Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Football to turn pink for Justin Fashanu Day
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:18 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 3
Football will turn pink on Saturday - when gay fans celebrate the first Justin Fashanu Day.

The former Nottingham Forest and Norwich striker remains Britain's only prominent openly-gay footballer.

Saturday is the 11th anniversary of Fashanu's death and the campaign against homophobia in football has been inspired by amateur side Brighton Bandits..

ImageImage
Quote:
Goodnight, thank you, and may your god go with you

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Football to turn pink for Justin Fashanu Day
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:28 pm 
General
General

Highscores: 2
Brighton Bandits :laugh:

Post subject: Anything But Gay
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 1:58 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Attention-hungry footballers are more than happy to front campaigns against racism and poverty or ponce about being UNICEF ambassadors. But ask them to lift a little finger to stamp out homophobia and they revert to being eight years old by running off in case anyone should think that they are...you know...'one of them'.

Not a single player in the Premier League would support an anti-homophobia campaign in England and it looks like being the same situation in la Liga judging by the reaction of a certain Swedish footballer plying his trade at Barcelona to a jokey suggestion that he may bat for the other side.

Last week, a photograph was snapped of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and Gerard Piqué having a touching moment in what appears to be a car park. And when confronted by a TV reporter from a Spanish gossip show, a footballer not exactly known for his sense of humour reacted in somewhat predictable fashion to a question of whether he had anything to share with the wider world.

"Bring your sister," is by far RJ's own personal highlight.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Anything But Gay
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 6:19 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 1
What a legend... ary reply :lol: :thumbup:

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:23 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Inside Sport special - The Last Taboo

Inside Sport
Date: Monday, 24 May Coverage details: BBC One (England 2320 BST, Scotland & Wales 2350 BST, Northern Ireland 0020 BST (Tue)

Over the past few weeks I have been called naive, stupid, brave, predictable, slow, cumbersome and astonishingly, cute. All this, because I was making a television programme.

Mind you, all that was nothing compared to some of the name-calling suffered by the people I have been interviewing.

Former Wales rugby union international and now rugby league player Gareth Thomas, former British basketball star John Amaechi, tennis legend Martina Navratilova and All-Ireland hurler Donal Og Cusack have all tried to help me understand why in 2010, 10 years into the 21st century, we have only ever had one openly gay footballer in this country.

It was 1990 when Justin Fashanu announced his sexuality to the world via the front page of the Sun. It was 1998 when his body was found in an east London lock-up. He had taken his own life.

His story, his experiences and more than anything else, his death still dominate the subject. 'No player will come out because look what happened to Justin Fashanu' is a common argument. When I mentioned on Twitter I was writing this documentary, Fashanu was mentioned in one of the first tweets I got back.

But as much as we cannot ignore Fashanu, what part do the media play, the fans, the companies who plough billions into the sport and the players themselves? Is any one of them more responsible than the rest for the fact that other sports can deal with openly gay players and football seemingly cannot?

The answers came from the sporting legends I named at the start. They also came from the managing director of Hill and Knowlton, a big sporting marketing and public relations agency, the head of Let's Kick Racism Out of Football campaign Piara Powar and Brian Noble, who is the coach of Crusaders, where Thomas plays his rugby league.

I also pulled on my boots to join the London Titans football team in a gay friendly league, hence the slow and cumbersome comments. But have you spotted anything missing in my list - a footballer maybe?
Quote:
There is a need for the national game to be in a position to make it possible for a footballer to come out if they so wish
Mark Chapman

Just one player stuck his head over the parapet. Numerous calls, texts and e-mails were made or sent. Most were ignored, some were politely responded to but only one was accepted.

I thank Clarke Carlisle for answering his phone to me and then speaking to me on camera eloquently, intelligently and with honesty on the subject. I asked the Burnley centre-half if, as a straight man talking about this, he would get stick from the footballing community for speaking out. "Without any doubt," was his reply.

There have already been accusations that a programme like this will make more of an issue out of the subject.

I don't have a burning desire for a player to be openly out, there is no need for a player to be openly out but there is a need for the national game to be in a position to make it possible for a footballer to come out if they so wish.

To allow them to be who they are without a fear of losing a boot deal, of being ostracised by team-mates, of being spat on or being abused by fans.

It took one of my best mates, who I always went to football with, until his late 20s to come out to me.

If there had been an openly gay footballer, would my friend have come out earlier and saved himself years of turmoil? Amaechi told me it would have made no difference and that I was just "cute and naive" for even suggesting it. I disagree - I think and he thinks it would have helped him.

There is no salacious gossip in this documentary. I do not out a footballer which is what some people might be expecting, and which a couple of other television companies wanted me to do when I mentioned this subject to them in previous years.

It simply asks whether sport's last taboo will be broken?

It is down to all of us connected to the game to help with the answer.

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:51 am 
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

im surprised arsenal havent organised a high profile event??

