who have given me advice in the past, and you're disappointed that they lost their jobs, but you've got to be realistic," he told BBC Radio Northampton.

"To make a statement that more or less says 'is it because of their colour that they've been sacked?' is something that I had to make a response to because I totally disagree.

"It can be damaging. I don't question a chairman's integrity.

"I've been very close to getting a couple of jobs recently, and out of 35-40 applicants, I've got to the final two twice. There's encouragement that if I keep doing the right things, then I'll get the opportunity to manage at the level that I want to.

"[Townsend's comments] are damaging. People could read that and think: 'If I take on a black manager is he going to turn around if it doesn't go well and say 'the reason I got sacked is because of the colour of my skin'?

"That is out of order and you can't have statements made like that."

Huddersfield said that the dismissal of Powell "signals a change of direction by the club and a new approach", while QPR director of football Les Ferdinand said that replacing Ramsey was in the "best interests of the club".

I think this idea of Black Managers not being given a chance has got to stop they are getting chances but like everyone else they are judged by results if you get results I don't think anyone really cares what you do you keep getting hired.

Ramsey took QPR down (he gets a pass on that) he's now 13th in the league with arguably the strongest squad in the division the club have a PL wage bill and if they think someone else can do better he's got to live with that. I'm sure it's the same with Huddersfield they're 18th 4 points clear of relegation but results have been poor and if performances have been similar then that is the sort of form that gets a man sacked I'm sure these guys will find new jobs they're on the merry go round now but they might have to drop a division to do it just like most British managers do.

You really have to grasp a chance when it falls your way to do well in this job there are 92 jobs in the football league and probably over 1,000 candidates and I firmly believe in football in England you are judged by your ability not your skin colour.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:37 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
The chairman of Kick It Out has urged football to do more to promote community cohesion in the face of a rising tide of hate speech and intolerance exacerbated by the Brexit debate.

Lord Ouseley said that while football should be praised for measures taken inside stadiums to stamp out discrimination, and for its community programmes, it had the power to do much more to combat the effects of a rise in prejudice in the grassroots game and beyond.

“It has been noticeable for at least two and a half years that there has been a rise in what I would call intolerance,” Ouseley told the Guardian. “That not only happens in the streets and in the playground but in higher levels of society. There is an underlying subliminal message that all came to the fore during the last few weeks with ‘We want our country back’ and so on.”

Kick It Out is making a campaign against hate speech the central plank of its communications through clubs this season and Ouseley called on them to do more to explicitly encourage community cohesion. “We’ve got to do more. We’ve got a role as educators. Football is this great sport that reaches millions. What are the messages we’re sending out? Football clubs are doing great things in the community but in a lot of cases it’s about offering people a place to play. In my mind, mixing is the best opportunity to learn about each other. It’s got to have a component where those who are coaching, those in leadership positions, recognise it’s an important point of learning to grow up in our society.”

He added: “We can’t solve the problem of hate without recognising it in every strata of our society. We’ve got a responsibility to young people who are the next generation. I’ve been trying to get football to realise there is a greater responsibility. That’s not to say it’s not happening but it needs to happen with greater fervour, really embracing the way in which football can be a force for good.”

He said that although discrimination inside stadiums is now effectively policed, the problem has tended to move elsewhere. “People know that there are certain things you don’t say. People leave their prejudice at the gate and pick it up on the way out. That means that the lower down you go, the more it manifests itself. We have to really look at what is going on at grassroots – the lower down you go, there are no cameras, there is no complaints system.

“Schools, playgrounds, the streets. That’s where the next generation are and many of them can’t afford to go to Premier League football. It’s lower down that we’ve got a big problem. In the grassroots game people don’t complain because they don’t think anything will be done.”

As one simple step, he said he would like to see the Premier League invest in a campaign similar to Uefa’s “Say No to Racism” slots during Champions League matches. “It’s saying we’ve got people here from all the around the world playing this game and enjoying this game. It’s saying we’re not going to accept hate. Those things resonate. They don’t necessary alter behaviour because people are getting a daily diet of something else but it stops and makes them think. I genuinely believe that.”

