The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Strop Souey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:43 am 
Brigadier General
Brigadier General

Soccer hardman Graeme Souness launched into a foul-mouthed rant at an Under-10s football match — after his son James was clogged.

The former Liverpool star, 55, started effing and blinding at the coach of a rival team in front of shocked families, claiming his player had “lashed out” at the nine-year-old.

The flashpoint came after James won the ball in the match between Hale and Bramhall North in the Stockport Metro League.

Mike Frayne, club secretary of Bramhall, said: “Souness marched across the pitch and asked where the f***ing Bramhall coach was — and he started shouting abuse.

Speechless

“People were shocked. I’ll be reporting Souness to the League, and the Cheshire FA will take a dim view.”

Jeff Goodwin, 46, who was watching his son Jacob, said: “This guy should know better. There were ladies in our group. He did say to them, ‘Excuse me.’

“But he told our coach, ‘If you think this is the way to teach kids to play, you’ve no f***ing chance.’

“Our coach was speechless. It was out of order.”

Ex Scotland star Souness — who managed Liverpool, Blackburn and Newcastle — admitted losing his cool.

Souness, now a TV pundit, said: “I did swear. I hold my hands up. But I apologised when I saw a woman present.

“My son took the ball off a kid and the kid lashed out.

“I waited 90 seconds for the coach to take the lad off — but nothing happened. I said to him, ‘What the f*** are you teaching kids?’ ”

Bramhall won 5-0.

Ref Mike Connor, whose son plays for Hale, said: “One lad kicked James. I don’t like sending off kids and I was half-hoping their coach would do something — but he didn’t.”

Quote:
Conscience says:
You did the right thing

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Strop Souey
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:50 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

There's a video about to come out with Ray Winstone playing the angry touchline dad basically shouting at kids and it's part of the FA respect campaign. He makes a good point in it basically saying if these parents aren't sorted out kids will just stop playing as it's not fun anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:58 am 
Sergeant
Sergeant

Highscores: 3
Have to wonder about the ref - he seems to be implying he should have sent him off but didn't cos he doesn't like doing it - might be ok, but in that case surely you go to the coach and tell him you are sending the player off unless he is taken off

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:03 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
auto98 wrote:
Have to wonder about the ref - he seems to be implying he should have sent him off but didn't cos he doesn't like doing it - might be ok, but in that case surely you go to the coach and tell him you are sending the player off unless he is taken off

That's a good point, it's fair enough that he doesn't like sending kids off, but if there are no consequences to their actions then they'll never learn.

My dad's mate was a qualified ref, and he sent a 12 year old off once. The kid's dad came running across the field claiming "he's too young to be sent off", to which the reply was "if he's old enough to call me a f***ing c**t then he's old enough to get sent off".

:doh:

You know what Paks like. He's probably voted JSP for woman of the year or something.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:22 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Thing is at that age it's all about fun if the opposition has a sub why not just ask the manager to take him off and put the sub on. That way everyone gets to play and the lad who kicked out is punished.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:30 pm 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
Ah, brings back memories. I used to live in Bramhall when I was growing up. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:53 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

JSP wrote:
There's a video about to come out with Ray Winstone playing the angry touchline dad basically shouting at kids and it's part of the FA respect campaign. He makes a good point in it basically saying if these parents aren't sorted out kids will just stop playing as it's not fun anymore.

Resurrection Joe wrote:

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

"I did swear. I hold my hands up. But I apologised when I saw a woman present" - Souness himself reveals he knows how to conduct himself in front of the ladies.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Saux sorry but it's over, Graeme
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Football pundit Graeme Le Saux, who quit the BBC after a dispute with their head of football Niall Sloane, has now been axed from ITV’s analyst panel by the same TV sports executive.

Le Saux, a former England international who played for Chelsea, Blackburn and Southampton, was part of the ITV team for their coverage of the last England game against Ukraine in April, appearing on the highlights show. But he has been told that he won’t be involved in ITV’s future England broadcasts or other football programming.

This follows Sloane becoming ITV’s head of sport last month having left the BBC upset at not being included in the short list of candidates — after being encouraged to apply — for the Beeb sports boss job that went to Barbara Slater.

Le Saux walked out of the BBC in April 2006 two days before a scheduled appearance on Match of the Day after being told colleague Mark Lawrenson would be the BBC co- commentator for England matches at the World Cup.