:unsure:

Post subject: Would A Gay Footballer Bother You?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:39 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Steven Davies, the England wicket-keeper came out as gay this week. The sound of no-one being bothered was deafening. Rather, he got the support of his captain and team-mates. Would this happen in football? I think it probably would. Or I hope so.

Most of us know people who are gay, or at least who like a bit of butter on both sides of their toast don't we? Are we bothered? No, probably not.

In the last 30 years this has been a profound change in society.

In the 70s, being gay wasn't something many people would admit to. It was a lifestyle conducted in the shadows and one which the rest of us knew very little about.

If you were a bloke the only acceptable homosexuality was between women, and then only pretty women on celluloid. We never thought we'd know any actual real-life lesbians. As far as I knew, they didn't exist on Teesside. Perhaps there was a local by-law, or maybe the pollution from ICI Wilton had some sort of de-lesbianing affect on the local women's DNA.

I did know a gay bloke who is now a prominent figure in the arts. Not that I knew he was gay at the time, which considering I spent a drunken night in the same bed as him might have led to a social faux pas. However, I passed out before my heterosexuality was put to test.

However, even if I had known, I wouldn't have been especially bothered, not because I was some uber-liberal, open-minded kid but because of all the things to be worried about as a teenager - most of which revolved around the many threats of violence from boys and sexual humiliation by girls - some lad fancying other lads was very low down on your list of things that might impinge on your life in any way. So I reasoned, why be bothered about it any more than one would be bothered about someone who likes a different colour or band to yourself.

This however was not a popular stance. To be a proper bloke in the north in the 70s and indeed into the 80s, you really had to be offended by such matters and loudly express your concern. That was the hard-line according to Proper Men. Proper Men who liked Queen and Judas Priest, I might add.

Such macho behaviour was easy enough for us to ignore and to mock, but less so for blokes I knew who were gay. For them, it was a real threat both mental and physical. Since some people were prepared to kick them to the point of unconsciousness if they discovered their sexuality, they were, rightly, paranoid. Clearly this was unfair, unjust and downright evil.

This is where the change of attitudes really began to take hold around the mid 80s, and for the next decade people who felt it fundamentally unfair not only supported their gay friends but were prepared to argue and fight for their rights both socially and politically many of which eventually came to pass.

Today, many of us move in social circles where the idea that someone would be anti-gay would be not just unacceptable but genuinely shocking in the same way that when we hear east European football crowds making monkey noises at our black players is shocking.

So in this context it's not surprising that Steven Davies announcement has not caused any great social stirrings.

However, in the world of football, still no-one dares admit to being gay. Why? Clearly, in a sport that employs over 2000 professionals, some footballers are likely to be gay. Is anyone really bothered apart from a few bigots?

Two years on from rugby man Gareth Thomas' similar announcement, which was heralded as a breakthrough at the time, there is still no sign of any such thing happening in the macho world of the footballer's locker room

Ironically, this comes at a time when footballers behaviour would have been described by the 1970s macho fan as that of a bloody pansy, poufter or nancy boy. Feigning injury, showing pain, walking into the ground with a man bag, wearing after shave, using moisturiser, spending money of a fancy hair cut and perhaps most of all, crying when you lose or bloody well crying when you win would have all been construed as the behaviour of someone who was not quite a real man, if not an actual homosexual.

Perhaps these are the things that Big JT was urging his team-mates to cast aside when they 'man up?'

We all understand that a football dressing room is likely to be an alpha male, macho environment, but that doesn't exclude gay men per se does it? Some gay blokes I've known are alpha males and macho - much more so than limp-wristed, poetry-loving, girl-chasing me.

So just why is there such fear in the football community of coming out?

People might fear getting stick from the crowd - but in the macho world of rugby league, when some Castleford fans made homophobic chants against Gareth Thomas, they were reported by other fans, banned from the ground and the club fined. Now if that can happen in the unreconstructed working class towns of the old West Yorkshire coalfield, it can happen anywhere.

Most of us wouldn't tolerate such chanting any more than we'd tolerate racist chanting. Times have changed and football fans overall reactions shouldn't be judged by its most Neanderthal elements.

Surely most footballers, even those who fancy themselves as gangsta-rappers, in their non-football lives know someone who isn't straight. Surely we're all pretty grown up about this now aren't we? I'm sure there'd still be dressing room banter about it but would it really be unbearable and nasty any more?

Some managers are known to think it would be bad for team morale. Why? Is everyone going to be worried they might get bummed in the showers? Come on. Surely we've gone beyond such inanity?

Maybe it is the fear that it would be that bad is actually what inhibits those players who are gay from revealing the fact.

We know some footballers are a bit backward and unsophisticated; men whose characters are shaped by and follow the lead of the loudest voices but equally there are many footballers who are not idiots and who would not be a boorish swine if a teammate came out.

It's 2011 and the fact we still we have no gay footballers who feel able to be who they are in public, the way their heterosexual team mates take for granted, is really rather shocking but perhaps above all, is really rather sad. It's time for it to change.

