AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:50 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Punditary: A Lost Art?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:32 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
“It’s a typical cup tie” – Can mean anything, absolutely anything. Any variation on a game of football is covered: Cagey and dull? ‘Typical cup tie. Frenetic and end-to-end? Typical cup tie. Flecked with violence and ill-temper? Typical yadda yadda yadda…

Personal favourite of mine

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:47 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
Am I the only one who likes squeaky bum time?

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:51 am 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
Moyes_Is_God wrote:

Fergie seems to like it, since he wheels it out every year when the season gets to the business end.

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
I thought it was Fergie who coined the phrase?

Is that just me being a naive young United fan?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:57 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Highscores: 28
I've only ever heard it from Ferguson I think. I think its a brilliant way to describe the end of the season run in!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:00 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

idontfeardeath wrote:
I thought it was Fergie who coined the phrase?

Is that just me being a naive young United fan?

I think it was actually Mick McCarthy who came up with it but it's not really a phrase I want to google on my work laptop :wink:

I don't think Fergie says it that much most of the time it's reporters who mention it to him.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Moyes_Is_God wrote:

no.... Reedo's a big fan

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:22 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
Pretty sure it was Fergie who came up with it, and due to his accent none of the reporters in the press conference were sure whether he said 'squeaky bum time' or 'speak your bum time'. Squaky bum time is the one that's stuck though.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:36 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Watching four unattractive, middle-aged men eating plastic croissants shouldn't be interesting, but Sunday Supplement is a fascinating insight into football journalism...

Four generally unattractive, generally middle-aged men sitting around a table laden with sarnies, juice and plastic croissants (well, we assumed they were plastic but we caught them eating one the other week - a press man raised on football ground hospitality may not be able to tell the difference) all pretending to talk shop over breakfast is not an obvious TV hit.

It's presented by a man with an enormous bison head holding up newspapers for the camera and pointing to various headlines made from heinous puns. There's a plodding, one might almost say fart-sounding theme tune that was presumably composed in four seconds by ripping off one of the auto-play settings of a 1980s Casio keyboard. It should really be quite rubbish.

But it isn't.

In our ongoing tour to assess the state of the football TV nation, we have slumped in front of Sunday Supplement. And it is a rare weekend morning that we do not tune in. We're sure that any UK-based reader will, at some point, have lay prone on the sofa with a mo-fo of a hangover peering blearily at its 9.30am delights. Or like one of us, Sky Plussed it to watch after we have returned from buying great armfuls of vinyl records by Loverboy at an early car boot.

For readers abroad, the format is simple. The host is Brian Woolnough, veteran chief sports writer of the Daily Star, our most downmarket daily tabloid newspaper. Not having a pop, just saying. Brian begins by rounding up all the big stories in England's 10 national Sunday papers and then throws it open to three guests. These are, invariably, the football correspondents or chief sports writers of the national daily and Sunday newspapers.

These fellows are at the top of their profession. When your tin foil hatters talk about media conspiracies against a player/team/city in the North West of England noted for its status as a major port during the industrial era and the home of The Beatles, these are the men they believe to be responsible. When we refer to 'the press' these are they. The accused. Whatever is done wrong these are the men who do it, and yet, oddly, the nation is addicted to their words - buying the papers they write for in millions.

Rightly, we sense this makes them all feel like Masters Of Their Domain. These are the head honchos, the big beasts. They have JT's number and they're gonna use it.

We find the programme a fascinating island in the stream of football media. An absolute stand out. It's a unique creation which survives season after season because actually, like it or not, these men - and it is always men, no-one with lady parts is ever invited (something we shall be discussing next week) are powerful dudes and while they dissemble and pretend otherwise most of the time, they know it.

It might be a greasy pole but these men sit atop of it like vultures looking for carrion. So every Sunday we get to peer inside their foetid minds and see who lives inside their heads...or failing that at least we can find out what they think about the job Kenny Dalglish is doing.

They are all distinct characters, so much so that you'd think they'd been created by Alan Aykbourn for a play. There's no mistaking one for the other. You've Martin 'Laptop' Lipton who has presumably got his moniker from being a bit of a stats man. Henry Winter is regularly there emitting an air of educated reason while reaching for an analogy to explain why Michael Owen should still be picked for England. There's Ollie Holt (the day he wore an alice band still haunts us) and the giant, always congested fur-ball that is Martin Samuel. The more educated and reasonable voices of Sam Wallace and Jonny Northcroft, the good-natured rambunctious Jon 'Ricco' Richardson, the cruelly scowling Paul 'Smithy' Smith, the carved-from-oak face and voice of Bob Cass, either of the Geordie Mafia, the Custis brothers (who we have always felt would make a good cartoon strip for Viz) or the arched eyebrows of the Football Emperor, Paddy Barclay, it doesn't matter who is on, there's nothing bland about any of them. This must go with the territory - you don't rise to the top of this profession without having something to say and being able to say it concisely with conviction. Not always right but always certain.

What intrigues us about the programme is watching the relationships between the panellists, and how they behave as a group. Woolnough often refers to his colleagues as "The Boys", reinforcing the sense of a gang, a unit. Indeed, they clearly spend a lot of time most weeks in the same room as each other as a football journalistic version of the Bash Street Kids.