Le Saux claimed that Sloane had already promised him that high-profle role as well as sending him a schedule of his proposed England games. The ex-footballer’s upset was compounded by having retired from playing early to establish his BBC career.

An ITV spokesperson said: ‘There are no plans to use Graeme in the immediate future.’

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Saux sorry but it's over, Graeme
PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:22 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
:lol: That's pretty unlucky, to fall out with one boss and then he follows you to your next company. Bet he'd wished he stayed at the Beeb now, unless he can worm his way in with Sky or someone.

Post subject: Do You Wanna Bet?
PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:49 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

So Anderson has promised to strip naked and do a naked victory lap if he scores in the Champions League final.

Manchester United’s Brazilian midfielder Anderson has vowed to strip naked and run around Rome’s Olympic Stadium if he scores in the Champions League final.

Considering he’s yet to notch up his first United goal despite playing 75 games, this isn’t the most dangerous threat ever, but you can be sure his team-mates will make him follow through with the vow if he does score.

There’s a history of sportsmen (and it is just the men) making outrageous wagers and challenging each other to complete ridiculous forfeits. Here’s the pick of the bunch…

David Campese
Australian rugby star David Campese was forced to walk up and down London’s busy Oxford Street wearing a St George's Cross sandwich board bearing the message "I admit the best team won" in 2003 after England won the World Cup. Ahead of the tournament he had dismissed England’s chances, labelling Martin Johnson’s side "boring".

Mark Lawrenson
The hairy lipped Football Focus presenter and Daily Mirror columnist was forced shave off his much-loved moustache in 2002 after he bet Bolton fans their club would be relegated from the Premier League. Sam Allardyce's team avoided the drop, and the ‘tache had to go, with Lawro raising £1,500 for the NSPCC along the way.

Andy Murray
The British No.1 was forced to wear his clothes inside out for dinner after he lost a game of ‘football tennis’ to fellow Brit over James Blake during a invitational tournament in Abu Dhabi. Murray told his website: "Won my match but lost at footie tennis after. My forfeit is to wear my clothes inside out at dinner tonight!"

Joleon Lescott
Last season Everton’s Joleon Lescott had a wager with his Aston Villa supporting cousin that The Toffees would finish higher in the league than Villa. "If we finish above Villa he will have to wear a blue Everton shirt when the family get together on Christmas Day," said Lescott. "I told him I can't do something like that. It will have to be some other kind of forfeit. I'll end up having to wash his car or something.” As it turned out it was Lescott’s cousin who lost the bet. Good job he didn’t have the same wager this season.

David James
The England and Pompey goalkeeper was ‘punished’ by his fellow players at Fratton Park for being the laziest trainer by having to drive around town in a beat-up Reliant Robin three-wheeler. The whole squad chipped in for the car, which even had a loudspeaker fitted on the roof to attract attention by belting out animal noises.

Gary Johnson
The Bristol City boss claimed in 2007 that if defender Liam Fontaine ever scored he would “show my backside in Burton's window”. Four months later Fontaine scored - but Johnson tried to wriggle out of the forfeit. In the end the manager painted a target on his backside and allowed Fontaine to take three shots at it.

Ryan Taylor
Newcastle prankster Steven Taylor found time for jokes amid the chaos of Toon's ultimately doomed season - but then again if the Magpies didn't find something to laugh about they would probably cry. Ryan Taylor was one of his victims, forced to train in a Dumb and Dumber style orange tuxedo after losing out in a game of football golf.

Phil Gartside and Sam Allardyce
Bolton chairman Phil Gartside had to endure an early Bushtucker trial after the Trotters' impressive opening day win after being promoted to the Premier League in 2004. With ex Crazy Gang man Dean Holdsworth setting up a deal whereby a win by more than three goals would see the Bolton bosses performing forfeits, with the players suffering if they lost by more than three, a 5-0 victory over Leicester meant the players could pick their punishment. Cue Gartside sitting down to a dinner of seared sheep's testicles, raw squid tentacles and oysters, vegetarian phall curry with basmati rice and snails, rounded off with black pudding ice-cream. Manager Sam Allardyce got off lightly, dressing up as a clown and collecting money in Bolton town centre.

Rodney Marsh
Ex-footballer turned pundit Rodney Marsh was so convinced that Bradford would be relegated from the Premier League in 1999/00 that he offered to shave all of his hair off if they stayed up. You’ve guessed it, they stayed up! Marsh honoured his bet and had his hair whipped off in the centre circle of Bradford City's home stadium.