The Labour peer said the depressing scenes in France over the summer, where a minority of England fans revelled in xenophobic chanting and were filmed abusing Romany children, were an example of what happened when people felt empowered to display racist views. “What happened in France didn’t surprise me,” he said. “If you’ve got people who are used to concealing their prejudice and suddenly feel comfortable about displaying it, it’s easy for those things that are part of you to bubble to the surface.

“It hasn’t gone away. It also comes from this recent exposure and diet they were getting from everything around [Brexit] campaigning that sent out the wrong messages, the subliminal hatred of other people came through all the debating that was happening. People did feel empowered and felt they now had a licence to say what they liked.”

Kick It Out statistics collected during Euro 2016 to monitor online discriminatory abuse showed 22,000 direct instances during the tournament. Of those, approximately 10,000 were aimed at the England squad. Ouseley said he had detected a rise in prejudice in football and beyond.

“You can sense that people are looking at foreigners, immigrants, people coming from the EU, and the message is coming across through politicians, how that is reported in the print media, how that is reflected on the front pages of certain newspapers,” he said. “That feeds a frenzy of people who are looking for something to blame. Football has made progress but we’ve got to keep on making progress in how we complain, how we regulate, how we sanction, how we get that message across.”

With the departing Football Association chairman, Greg Dyke, having failed in his most recent attempt to reform the organisation and diversify the make-up of the FA Council, Ouseley, who quit the body in frustration at the pace of change in 2012, said there was a long way to go in governing bodies and the clubs.

“Look at the boardroom, look at the senior management, look at the coaching staff then look at the bottom,” he said. “Look at clubs and you’ll see a lot more black and Asian people working in security and catering and so on. There is no progress there at all. The FA have made one step in the right direction with Heather Rabbatts. But it’s only one step. Let’s make some more giant steps.

“If you only ever see white men in power and in positions of authority, it represents a problem in terms of the balance of the sexes and different ethnic groups.”

The sports minister, Tracey Crouch, said recently she would remove the FA’s public funding of £30m over four years if it did not commit to significant governance changes by next year. Ouseley called on Crouch and the prime minister, Theresa May, to continue to push for a “harder-edged” solution.

“How do you change the FA from being a white boys’ club? How do you change the Football League? You’ve got to realise that unless you do something about changing things then nothing will change.”

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Yaya Toure has hit out at FIFA’s decision to disband its anti-racism task force.

The FIFA Task Force Against Racism and Discrimination was set up in 2013 and wound up on Sunday, with the world governing body saying it had achieved its mission.

Toure, who was a consultant to the task force, referenced the World Cup in 2018 in Russia, where there has been a history of players receiving racist abuse, and said the letter he received from FIFA “does not fill me with confidence”.

The Manchester City midfielder said in a statement on his personal website: “When I received the letter telling me the FIFA task force was to be discontinued I was very disappointed.

“The letter listed the good work that had been carried out as a result of the task force’s advice and recommendations. So my question is, after failing to deal with racism sufficiently for decades – why stop when something is beginning to work? Are FIFA being complacent ahead of a World Cup in Russia? This makes no sense.

“The task force brought together the expertise of campaigners, football administrators and players. It was a resource that gave FIFA the expertise they clearly did not have before.

“As a group, the task force could help shape and put in place the most effective initiatives to keep players and fans safe. The task force could question when FIFA were not delivering on its promise to do as much as they could in this area.

“My only hope is that FIFA have thought this through. The letter I received does not fill me with confidence. It will be the fans and players that suffer if FIFA do not get this right.”

Looks to me like FIFA probably throwing in the towel on it as they know they're powerless to do anything about it without governments taking it seriously and in places where the issues are generally it's not taken seriously by governments in fact some even promote it.

I don't think we'll get racist chanting at the world cup these sort of things tend to happen in bubbles like the Olympics everything is heavily controlled but it won't solve problems for black players who play in Russia.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 621 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 28, 29, 30, 31, 32  Next