We should insert at this point the disclaimer that neither of us considers himself to be a football journalist. We have no reporter's notebook; no little book of contacts to phone up a player or manager for a quote; no record nor interest in breaking stories; no brief to attend press conferences; no news beat, not even an nickname to be used while someone punches us a little too hard on the arm. This all looks like the kind hard work we have spent our lives trying to avoid. We draw on an imaginary Woodbine and say with narrowed eyes and a voice broken from too much cheap whiskey, 'that ain't our gig, man...no way.'

There are occasional disagreements, especially when Sean The Custis and Henry de Winter are on but all too often they seem to perhaps subconsciously groupthink on most matters - not one voice would dissent from 'Arry being England manager, for example. Indeed, pressing for his appointment may be one of the conditions of entry to the SS. Much of the time it looks like a room full of men trying to get their story straight for when the wife comes home and asks them what they've been doing. Sunday Supplement brilliantly, though unintentionally, reveals the ad hoc conspiracy behind football press.

Then of course, there's the football. Who is getting a kicking this week? Who looks like the runt of the litter and will be savaged? It's a moving feast. You won't find anything from the backwaters here. It's all Wayne, JT, 'Arry, Jose and Sir Alex. This gig is mainstream and obsessed with big names to the exclusion of anything else. Whoever is on has to be careful not to queer his pitch with a club, a player or a manager. When they have a right pop at someone you can be fairly sure they've not built any emotional capital with them and have nothing to lose. It must be an almost impossible job, offering critiques of people who you rely on for interviews and such like; a diplomatic minefield that you can sometimes see them mentally tip-toeing through. This is all what makes the Sunday Supplement such quality and, almost accidentally, such original television.

Other attempts have been made to do similar shows but the original remains the best and, though it may be uncool to say so, this is largely because of the qualities of the men who populate it.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:20 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I see Patty (TINH) has got scent of Stanley Collymore chatting sh*t on twitter about comments on a podcast he probably hasn't listened to.

In the same podcast they also rip into Darren Gough and his employers for paying him for opinions on football.

[ Post made via iPhone ] Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:35 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

JSP wrote:
I see Patty (TINH) has got scent of Stanley Collymore chatting sh*t on twitter about comments on a podcast he probably hasn't listened to.

In the same podcast they also rip into Darren Gough and his employers for paying him for opinions on football.

lol well he seems to think Liverpool are a special case & they should be entitled to refuse to play whenever they like, regardless of what their opponents think

....United opted to Memorialise Feb 6th but happily play & celebrate those lost, Liverpool seem to feel that not playing is the way forward, regardless of whether it hinders England's ECL representatives....

:shrug: ....Alan Davies expressed that & Collymore called him a t*rd

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:43 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Yep I happen to share Davies view that there's no better way to honour the 96 than to play the match especially considering it's a derby if it was Utd I'd see why they wouldnt want it.

I don't see why Chelsea should suffer as a result of it either.

He also has a go about Davies calling Spurs fans vermin I'm sorry but that is just football banter who admits his whole family are Spurs fans. Of the Footy podcasts I listen to that one is one that cracks me up the most.

I like Collymore as a pundit just think he jumped the gun a bit on this one plus that podcast came out a week ago why get upset all of a sudden?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Having just listened to this weeks podcast from Alan Davies I'd highly recommend he stays away from Liverpool for a few weeks until the heat is off as he's ripping into Kenny Dalglish.

This was recorded before Collymore started the campaign against him.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:14 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

"Gerard Pique has fallen out of favour at Barcelona in recent weeks...mind you, he's got Shakira to comfort him" - Gary Neville. After the 'bread, olives, oil AND vinegar' revelations of last week, I am ever so slightly in love.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

There's a reason the Daily Mail pay Jamie Redknapp the big bucks. That reason is not his innovation and free thinking. So far his much-trumpeted team of the season - he's named a goalkeeper and four defenders - is exactly the same as the PFA's team of the season.

Tomorrow comes the midfield. If it doesn't feature David Silva, Yaya Toure, Scott Parker and Gareth Bale we will be discombobulated.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Former England, Chelsea and Manchester United star Ray Wilkins has been charged with drinking and driving.

The Sky TV football pundit was pulled over near his home in Cobham, Surrey, in the early hours of Monday and arrested, according to Surrey Police.

Mr Wilkins, 55, who is a former coach at Chelsea, was questioned at Reigate police station and charged.

He was released on bail to appear at North Surrey Magistrates' Court on 21 May.

The former midfielder won 84 caps for England and played for a number of clubs including AC Milan and Queens Park Rangers during a career that spanned three decades from the 1970s.

Stay on your feet Butch, stay on your feet :cheers:

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 1:38 pm 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Highscores: 6
Drinks like a crab :coat:

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:04 pm 
National Hero
National Hero

Mr Carrot wrote:
Drinks like a crab :coat:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Wrote Paul Parker in his column for Eurosport on Friday:

"Chelsea cannot afford to let the Champions League final go to penalties.

"It is an English side against a German one - on Bayern's home pitch. There is only one winner there."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 2:25 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

As per usual, The Daily Mail take their 'We told you so' bragging to arse-witted heights in their piece about West Ham's playoff victory.

'Sportsmail's Jamie Redknapp predicted a Hammers triumph,' smugs the paper, highlighting a section from Jamie's column on Saturday in which he did indeed pick West Ham.

Still, we hardly think predicting a win for a side that finished 11 points ahead of Blackpool, and in the two previous games this season spanked them 4-0 and 4-1, is necessarily something to brag too loudly about.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next