Rod Marsh & Dennis Lillee
After day two of the third Ashes Test of 1981 Australia were on top at Headingley leading by 221 with England 6 for 1 in their second innings. Bookies obviously fancied an Aussie victory so had England 500-1 to win the Test, odds that Australian cricketers Rod Marsh & Dennis Lillee couldn’t refuse. They duly lumped on, despite both being part of the game, and when Ian Botham and Bob Willis steered England to a heroic victory they’d lost the gamer but won big at the bookies. You wouldn’t get away with reckless betting like this anymore

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Just Don`t Employ Stupid People, ESPN
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:28 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Ray Stubbs has left the BBC to present ESPN's Premier League coverage. It doesn't bode well for ESPN's new Premier League channel.

The man they should have gone to is obviously James Richardson. He's intelligent without being aloof, he's witty without being a smart-arse, has a wide knowledge of English and European football and can pronounce foreign names. None of these things can be said confidently said about the worthy, but a tad dull, Raymondo.

So you've got that one wrong ESPN, now before you do anything else stupid, stop and think how you're going to cover the Premier League. Do you want to be new and different or just pump out the usual low-grade slurry?

Please don't make television for the least demanding and most stupid viewer, okay? Instead, be intelligent, erudite, original and entertaining. This is not too much to ask, it will not go over most of our heads.

Let's start with commentators. If they were clever, they'd poach John Murray from 5live. His Northumbrian burr would add a new flavour, he's knowledgeable, quick to improvise, passionate and his voice goes all squeaky when he's excited, all of which is good.

And there's one other new voice they could draw on: Shaka Hislop. He already commentates on Italian and Spanish football for ESPN. An intelligent, educated man, he would bring a refreshing, original voice to proceedings.

And here's another thing ESPN; make sure your pundits are coherent and capable of constructing a sentence, then make sure they are bright enough to say something interesting.

Other sports don't have any problem doing this - look at the cricket, you don't hear Mike Atherton, Ian Botham, Shane Warne, Geoff Boycott, Michael Holding, Nasser Hussain or any number of other ex-pros short of an interesting sentence because they're articulate, intelligent men. Intelligence is the key. ESPN - don't employ stupid people!

Who amongst us has not sat in front of our TV as some top, top spouter of top, top punditry does his thing and thought, why have they asked someone who can't even string a few words together to string a few words together?

We all know who the thickies are. They might be nice lads, but that's just not enough. I suspect TV execs think these men are just like their audience and thus viewers will empathise with them. They're wrong. They should be seeking to elevate standards not chase down the lowest common denominator.

Of those we've already seen on our screens there are a few who could perform well for the new channel. Steve McManaman was a cheerful presence on Setanta, The Waddler divides opinion but for me remains one of the most radical and interesting voices. Gary McAllister is an interesting and perceptive man, while Dion Dublin has an easy charm and Matt Le Tissier is one of Soccer Saturday's most enjoyable presences. I like Ray Parlour too, he's not Brain of Britain but he has an eager puppy-like manner, clearly loves football and can be genuinely funny too.

There must be others, as yet untried, who have something to offer beyond the repetition of cliches as though it's original thought. All it takes is a bit of effort to find them.

But don't stop there ESPN. There should also be a much higher profile for women in your coverage. Why ignore talent because of its gender? Rebecca Lowe covered the Blue Square Premier really well on Setanta. Helen Chamberlain deserves a live football gig. Top players Sue Smith and Faye White have both done TV work to a high standard and are positively professorial in comparison to the likes of Sir Les, Merson and Redknapp, who, let's be honest, shouldn't even be asked to talk for money. There's no reason to exclude women from covering men's football.

For non-British input, ESPN should be going to the likes of Marcel Desailly, Jurgen Klinsmann, Paolo Di Canio and Luca Vialli - all men who know English football, know European and African football, are intelligent, interesting, wear killer suits and speak English better than Merse - as indeed do most dogs - plus they don't have the dazed expression of a man recently hit on the head with a cricket bat.

They would bring a brighter, progressive flavour to proceedings, even if in Di Canio's case it might involve invoking the spirit of Il Duce. So be it. Let's debate right-wing politics in a football context, I'd take that over the usual 'he'll be disappointed with that/he's took a touch/them's the things that count' rubbish that passes for a lot of 'analysis'.