ImageImage
Quote:

Post subject: Re: Would A Gay Footballer Bother You?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:51 pm 
Major General
Major General

Highscores: 12
I honestly don't think there'll be that much fuss when a footballer finally comes out. Sure initially it'll hit the headlines just because they'd be the first (since Fashnu, anyway) but it'd be forgotten about within a day or two by the papers. I can't imagine they'd get much stick from teammates either, so that just leaves the fans. While there's always going to be idiots (as there are in all sports) I doubt the vast majority would care. Like in rugby, the ones giving abuse would probably get found out and banned soon enough.

How bad was the abuse Fashnu got? I was too young at the time to remember.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:10 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

He got dogs abuse, mate. Football being the working man's game, predictably gave those with a lack of understanding - about 95% of the crowds - the opportunity to ridicule him. It was a very sad decline, as he was a gifted young player.

Gareth Thomas and Steven Davies won't get a fraction of what the terraces can deal out. And until it's accepted, gay footie players will continue to hide. Can't see it happening soon.

I personally have no suspicions, nor do I care.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:22 pm 
Euro2012 Winner
Euro2012 Winner

Highscores: 7
Resurrection Joe wrote:
Would A Gay Footballer Bother You?

I wish.

Quote:
Manchester United fans look away now: Paul Pogba has been crowned the best young player in Europe.

Image :snigger:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:36 pm 
Major General
Major General

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:48 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:52 pm 
Captain
Captain

Its probably been said earlier, but why on earth should it matter?
The only issue should be how good are they?
Sexual orientation, race, religion, colour, culture, should all be irrelevent. And whilst we're at it, how about why not women too if theyre good enough?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:56 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Spock wrote:
And whilst we're at it, how about why not women too if theyre good enough?

Because they should be at home in the kitchen

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:00 pm 
Major General
Major General

...making me a sandwich.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Spock wrote:
The only issue should be how good are they?
Sexual orientation, race, religion, colour, culture, should all be irrelevent. And whilst we're at it, how about why not women too if theyre good enough?

I don't think it should matter at all. But the fans will lay in to them severely.

As for women, I wouldn't be surprised to see one given a chance in the future.

I think I read somewhere that one has been signed up in American Football.

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:06 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I wouldn't be suprised if there were and it shouldn't be a problem but it will be for a while if a player came out publically he will get stick until the masses stand up and do something about it.

There's a different type of banter between fans and players in football than other sports in the UK it's a lot more intimidating and angry than say a rugby or cricket crowd.

I think we're more setup as a nation to deal with it than we were with Racism during the 60's & 70's when Black players started to break through into teams.

I don't think it would bother home fans they'd still get behind the player ( :ohmy: ) but I could see him getting stick from away fans or sections of home fans when playing away. There is still an element of idiots who go to football looking for trouble but games are so heavily policed that they know they can't do anything.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:32 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Mr Spock wrote:

cos they'll want to accessorise the kit & clean the changing rooms, leaving bowls of pot pourri everywhere & calling everyone honkytonks.... i know what 'they're' like, Dick Emery told me

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:05 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

From a list of 'out' sportsmen from The BBC Website:

'Martina Navratilova (tennis) 1981
Greg Louganis (diving) 1995
John Amaechi (basketball) 2007
Donal Og Cusak (hurling) 2009
Gareth Thomas (rugby) 2009
John Fashanu (football) 1990'

awooga!!!!

ImageImage
Quote:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:11 pm 
AGR Poster Of The Year
AGR Poster Of The Year

Football's first openly gay player?
Anton Hysen, the son of former Liverpool defender Glenn Hysen, has become the first openly gay footballer in Sweden and possibly in Europe.
The 20-year-old, who plays in the Swedish second division for Utsiktens BK, who are coached by his father Glenn, comes from a footballing family with his older brothers Tobias and Alexander both playing professionally too.

Hysen revealed that he came out to try and show that being a gay footballer is no big deal.

"I might not play in the top league, but I want to prove that there is no big deal if I'm a footballer and also gay," he told Offside magazine.

"If I perform as a footballer, then I do not think it matters if I like men or women."

Hysen admits that some people might have a problem with his decision but that it is their problem and not his.

"There will always be people who can't tolerate gay people, just like there are people who can't tolerate immigrants.

"A club might be interested in me and then the coach might change his mind if he finds out I'm gay, but that is his problem not mine."

England cricket player Steven Davies and Welsh rugby star Gareth Thomas both recently came out in high profile cases, but there are currently no openly gay footballers in England's top four divisions.

"It's totally sick when you think about it," Hysen said about the lack of openly gay footballers.

"It's so f****d up, everything. Where the hell is everyone else?"

Hysen's brother Tobias, a Swedish international with 15 caps, backed his brother's decision.

"Hopefully more people will have the courage to come out now after his brave decision."