AwayGoalsRule Football Forum

The Internet's Finest Football Forum

Get moneyback specials on your football betting at PaddyPower

It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 758 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38
 Post subject: Re: Who Says Footballers, Fans & Journalists Aren't Dumb?
PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:25 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Click The Link...http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/south-american-football-referee-beheaded-fans-killing-player-084120459.html

:blink:

Uhm yes .

Do I want to go to Brasil ?

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 1:04 am 
General
General

Highscores: 2
The stabbing shocking enough but a beheading?

That's horrible. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:31 pm 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

long time ago this topic was used .
means footballers fans and journo's behave normal?

Ehh , no .

Our national garden gnome Wesley Sneijder who is laughed at as being a bit on the short side and his missus got a baby boy
Seems normal?
Not when you call the kid Xess Xava Sneijder , initials XXS .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:50 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

fire extinguishers wrote:
long time ago this topic was used .
means footballers fans and journo's behave normal?

Ehh , no .

Our national garden gnome Wesley Sneijder who is laughed at as being a bit on the short side and his missus got a baby boy
Seems normal?
Not when you call the kid Xess Xava Sneijder , initials XXS .

Makes me glad we didn't sign him

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:13 am 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Highscores: 1
Does XXS mean the same in Dutch?

But with age my hopes have faded

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 1:33 am 
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

When in English it means extra extra small then yes .

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:31 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
On the same page
Some proper sense from Martin Samuel in Wednesday’s Daily Mail on the subject of Jack Grealish.

‘It is hard to get too excited about Jack Grealish’s latest late-night escapade,’ Samuel writes. ‘He is a young man out with his friends on a Saturday, hardly the crime of the century.

‘Yes, his team had lost 4-0 at Everton that afternoon, but there was nothing he could do to influence the result by then — and Aston Villa’s next fixture was close to a week away. Is it fair to hold a 20-year-old up to such scrutiny? Isn’t he allowed some down time, like the rest of us?’

No it isn’t fair, Martin. And yes, he is allowed some down time.

Now direct those questions to the MailOnline’s sports editor and whoever was responsible for the ‘Grealish in new party storm’ headline on the back page of your newspaper on Tuesday.

Sometimes you do get a nugget of common sense even from one of the biggest tw*t journalists.

For those of you not familiar with the story Grealish went out on Saturday night in Manchester until 4am with his mates and allegedly ended up taking 2 blonde girls back to his.

Anyone criticising the young man is just a jealous tw*t who's clearly hates his current life. As long as he's not doing it every single weekend I don't see the problem with players having a night out and enjoying some of the luxury that comes with being a rich young man it's not like he's got a mrs is it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:01 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Give it a (head)rest
The Sun have taken a sh*t on the UK with their backing of Brexit but as we face recession, an environment in which racists are given a mandate to be racist and the collapse of the political system, they have settled on the big news.

And once we have acknowledged that Little Mix’s Leigh-Anne has a rather lovely behind, though we wonder at what point ‘wearing a swimsuit on holiday’ became ‘doing a Kim’, we move on to the second biggest issue of the day.

Yes, it’s the ‘news’ that FA communications chief/’bigwig’/’fat cat’ Andy Walker has posted a pic on LinkedIn of his personalised headrest (and yes, it is one word regardless of your attempts to fit it into a simplistic headline). And did he sh*t on that headrest? Did he daub the words ‘free Raheem Sterling’ in his own excrement on said headrest? Did he rub his genitals…have we gone too far?

No, he put his head on said headrest. The utter, utter b***ard.

To be fair, it probably wasn’t sensible to post the picture online – especially if you’re a communications chief – but it’s unlikely that he could ever have predicted that the UK’s biggest-selling newspaper would ever think that a social media post about a headrest would be deemed the most important story in Britain.

Of course, the modern media being the modern media, it’s not Walker’s use of a personalised headrest that is the ‘EXCLUSIVE’ story, but the ‘fans’ fury’, because if there is one thing that is unusual on the internet, it’s people losing their minds over something entirely inconsequential.

One ‘fan’, Chad Mayoh, said (on The Sun’s front page):

“Maybe if we concentrated on developing footballers rather than fancy head rests we may get somewhere.”

Because of course Roy Hodgson was personally sewing personal head rests for the FA’s communications chief when he should have been teaching Harry Kane how to take free-kicks.

At best, this is a pathetic attempt to fill a front page on a slow news day. At worst, it’s the nasty, opportunistic persecution of a man for simply doing his job. It just happens that his job occasionally entails the use of a headrest.

Guilt by association
‘Other pictures of Mr Walker showed him with England duds including Raheem Sterling, who last week marked the team’s humiliation by posting a Snapchat video boasting of his millionaire lifestyle.’

Alternatively, Raheem Sterling’s friend posted a Snapchat video in which a 21-year-old man showed him around the house he had kindly bought for his mother.

Emergency landing
You may remember the Daily Mail’s Christian Gysin, he of ‘No wonder they’re losers! As England’s flops slink home, how Rooney & Co were distracted by dodgy hair, lucrative ad deals…and pouting WAGS’ fame. Well, not fame but considerable Mediawatch ire.

Well he’s back to bash England again and this is apparently the best he could muster…

‘Just when England fans thought things couldn’t get any worse, it’s emerged the three Wales goalscorers in their win against Belgium were all born in England.’

Yes, it has ’emerged’ – presumably through Wikipedia – that Ashley Williams was born in Wolverhampton (in 1984), Hal Robson-Kanu was born in Acton (in 1987) and Sam Vokes was born in Southampton (in 1989).

Emerged? Surely this is worth a REVEALED.

Really can't understand how people can be annoyed about this sort of stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:47 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Treating me like a Rose
Mediawatch has said it so regularly that it’s annoying us as well as you, but when the opposite of a story is more interesting, the original is hardly a story at all. Take The Sun on Danny Rose drinking a pint of beer, for example.

‘DANNY ROSE will escape any punishment from Tottenham for boozing in public just 72 hours before his side’s crunch match at home to Chelsea. The left-back was seen on TV with a pint in his hand watching the PDC’s World Championships semi-finals in London on Sunday.’

There had been no suggestion that Rose would face sanction, nor even that anyone at Tottenham was unhappy with him. At least ‘boozing in public’ made us laugh.

‘Tottenham star Danny Rose enjoyed a pint among the 3,000-strong crowd at the darts. Many would have been shocked to see the defender necking alcohol so soon after starring in Spurs’ 4-1 win at Watford earlier that day.’

‘Necking alchohol’. God bless you, hyperbolic language. Given that Antonio Conte allows his players to drink a beer in the changing room after games, we’re not sure that there is any limit on how ‘so soon’ after a match is advisable.

‘And it came just ahead of Tottenham’s biggest game of the season so far, when they host Premier League leaders Chelsea on Wednesday.’

By ‘just ahead’, The Sun mean 72 hours before. Will he still be p*ssed?

‘But White Hart Lane boss Mauricio Pochettino is prepared to overlook the incident as Rose was on a night off, did not get drunk and has performed so spectacularly this season.’

So ‘footballer drinks one beer and nobody is bothered’, then. Disgusting.

So timeline wise Spurs played on Sunday lunchtime and won 4-1 Rose went to the darts that evening and by all accounts had 1 beer and mixed with the public there is no allegation of him misbehaving in anyway or being a big time tw*t.

Why are people from other sports allowed to celebrate but footballers aren't?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 10:56 am 
Major
Major

Highscores: 10
JSP wrote:
Quote:
Treating me like a Rose
Mediawatch has said it so regularly that it’s annoying us as well as you, but when the opposite of a story is more interesting, the original is hardly a story at all. Take The Sun on Danny Rose drinking a pint of beer, for example.

‘DANNY ROSE will escape any punishment from Tottenham for boozing in public just 72 hours before his side’s crunch match at home to Chelsea. The left-back was seen on TV with a pint in his hand watching the PDC’s World Championships semi-finals in London on Sunday.’

There had been no suggestion that Rose would face sanction, nor even that anyone at Tottenham was unhappy with him. At least ‘boozing in public’ made us laugh.

‘Tottenham star Danny Rose enjoyed a pint among the 3,000-strong crowd at the darts. Many would have been shocked to see the defender necking alcohol so soon after starring in Spurs’ 4-1 win at Watford earlier that day.’

‘Necking alchohol’. God bless you, hyperbolic language. Given that Antonio Conte allows his players to drink a beer in the changing room after games, we’re not sure that there is any limit on how ‘so soon’ after a match is advisable.

‘And it came just ahead of Tottenham’s biggest game of the season so far, when they host Premier League leaders Chelsea on Wednesday.’

By ‘just ahead’, The Sun mean 72 hours before. Will he still be p*ssed?

‘But White Hart Lane boss Mauricio Pochettino is prepared to overlook the incident as Rose was on a night off, did not get drunk and has performed so spectacularly this season.’

So ‘footballer drinks one beer and nobody is bothered’, then. Disgusting.

So timeline wise Spurs played on Sunday lunchtime and won 4-1 Rose went to the darts that evening and by all accounts had 1 beer and mixed with the public there is no allegation of him misbehaving in anyway or being a big time tw*t.

Why are people from other sports allowed to celebrate but footballers aren't?

One word - clickbait. :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:11 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

It's not even click bait the Sun have got a real issue with young footballers and the way they behave off the pitch they assume they should all be saints who finish a game of football and lock themselves in their houses until the next game and never go out in public and enjoy a drink or have a smoke or place a bet or indulge in other things like s*x with multiple women you know all the fun stuff :wink:

It basically boils down to they like to play on our jealousy of these people who were lucky to make it and earn loads of money like it's a bad thing that a kid who might have come from working class beginnings and through hard work and talent has made himself a millionaire. They seem to want to suggest that this is a bad thing like how dare they earn loads of money and they always compare what they earn to a normal job especially jobs that are public sector jobs that aren't that well paid like soldiers or nurses or teachers.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 5:55 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
Footballer Roberto Firmino has been banned from driving for a year and fined £20,000 for drink-driving.

The 25-year-old Brazil international was arrested after his Range Rover was stopped in Liverpool city centre in the early hours of Christmas Eve.

In a statement, the Liverpool FC forward said what he did was wrong and "apologised without reservation".

The club said it had "disciplined" him but the action would remain private and it would not affect his selection.

'Bad example'

Liverpool Magistrates' Court heard Firmino was arrested on Strand Street after his car was seen to cross into the opposite carriageway near Central bus station.

Michael Hogan, defending, said the incident happened the day after the footballer's family home in Mossley Hill was targeted by burglars who were "prepared to use extreme force".

He added the footballer had been under considerable anxiety and distress after the burglary and he and his family had had to move to a city centre hotel.

Despite that, District Judge Miriam Shelvey said it was Firmino's responsibility to check he was not over the limit.

After the hearing, Firmino released a statement which said: "What I have done is wrong and sets a bad example."

He added: "I promise to everyone in the LFC family that I will learn from this mistake, learn from this experience, and not repeat it in the future."

Firmino played in Tuesday night's 1-1 draw against Chelsea at Anfield.

He was signed from Hoffenheim on a five-year deal for £29m in 2015.

As far as I'm concerned if you're driving you shouldn't have anything to drink I lost a friend in a drink driving incident so I've never understood why people think it's ok to get behind the wheel after a drink.

Doesn't really effect these guys though he'll probably just pay his mate to be his driver for the next year probably makes bein sly behind his mrs back a bit more difficult but I'm sure he'll sort it out.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:07 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

Quote:
So what do you do when your betting company’s stunt backfires and a man prone to depression feels he has no choice but to resign from the club he loves?

What do you do when a man resigns on realising that eating a pie in the dug-out in the full knowledge that his friends have placed money on him eating a pie in the dug-out has not only landed himself in trouble but embarrassed his club?

What do you do when you have clearly encouraged that man to break betting rules while making him a figure of fun for his weight problems?

Why, you shift the blame, of course. You point the finger elsewhere. You attempt to whip up ‘fan fury’. You make your man feel really bloody special by referring to him twice as ‘roly-poly goalie’ on the front page of your newspaper. And you keep using the word ‘sacked’ because ‘resigned’ would suggest that your man absolutely knew he had made an error of judgement and that you too might be culpable.

As his former manager Paul Doswell reveals on BBC Radio 5 live that Wayne Shaw was “crying” on the phone when resigning from the club and was “very, very sorry about the whole situation”, The Sun were claiming that he was ‘sacked over snack’. Because of course getting sacked over eating a pie is ludicrous, right lads? Lads? Lads lads lads.

If Mediawatch weren’t so disgusted by The Sun’s deliberate obfuscation of the facts, we would be amused by their use of the words ‘novelty bet’ on the front page. Because of course ‘novelty bets’ are placed by ‘novelty gamblers’ who can win or lose ‘novelty money’.

We might also be amused at the idea that ‘hundred of hits’ on a petition to reinstate Shaw (can you reinstate a man who has resigned?) is being cited as evidence that ‘FANS were fuming’. Fans of what? Wayne Shaw? The Sun? Banter? Definitely banter.

The Sun are right to say that Shaw has been ‘HUNG OUT TO PIE’. They’re just wrong about the identity of the executioners.

I saw him scoff down that pie on TV and thought fair play he's obviously taking the p*ss as by that point he wasn't coming on but when I later realised that he did it for publicity reasons my attitude towards it changed he probably didn't think about the wider picture but basically what he did was fix a bet I think he did it innocently but it's cost him his job.

Trying to shift the blame is just standard Sun reporting tactics they probably don't care that becausee of it this guy has had to quit his job they've got all the publicity they wanted for their new betting company.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:12 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I'd be shocked if the Sun didn't pay him to do it.

To much of a coincidence they're the only firm offering the market and the clubs kit sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:51 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I don't think they could pay him directly as they'd basically be paying him to fix the outcome of a bet which I'm pretty sure is illegal but assuming he knew about the bet before he did it and then did it on purpose to secure the outcome of that bet he's basically guilty of spot fixing which can end up with you going to prison see those Pakistan cricketers. Also, as a player he's banned from betting on a football match

Sun Bet sponsored the team as a one off for the game and they offered that novelty bet doubt they expected it to pay out but when it did they probably didn't realise the potentially issues this little bit of fun could cause.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:03 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

If he knew about the bet. He's saying he did isn't he fixing the bet either way? The result is totally dependant on him and by not eating a pie he's ensuring the result of the bet also.

As long as he hasn't explicitly told anyone he's going to eat a pie I can't see how he can face criminal charges. He has said 'I told a few friends before the game that I hadn't eaten all day'

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:38 pm 
General of the Army
General of the Army

I doubt it will ever go that far just saying if the authorities wanted to look into it then he could be in trouble but likelihood is when the dust settles in a few weeks they'll probably brush it under the carpet.

Sad thing is that guy has had to resign from his job because of it probably intended as a bit of harmless fun that at non league level goes un-noticed but put on national TV plus social media stuff people have spotted something and it's been blown up.

Sun Bet are laughing they've got loads of publicity off it and they've probably paid out a few grand most of which punters will probably lose on other bets not many people actually withdraw funds from a betting account.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:17 pm 
Colonel
Colonel

They apparently paid out in total a 5-figure sum. Which is paltry in the grand scheme of things, max bet for it was a tenner too, so they'd only have needed 125 max bets to pay a 5-figure sum. Shocking this guy has lost his job because of the scum at the sun and their bookies.

Devil_Spawn wrote:
True, it is marginally better... I miss my childhood days where trainers were velrcoed.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 758 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38