Why not find some interesting, perceptive members of the public to participate? Is an inarticulate, boring ex-player more preferable to an educated, articulate, interesting member of the football public? Only to TV executives it seems.

And in further pursuit of a higher-quality output, there should be no football journalists allowed on discussion shows. They're always keen not to upset players and managers because they need to keep them onside for interviews and access. Too many of them have players and managers as friends who they want to puff up, such as Ian Ridley's constant advancing of Tony Adams (remember him pushing Houllier and Adams as an England management team!) or NOTW Chelsea fan Rob Beasley's star-struck, cringing references to 'big JT'.

If journalists are to be used, why not go for the cream such as Hugh McIlvanney or writers such as Harry Pearson? Men who need not fear the consequences of upsetting the latest Premier League ego-maniac. As soon as you let the tabloid mentality into the building, you start dragging proceedings downmarket. And we've had enough of stupid, downmarket football coverage with its obsession with 'headline' players like Owen, Beckham and Terry.

We're blessed with comprehensive quality coverage of football on the pitch but off the pitch it's a different matter; Gary Newbon staring blankly at me while listening to some lager-fuelled cockney on a phone-in about how foreign players lack passion is not my - nor almost anyone's idea - of a good time, surely.

Being bright, intelligent, clever and original doesn't mean it has to be the sporting equivalent of an Open University degree course on quantum physics. However, there is a strong, deep streak of anti-intellectualism in British culture generally and football specifically; as though being stupid is more cool than being clever. ESPN could try and counter-balance that.

They have nothing to lose and everything to gain by taking a more upmarket, erudite, cultured tone. We understand better quality products cost more money - just make it worth the money and we will pay it.

The BBC don't trust us to do that - which is why we're mandated to pay them £3.6 billion a year for owning a TV - rather than have the opportunity to opt out of the licence fee and pay for what we want to watch of their output. They could potentially generate more income that way, but it's not safe or guaranteed and they clearly don't trust their product or their customers enough not to legally force us to pay them.

ESPN has the opportunity to raise the bar for everyone; to shake up and refresh the football broadcasting industry, but have they the courage, understanding or the vision to do so? Sadly, Stubbs' appointment already suggests it's a revolution that will not be televised.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Just Don`t Employ Stupid People, ESPN
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:30 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

'Jester' Ian Wright is being handed an unlikely return to the football pundit's chair by ESPN.

Wright - who claimed he was used by the BBC as light relief alongside Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer - will be in the studio for Saturday's opening-day clash between Everton and Arsenal.

He will be joined by Thailand boss Peter Reid alongside host Ray Stubbs while Jon Champion will be in the commentators' box with former Everton manager Joe Royle.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:42 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Hopefully he's not afraid to give an opinion instead of just the usual non offensive stuff that Redknapp, Grey etc come out with on Sky.

I just hope that ESPN are happy to upset a few people along the way

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:47 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
Resurrection Joe wrote:

'Jester' Ian Wright is being handed an unlikely return to the football pundit's chair by ESPN.

Wright - who claimed he was used by the BBC as light relief alongside Alan Hansen and Alan Shearer - will be in the studio for Saturday's opening-day clash between Everton and Arsenal.

He will be joined by Thailand boss Peter Reid alongside host Ray Stubbs while Jon Champion will be in the commentators' box with former Everton manager Joe Royle.

I'm having difficulty thinking of a worse line-up. :no:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:21 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

New channel... same old story. The coverage of Everton v Arsenal felt so familiar: totally safe and boring and with nothing we have not already seen done before on Sky and the BBC.

Maybe it is just as well. The only innovation to speak of was a bizarre sort of pre-filmed Masterpiece Theatre thing that opened the show, with the actor Seven Berkoff shouting about passion and "This is who we are" on a moodily-lit stage, all stupid camera angles and lurching cuts. Maybe TV people think that we mouth-breathing football fans, unexposed to art and culture as we must surely be, will be awestruck by this sophistication, like kids having a fifty pence piece produced from our ear by some bitter, borderline sex-case children's party magician. We're not. It just seemed pretentious and pointless, and shockingly hammy.

Still, we were here for the football, not the man who shook up modern theatre with his celebrated Coriolanus. Ray Stubbs, as familiar as an old woolly jumper, and about as exciting, introduced things in a studio that was an absolute dead ringer for Football Focus and had all the standard-issue crappy brushed neon and sweeping logo nonsense. Even the onscreen graphics seemed identical to the BBC typeface, while the technical jiggery-pokery of the ESPN Axis analysis tool appeared to be exactly the same thing that Sky has: i.e. a video with a pause button and some underpaid tech stooge drawing little red circles under the players.

The most eye-catching thing in the studio were the remarkable bugger grips adoring Peter Reid's eager little monkey face, so grey and whispy I thought that they might be a trick of the light, or the bottle of vodka with which I immediately had to self-medicate once he and Wrighty began to talk.

Reidy cleverly identified Tim Cahill as being one of Everton's players to watch; while Wrighty reckoned that Robin Van Persie: "Has the ability to become a talisman. He should really be stamping his mark on games. Really be stamping his mark on games." Hey, it was such a good point, it needed saying twice, you know?

Wrighty "hadn't seen much" of former Ajax defender Thomas Vermaelen - after all, why would somebody who gets paid a shedload of money to talk about football have bothered to learn anything about a bloke who has played for one of Europe's great footballing institutions for half a dozen seasons? But Wrighty was sure the fact that Wenger had purchased him meant that "Vermaelen would be half decent". Innit. Reidy, meanwhile, was optimistic that "Fellini" would be Everton's key threat. How would the Gunners' back-line cope with his challenging blend of neorealism and the baroque, or his exploration of dreams and sexuality that redefined the possibilities of European cinema?

I know that expecting an ex-professional footballer to earn the punditry corn with even a modicum of insight or wit is simply pointless masochism, but I had hoped naively that the new channel might offer something a bit different. It didn't.

With a decent news peg on which to hang the game - the inclusion of Joleon Lescott in the Everton XI despite the transfer speculation surrounding the player - interviewer/reporter Rebecca Lowe tried to get David Moyes and then Alan Stubbs to admit that it had affected preparations for the season opener. Now, we're not expecting Paxman, but, Rebecca, they weren't just evading the question, they were simply ignoring you and answering another imaginary question of their own choosing. It's just a waste of time. The best bit about the interviews was that, once finished, Wenger/Moyes/etc had to stand there alongside Rebecca, looking bored and vaguely affronted, while she did her link back to Stubbsy.

The match coverage itself was fine, John Champion and Massive Joe Royle, and could have been from any TV or radio station over the last decade or so. Best commentary moment was, appropriately enough, when nobody was talking. Royle: "There's been a lot of discussion around the town about the Everton number nine jersey, which was always coveted; they offered it to Saha but he said he wanted the number eight" and then lapsed into a silence that effortlessly conveyed his withering contempt.

Long advert breaks and a bit more "interviewing" from Rebecca meant that Reidy and Wrighty only had a few minutes to do at the end of the show, before an exclusive interview with Sir Alex Ferguson, which was... alright.

Seven goals, a good, provocative news story, the excitement of the opening day and... the same tired old tosh. Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:29 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Reports The Guardian Website this morning:

'ESPN has signed former England and Newcastle United manager, Kevin Keegan, as lead analyst for its Premier League football coverage this season.'

Good work boys - where did you dig that one up from? Perhaps from watching Keggy on the gogglebox as he appeared as ESPN's analyst for the West Ham v Spurs game?

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:30 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Asked Sky Sports inquisitor in chief Geoff Shreeves after Chelsea's win over Fulham yesterday: "So Didier, 3 wins from 3, surely that's the best possible start?"

Err, well....yes. We were sorry Didier didn't slap him round the chops and say: "Of course it bloody is you clot. And don't call me Shirley."

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:16 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

You might remember a while back that The Daily Mirror's Darren Lewis had some surprisingly pleasant things to say about Ian Wright's 'punditry' on ESPN.

If you missed it, Lewis wrote: 'The chummy Ray Stubbs eased us in with his bloke-ish charm while his pundits - Everton and Arsenal legends Peter Reid and Ian Wright - were engaging and perceptive.'

Funny, we thought Wrighty spouted his usual load of utter bulls**t, but then again AGR is not sponsored by ESPN, as the Mirror's Mania section was on Saturday.

Interestingly, today's 'Mania' is brought to you by Vauxhall, so we look forward to Mr Lewis commenting on the surprisingly roomy and practical new Astra.

ImageImage
Quote: